List Mgmt. 2024 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Moir will not go. He's contracted until the end of 2026.

It's not uncommon for first-year player making the move to Melbourne from interstate to need a transition year. At worst we'll see how he goes next year.

I don't see a question mark there at all. That's why I asked if he'd been a disaster (more off-field than on it).

That aside, in addition to looking at free agency this year I'd be keep to look at who is coming out of contract after next season and seeing if we can wrangle a target or two out a year earlier. At the very least you're laying the foundation of a potential acquisition 12 months from now.

Moir ain't going anywhere, club rates him highly

Here is a fun list management/injury tidbit (that i am pretty sure is correct, but i checked manually so might have missed something)

We are now in our 4th season with Williams, Martin and McGovern on the list - 89 games total. Those three players have played in the same team twice:
  • round 1 2022 (49pt win vs Richmond)
  • round 23 2022 (THAT 1pt loss to Collingwood)

Sam Walsh has NEVER played in the same team as all three of Williams, Martin and McGovern.

Tom McDonald would be a good option down back, he does very well on the mobile type tall forwards like Jeremy Cameron.
He’s a backman not a forward, seems Melbourne have finally seen the light on that experiment.
Must be holding out for a 2-3 year contract from Melbourne, who have plenty of cover in his position down back hence why they tried to turn him into a forward.
Maybe expendable to the Dees

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I rate him as a back man, i think he’d be really solid along side Weiters, but i think you need to give him more credit as a forward.

As a back man, who has clearly been thrown forward because they dont have anything else, he’s kicked 169 goals at 0.74 a game, if we lost one of Harry or Charlie, that’s a good back up option, despite how out of place he may look.

I hope we ask the question

This'll be unpopular.... Owies being a smart footballer is the biggest myth in the AFL at the moment. He's got a lot out of not much talent which is awesome but....

He runs horrible patterns, he snipes marks off the tall forwards on the lead because he always leads towards his forwards instead of creating space, he has no idea how to defend and is the single worst below his knees small I have ever seen. He cannot crumb or rove and he cannot read the drop of the ball whatsoever. He cannot pressure a defensive rebound and can't cut angles.

The quicker Durdins shoulder repairs and Moir develops the better.

This'll be unpopular.... Owies being a smart footballer is the biggest myth in the AFL at the moment. He's got a lot out of not much talent which is awesome but....

He runs horrible patterns, he snipes marks off the tall forwards on the lead because he always leads towards his forwards instead of creating space, he has no idea how to defend and is the single worst below his knees small I have ever seen. He cannot crumb or rove and he cannot read the drop of the ball whatsoever. He cannot pressure a defensive rebound and can't cut angles.

That is harsh. I think he reads it in the air really well, just not as a crumber. Biggest issue is he doesn't find much footy, only averaging 8.4 disp this year, so he needs to keep his goal average up. He's kick started us a few times, but definitely one we can afford to lose.

With every week he misses Durdin gets better and better. Problem is he is midfielder, not a small forward.

Owies only leaves if we can land a top notch replacement from another club.

I don’t think Moir is going to make it. I’d be ok trading him and a future first for Rachele. Then we could trade Owies.

With every week he misses Durdin gets better and better. Problem is he is midfielder, not a small forward.

Owies only leaves if we can land a top notch replacement from another club.

I don’t think Moir is going to make it. I’d be ok trading him and a future first for Rachele. Then we could trade Owies.
Why is Moir not going to make it?

He doesn’t have enough drive. Yes, he being a laconic type doesn’t preclude him from being a success, but I worry he never showed much in this area even as a junior IMO - I reckon it’s why he fell down the draft board - so I’m not sure it’s in his repertoire. The contrast to blokes like Cowan, Hollands and even Binns who seem very driven is stark. I could be, and hope I am, wrong of course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't be surprised if we're into Harry Edwards from West Coast with Jack Carroll potentially involved.

Had 9 marks & 17 disposals against the Saints a couple of weeks back.

A restricted free agent at end of 24', Edwards is a 23yo 200cm KPD that has shown nice ability to date albeit down the pecking order a little. I guess if they lose Tom Barass i'd say getting Edwards across would be unlikely.
Would be a fair replacement for Sam Durdin

Wouldn't be surprised if we're into Harry Edwards from West Coast with Jack Carroll potentially involved.

A restricted free agent at end of 24', Edwards is a 23yo 200cm KPD that has shown nice ability to date albeit down the pecking order a little. I guess if they lose Tom Barass i'd say getting Edwards across would be unlikely.
Edward’s is a good prospect and would welcome him with open arms.

Factually, West Coast seem happy to shop Barrass for a pay day pick wise, and Jeremy McGovern is close to the end. It is very hard to see us getting our hands on a WA boy destined to be the pillar of his home club for a decade.

I honestly don't think anyone is sure one way or another. He has rare skills but also in a long way off in basic stuff

I can't peg him at all. TBH I am not sure the clubs knows. I've heard mixed comments

I have heard people say he's another Troy Menzel and others say he could be a JUH.

Only thing I do know for sure is they nursed him through pre season because of injury history and have been building him up where he is now 100%

I want to see him with a full pre season and even playing practice games at senior level before assessing

I honestly don't think anyone is sure one way or another. He has rare skills but also in a long way off in basic stuff

I can't peg him at all. TBH I am not sure the clubs knows. I've heard mixed comments

I have heard people say he's another Troy Menzel and others say he could be a JUH.

Only thing I do know for sure is they nursed him through pre season because of injury history and have been building him up where he is now 100%

I want to see him with a full pre season and even playing practice games at senior level before assessing
We all do Soapy. Those prematurely writing him off are frustrating though. He is just starting to find his feet, and they are playing him forward now as opposed to a wing and further afield earlier, clearly not wanting him to “cruise” in the front half. I remain hopeful and somewhat confident he will make it.

Similar for Lemmey. He is certainly a developmental challenge, but if we can convince him how good he actually is/can be, we will have a player. Not every player is a natural alpha, but potential still can be realised. Just hope we have enough on field leadership to show these boys they belong. Lemmey seems to thrive getting a run on ball or playing behind the ball. May not be suited to natural playmaker roles. Still shows capacity to be a genuine swingman, and projects like he will benefit from sensible role rotation. With HOK going down, surely gets the gig as our second ruck to close out the season, unless we see fit to give Young those minutes unless he is required, heaven forbid, as a break glass prospect in the ones.

Hopefully we are. I know Melbourne are into him

We all do Soapy. Those prematurely writing him off are frustrating though. He is just starting to find his feet, and they are playing him forward now as opposed to a wing and further afield earlier, clearly not wanting him to “cruise” in the front half. I remain hopeful and somewhat confident he will make it.

Similar for Lemmey. He is certainly a developmental challenge, but if we can convince him how good he actually is/can be, we will have a player. Not every player is a natural alpha, but potential still can be realised. Just hope we have enough on field leadership to show these boys they belong. Lemmey seems to thrive getting a run on ball or playing behind the ball. May not be suited to natural playmaker roles. Still shows capacity to be a genuine swingman, and projects like he will benefit from sensible role rotation. With HOK going down, surely gets the gig as our second ruck to close out the season, unless we see fit to give Young those minutes unless he is required, heaven forbid, as a break glass prospect in the ones.

Agree and well said. There are always young players that maybe struggle early with the effort, physical work or mental side of the game. We forget they are so young.

It's why I believe we can't truly tell as we don't know if the mental side will "click". Some do, some don't.

With players like Moir & Lemmey the talent isn't the issue and only time will tell. I have seen little bits of improvement in both this year

Last edited:

Bizarre that people have Moir as a possible delist, especially he has a year to run on his draft year contract and the club rates him highly

Bewildering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back