List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

These days you can just offer a contract and try to poach them directly. Some players have also threatened to retire rather than uproot to another club if taken by other clubs in the draft.
Handy. And I just realised, both Zorko and Lester are UFAs at the end of the season. So they can already just walk if someone offers them a bigger deal. Delisting doesn't expose us to any extra risk really. Greenwood was different because he was in contract, so nobody could offer him a deal before the Suns delisted him.

Good summary. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if McKenna leaves at the end of this season.
It's probably a good thing for at least one of McKenna, Dev and Tunstill to go. If they all stay, and all my previous assumptions hold, then by my calculations we'll have at most 4 list spots available to be taken by 2024 mid-season and national draftees (excluding McLachlan who is under contract for 2025). Given we're certainly taking Levi and Marshall, that means we'd either have to dump one of Beecken or Craven after six months, or not draft anyone else from our academy (with Craven going into the national draft so that we can use the minimum three picks).

However, if we have an extra list spot available from an unexpected departure, then we can do both. Craven and Beecken stay, and we have room for a third youngster in the national draft.

It's probably a good thing for at least one of McKenna, Dev and Tunstill to go. If they all stay, and all my previous assumptions hold, then by my calculations we'll have at most 4 list spots available to be taken by 2024 mid-season and national draftees (excluding McLachlan who is under contract for 2025). Given we're certainly taking Levi and Marshall, that means we'd either have to dump one of Beecken or Craven after six months, or not draft anyone else from our academy (with Craven going into the national draft so that we can use the minimum three picks).

However, if we have an extra list spot available from an unexpected departure, then we can do both. Craven and Beecken stay, and we have room for a third youngster in the national draft.

I'd love to take Billy Richardson as a 19 year old if he's starting to show signs.

We need that tall cover and Billy would be another good academy story in terms of talls after Andrews, Hipwood and Payne.

I am assuming this or similar, is what happened in both the Greenwood and Lyons situations.
Greenwood yes.

Lyons no - the Suns were straight up delisting him and were going to pay out his contract.

Absolutely no problem delisting Craven and Beecken. Superfluous to needs. Don't need another hb or sm fwd. Didn't we list an ex giants player midseason that was coaching as well or did we leave a spot vacant?

Gotta have list spots for Kiddy, Doedee, McCarthy and Gardiner. And also apparently McLachlan. Plus a few draftees (Ashcroft, Marshall, Gillett and possibly Richardson). So it's a possible 8 or 9 spots needed.

Madden, Michael, Lane and Lyons are 4. Craven, Beecken and the Giants guy or the vacant spot are 3. That's 7. If we want to draft in Richardson I guess we need to delist or trade out a cpl more. If we, like usual, trade in a player that's another delisting or trade. I could happily trade out Tunstill, and Ryan if home n Hawthorn were calling. I fear Prior could also be under pressure as well. Dev I'd like to hold for one more year. Just for a bit of inside hard nut cover. But if he wanted out I wouldn't be heart broken if he did go.

One thing that is guaranteed is that whatever way the brains trust decide to go, we will be a stronger squad next year. Those injured lads coming back, the breakout rookies, a cpl of good to go draftees, and we're sitting pretty.

Didn't we list an ex giants player midseason that was coaching as well or did we leave a spot vacant?
We asked the AFL for an excusal from the normal rule, play 3 VFL/associated league games after a player has 'retired' before they can be re-drafted in the MSD, for Daniel Lloyd [Development Coach] to play for us. But, the AFL refused to give him one as he had only played 2 VFL games, not the required 3.

Absolutely no problem delisting Craven and Beecken. Superfluous to needs. Don't need another hb or sm fwd.
You say that now, but who knows how strongly Linc and Kidd will come back (especially Linc) and who will get injured next season. And does the club have no problem delisting those two? Maybe, but they drafted them for a reason.

Didn't we list an ex giants player midseason that was coaching as well or did we leave a spot vacant?
No, we weren't allowed to draft Daniel Lloyd.

Gotta have list spots for Kiddy, Doedee, McCarthy and Gardiner.
But we already do. They're already on the roster.

And also apparently McLachlan. Plus a few draftees (Ashcroft, Marshall, Gillett and possibly Richardson). So it's a possible 8 or 9 spots needed.
I've accounted for all of that in my post on the previous page.

You say that now, but who knows how strongly Linc and Kidd will come back (especially Linc) and who will get injured next season. And does the club have no problem delisting those two? Maybe, but they drafted them for a reason.
Heard on a podcast today that Kiddy went back in for a clean out of his knee recently which has set him back a little.

I've recently wondered whether a guy like Harry Sharp may request a trade if a suitor came knocking. Seems stuck behind quite a few and players that aren't getting games at top clubs like we have been in recent years tend to be attractive for mid - bottom clubs although.
Have also heard he has had a bit of interest.

Have also heard he has had a bit of interest.
Im not sure how much a part it plays, but he seems to be very close to Kai and IIRC they were mates from back on Vic country days although I doubt you'd put friendship before jeopordising your career if you had a suitor who was say willing to give him 3 years given his current deal expires end of next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not sure how much a part it plays, but he seems to be very close to Kai and IIRC they were mates from back on Vic country days although I doubt you'd put friendship before jeopordising your career if you had a suitor who was say willing to give him 3 years given his current deal expires end of next year.
If he gets a decent offer, he should take it. Wouldn’t hold it against him.

A bit like Dev last year, had the offer, decided to stay but unfortunately for him it hasn’t really worked out as he has been pushed down the order a bit.

A bit like Dev last year, had the offer, decided to stay but unfortunately for him it hasn’t really worked out as he has been pushed down the order a bit.
I wouldn't hold it against him either and I suspect with the names being mentioned us acquiring such as Levi Ashcroft, Marshall and then recent talk about Gilder, Gallop and Richardson then we'll need the spots. Were there any other Academy players mentioned or have we been linked to any opposition players noting I'd have thought the latter was unlikely?

Except Sharp is under contract for another year. Dev wasn't last offseason.

There was some talk that Kai Lohmann had very keen interest from the Bulldogs but he backed himself in and signed an extension.

Harry Sharp has shown some great improvement this season in the VFL, he is at the least good wing depth, I hope he follows Kai's example and backs himself in.

I've recently wondered whether a guy like Harry Sharp may request a trade if a suitor came knocking. Seems stuck behind quite a few and players that aren't getting games at top clubs like we have been in recent years tend to be attractive for mid - bottom clubs although.

Can't keep them all so depth requesting for a move is inevitable at this stage.

There was some talk that Kai Lohmann had very keen interest from the Bulldogs but he backed himself in and signed an extension.

Harry Sharp has shown some great improvement this season in the VFL, he is at the least good wing depth, I hope he follows Kai's example and backs himself in.
From what I heard on one of the footy shows it was Essendon and not the Dogs - which always seemed an odd fit for mine - even tho i to thought it was the Dogs who had the interest.

Interesting that Beecken is being played on the wing in the VFL. Sharp more inside. Sharp would have to think about it if an offer came. Sharp is more like Lashcroft and Marshall than Beecken.

The club was somewhat surprised he returned, put it that way.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back