List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Prediction- Who is delisted this year(not retirements).

• Berry

• McCluggage

• Lyons

• McCarthy

• Answerth

• Lane

• Prior

• Madden

• Lester

• Joyce

• Zorko

• Michael

• Brain

• Reville

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems like we're going to be having another quiet trade period this year. The only player, who could leave, that's had any media interest has been Dev Rob in that one Mitch Cleary report.

Seems like we're going to be having another quiet trade period this year. The only player, who could leave, that's had any media interest has been Dev Rob in that one Mitch Cleary report.
The more Richmond players that nominate Fremantle or the Gold Coast, the better. Dev and Prior really need to land at West Coast to have a realistic chance of regular AFL footy. They probably should take Tunstill as well.

I don't understand how we can manage our Draft and trading this year to find the necessary list spots and picks to fit in Ashcroft, Marshall and possibly Gillett and Richardson. Do we delist Lyons,Michael,Madden,Lane?
Do we trade Robertson or Tunstill? Maybe Mckenna?
How do we handle a Richmond call on Ashcroft at pick one and still get all the players we want?

On SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't understand how we can manage our Draft and trading this year to find the necessary list spots and picks to fit in Ashcroft, Marshall and possibly Gillett and Richardson. Do we delist Lyons,Michael,Madden,Lane?
Do we trade Robertson or Tunstill? Maybe Mckenna?
How do we handle a Richmond call on Ashcroft at pick one and still get all the players we want?

On SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Lyons and Madden are the only two I’m certain won’t be at the club in 2025.

A month ago I’d have said Joyce and Prior too but am now wavering more so Prior.

With rookies now able to stay on the list for 5 years I think the club will stick by Lane but I’m leaning to Michael being delisted same as Craven.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if McKenna retires or if any of Sharp, Robertson or Tunstill sought a trade of an opposition club guaranteed more playing time.

A month ago I’d have said Joyce and Prior too but am now wavering more so Prior.

With rookies now able to stay on the list for 5 years I think the club will stick by Lane but I’m leaning to Michael being delisted same as Craven.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if McKenna retires or if any of Sharp, Robertson or Tunstill sought a trade of an opposition club guaranteed more playing time.
There's some pretty tight restrictions around this. Lane would qualify, but without the exact rules in front of me, I'm not sure any of our other rookies would qualify.

I don't understand how we can manage our Draft and trading this year to find the necessary list spots and picks to fit in Ashcroft, Marshall and possibly Gillett and Richardson.
At the moment we've got 38 senior list players, 7 Cat A players, and 2 Cat B players. So list management isn't much of an issue because we'll have 3-4 players, or more, either retire, get traded, or be delisted by the club.

Reportedly, according to recruiting people, it's unlikely that a F/S will go at #1 this year. Especially when Richmond has other talent they're seeking to draft, who have played in the VFL team lately: Langford, O'Sullivan, Reid, Smillie, Smith.

Draft picks are the main concern because Ashcroft & Marshall, who are the only 2 we've been publicly connected to, will both go in the first round, Ashcroft within top 5. We will trade draft picks during the trade period like normal + on the night to match bids.

There's some pretty tight restrictions around this. Lane would qualify, but without the exact rules in front of me, I'm not sure any of our other rookies would qualify.
Yep. The wording in the AFL statement on this was:
Rookies – time on list
The AFL will introduce a trigger for an additional fourth year on the Rookie List where the Rookie has played less than ten career AFL matches, which will then apply in same way for access to an additional fifth year. Total aggregate years on the Rookie List will be capped at five years (5.5 years for Mid-Season Rookie Draft).
So I think it would only apply to Lane?

I think Lane goes, there's no obligation to keep him because of the injury. His contract is up, he'd be on the long term injury list or unavailable for most of the season if kept on anyway. I'm not saying we abandon him, leave him to recover on his own. I think our only obligation to him is to see him medically right. Although maybe the way to keep him if we wanted, is to put him on the LTI for the whole 2025 season and hope it opens up for him the next year (2026) if we let Fort go.

We've got Fort, Smith has made great advances, as back up rucks. Young Gillet shows great promise coming in recently kicking 3 goals n 17 hit outs I think. Happy to put time into his development rather than Lane. Maybe Beecken could take that rookie spot.

Joyce I'm keeping, blah blah blah, oh my God. Didn't we go thru all this a few pages ago. The players under threat discussed at length, the number of players that need to be moved or delisted to draft and bring back the long term injured. At this stage we're just rehashing the same stuff, the same players are mentioned in the same way by the same people. Round and round and round it goes. Rinse repeat.

At this stage we're just rehashing the same stuff, the same players are mentioned in the same way by the same people. Round and round and round it goes. Rinse repeat.
Yeah, given the fact that we'll only have fringe players requesting a trade or retiring, it's unlikely we'll hear much about it till the next few weeks when trade discussions and retirement announcements start to occur.

I think Lane goes, there's no obligation to keep him because of the injury. His contract is up, he'd be on the long term injury list or unavailable for most of the season if kept on anyway. I'm not saying we abandon him, leave him to recover on his own. I think our only obligation to him is to see him medically right. Although maybe the way to keep him if we wanted, is to put him on the LTI for the whole 2025 season and hope it opens up for him the next year (2026) if we let Fort go.

We've got Fort, Smith has made great advances, as back up rucks. Young Gillet shows great promise coming in recently kicking 3 goals n 17 hit outs I think. Happy to put time into his development rather than Lane. Maybe Beecken could take that rookie spot.

Joyce I'm keeping, blah blah blah, oh my God. Didn't we go thru all this a few pages ago. The players under threat discussed at length, the number of players that need to be moved or delisted to draft and bring back the long term injured. At this stage we're just rehashing the same stuff, the same players are mentioned in the same way by the same people. Round and round and round it goes. Rinse repeat.
Rightio, in order to appease berrygood if something has been discussed once somewhere before; that topics done and should therefore not be discussed and no other opinions offered up any further by anyone else.🙄

At the moment we've got 38 senior list players, 7 Cat A players, and 2 Cat B players. So list management isn't much of an issue because we'll have 3-4 players, or more, either retire, get traded, or be delisted by the club.

Reportedly, according to recruiting people, it's unlikely that a F/S will go at #1 this year. Especially when Richmond has other talent they're seeking to draft, who have played in the VFL team lately: Langford, O'Sullivan, Reid, Smillie, Smith.

Draft picks are the main concern because Ashcroft & Marshall, who are the only 2 we've been publicly connected to, will both go in the first round, Ashcroft within top 5. We will trade draft picks during the trade period like normal + on the night to match bids.

We're also a prime candidate to trade our first pick to Richmond for multiple of their crappy later picks that they accumulated last year. Do that trade, wink wink and no bid at pick 1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're also a prime candidate to trade our first pick to Richmond for multiple of their crappy later picks that they accumulated last year. Do that trade, wink wink and no bid at pick 1.
I reckon all will be revealed once our finals campaign is completed in both the 1sts and reserves. Our list is looking pretty good at the moment and will improve next year once we get the second Ashcroft plus Coleman back into the side. I don't think Ashcroft will go at No 1 although he probably deserves to. His situation is similar to Daicos who was the best player in the draft but went at pick 4. We are probably going to pick up Marshall(wingman/midfielder) and Gillett(key postion/forward) as well so have very little room on our list for any other players. The only player we will need to find is a developable key position Backman. I can't see us picking up a ready made player unless he is an A grader as I don't think we can guarantee him a game in our 1sts.

The more Richmond players that nominate Fremantle or the Gold Coast, the better. Dev and Prior really need to land at West Coast to have a realistic chance of regular AFL footy. They probably should take Tunstill as well.

If Jack Graham doesn't make it to West Coast from Richmond, Dev has a really good chance.

It almost feels like Jack is being lined up for that exact role which they were chasing Dev last year.

May be we should keep our options open in terms of scrounging points from other clubs as well. If Richmond really end up offloading Rioli, Bolton etc, they may be flush with multiple first rounders already. In that scenario Richmond could ask for a ransom not to bid if they're intent on squeezing more first round picks from everyone.

If I was Richmond I'd be asking for Lions first rounders in 2024 and 2025 to avoid bidding on Ashcroft at Pick 1. Nothing to lose for them.

I reckon all will be revealed once our finals campaign is completed in both the 1sts and reserves. Our list is looking pretty good at the moment and will improve next year once we get the second Ashcroft plus Coleman back into the side. I don't think Ashcroft will go at No 1 although he probably deserves to. His situation is similar to Daicos who was the best player in the draft but went at pick 4. We are probably going to pick up Marshall(wingman/midfielder) and Gillett(key postion/forward) as well so have very little room on our list for any other players. The only player we will need to find is a developable key position Backman. I can't see us picking up a ready made player unless he is an A grader as I don't think we can guarantee him a game in our 1sts.

We could keep an eye out for Harry Arnold. If he gets delisted by Swans and we believe there's something to work with - he'd be a good rookie/depth pick.

However I'm more keen on developing ZZ and Lloyd at both ends to be honest. They are on the list already and with one more pre-season might be able to cover the depth we are looking for.

If Jack Graham doesn't make it to West Coast from Richmond, Dev has a really good chance.

It almost feels like Jack is being lined up for that exact role which they were chasing Dev last year.
West Coast isn't the only club out there that Dev could go to, it's just the most obvious one since they're in his home state and struggling. But I wonder if Richmond might be interested in Dev so they have another player in an age range they aren't well stocked in.

West Coast isn't the only club out there that Dev could go to, it's just the most obvious one since they're in his home state and struggling. But I wonder if Richmond might be interested in Dev so they have another player in an age range they aren't well stocked in.

True but I'd rather see him at West Coast than bloody Richmond. :p

We could keep an eye out for Harry Arnold. If he gets delisted by Swans and we believe there's something to work with - he'd be a good rookie/depth pick.

However I'm more keen on developing ZZ and Lloyd at both ends to be honest. They are on the list already and with one more pre-season might be able to cover the depth we are looking for.
ZZ is still an unknown quantity and Lloyd is projecting as a third tall either in the forward line or defence. Arnold is a possibility but is looking as a depth player rather than a certain best 22 starter. From what I have read Arnold has has injury problems so we will have to wait and see whether he recovers. We might be able to snag a promising key position backline player who can develop. Sometimes they get overlooked in the first part of the draft and we could pick up a bargain. It’s just an area of need for us and I reckon the recruiters we have might provide us with a surprise. We need a player who is 195 cm plus who has developable AFL attributes. Let’s see what happens?

May be we should keep our options open in terms of scrounging points from other clubs as well. If Richmond really end up offloading Rioli, Bolton etc, they may be flush with multiple first rounders already. In that scenario Richmond could ask for a ransom not to bid if they're intent on squeezing more first round picks from everyone.

If I was Richmond I'd be asking for Lions first rounders in 2024 and 2025 to avoid bidding on Ashcroft at Pick 1. Nothing to lose for them.
Draft tampering?

That's just an easy no though. This year is still the relatively easy to match bidding formula. So a pick 1 bid would be tough, but we could do it without training.

Trading away the F1 loses access to Annable (or any other highly rated academy kid for that matter), so we'd laugh that demand out of the room.

Not allowed to do that.

The best you can do is a relatively even trade with a wink and a nod. Anything disproportionate is going to get you investigated by the AFL.

BRISBANE LIONS

Amid an astronomical rise to near the top of the ladder, Brisbane’s best 23 hasn’t changed a heap outside of forced change — leaving out-of-favour midfielder Deven Robertson to bide his time in the reserves. As such, the Western Australian might consider his options at year’s end — he would surely be heavily considered by his hometown Eagles. With another Ashcroft father-son — gun Sandringham Dragons midfielder and prospective top-three draft choice Levi — preparing to enter the Springfield fray, the Lions aren’t likely to desperately hunt rival talent. Dayne Zorko remains without a deal for 2025 amid one of the best seasons of the 35-year old’s career, though he’s expected to sign on.

Agree
But i was not about to guess on players available in 6 months time.

When you look at our 2023 GF side there was only 3 changes to who lined up in round 1 the next year.
Payne missed the GF due to injury but played round 1.
McKenna played in the GF but not round 1 due to injury.
Robertson played in the GF but not in round 1

And Coleman within what felt like 5 minutes

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management discussion

Back