List Mgmt. 2024 List Management šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow!!!
I was just told that Melbourne are into Cerra big time to replace Brayshaw in their midfield.
I haven't heard this but apparently Cerra actually wanted to go to the Demons before he nominated us but the Dees wouldn't have been able to facilitate a trade.
Now this came from someone who has never had any inside info before so don't take it as gospel. Just passing on what I was told.

Not at all true, know the family well, he went through the process with both clubs and choose Carlton.
This is not at all factual.

Not surprised by Melbourne's interest and can confirm the validity of it coming down to Melbourne and Carlton. Some talk that we were second choice at the time but not by much and a trade to Carlton was much easier to work out for Cez and the Dockers than the convoluted mess of a trade Melvourne would have required.

But can also confirm macky's response. Cez and family happy with the club with a sense of belonging snx purpose at the club .

Would take overs for him to go (no player untouchable Yada Yada)

Now we're hearing that it's Jordan Russell who is saying we're having a very heavy training load from pre-game Triple MMM.

I went digging for more information on this. Club increased training load compared to other parts of the season. However, players, coaches and club refusing to use it as an excuse or a reason in the drop off of form.

I think our coaching group lacks creative thinking. Very rigid and not tactically that great IMO. Looking at our coaches, they are all failures and rejects from other clubs. Doubt any clubs out there would be getting excited over obtaining any of them apart from Hansen. I'd be going after Simpson big time for midfield coach. He's a premiership senior coach and a premiership midfield coach.
Failures and rejects from other clubs is extremely harsh, and also largely not true. They were mostly recruited over to the club after stints at other clubs. Luke Power came from the coaching the AFL Academy, so he was highly rated within the industry.

Kemp is being played out of position. He needs to be played in a smaller role. He isn't a strong spoiler. Third tall or even a smaller defensive role. He's a decent half back and played ok there last season but we haven't gone back there. You like myself want to see him developed into a wingman. Even in the middle I would like to see it. We can see it. Coaches can't. About that...

Anyone who thinks Kemp canā€™t be a wingman doesnā€™t understand the modern game

Just watch Jones now at Essendon. Last few weeks has been excellent since moving there. Drafted at a CHF and is nearly 200cm. They have Cox on the other wing. Heā€™s 200cm. Becomes a great advantage

Great coaching

Wood at Saints, Acres with us are other examples. All former KPP now playing important wing roles.

Wing is so valuable now. A taller player that can get back and forward, can mark it as a release player up the line, and help out is invaluable

Last edited:

Even if it were true, that's no reason to throw him to the wolves at half-back.

Reason for this is pretty simple.

Every team has a playmaker these days off of half back. This is the role that he's supposed to be employed in. But it

With Boyd hurt we moved one of our mids back to add more movement off half back.

Club clearly wasn't expecting the negative consequences of him playing there.

Id be happy to trade in McGovern from the Weagles as a short term throw of the dice. Then draft someone like Oā€™Farrell with our 2nd pick for the longer term.

Say goodbye to Marchbank and Durdin.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Reason for this is pretty simple.

Every team has a playmaker these days off of half back. This is the role that he's supposed to be employed in. But it

With Boyd hurt we moved one of our mids back to add more movement off half back.

Club clearly wasn't expecting the negative consequences of him playing there.
Last year he was drifting back as the extra number in defence for us, and he was spotty but helped sweep the ground ball. Then we re-structured and the half-forwards provided midfield pressure and Newman, Williams and Saad could sweep fine.

That period of him dropping back told us he was never going to be good 1-on-1 unless he had a very favourable match up. Ditto Kennedy, though his defensive read is better.

Cerra was never the replacement for Boyd: Cowan was, with Cincotta coming in as a stopper. If it created a pace or endurance problem around stoppages, we need to address that with rotations of quicker players, particularly at the centre bounce.

So the answer is the same as what I've been proposing the last few weeks for midfield: move Walsh out of the centre bounce setup, reduce his appearances there to 25% or less unless he has a favourable match-up.

Port's line-up is a worst case scenario for him, but the coaches and Walsh were extremely arrogant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kemp is being played out of position. He needs to be played in a smaller role. He isn't a strong spoiler. Third tall or even a smaller defensive role. He's a decent half back and played ok there last season but we haven't gone back there. You like myself want to see him developed into a wingman. Even in the middle I would like to see it. We can see it. Coaches can't.

I remember people saying we failed with Dow and Stocker, that both would embarrass the club when they carve it up in the middle at another club, how has that worked out?

Some even suggested we should play Fogarty or Durdin in a BP, bizarre

I'd like to see Kemp developed as a 3rd tall forward, perhaps take some centre bounces, but he isn't a mid, and certainly not a wingman

I remember people saying we failed with Dow and Stocker, that both would embarrass the club when they carve it up in the middle at another club, how has that worked out?

Some even suggested we should play Fogarty or Durdin in a BP, bizarre

I'd like to see Kemp developed as a 3rd tall forward, perhaps take some centre bounces, but he isn't a mid, and certainly not a wingman
I'd like to see him split his time between forward and wing. I'd would not be against seeing him go on the ball.

I think he is a naturally good offensive player who is being forced to play a very defensive role.

If he is going to play back, play him half back flank. He can run.

But yeah, we got the Young and Kemp positions around the wrong way against Port.

Voss is a very very rigid coach. Our coaching department lack this. They lack the ability to see where players could play based on their attributes. It's a problem.

I'd be picking him in the forward pocket this week and having him go to the wing at times when the wingers come off. Even use him as a defensive winger who drops back into the D50 and fills a hole, would be really good at that.

Our list is full of holes and isn't balanced. We lack pace and decision makers with good ball use. Need to be creative with a tight salary cap and list needs. We need to make some tough decisions at seasons end.

We also need to ask questions in regards to why we have a tight salary cap.

We as a team have achieved nothing, a team in our position should not be struggling salary cap wise.

Richmond won a flag and then signed a free agent on $1M per season.

Geelong after being at the top for years and losing a GF, went out and got Cameron for around $1M per season.

We need a serious think if we have over subscribed on some deals and $$$$

I think when it comes to cap space, I think the media get confused because they look at this year's spending. Salary cap spending should always be 100%.

If it's 100% this year, it could be completely different next season and even more so the following season.

Every year we get told our cap space is tight. Yes, if we are managing the cap well we will be spending 100% every season. Every year we are offering good money to good players at other clubs, sometimes getting them and signing up all our required players.

Forget about this year's cap, what is next year's cap looking like? Or in two years time? Nothing stopping you from offering 800K to a player and back loading it so most is payed in the 3rd and 4th year.

IMO, there are no signs that our cap is tight.

I'd like to see him split his time between forward and wing. I'd would not be against seeing him go on the ball.

I think he is a naturally good offensive player who is being forced to play a very defensive role.

If he is going to play back, play him half back flank. He can run.

But yeah, we got the Young and Kemp positions around the wrong way against Port.

Voss is a very very rigid coach. Our coaching department lack this. They lack the ability to see where players could play based on their attributes. It's a problem.

I'd be picking him in the forward pocket this week and having him go to the wing at times when the wingers come off. Even use him as a defensive winger who drops back into the D50 and fills a hole, would be really good at that.

Don't see him ever playing as a wingman, doesn't have the attributes. Played most of his junior footy as a defender, but most don't lock down hard at that level

He is better offensively, because he isn't disciplined and or have the IQ as a defender, so I think as a forward it would suit him and the side

Most coaches are rigid, but, Williams forward, (also not a wingman) and Cincotta as a cooler have been decent changes

We might see a different side this week with the inclusion of some better cogs, but we are certainly in a form slump when it comes to full team commitment

We also need to ask questions in regards to why we have a tight salary cap.

We as a team have achieved nothing, a team in our position should not be struggling salary cap wise.

Richmond won a flag and then signed a free agent on $1M per season.

Geelong after being at the top for years and losing a GF, went out and got Cameron for around $1M per season.

We need a serious think if we have over subscribed on some deals and $$$$

Tigers signed a $1m FF, perhaps we have already spent similar money on the key forwards we have

Our list is poor. I have said it all year. Our Top 22-25 is very good but we fall away badly after that

LOOK at the numbers are they are scary. IMO this is the basis of our problems

We have used 34 players this year and this includes Docherty, Cuningham, Marchbank, S.Durdin, C.Durdin, Young, Martin that have played bugger all. Even Collignwood have used 40 and debuted 6 players from their Premiership year. Several clubs have used 38-40 players plus

Not including Docherty & Jack we have a number of players

Lemmey
O'Keefe
Akuei
Wilson
Monahan
Binns
Moir
Mirkov
M.Carroll
Lord (mid season)

that are on our list that are either not ready or not up to it. That is way too many. Either way that is a very unbalanced list especially when we carry so many injury prone players

On top of this players like Walsh, Cerra, Weitering are having to play underdone or not close to 100% fit

We have also not had ONE debutant for us unless you include Elijah & Fantasia

That means we are trying to get through a season (and win a flag) with around 30-32 players. This is ridiculous

IMO this is a our biggest issue and could cost us a flag
Our list is poor. I have said it all year. Our Top 22-25 is very good but we fall away badly after that

LOOK at the numbers are they are scary. IMO this is the basis of our problems

We have used 34 players this year and this includes Docherty, Cuningham, Marchbank, S.Durdin, C.Durdin, Young, Martin that have played bugger all. Even Collignwood have used 40 and debuted 6 players from their Premiership year. Several clubs have used 38-40 players plus

Not including Docherty & Jack we have a number of players

Lemmey
O'Keefe
Akuei
Wilson
Monahan
Binns
Moir
Mirkov
M.Carroll
Lord (mid season)

that are on our list that are either not ready or not up to it. That is way too many. Either way that is a very unbalanced list especially when we carry so many injury prone players

On top of this players like Walsh, Cerra, Weitering are having to play underdone or not close to 100% fit

We have also not had ONE debutant for us unless you include Elijah & Fantasia

That means we are trying to get through a season (and win a flag) with around 30-32 players. This is ridiculous

IMO this is a our biggest issue and could cost us a flag
Is this partly a coaching issue or purely a list management failing?

You have mentioned our players arenā€™t ready but could this just be an accepted position, rather than true?

How ready and up to it are the 40th picked pies players?
Our refusal to rotate more players through the squad would put huge strain on the fitness and bodies of players like Cripps and Walsh.

Surely we could have got a few games out of a couple more players.

I think when it comes to cap space, I think the media get confused because they look at this year's spending. Salary cap spending should always be 100%.

If it's 100% this year, it could be completely different next season and even more so the following season.

Every year we get told our cap space is tight. Yes, if we are managing the cap well we will be spending 100% every season. Every year we are offering good money to good players at other clubs, sometimes getting them and signing up all our required players.

Forget about this year's cap, what is next year's cap looking like? Or in two years time? Nothing stopping you from offering 800K to a player and back loading it so most is payed in the 3rd and 4th year.

IMO, there are no signs that our cap is tight.

Last year Cook did a presentation to our major sponsors/supporters. Iā€™m reliably told that he showed them that although 2022 was tight, that by 2024 we will be in good position to chase any player we felt we needed

This was a priority for Cook. I have faith he will have it under control. He did a great job with it at the Cats

We are going to waste the prime of the best collection of star players in the league if we donā€™t address the holes in our list this off-season.

Any player with a body that has proven it canā€™t withstand the rigours of a full season should be moved on. Any player that doesnā€™t have the faith of the MC should be moved on.
I like this but I feel lots of people do t realise how many injury prone players we are carrying.

Easy decisions: Carrol, Durdin, Marchbank, Cuningham, Martin

Hard decisions: Williams, Docherty, Silvagni, Fogarty

I doubt weā€™d move any of f the hard decision set on, which makes moving in the others a must.

if we have a tight cap, we should be thinking of trying to move Williams on, his contract is a burden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back