List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tomlison at Dees is an interesting one too. Not sure of contract status
Agreed, I had thought about him and omitted him for reasons unknown to me. I believe McDonald, Tomlinson and Borlase are UFA. Khamis must be traded.

Unless we generate D capital through one of our own departing, I am not sure we will trade in anyone this year. In that case would draft a genuine tall once we have secured our two top academy boys. If that tall is also from the academy, grand.

Agreed, I had thought about him and omitted him for reasons unknown to me. I believe McDonald, Tomlinson and Borlase are UFA. Khamis must be traded.

Unless we generate D capital through one of our own departing, I am not sure we will trade in anyone this year. In that case would draft a genuine tall once we have secured our two top academy boys. If that tall is also from the academy, grand.
To me Gillet is a player that we could draft as a project player can be developed to play as a ruckman/forward .

The 3 you mentioned I'm sure could do it at a pinch. But they are half backs, that's their strengths. Ashcroft, Bailey or Clugg could fill in down back but you'd rather use Answerth wouldn't you? If Berry and Dunkley were both out for 6plus weeks I don't think you'd be selecting Prior over Dev. Not after the improvement he showed v Suns as a Hb. Why weaken a strength by moving Starce? No sense there. Answerth maybe, not convinced, I'd still pick Dev. Maybe Torrent, or Marshall could develop into hunt ball, make tackle, stop him footballers. Fletcher I think can when he grows into his man's body but that's a year or so away. Tunstill is not as good as Dev. For goodness sake it's just for one more year for Dev if he doesn't want to go. He is good depth in a tough role, he's been loyal, he's maturing, I'm more than happy to see his contract out.
The game is won in the middle of the ground, especially if we need a defensive mid to curtail the oppos dominant mids. I would play Dev over the others in a defensive mid role, my post was about what we could do if we lost Dev. We have more guys who can fill in and do a serviceable job on a HBF than we do as a defensive mid. No Dev, Bez or Dunks would mean IMO that we would need to look into our backline to find someone to do a job. You wouldn’t waste Clugg or Neale, I wouldn’t trust Bailey or Rayner, Kai is probably a bit to small but would have the tank and tenacity. So I would look at someone like a Prior or Starce or Answerth to do the job knowing that we can plug the hole left in the backline, if there is one.
I don’t think we should move Dev on. I think his best option is to try and move on. He is at best 3rd in line for a defensive mid role and unlikely to get many games at senior level with us.

Yeah we do, with Levi n Marshall it's deeper. But looking at that list, how many would you describe as a defensive mid. We imported Dunkley to do it, Berry has been reborn into it, after that the cupboard is bare. We've seen how much better we've been in the midfield with a cpl of bulls in there and the stronger option to tag. On our list at the moment our best option to fill that role going fwd should Dunks or Berry both be out is Dev. (Assuming Lyons gone). We've seen this year how injuries can decimate one type of player in a season. He is contracted for next year, and unless he is asking to go, I'm keeping him. After that, who knows.

I trust our system to turn drafted players into the weapons we need aka eric the back -> forward -> back ;)

Seriously though the whole coaching direction is players must play two positions so there will be mids drafted that end up being half forwards, half backs and wings.

Prior to the carnage of the last couple of weeks I think our list lacks a back up Key defender and a backup Key forward. The last couple of weeks just has the point emboldened. Ideally we could pick up a player that covers both roles.

I respect the role Joyce has taken on but i am not sure he is it.

Z is very young, and while I am glad we took the chance, he will take time. He looks to be still learning the basics of positioning, which is fine for his age. I did like his ability to get his hands free and find a teammate in his draft video while playing ruck. Maybe we throw him inside and tell him to hunt it and dish it out.

On the front end I am not convinced Ryan can adequately cover should Eric or Joe be struck down for multiple weeks.

I like Khamis, back off contract and can slide to third tall or fill in Key posts at either end when required. Not a bad user and good hands.

Borlase from Adelaide is down the pecking order there and is a younger option. Not sure he satisfies the forward requirement at all.

Short term T Macdonald from Melbourne is a FA and could provide cover at both ends for maybe two seasons while Z or potentially Gallop, Gillett, Richardson or whoever is in development.
I too like Borlase and has played up forward a little and looked useful

I suspect Cam's last six weeks has increased his worth considerably

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS 2025
Andrew Brayshaw (Fremantle)
Luke Davies-Uniacke (North Melbourne)
Cam Rayner (Brisbane Lions)
James Worpel (Hawthorn)
Oscar Allen (West Coast Eagles)
Ed Richards (Western Bulldogs)
Charlie Ballard (Gold Coast Suns)
Noah Balta (Richmond)

I suspect Cam's last six weeks has increased his worth considerably
James Worpel (Hawthorn)
Noah Balta (Richmond)
There will be some huge money coming for Cam if he continues his current form through the rest of the season, IMO if he tears up a finals series clubs coming for him could offer up to 900K-1 Million per season for circa 5-6 years.

Would we be able to match that?

James Worpel (Hawthorn)
Noah Balta (Richmond)
There will be some huge money coming for Cam if he continues his current form through the rest of the season, IMO if he tears up a finals series clubs coming for him could offer up to 900K-1 Million per season for circa 5-6 years.

I was thinking today whether or not our players have agreed to take less for the betterment of the team, Carlton players made it public that they were taking less for example. I imagine Cam ultimately wants to be the top dog in the midfield so perhaps that could be a big deciding factor. St Kilda and Essendon will come hard I'm sure.

James Worpel (Hawthorn)
Noah Balta (Richmond)

Don't Essendon mention a lot about wanting Rayner given where he grew up not to mention they apparently have a lot of cap space - no wonder I guess given there list.

Cam is the one player more than others that I'd be shocked if he left. His buy-in to the club and work on the culture as a first overall pick (as commented on by several players over the years) has been significant.

If Cam did leave on mega money it wouldn’t be the end of the world. If someone offered 1 mil for him, as a restricted FA you’d be demanding significant draft capital. Not a terrible outcome just before Tasmania is set to join.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cam's played a few good games . As of now he's looking very good .

I'd be astounded if he even gave a second thought to leaving the Lions.

But the footy world is littered with clubs who gave up an absolute crapload for someone who looked really good and tore it up at the right age and then went on to give a very poor return for the outlandish outlay.

I don't think there's any hope of Cam leaving us by choice and hopefully he continues to build on the form he's shown the last few weeks and puts it together over the next few years.

I was thinking today whether or not our players have agreed to take less for the betterment of the team, Carlton players made it public that they were taking less for example. I imagine Cam ultimately wants to be the top dog in the midfield so perhaps that could be a big deciding factor. St Kilda and Essendon will come hard I'm sure.
Dunno about that. I reckon Cam loves what he is doing now and he knows where his best is.

And if the boys take a pay cut for the team, I reckon Cam would be front of the line.

James Worpel (Hawthorn)
Noah Balta (Richmond)

I reckon. His current form over the past six weeks if definitely worth it. I’d say only Neale and Andrews have had more impact and he’s tied with McCluggage and Dunkley. We’d find a way to match it unless a club is offering like 1.1 million. Obviously not out of the picture for a club like Essendon to do it.

Though I’d say Cam definitely would be more interested in staying then going and that does affect how much less we may have to offer.

Cam's played a few good games . As of now he's looking very good .

I'd be astounded if he even gave a second thought to leaving the Lions.

But the footy world is littered with clubs who gave up an absolute crapload for someone who looked really good and tore it up at the right age and then went on to give a very poor return for the outlandish outlay.

I don't think there's any hope of Cam leaving us by choice and hopefully he continues to build on the form he's shown the last few weeks and puts it together over the next few years.

To be fair to those players it’s mainly the fault of those clubs themselves. They have the big cap space to offer monstrous deals because their list doesn’t exactly have the talent to demand higher salary. Then the overpaid recruited player is talked up as game changer and obviously doesn’t live up to the value.

Think if Josh Kelly went to North, he wasn’t turning that club around and he was getting over a million dollars a year on offer last decade.

I’m not even sure Dusty could live up to the hype if he joined North. He benefited from an elite backline at Richmond, and could go forward and have the likes of Cotchin run the midfield still. He’d play amazingly to a degree but probably wouldn’t drag them to a premiership.

If Cam did leave on mega money it wouldn’t be the end of the world. If someone offered 1 mil for him, as a restricted FA you’d be demanding significant draft capital. Not a terrible outcome just before Tasmania is set to join.
200.gif

I suspect that because of his profile Cam may have been getting paid overs in his previous contract compared to his output on the field. Unless our offer to him was an insult I don’t see him going anywhere, seems to love the club and the team.

I suspect that because of his profile Cam may have been getting paid overs in his previous contract compared to his output on the field. Unless our offer to him was an insult I don’t see him going anywhere, seems to love the club and the team.
Fwiiw the last thing Cam would want to be is the top dog in the midfield ,nor could he be.

He's playing good footy because we've found the right slot for him where he's happy and able to contribute fully without gassing himself.

I think the squad has taken a big development step this season.

We've had young players emerge into first graders, Wilmot, Fletcher, Lohmann, Morris.

We've seen rookies turn into capable depth, Brain, Reville, Smith and Sharp.

We've seen the reaffirmation of some depth players capabilities, Answerth, Joyce, Prior.

The newest Lions, ZZ a late start, Torrent and Lloyd have shown encouraging ability.

We will have, Kiddy, Doedee, McCarthy and Gardiner back like 4 new recruits.

There's been a few fringe players that haven't taken a step fwd for whatever reason, Ryan, Dev, Tunstil, Madden, Lane, Michael. Injury and/or lack of opportunity can be a b*tch. Ryan, Dev and Tunstil I think contracted for next year, Ryan n Dev I still think have depth uses.

Fort and Lyons really haven't been needed. Both very specific replacements for specific players. Fort I'm kinda glad we have but also glad we don't need to use. Lyons the same but I think he is less needed now.

Lyons, Lane, Madden and Michael are those I'd let go.

If we were to just pick up Levi Ashcroft, Marshall and Gillet in the draft I'd be happy. I really don't think we need to do anymore than that.

Maybe another tall defender but surely we won't have another injury season like this. ZZ will have another preseason under his belt, will get more games n experience, if a disaster happens again he could step up.

The wild cards in the recruitment game are players that want to leave and players that want to come.

I don't foresee anyone other than maybe Dev wanting a trade. Gunston finally retiring may open up a return for Ryan to Hawthorn if he wanted to go home or if Mitchell wants him.

I haven't heard of any player out there that's declared they want to come here. Probably wouldn't expect any as yet. There's usually a surprise each year, happy to wait n see.

When ya take into consideration the squad development and needs, the talent we've squeezed into the Salary cap, I think we've looked after the now and the future really well. Quiet but effective at the end of this season. We don't need to be otherwise.

James Worpel (Hawthorn)
Noah Balta (Richmond)

Shouldn’t Darcy Fogarty (Adelaide) be in that list?

Academy, F/S, and draft bidding changes confirmed coming in next year. Future pick trading also won't come in until 2025. Changes to zones will also be in 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back