List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
JSOS has bulked up significantly while he's been rehabbing the knee - if we don't have him training with the backline during the off-season I'll hurl.

Is he exactly what our backline needs? No - we'd love a 200cm bloke with sticky hands, an elite kick, incredible acceleration and the ability to read the play like Magnus bloody Carlsen.

But he's on the list already, he's as tall as many other "key-ish" defenders, he has excellent field kicking and game sense, and he gives 120% every game he plays. Plus he's spent enough time forward that he can be swung up there if we need to change things up or cover an injury in-game, and he's passable as a supporting ruck rotation.

If he was fit, I'd be playing him ahead of Kemp and Marchbank without question. I think that by next season his spot up forward will be almost impossible to reclaim, he's simply not dangerous enough as a third tall to draw a tall defender, and I think we're better off with a variety of smalls at the feet of Charles and Harry rather than playing an average third tall forward for the sake of some height.

Repurpose JSOS as a defender - start Weitering, Gov and JSOS down back, play Kemp off the bench as a utility at both ends, retain Young as our contracted depth option (coverage for Weitering missing, or two of the other three). Draft and develop a KPD with a late/rookie pick behind that lot.

Focus our early draft on speed and/or ball use at the coalface and ahead of the ball. Xavier Lindsay, Joe Berry, Tobie Travaglia, Taj Hotton, Cooper Hynes, Cristian Moraes - there are plenty of options.

JSOS, Weitering, Cowan
Saad, McGovern, Newman
Hollands*, Cripps, Acres
TDK, Walsh, Hewett
Hollands, McKay, Williams
Motlop, Curnow, Owies
I/C: Kemp, Cerra, Cincotta, Fogarty
SUB: any of Boyd, Kennedy, Carroll, Hollands*, Cottrell, Durdin, Fantasia, or the developing kids (Moir, Wilson, Binns etc.)
*Wait and see on Doc, but I'd consider him taking Hollands' wing on his return.
SNAP !!
I would expect Jack to perform very well as a lockdown Backman. I'd try him at FB and move weiters to CHB as intercept
Jack is way too good of a footballer to not have in Best 22. I reckon he would excel at FB because he plays taller than he is (I'd imagine him being Scarlett like) and he is very good one on one (has held his own against bigger Rucks).
Absolutely best 22 and KPD waiting to happen.

There are a number of strategies to improve KPD stocks, either option would still require moving on 2 of Marchbank, Durdin Young

1. Target an older type, T McDonald, McGovern, Howard (different levels of draft capital) and draft a KPD, 4-5 in our range this year

2. I'd part with our 1st rounder this year in a deal to secure Harry Edwards

In: Edwards, F2nd, F3rd

Out: Carroll, this year's 1st, F2nd

There are a number of strategies to improve KPD stocks, either option would still require moving on 2 of Marchbank, Durdin Young

1. Target an older type, T McDonald, McGovern, Howard (different levels of draft capital) and draft a KPD, 4-5 in our range this year

Was having a watch through Edwards games last night before I dozed off. Looks a natural despite not appearing to be in peak condition for an AFL footballer. Could be a real player in the future.

Still, think WCE would prefer to push Gov out the door than lose him given the age differences.

Was having a watch through Edwards games last night before I dozed off. Looks a natural despite not appearing to be in peak condition for an AFL footballer. Could be a real player in the future.

Still, think WCE would prefer to push Gov out the door than lose him given the age differences.

If I was the Eagles, I wouldn't want to lose Edwards either, I think he will be a seriously good KPD

I would be disappointed if we were lose Carroll .. he still young at 21 , think with his agility & size he can play a multiple positions down the track. Hes tough , deceptively strong & has great movement, reckon next year & 2026 he will take his game to another level. Agree we need a quality tall + 196cm defender & is athletic to balance out with Weiters.

I would be disappointed if we were lose Carroll .. he still young at 21 , think with his agility & size he can play a multiple positions down the track. Hes tough , deceptively strong & has great movement, reckon next year & 2026 he will take his game to another level. Agree we need a quality tall + 196cm defender & is athletic to balance out with Weiters.
I also think Jack Carroll has something to offer. But, as it is, we're probably going to have to make at least 3 changes to main list, and that means players like Carroll may not be here next year...

And just for the exercise, look at next year's OOC players:
1. Jack Silvagni
3. Jesse Motlop
5. Adam Cerra
7. Matthew Kennedy
11. Mitch McGovern
12. Tom De Koning
14. Orazio Fantasia
15. Sam Docherty
17. Brodie Kemp
23. Jacob Weitering
24. Nic Newman
29. George Hewett (RFA)
31. Harry Lemmey
34. Rob Monahan (International Rookie Cat B)
35. Billy Wilson
36. Cooper Lord - MSD (Rookie)
39. Alex Cincotta (Pre-season SSP 2023)
42. Adam Saad

Whould JSOS be an option down back to assist Weitering?

SNAP !!

Jack is way too good of a footballer to not have in Best 22. I reckon he would excel at FB because he plays taller than he is (I'd imagine him being Scarlett like) and he is very good one on one (has held his own against bigger Rucks).

A few have raise concerns he doesnt have the pace to play full back, but I’m not sure i see it as much of an issue, i dont see players like May and Ryan as being fast, a lock down defender role for SOS would be good exploring.

Well shit... There's some interesting speculation going on over on the Port board. Far out I'd trade out Kennedy, Hewett and Carroll in a heartbeat to clear cap space for him. A noted massive Ken lover, could be curtains for his time in SA if Kens given the arse?

Butters goneski? Same deal as Chad of the Wingard variety?

Or so I was told this morning.

Have heard similar.

Agent speaking with a couple of clubs apparently. Hawthorn, Essendon and Pies.

But could just be wild rumour - that’s what I’m hoping anyway.

No idea about Edwards but i think we should be going all out to trade for a best 18 player that fills a need, regardless of pick cost, i am concerned about trading players like Carrol, even though i dont think he’s quite up to the standard.

We traded Dow and Fish who were both in the 20-25 player range, then missed them both come the start of the season, both players bar injury would have played a heap, raising the level of our bottom 6 players, when not required both would have made our VFL a lot more competitive.

By losing Carrol, wed go in to next year with no VFL players with any meaningful AFL experience, lose a mid to injury and wed be hoping Wilson could come in or one of the Campos, i dont see it as a good situation for a premiership contender.

Only two seasons ago we had Setters, Dow and Curnow playing seconds, at the moment we have just Carrol as a player with AFL games.

Cut the injury prone, cut the project players and keep the depth that contributes.

A few have raise concerns he doesnt have the pace to play full back, but I’m not sure i see it as much of an issue, i dont see players like May and Ryan as being fast, a lock down defender role for SOS would be good exploring.
He lacks pace, lacks the strength of a May, and is not that strong in the air - his skill set is that of a medium-sized pressure forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well shit... There's some interesting speculation going on over on the Port board. Far out I'd trade out Kennedy, Hewett and Carroll in a heartbeat to clear cap space for him. A noted massive Ken lover, could be curtains for his time in SA if Kens given the arse?

We would needed to clean houses a lot, Port would want top picks, Butters would want good $$$, but geez he would be ideal.

Ken gets the ass.
Hansen is appointed by West Coast.
Vossy reaches out to his old boss Ken to replace Hansen in a coaching director/mentor role.
Ken, Vossy, Brad Ebert & Orazio take Butters out for a nice Italian dinner on Lygon Street..."we're just friends Zac!"
Brad Lloyd conveniently wanders past around dessert time with a photo of Patty Cripps & a contract in hand...

Simples.

Last edited:
Whould JSOS be an option down back to assist Weitering?

Bris : Harris Andrews 202cm capt
Freo : Alex Pearce 201cm capt
Coll : Darcy Moore 203cm capt
GWS : Sam Taylor 198cm
Geel : SDK 204cm
Ess : Ben McKay 202cm
Foot : Rory Lobb 207cm
GC : Mac Andrew 202cm
North : Charlie Comben 199cm

We have Weitering at 195cm supported by the even shorter McGovern and Kemp.

The above listed players are amongst their clubs elite and are deployed as weapons in turning defence into attack.
TDK is listed as 201cm.
Athletic, agile, talented and brave … he too is a weapon … our weapon.
Reckon we can better utilise his ability in defence alongside Weitering rather than see him blunted by opposition gorillas in the ruck where we have our own gorilla in Pittonet to do battle and supply our midfield …

He lacks pace, lacks the strength of a May, and is not that strong in the air - his skill set is that of a medium-sized pressure forward.

How much pace do you need to play as a lockdown FB? Would he be quicker than Young or Durdin? If you are looking for a quality 2nd defender then yeah i might agree, but if we are looking for an improvement on those two, then i think he might be better.

Would any lack of strength in the past be because he has been playing positions that require more aerobic capacity? If he trains as a full back, could he work on his strength?

Im not sure about being weak in the air part.

I know it wont happen now, but i dont see us losing much in trying TDK at CHB at least once or twice. Voss seems to like the idea of two rucks, so instead of having TDK getting in the way up forward when he’s not in the ruck, why not trial him down back?

He’s a good mark, is fast, is very good when the ball hits the ground.

How much pace do you need to play as a lockdown FB? Would he be quicker than Young or Durdin? If you are looking for a quality 2nd defender then yeah i might agree, but if we are looking for an improvement on those two, then i think he might be better.

Would any lack of strength in the past be because he has been playing positions that require more aerobic capacity? If he trains as a full back, could he work on his strength?

Im not sure about being weak in the air part.
If you're hoping to match people on the lead, plenty. The ideal partner for Weiters would be an explosive/athletic type.
At a guess, he'd be similar in pace but conceding size and strength to both. We all love his endeavour but I do have concern that he's a walking mismatch as a KPD.

What I mean is, that contested marking has never really been his go.

I know it wont happen now, but i dont see us losing much in trying TDK at CHB at least once or twice. Voss seems to like the idea of two rucks, so instead of having TDK getting in the way up forward when he’s not in the ruck, why not trial him down back?

He’s a good mark, is fast, is very good when the ball hits the ground.

Well Voss and Carlton are a pretty conservative lot it must be said.
But surely the off season is there to fully explore every avenue and get the best possible value from our list …

Yep, we should move heaven and earth to get this done if it's on the cards.

Not seeing a lot of rage for Butters and his 38k of fines and counting for acts that generally would make a lot on here automatically put him in the shit bloke category.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

SNAP !!

smart too. can never have too much footy IQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back