List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I consider Sharp first reserve. I think if any of our midfield rotations were to get injured he'd be straight in. Could get his shot this year as Dev did last year

There was some talk that Kai Lohmann had very keen interest from the Bulldogs but he backed himself in and signed an extension.

Harry Sharp has shown some great improvement this season in the VFL, he is at the least good wing depth, I hope he follows Kai's example and backs himself in.

I think Sharp is one preseason away from making his mark on the team. Goes in the reville spot as the sub/winger. Could play in Ah Chee’s old spot too.

I think Sharp is one preseason away from making his mark on the team. Goes in the reville spot as the sub/winger. Could play in Ah Chee’s old spot too.
I don’t see Sharp offering or doing anything that Ah Chee can do. I seriously think people massively underrate what Cal can do and offer the team.

That’s not to say I don’t rate Sharp, just that I don’t think he’d be pushing Cal out.

I think we should have a round 1 2025 team thread?

Do It Episode 3 GIF by Star Wars

Bloody glad he did.
Kai Lohmann has been great in most games this year. By far the most improved in the team. I was at Marvel on Sunday and was impressed with his pressure, and contested possession work. I think he still think he has another gear or two to go in the next couple of season. Potentially a future elite player.

Selection concern for next year is .... has Kai already surpassed Linc. I'm wondering where McCarthy fit into the team next year. 31 year old coming off an ACL with a career record average of 12 disposals, 2.8 tackles and 1 goal per game. Lohmann has already bettered that, and looks as though he will rotate through the midfield as well next year.

Potential 2025 team

Zorko Payne Starcevich

Doedee Andrews Coleman

McCluggage Rayner Wilmot

Lohmann Hipwood W. Ashcroft

Cameron Daniher Morris

McInerney Dunkley Neale

Int. from : Berry L. Ashcroft Marshall Lester Fletcher AhChee Bailey Reville Brain.

I can't fit in McCarthy. Also no room for McKenna, Robertson, Madden, Prior or Fort. Harsh as it sounds, but I'm concerned that there is no guarantee that Berry and Bailey play every game next year.

Besides the recruiters customary shrewd draft selection swaps, I wonder if they will place anyone on the trade table to acquire the currency to pick up Levi and Marshall. They usually grab a free agent from another club as well. I think Parfitt from Geelong is worth considering, and Grainger-Barras to add some key defense backup.

Kai Lohmann has been great in most games this year. By far the most improved in the team. I was at Marvel on Sunday and was impressed with his pressure, and contested possession work. I think he still think he has another gear or two to go in the next couple of season. Potentially a future elite player.

Selection concern for next year is .... has Kai already surpassed Linc. I'm wondering where McCarthy fit into the team next year. 31 year old coming off an ACL with a career record average of 12 disposals, 2.8 tackles and 1 goal per game. Lohmann has already bettered that, and looks as though he will rotate through the midfield as well next year.

Potential 2025 team

Zorko Payne Starcevich

Doedee Andrews Coleman

McCluggage Rayner Wilmot

Cameron Daniher Morris

McInerney Dunkley Neale

Int. from : Berry L. Ashcroft Marshall Lester Fletcher AhChee Bailey Reville Brain.

I can't fit in McCarthy. Also no room for McKenna, Robertson, Madden, Prior or Fort. Harsh as it sounds, but I'm concerned that there is no guarantee that Berry and Bailey play every game next year.

Besides the recruiters customary shrewd draft selection swaps, I wonder if they will place anyone on the trade table to acquire the currency to pick up Levi and Marshall. They usually grab a free agent from another club as well. I think Parfitt from Geelong is worth considering, and Grainger-Barras to add some key defense backup.
If this year's form is any indicator, there is no way Berry doesn't not make any Lions team in 2025.

Potential 2025 team

Zorko Payne Starcevich

Doedee Andrews Coleman

McCluggage Rayner Wilmot

Cameron Daniher Morris

McInerney Dunkley Neale

My 2025 team assuming everyone fit and playing well.

Dayne Zorko, Jack Payne, Brandon Starcevich.
Darcy Wilmot, Harris Andrews, Keidean Coleman.

Oscar McInerney, Josh Dunkley, Lachie Neale.
Hugh McCluggage, Cam Rayner, Will Ashcroft.

Charlie Cameron, Eric Hipwood, Kai Lohmann.
Logan Morris, Joe Daniher, Zac Bailey.

Tom Doedee, Jarrod Berry, Cal Ah Chee, Jaspa Fletcher. Sub- Reville/Brain/L.Ashcroft/Lester/Sharp.
There is a possibility that Zorks is managed/rested or sub for some games next season, I don't expect Doedee to be in great form early so Froggy probably holds his sport for a fair chunk of the season. Expecting Kiddy to play a pre season game or 2 as he did his knee in round 1 so should be fine to come in round 1. I can not find a spot for Linc or Gardiner.

With retirements from around the league staring to filter around, wonder if Jarryd Lyons announces something soon.

Whilst I think he would be delisted anyway, you wouldn't think he would be trying to go around again.

Been a really solid servant of our club and pleased that he achieved the 100 game milestone at the Lions.

Its clearly evident that Lester and Zorko are being retained for one (final) year in 25?

With retirements from around the league staring to filter around, wonder if Jarryd Lyons announces something soon.

Whilst I think he would be delisted anyway, you wouldn't think he would be trying to go around again.

Been a really solid servant of our club and pleased that he achieved the 100 game milestone at the Lions.

Its clearly evident that Lester and Zorko are being retained for one (final) year in 25?
From what I've heard Lyons does a lot of coaching in the reserves ,particularly on the ground and during breaks.

There could be a role for him within the club.

From what I've heard Lyons does a lot of coaching in the reserves ,particularly on the ground and during breaks.

There could be a role for him within the club.
I recall about 2-3 years, there was a club interview with JL and he mentioned that he'd already started doing work on the coaching front and was interested in pursuing it post footy. I think he even said he coached or assisted at one of the private schools footy programs too.

Jarrod Lyons six games short of 200.
Probably not the main reason he may like to find another club to finish up his career.
Another year on average money will help his bank account. We all have bills to pay.
Maybe someone like North or even the Saints could offer a 1-year deal but unlikely.

You say that now, but who knows how strongly Linc and Kidd will come back (especially Linc) and who will get injured next season. And does the club have no problem delisting those two? Maybe, but they drafted them for a reason.

No, we weren't allowed to draft Daniel Lloyd.

But we already do. They're already on the roster.

I've accounted for all of that in my post on the previous page.
We're keeping McLachlan so if Linc struggles or there's injuries, between Charlie, Bailey, Lohmann, Ah Chee, Reville and McLachlan, and the likelihood of L Ashcroft or Marshall playing a sm fwd/mid role to start off, I think the sm fwd stocks are OK.

If Kiddy doesn't come back strongly as you say then Zorks continues his current role. McKenna, after a good preseason, after surgery or recovery time for his shoulder, when he gets his body right, surely he can't have another bad year. Brain has emerged, Prior has shown value, Answerth was good when fit, Torrent has been playing down back in the Vfl. Not to forget Starce n Wilmot. If there's an injury wave that goes thru the sm/med defenders, Fletcher n Reville would also be capable of going back. Even Doedee or Lester can play smaller. Plenty of cover at hb.

While Kiddy, Doedee, Linc and Gardiner are indeed on our roster they are not currently on the available playing list. Space needs to be opened up to get them back on the playing list.

As to having a future plan for Craven and Beecken when drafted I'm not so sure. I think they were just the best available to fill spots. If intent was there they would have got longer than a 6month contract. Taking 2 sm fwds and a hb in that draft was a bit of an error in my opinion anyway. Atleast one tall defender would have been pertinent but as none were available I think we settled.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're keeping McLachlan so if Linc struggles or there's injuries, between Charlie, Bailey, Lohmann, Ah Chee, Reville and McLachlan, and the likelihood of L Ashcroft or Marshall playing a sm fwd/mid role to start off, I think the sm fwd stocks are OK.

If Kiddy doesn't come back strongly as you say then Zorks continues his current role. McKenna, after a good preseason, after surgery or recovery time for his shoulder, when he gets his body right, surely he can't have another bad year. Brain has emerged, Prior has shown value, Answerth was good when fit, Torrent has been playing down back in the Vfl. Not to forget Starce n Wilmot. If there's an injury wave that goes thru the sm/med defenders, Fletcher n Reville would also be capable of going back. Even Doedee or Lester can play smaller. Plenty of cover at hb.

While Kiddy, Doedee, Linc and Gardiner are indeed on our roster they are not currently on the available playing list. Space needs to be opened up to get them back on the playing list.

As to having a future plan for Craven and Beecken when drafted I'm not so sure. I think they were just the best available to fill spots. If intent was there they would have got longer than a 6month contract. Taking 2 sm fwds and a hb in that draft was a bit of an error in my opinion anyway. Atleast one tall defender would have been pertinent but as none were available I think we settled.
“While Kiddy, Doedee, Linc and Gardiner are indeed on our roster they are not currently on the available playing list. Space needs to be opened up to get them back on the playing list.”

Explain? My understanding is They are currently listed players. Seems to be a misunderstanding circulating that we need list spots for them.

The task of picking our best 23 for next season isn't going to be easy. My thoughts should all players be fit and in form.

Starce, Payne, Doedee
Kiddy, Andrews, Wilmot

Clug, Neale, Fletcher
Big O, Dunkley, Berry

Rayner, Hippy, Bailey
Morris, Joe, Charlie

W Ashcroft, Ah Chee, Lohmann, McKenna

Zorko sub.
Wonder if we win the premiership this year, Zorko decides to finish on a high and retire but stays on as PT coach / VFL top-up.

This would give a spot open for Ashcroft II to play straight away and give Ah Chee the sub role while Zorko can help the younger guys out and we could possibly draft him in the mid-season draft into the AFL team (if needed).

Starcevich / Payne / Doedee
Coleman / Andrews / Wilmot
McCluggage / Berry / Fletcher
McInerney / Neale / Dunkley
Rayner / Hipwood / Bailey
Cameron / Daniher / Morris
W.Ashcroft / L.Ashcroft / Lohmann / McKenna
Ah Chee (Sub)

Experienced reserves: Zorko (semi-retired), Lester, McCarthy, Answerth, Fort, Sharp, Tunstill, Smith, Ryan, Joyce, Robertson*, Lyons*, Prior*

* - Possibly traded at end of year.

“While Kiddy, Doedee, Linc and Gardiner are indeed on our roster they are not currently on the available playing list. Space needs to be opened up to get them back on the playing list.”

Explain? My understanding is They are currently listed players. Seems to be a misunderstanding circulating that we need list spots for them.
When players are put on a long term injury list while still contracted they aren't able to play for the rest of that season. They are able to be replaced on the list for that season if those injuries occur before the preseason draft or the midseason draft to equalise player numbers. Lanes injury happened after the midseason draft so it's just tough luck.

This season we had Kiddy, Doedee, Linc n Gardiner all put on the long term injury list. Craven, Beecken and McLachlan were drafted as their subs. We tried promoting the ex giant development coach Lloyd but couldn't so in effect we were 1 down on the playing list. So 3 out of the 4 players were replaced.

When players come off the long term injury list and back into the playing list those spots need to be reopened again either by letting go those that subbed in during the midseason draft or by delisting/trading out others. Again it's to equalise player numbers.

That my ham fisted attempt to explain.

Last edited:
When players are put on a long term injury list while still contracted they aren't able to play for the rest of that season. They are able to be replaced on the list for that season if those injuries occur before the preseason draft or the midseason draft to equalise player numbers. Lanes injury happened after the midseason draft so it's just tough luck.

This season we had Kiddy, Doedee, Linc n Gardiner all put on the long term injury list. Craven, Beecken and McLachlan were drafted as their subs. We tried promoting the ex giant development coach Lloyd but couldn't so in effect we were 1 down on the playing list. So 3 out of the 4 players were replaced.

When players come off the long term injury list and back into the playing list those spots need to be reopened again either by letting go those that subbed in during the midseason draft or by delisting/trading out others. Again it's to equalise player numbers.

That my ham fisted attempt to explain.
Thanks I stand corrected.

Wonder if we win the premiership this year, Zorko decides to finish on a high and retire but stays on as PT coach / VFL top-up.

This would give a spot open for Ashcroft II to play straight away and give Ah Chee the sub role while Zorko can help the younger guys out and we could possibly draft him in the mid-season draft into the AFL team (if needed).

Starcevich / Payne / Doedee
Coleman / Andrews / Wilmot
McCluggage / Berry / Fletcher
McInerney / Neale / Dunkley
Rayner / Hipwood / Bailey
Cameron / Daniher / Morris
W.Ashcroft / L.Ashcroft / Lohmann / McKenna
Ah Chee (Sub)

Experienced reserves: Zorko (semi-retired), Lester, McCarthy, Answerth, Fort, Sharp, Tunstill, Smith, Ryan, Joyce, Robertson*, Lyons*, Prior*

* - Possibly traded at end of year.
Zorko is as keen as mustard to play on next year and I don't think he would reconsider if we won the flag, after a decade plus of being a basket case of a club pre the Fagan/Noble era he would be just as motivated to go back to back IMO.

Zorko is as keen as mustard to play on next year and I don't think he would reconsider if we won the flag, after a decade plus of being a basket case of a club pre the Fagan/Noble era he would be just as motivated to go back to back IMO.

Zorko is on 270 games right now and if we make top four and he plays the rest of the season he ends on 275. So if he plays all games next year and two finals he’d get to 300.

If something happens and he ends up 5-10 games short but still in decent form then I’d be bringing him back the year after and subbing him to get over the line. It needs to happen.

Maybe we need the 20th team in the competition to be our reserves side out there, then we would not lose the GF at all if it ended up being Brisbane vs. Brisbane reserves ;)

For real, think it'll depend on what Zorko's end goal is but wouldn't be against him going around next year.

Ideally come R1, I would rather give Coleman, Doedee, Gardiner & McCarthy time in the VFL first-up before having the opportunity to come back in the AFL side.

Also not trying to sound cryptic and Lincoln is amazing for us, but given the Cats are about to fall off a cliff and start rebuilding in the next year or so, wonder if Geelong will approach McCarthy with a spot in their side especially now there is a massive squeeze at our own club and he is no certainly to come straight back in the AFL team next year :huh:

Makes you wonder why we bothered drafting Craven then, when we had a severe lack of mature KPD depth.

If Kiddy doesn't come back strongly as you say then Zorks continues his current role.
And if he gets injured? I'm not suggesting Beecken or Craven will start for us, just that we need good depth for covering injuries and poor form.

McKenna, after a good preseason, after surgery or recovery time for his shoulder, when he gets his body right, surely he can't have another bad year.
Yes he can. Players sometimes never recapture their form.

Brain has emerged, Prior has shown value, Answerth was good when fit, Torrent has been playing down back in the Vfl.
Prior has shown value as an undersized KPD, not as an attacking half back. Answerth too is a lockdown defender rather than an attacking half back. Beecken is playing better than Torrent, and if we're discussing VFL positions, note they're trying out Beecken at wing lately. Perhaps that's where the coaches see him providing more depth for us next season.

Not to forget Starce n Wilmot.
Starce is again a lockdown defender, not the same role Beecken has played at.

If there's an injury wave that goes thru the sm/med defenders, Fletcher n Reville would also be capable of going back.
Then we rob ourselves of wing depth.

As I said, I already accounted for that in my comment on the previous page.

We agree they could have picked better if it was just about needs. Kinda cruel to get players to move halfway across the country if they were only ever going to be cheap depth, though Beecken at least will easily find a suitor if we delist him.

Also not trying to sound cryptic and Lincoln is amazing for us, but given the Cats are about to fall off a cliff and start rebuilding in the next year or so, wonder if Geelong will approach McCarthy with a spot in their side especially now there is a massive squeeze at our own club and he is no certainly to come straight back in the AFL team next year :huh:

Hey there,

Do you have a feeling Linc would be done past 2024 at the Lions?
While i can see why you linked us with him aside from the fact we already started our rebuild this year with a big influx of young guys through the side....
i'm not sure where Linc would fit in tbh?

Our Small forward line is already elite and probably close to the best if not near best group in the entire League with a wave of young talent already there (Miers, Dempsey, Stengle, Close, Mannagh) who already play in his position or play a similar role.
That's also not including Jezza, Rohan, Scratcher Neale, Ollie Henry who have the key position and medium tall roles locked up past 2024.
He's not displacing anyone else we already have.

His best bet would be Freo or Carlton who are looking for consistent small forwards who apply defensive pressure, especially Carlton who missed out on Stengle, Hayward and Ainsworth who all re-signed.

Love Linc and always will (he still rents out housing in Geelong to young Cats players) but he's 30 years old with a long history of knee issues in a position we are already stacked in.

Regarding round 1 2025 team.
It all depends on one thing
We win the GF and that is the R1 side. Have to reward them right.
We lose or don't make it, then the players will be different.
Not to mention it is also over 6 months away.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back