List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Killed on the spread =

1. not winning the ball at the contest or not being close enough to an opponent to interrupt their chain and/or

2. repeatedly coughing the ball up through poor disposal or just dumb brain fades.....

When the latter happens, our players are inevitably ahead of the ball and simply too far away to get back and defend (the same for every team frankly).

Fix 2. and 1. isn't much of a problem. imo.

That said, I'd love Billy Wilson, for example, to get a game or two and tear it up!

Pace effects this though.
Which player has the better disposal and/or decision making? The one kicking to TDK, or the one kicking to Pitto?

Pace means you can find space more easily, but also cover a not so good kick. It means you can find an extra split second to avoid some pressure to make a better decision, or a better disposal. And likewise, you can be a fraction of a second quicker to put pressure on the oppo.

Our midfield is stacked with big bodies who are not great runners, quick or agile and we are about to double down on this by adding B Campo and Lord, appreciate they are more balanced then some of the above, but you get the drift. Given the above depth and those mentioned who are incoming I’d be in favour of offloading one of Kennedy or Hewitt, particularly given Doc will be back next year and can also play this role. Kennedy or Hewitt would surely net us a second rounder and I’d be in favour of packaging this up to get another first round pick in.

Also, I would LOVE to see Kemp and JSOS flip roles next year. I feel jacks traits suit the back line more and that Kemp would literally be the perfect 3rd mobile tall.

In my view I think it needs to be Haynes + a true key defender who essentially replaces Sam Durdin. Young defensively isn't the issue imo - it's his slow decision making by foot. Fix that and he has a chance to get back in this team.
Young’s issue is a lack of competitiveness/aggression/desire, not slow ball movement.

Interestingly Footy Classified just put up a stat regarding the Defenders with the highest 1v1 loss % in 2024, and surprisingly Barrass came in equal 3rd with a 1v1 loss of 34.4%. (Top 5 were 1. C.Comden 41.9%, 2. J.Kelly 40%, 3. B.McKay 34.4%, 4. T.Barrass 34.4%, J.Laverde 34.2% .... so * have 3 of the worst 1v1 defenders!!)
Crazy Essendon stats, probably tells you how easily the balls coming in too, maybe why Comben and Barrass are so poor too, being in weak sides

Young’s issue is a lack of competitiveness/aggression/desire, not slow ball movement.
I think it's both - if you watch him when he takes a mark it takes him like 10 seconds to get back on his mark and then another 10 seconds to dispose of the ball. Needs to either handball it straight away to a runner (directive from the coaches) or just kick it long earlier (as that is where it's going anyway).

Interestingly Footy Classified just put up a stat regarding the Defenders with the highest 1v1 loss % in 2024, and surprisingly Barrass came in equal 3rd with a 1v1 loss of 34.4%. (Top 5 were 1. C.Comden 41.9%, 2. J.Kelly 40%, 3. B.McKay 34.4%, 4. T.Barrass 34.4%, J.Laverde 34.2% .... so * have 3 of the worst 1v1 defenders!!)
Think it's more that the Eagles' young midfield applies no defence, meaning the delivery inside forward 50 makes it as hard as possible for Barrass to defend effectively. It's no coincidence that that list is made up of players from the bottom teams and * who's midfield is slower and more one-paced than even ours.

I know Haynes has been a good player but Im still not sure he is what we need.

The missing 2nd KPD has caused us all sorts of grief.

Reckon if we paid up a bit more and get a player specifically for KPD it might be more beneficial.

We really need some stability in defence.

I dont want us to find another make shift player to fill that role.
We could still do that and get Haynes too.
No less reliable injury wise than McGovern and a better player.
Weitering, traded in player and Haynes F/A = win for us.

Twomey on Gettable said he'd "be surprised" if Haynes isn't at Carlton.
Further on Gettable:

-Martin gone, Freo interested
-Bot to WC, although they said possibly as a DFA which I would be horrified at
-Haven’t offered a deal to Owies (we knew this)
-Young gettable (which I’m a bit surprised by, given they mentioned our need for KPD)
-not many rucks available, clubs could look at Pitto

I honestly think it's a confidence issue more than anything....maybe the fact that he spends most of his time in the magoo's then only gets thrown into the side in case of emergency has something to do with it.

When he first came to the club, we were singing his praises, so we know he has it in him. And when Weiters was injured at the start of the year and Young became the man, he was playing some good footy before getting dumped again when Weiters returned. What would that do for your confidence?

Interesting though in his last game in the VFL - the commentators commented that he was moving the ball a lot quicker than previously, which was fairly obvious when you watched it. No doubt it's something he's been working on with the coaching staff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly think it's a confidence issue more than anything....maybe the fact that he spends most of his time in the magoo's then only gets thrown into the side in case of emergency has something to do with it.

When he first came to the club, we were singing his praises, so we know he has it in him. And when Weiters was injured at the start of the year and Young became the man, he was playing some good footy before getting dumped again when Weiters returned. What would that do for your confidence?

Interesting though in his last game in the VFL - the commentators commented that he was moving the ball a lot quicker than previously, which was fairly obvious when you watched it. No doubt it's something he's been working on with the coaching staff.
Confidence could absolutely effect competitiveness/aggression etc, but I do think we can blame being dropped for his form, think it’s the other way round.

Played 19 games in 22 after missing the first 2 rounds.
Extended his contract in March last year, then played 15 games.
Obviously only 6 so far this year, but his form the last 2 years hasn’t come close to his best footy in 22.

Would keep Young unless the offer is favourable or will help us cut another deal. Need KPD depth. The other 4 id have on the table. I would say keep Martin, but i lack confidence he can get his body right, we need a player of his ilk and class on the park consistently. He is quite thrilling to watch in full flight and can change the game in a flash. Just I think we can give that list spot to a player who will make a difference. Cuningham and Marchbank fall in the same boat, their papers seem stamped already it seems.

Well if we’re into Haynes,May as well get Parker but another slow mid dosent help still classy player who could add experience.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm interested in his strength and dynamic forward craft. I feel like he's a little quicker than Cripps, Kennedy, Hewett and Cerra though.

would you take a 3r pick for Young? lets say pick 41 from Richmond

rookie Liam McMahon as a Martin replacement.

McMahon is around 198cm. He's a key forward. Cover for the two big boppers.

Last edited:
Just find a way to get Hotton and Berry this draft, add Cody to the mix in a couple of years and that’s a deadly trio.

Also grab Conor Stone this year and it’s a great injection into our group
Reckon it's a stretch to get 2 first rounders this year, but I like your thinking.

High draft picks are going to be at a premium with the compromised drafts looming, so you'd probably have to pay overs to get a shot at one. On the other hand, you could potentially pick up a bargain from another club like Stone or Konstanty if you dangle a future 1st for trade.

My list” is compiled from feedback that is right in front of us and being stated by many in the know.

The “ins” are taken from what is available, what we can afford under the salary cap and what we need. You said “we don’t have a young developing list”. We need players developing. The future is as important as the now. We have a window, but we don’t want to end up like Tigers or Eagles bottoming that low. We have some excellent prospects to come in over the next couple of years which will replenish us.
I don’t know a Carlton supporter who would care if we bottomed out like the Tigers if we win 3 premierships, or even the Eagles who are 1-1 in grand finals the past 10 years, both clubs are also at the end of their runs totally misread where their list was at, delaying any rebuild.

Our existing list is capable of a flag with some luck and a couple of tweaks. Those tweaks are available in this draft and have been spoken about on these pages. We need another key defender immediately and will need another one developing very soon. (Haynes hopefully buys us two years to allow development) We cannot buy any more ready to go stars with the current commitment to our contracted players. It is down to top ups, incremental gains through speculative trades and primarily generation next being put together bit by bit.
I’m not convinced Haynes who I’ve always seen as a third tall, helps with our KPD issues.

If we can’t chase and add good players this year or last year because we can’t afford it, we have well and truely blown our flag chances.

If Geelong can go out and pay $1M to get Cameron after a decade of success, the Tigers can go pay $1M to get Lynch after they win the grand final, the Swans can go and get Grundy, the lions can go and get Dunkley and we can only afford cast offs after one finals appearance in a decade, then that’s a bad situation to be in.

I’m also not expecting us to go get star players like Peteacca but Neale Bullen types, Collins types, Tom McDonald, Luke Parker, Conor Stone, Peatling, Acres or Hollands types.

If we stand still list wise, we will get overtaken
As has been mentioned by others replying to my post, there are other possibilities for trading. Pittonet and Young are likely to become surplus, but they have a purpose on the list and are contracted. I suspect we would resist Pittonet trades until O’Keeffe is “blooded”,
I replied to your post as it only had one player coming in, in Haynes then just draft picks, that doesn’t represent a team in the premiership window pushing for a premiership, if that’s balanced with other players that fill a need, then that changes.
I would prefer not to trade Carroll or Owies just yet, but they are uncontracted and likely have suitors. We need the spots.
As long as we replace them with similar or better and don’t rely on draftees to replace them, we need a strong VFL side, replacing these types with kids makes us worse. Hopefully that’s not the case.

Further on Gettable:

-Martin gone, Freo interested
-Bot to WC, although they said possibly as a DFA which I would be horrified at
-Haven’t offered a deal to Owies (we knew this)
-Young gettable (which I’m a bit surprised by, given they mentioned our need for KPD)
-not many rucks available, clubs could look at Pitto
Bot?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Back