List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prior might have saved his list spot too. Is axing Lane, Lyons, Madden and Michael going to be enough to have the picks to match Levi and Marshall?

I suppose we can delist and re-rookie Prior to free up another spot.
We'll also likely drop Zorko and Lester to pick them back again as DFA.

We'll also likely drop Zorko and Lester to pick them back again as DFA.
Looks like we can just fit that in.

We're currently at 38 senior spots and 7 Cat A rookies (and 2 Cat B rookies but they can stay where they are so we can disregard them for now). 45 players have to be reduced to 42 including draftees, and the most Cat A rookies we can have going into a season is 6 (but that reduces the senior list to 36).

Of our current Cat A, only McKenna and McLachlan have a contract for next year, leaving four other spots, so Joyce, Lester, Zorko and Prior can all be delisted and re-rookied. That only cuts our senior list to the required 36 though, as Joyce and Lester are already rookies. I'm not sure how things work for the free list spots calculation going into the draft, but at that point we'd only have 38 players under contract, including two senior list spots so maybe it allows us two picks.

Of the others we can cut, Lyons, Madden and Michael are all on the senior list. So that gives us three more free spots. Although I'm not sure we can leave Beecken without a contract through the draft, as Adelaide will surely come calling, so we'd have to make a call there.

But, we also have the possibility of putting Linc onto the long term injury list next year. So if we delist Linc and, say, Joyce, re-rookie Linc, put him on the LTI and then sign Joyce as his replacement, we'll have six free spots, so we can potentially redraft Beecken in the national draft.

Plus maybe one of Tom Gillett, Ryan Gilder or Ty Gallop.
Yes, although by the time they realistically get selected we can simply match with the next available pick, so points aren't an issue there.

Last edited:
Lyons, Lane, Madden, Michael would be 4 to delist. They’ll keep Lane on though to rehab the knee. I reckon Dev and Tunstill will look back to the West with Dev being the only one to move. That’s four list spots. L.Ashcroft, Marshall and Gillett and Gilder.

Does that mean another club can draft them in the meantime?
If other clubs offer a truckload of cash and these 2 are willing to sign up with them as DFA, then yes. Not like open draft per se.

But aren't they required to nominate for the draft to be taken as a DFA?
Not sure. I remember players not nominating for ND but only for PSD. So may not need to go through open draft I think.

I was looking through Delisted Free Agency window and I believe there are 3. One before trade, one after trade and before draft. Last one is between draft and rookie draft (I've to check this last date again). If true, you could delist prior to draft and pick them up before rookie/PSD. That was my conclusion last time we were trying to free up points for Ashcroft / Fletcher.

There is no limit on the picks after draft starts anyway so we should be good to get all of the draftees even if we go in with 4 picks initially.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure. I remember players not nominating for ND but only for PSD. So may not need to go through open draft I think.
Just has the same whiff of the Hugh Greenwood situation a couple of years ago. You can imagine an opportunist like Clarko or even Hardwick jumping on either of them given half the chance.

Just has the same whiff of the Hugh Greenwood situation a couple of years ago. You can imagine an opportunist like Clarko or even Hardwick jumping on either of them given half the chance.
Pretty sure they go through the rookie draft rather than the national draft. Like Froggy at the start of 2023.

Prior might have saved his list spot too. Is axing Lane, Lyons, Madden and Michael going to be enough to have the picks to match Levi and Marshall?

I suppose we can delist and re-rookie Prior to free up another spot.
I genuinely hope we retain Jaxon. Have always thought he was a player and the past few weeks, to me, has shown he is certainly up to it. I'd even have him ahead of the likes of Brain and Answerth and well ahead of the likes of Madden, Michael.

Pretty sure they go through the rookie draft rather than the national draft. Like Froggy at the start of 2023.
From memory Lester was already contracted and was being moved to the rookie draft for the second year of his contract.

I genuinely hope we retain Jaxon. Have always thought he was a player and the past few weeks, to me, has shown he is certainly up to it. I'd even have him ahead of the likes of Brain and Answerth and well ahead of the likes of Madden, Michael.

Agree with all except Brain. Brain is starting to find his feet, I'd say he's already better than Prior or Answerth in terms of quick decision making under extreme pressure in D50. He has good awareness and knows when its his turn to go.

I'm excited about taking on Giants with Starcevich, Wilmot and Brain as our defensive smalls, alongside Zorko. Last time we played with Starcevich, Wilmot, Answerth and McKenna - GWS ran rings around us. Will be interesting to see how we go this time.

Agree with all except Brain. Brain is starting to find his feet, I'd say he's already better than Prior or Answerth in terms of quick decision making under extreme pressure in D50. He has good awareness and knows when its his turn to go.

I'm excited about taking on Giants with Starcevich, Wilmot and Brain as our defensive smalls, alongside Zorko. Last time we played with Starcevich, Wilmot, Answerth and McKenna - GWS ran rings around us. Will be interesting to see how we go this time.

I think Brain is really struggling defensively. Just not getting his positioning right. Either too far off his opponent or going for and not executing spoils and pack marks.

Was going to attempt to say the same thing. You said it better. I like Prior but I think Brain is/will be much better in terms of reaction time and decision making. Prior plays like an undersized key position player. Great at VFL level, but at AFL, despite giving his all and being strong in the contest, gets found out because of the lack of inches.

Tough decision but I would let him go if another club came calling.

I think Brain is really struggling defensively. Just not getting his positioning right. Either too far off his opponent or going for and not executing spoils and pack marks.

Yep at times he commits too far, true. but it's offset by his ability to go for a leap, spoil or mark. More importantly when he marks, stands up and looks around for that next quick kick - he rarely hesitates. He pulls the trigger faster than both Answerth and McKenna in my view.

This is the same thing Wilmot does too so we commence our rebounding well before opposition get their bearings together and block our exit. Wilmot does it better at this stage but Brain is definitely catching up.

Does that mean another club can draft them in the meantime?
The unwritten rule is that they don't, but clubs will break that rule for the right player, like Greenwood. EDIT: Greenwood was taken outside the draft as a delisted free agent, I think because he wasn't out of contract before getting delisted.

Yes, but it requires the player actually wanting to move and being willing to relocate. Greenwood left because North offered him a three year deal and the Suns were too cap-strapped to match it. Is anyone going to offer Zorko or Lester a multi-year deal for big dollars?

Does Zorko want to go interstate at this point? Can't imagine his loathing of the Suns and Touk Miller has faded enough to want to join them.

I suppose it's possible Lester would want to go back to Melbourne at some point, but being married to Zorko's sister, a Queenslander, might be a mitigating factor.

Greenwood was supposed to be picked by Gold Coast in the national draft before North swiped him as a DFA.

Last edited:
The unwritten rule is that they don't, but clubs will break that rule for the right player, like Greenwood. EDIT: Greenwood was taken outside the draft as a delisted free agent, I think because he wasn't out of contract before getting delisted.
These days you can do it as a DFA, no need to stuff around in the draft.

I remember Richmond approached us about taking Banfield in this situation, and we told them go ahead.

These days you can just offer a contract and try to poach them directly. Some players have also threatened to retire rather than uproot to another club if taken by other clubs in the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back