Analysis 2024 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Shapes as a “bolter” doubt we will get a look at him. If we get a pick before a Campo bid, absolutely would be bloody hard to go past.

I am sort of hoping that clubs reach for the talls and peripheral players pushing up the draft order. Could well lead to Ben surviving until the early second round. Everything crossed.
I'd be happy if we took him because it would mean I'd have a means of getting ITK info from someone at the club finally. I still think Berry or Travaglia would be the best picks around our mark if they make it that far. Certainly wouldn't complain about Armstrong though.

Shapes as a “bolter” doubt we will get a look at him. If we get a pick before a Campo bid, absolutely would be bloody hard to go past.

I am sort of hoping that clubs reach for the talls and peripheral players pushing up the draft order. Could well lead to Ben surviving until the early second round. Everything crossed.

I think cal twomey mentioned that Ben would probably be a top 25 pick normally but as he’s a father son he will drift out a bit, as father sons tend to do.

I took that to mean Ben could be bid on roughly around pick 30.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I said it before Armstrong is our man if available at our pick would be mad not to take imagine a forward line with Curnow, Mckay and Armstrong .He will be a player bookmark it don't worry about the illness and injury of the past .

I said it before Armstrong is our man if available at our pick would be mad not to take imagine a forward line with Curnow, Mckay and Armstrong .He will be a player bookmark it don't worry about the illness and injury of the past .
I can mount arguments both for and against Armstrong. His highlights are good, a couple great, yet has also had some opportunistic scores. I have yet to see anything to suggest he is overly clean and skilled at ground level, but is quite combative. Love him on face value, but jury still out with closer scrutiny. We have a poster with some insight on a personal note, (hoping for a little more Walshy)

Need larger sample size to “lock in” on him. Face value I like a lot, and often selecting “keys” is more about moments than substance. To take a tall forward, we would need another Charlie type, as per rumour, so that they can be integrated with varied roles. Charlie and Harry aren’t going anywhere for five years, but we do need a “seasoned” replacement. Lemmey and O’Keeffe are both decent candidates to be integrated as 3rd tall/second ruck, so an athletic option is definitely next cab off the rank.

The type of KPD we need to play beside Weiters can be acquired later in the draft, or even from state leagues. I look at Buckley at GWS, Murphy who is now desperately missed at Collingwood, Payne at Brisbane and plenty of other key defenders around the competition, they can be found late in proceedings. (I have hopes for Mardini).

Thinking the projections for Matt Duffy may influence our drafting a little too.

Looking at the game highlights of Armstrong in the championships, I can say - not impressed.
So many question marks just from that limited viewing.

We have a poster with some insight on a personal note, (hoping for a little more Walshy)
I'm certainly not his best mate by any means but I'd say he's more freak talent than supreme professional. With that said my connection to him is from an amateur footy club where he took the absolute piss out of the comp as a 16-17 year old, so its a bit hard to say what he's like compared to what he'd be like at Sandy and the professional pathways. I'll ask one of his closer mates from the club at training tonight if he's around. He also plays for the dragons with him so would have a better idea.

Certainly a really good kid though, still comes down to support his school mates playing and always friendly to everyone.

RMC have released their July power rankings.

Neither Campo in the top-30!

Can't say I'm impressed by the top end of this draft at all. Would take Trainor in a heartbeat, but the top 5 here to me are a bit 'meh'. At least compared to the past few years.

I think this is going to be a very odd draft. Id argue 3 of those players shouldn't even be in the top 10 and 2 of them are rated in the top 5 on those rankings.

Such evenness across the top 20 or so prospects is quite an unusual occurrence

I think this is going to be a very odd draft. Id argue 3 of those players shouldn't even be in the top 10 and 2 of them are rated in the top 5 on those rankings.

Exactly - especially the mids.

There are genuinely 40+ players who have claims to the first round in this draft. It is just so subjective. Just to add, there are probably a dozen outside that forty, that I would see as good picks for the Blues.

Take a look at the BigFooty Draft Hub. Post championships, there are usually a dozen “phantoms” or “power rankings”, there are exactly three posters game to put up their opinions.

If I was to put up my rankings, I would feel compelled to “slide” plenty of the long term highly rated boys. A draft to be conservative at the top end for mine. Feeling there are a handful of projected guns who will be more likely in the solid role player or unrealised potential category than the top tier. There are, however a good number of “bankers” who will be safe picks.

I am well researched and confident with a lot of opinions, but no expert, and a lot of judgements would be “gut” related due to insufficient evidence.

Tough draft. FWIW, I think Ben Campo is guaranteed to be a solid player. High floor, uncertain ceiling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neither Campos in Twomey's power rankings. Music to my ears tbh.

Bens kicking will scare a lot of teams off, good for us re draft price but he hopefully he can address it with a big pre season at the club. I can't see him playing regular senior footy with his current ball drop issues.

Bens kicking will scare a lot of teams off, good for us re draft price but he hopefully he can address it with a big pre season at the club. I can't see him playing regular senior footy with his current ball drop issues.
I think he'll be coming into a great environment with us. Cripps has worked on his kicking religiously and gotten it to a good level. Hopefully Elijah will show him how it's done as well.

I think he'll be coming into a great environment with us. Cripps has worked on his kicking religiously and gotten it to a good level. Hopefully Elijah will show him how it's done as well.
Id say his kicking is a fair way below Cripps when he started. Bens ball drop causes a lot of helicopters when he's kicking on the run

I said from the outset that neither Campo struck me as a top 20 pick (Lucas, in particular, looks more like a rookie selection) so I'm not surprised by these two power-ranking placements.

As much as the top end of this draft isn't stunning, I really think it's a solid draft with lots of different types of players available. I think we could strive for another Cowan-type selection by trading a future pick into the mid-second round to grab a slider. If we could get two players ahead of a bid on Ben Campo that would be a great result.

I can mount arguments both for and against Armstrong. His highlights are good, a couple great, yet has also had some opportunistic scores. I have yet to see anything to suggest he is overly clean and skilled at ground level, but is quite combative. Love him on face value, but jury still out with closer scrutiny. We have a poster with some insight on a personal note, (hoping for a little more Walshy)

Need larger sample size to “lock in” on him. Face value I like a lot, and often selecting “keys” is more about moments than substance. To take a tall forward, we would need another Charlie type, as per rumour, so that they can be integrated with varied roles. Charlie and Harry aren’t going anywhere for five years, but we do need a “seasoned” replacement. Lemmey and O’Keeffe are both decent candidates to be integrated as 3rd tall/second ruck, so an athletic option is definitely next cab off the rank.

The type of KPD we need to play beside Weiters can be acquired later in the draft, or even from state leagues. I look at Buckley at GWS, Murphy who is now desperately missed at Collingwood, Payne at Brisbane and plenty of other key defenders around the competition, they can be found late in proceedings. (I have hopes for Mardini).

Thinking the projections for Matt Duffy may influence our drafting a little too.
This is an interesting one because absolutely you can find them there but that doesn’t make it easy. Since the start of our rebuild we have had probably 7-8 attempts at it and failed.

If Draper made it to 9 I'd be absolutely shocked. Would say to trade up for him but not sure we'd have the currency to do so.

I have him 1st in the open draft ahead of Smillie, FOS etc
We agree on something. I know it doesn’t meet popular convention, but on exposed form, even factoring under age exploits, I have Draper as a personal first. Trainor second, partly given likely to be Kangas pick. Doug Wade played his later career there and was a long term official at the club. His grandson is needs and connected. Two is not a reach for Trainor, he is one who could play at either end, so is not limited as KPD only. The third “banker” is Jagga Smith, high volume, athletic, decent skills.

Ashcroft and Lombard are around the mark. I find Ashcroft a lite version of his brother, definitely top 10, but not quite pointy end for me. Lombard is a gun, went missing in the wet one champs game so a hint of selective input seen by me. Have him higher than Ashcroft.

Smilie projects big boy who for everything special he does, fumbles or poor game sense shows up. No way writing him off as a top prospect, but if I was recruiting, would not totally trust him to outlay draft “gold”. O’Sullivan would not be top 10 on exposed form, but returning from injury, difficult read, underage was phenomenal, likely to still go pointy end.

Where does Travaglia fit, has to be top 10. Looks more than just a rebounder and could translate to the engine room. Better version of a very likeable Josh Weddle?

Reid, Lindsay, Langford all VERY solid citizens who could sneak top five depending on drafter subjectivity. Ivisic could just sneak into that range too, easy to overlook, but deep dive serves him well.

Lalor is the big watch as to how high? Not high volume, but highlights suggest that “Dusty like” forward/mid bull, could easily go top five. Has a big asterisk as a potential top liner.

Not enamoured by Moraes and Gross, don’t see them as high as “advertised”. Hybrid. defender/mid Allan first round likely, but not pointy end. Jack Ough could be a special winger.

Where to Berry and Kako fit? Could slot in top ten with X-Factor depending on what clubs are seeking. Hotton was the form standout of the Coates League before his ACL, Could well be at the pointy end. Not a big fan of Malakai Champion, second rounder at best for me. (Dattoli, Day-Wicks, and a personal watch of SA’s Jacob Newton are above for mine)

Forward leaning hybrids Cooper Hynes and WA Hamish Davis as well as undersized key Bailey McKenzie get less press than deserved.

Then we look further at the talls, who always go higher than exposed form suggests. Harry Armstrong is flavour of the month. The Whitlocks are a hard read, not impossible to sneak top 10. Tom Sims does some great things, but his disposal is untidy. Monty Faull returning after injury may have some credits banked and “poll higher”. I would personally lean to Jobe Shanahan from the Allies mobile and hard working, but can take a contested grab. I have him higher than the media. We saw little if Harry O’Farrell, (son of), outside of Trainor, the highest rated KPD of the group. Probably still mid to late first round and sits as my favourite needs based pick for us.

There are a handful of other talls in the top 30 mix that may have some clubs reaching for, but have questions to be answered or “affiliations” (Gerreyn, Welsh)

Not in top 10 discussions but Oliver, Artemis, Clarke, Montgomerie, Boxshall and Grego have had some good moments among the defenders.

That massive number of “prospects” suggest we will get Ben and Lucas for fair prices, maybe even discount prices if SOS and Dodo can be prevented from playing prick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2024 National Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back