List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Any thoughts on Nick Haynes as back up for a year or two?

Any thoughts on Nick Haynes as back up for a year or two?
He's aiming for a multiyear deal and I doubt it'll be on minimum wage. I don't think it's worth it unless your list is sparse on average (at this stage) talent, and I also don't think it's a smart allocation of our cap.

LIONS IN LEVI TALKS

NEGOTIATIONS continue on an agreement for father-son prospect Levi Ashcroft, with the AFL's new rules and uplift in total player payments making it potentially a landmark deal for an undrafted player.

As previously done with the likes of Collingwood's Nick Daicos, Essendon's Joe Daniher and Ashcroft's older brother Will at Brisbane, father-son prospects are able to essentially agree to longer contracts than the AFL's standardised first deals when they commit to nominating as a father-son in their draft campaign.

Daicos, in 2021, and Will Ashcroft the following season, both agreed to two extra years with their respective clubs as four-year deals, worth approximately $550,000-$600,000 in the third and fourth years. Daicos has since had his deal extended to be close to $1 million a season through to his free agency at the end of 2029.

The AFL's changed rules last year as part of the new collective bargaining agreement mean that top-20 picks are now locked in on initial three-year deals and that extensions can't officially be lodged and approved until after round six the following year.

However, 'handshake agreements' can be discussed, with the younger Ashcroft situation looming as a test case for the game's era of 'new money'.

NcWLuZ9b.jpg

00:48
If Ashcroft was to commit to two more years on top of his standard first three seasons, then he would be tied to the Lions through to the end of 2029, which will progress past the current CBA through to the next one.

Agents across the board are also looking for clubs to top up players deals for their fourth and fifth seasons for the money the players will not earn due to being capped in their third seasons, with many top draft picks under the previous model often earning between $400,000-$500,000 for their third and fourth seasons.

It means some clubs would expect Ashcroft, tipped to be a likely top-five pick at November's draft, to be valued around the $700,000 mark for those fourth and fifth seasons.

Ashcroft, who has been managing a shoulder injury, will play in Vic Metro's championship decider at Marvel Stadium on Sunday against Vic Country. Will Ashcroft officially nominated for the Lions in early August of his draft season. – Callum Twomey

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1168815

He's aiming for a multiyear deal and I doubt it'll be on minimum wage. I don't think it's worth it unless your list is sparse on average (at this stage) talent, and I also don't think it's a smart allocation of our cap.

Cbs What GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Denzel Washington Reaction GIF

Entice Harry Arnold back to the club if we don’t think Joyce is the answer (I don’t) or has Arnold not progressed in his time at the Swans?

I still believe in Joyce. He'll do the job and has the size/strength. For a depth key position, Joyce is pretty good value in my opinion.

EDIT: Remember we're talking about Joyce who for all intents and purposes is like 5 down in the depth chart. Harris, Payne, Gardiner, Doedee, Joyce. We can't really be expecting premium defender at those sort of levels.

Last edited:
The first one I was thinking about him heading to the Roos or Eagles. I'm not saying "our" because I don't think our list is anywhere that kind of shape.
:D all good, I thought you were having a moment switching between your GWS and Lions hats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep would not be surprised if Lyons was delisted, I have been to the last 2 reserves game live and Jarryd swayed me a little, he has been outstanding, well above VFL level, could be handy as depth and as an on field coach for our younger mids.

Agree Dev could well see the writing on the wall, particularly with 2 highly rated mids guaranteed to be coming in over this off season... same could also apply to Tunstill. We would not be getting much via trade either, 3rd round selection at the best for fringe players.
I agree with the delisting of Lyons. We let Matho go pretty much because he was taking midfield time away from developing youth. Same now with Lyons.

Dev on the other hand I'm keeping at least for next season, have him see out his contract. He is the only defensive mid on the list. Probably the only mid that could come in and play the Berry or even the Dunkley role inside. We've been much better in the middle with a cpl of hard heads banging into the opposition. Levi and Sam don't strike me as hard nuts, and even if we did draft one it may take a cpl of years for him to be ready. Tunstill is more expendable than Dev in my opinion.

That said … people will remember Bailey getting run down by Viney in the last, against Melbourne, but I’ve watched and rewatched that quarter at least 5 times and Bailey’s physical pressure was huge in some clutch moments. He is not in his best form / most consistent form at the minute, but he’s not far off. Admittedly, he’s never going to be a Dunkley or Lester when it comes to tackling, but it is an area where he can still develop. The issue with Bailey is that he is not a midfielder and is exposed when playing in the middle. He is an absolute natural on the half forward flank and should play his career there.
100% agree. I do believe there is the ability for his tackling to really improve. Send him, and a few others, to the Bronco's preseason for some tackling drills. Learn how to stop grabbing and drive the shoulder in. If not that, Courtney Hodder has great technique a lot could learn from. Even Bruuuce could show him a few things. I think he's also gotta stop thinking he's a front rower too, trying to break thru tackles.

Key backs are a real worry - we are extremely vulnerable to either Payne or Andrews being injured or heaven forbid both going down. I am sure the Club would be well aware of that.
We will have Darcy Gardiner back next year. Very capable of playing that second tall role. Hoping the rise of Morris, the improvement of Henry Smith and the ability of Ryan has ended the Gardiner to the fwds experiment for ever.

I'm OK with Joyce. Not a super player sure but good enough at the moment to fill in for a game or two and cheap. I do think he can tighten a few things up and be more reliable in the firsts. I'm all for an upgrade but who and at what cost?

While Gardiner and Joyce could get us out of trouble if needed next year I agree it would be more than handy to have another tall back on the books.

I still believe in Joyce. He'll do the job and has the size/strength. For a depth key position, Joyce is pretty good value in my opinion.

EDIT: Remember we're talking about Joyce who for all intents and purposes is like 5 down in the depth chart. Harris, LESTER, Payne, Gardiner, Doedee, Joyce. We can't really be expecting premium defender at those sort of levels.
EFA 👌

Whether it be through trade/FA or even as a delisted FA, we need to bring in at least one extra KPP player for a bit of depth at the end of the year. There’s no guarantee Dizz and/or Doedee make it back or certainly to the same level, but we can’t leave ourselves exposed next year to injuries in that position again.

The point of the chin is where boxers often get knocked out. Don't know the physiology behind it.
Chin is furthest from the brain therefore far more leverage to the vulnerable parts and if it's a significant blow the actual force and whiplash effect is more damaging than a direct hit to the forehead.

Which is why the uppercut is the blow likely to do the most damage in boxing. It rattles the brain.

Whether it be through trade/FA or even as a delisted FA, we need to bring in at least one extra KPP player for a bit of depth at the end of the year. There’s no guarantee Dizz and/or Doedee make it back or certainly to the same level, but we can’t leave ourselves exposed next year to injuries in that position again.

Maybe we should consider signing someone like Denver Grainger-Barras from Hawthorn as that young KPP depth player for in the next couple of years while we are in the premiership window.

Top 5 pick in the 2020 draft (195cm) but has struggled to play consistent footy with form/injury and would probably struggle to find a starting 22 spot in our side (with everyone available). However, he would not cost us via draft hand (NFA) and would be on cheap money if he moved here while having the potential to replace Lester in 1-2 years time, if Gardiner and Doedee don't perform as expected as we initially thought given their injury history or retire as well.

Only problem is KPDs are in such hot demand these days and clubs like Richmond and West Coast (and even Collingwood) would provide Grainger-Barras with an automatic selection in their AFL side next year and beyond so it would be highly unlikely we can snare him over here but we would do like trading from Hawthorn so you never know honestly :think:

Last edited:
Sam Day could be worth a look. Can play but injury prone. Keep him cotton wool until needed.

Back