List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

He's a back up that appears to be playing hurt.
I'm not sure what people are really expecting..

Bigfooty trades: where you think someone is shit so someone else should send something to you to acquire them, whilst simultaneously never wishing to trade anything of value.
Ok letā€™s say heā€™s playing hurt.

Why?

Heā€™s been the number 2 ruck most of the year. I get injuries happen but check his injury record, Austin needs a smack for signing an always injured lumbering back up ruck to a four year deal.

Letā€™s go a bit deeper with the cull of injured players

Thoughts on Odriscol from Freo? Came on as the sub today, straight in the guts, looked to have some pace. Looked good.
Same as Peatling, love what the Gawks have done, we just need to really pick a player or two that fixes a need.
Quality winger but has had a lot of issues with injury already.

Just an opinion on a few suggestions made in the last few pages.
I've never been a huge fan of Austin but I'll give him full credit for Acres and E. Hollands. Absolutely fantastic recruiting there. Yet to do a lot in the draft though.
As for our off field team, I think Lloyd should be gone but who are the possible replacements?
Wright seems to be on the outer at the pies but he has been good at the role for a long time.

Like to hear any reasonable opinions from ITK Vic posters as I haven't been listening to Melbourne radio much this year.
Caller into 3AW this arvo said Cook should go all out to get Wright to head up footy department, and Jimmy Bartel in some sort of role as well.
Bartel didnā€™t dismiss it, said heā€™s always open to discussion.

The point of my post was it is not about blame but fixing the problem. Austin has had 4 years. SoS is irrelevant and we can only change out who is currently in the chair

Whilst my post was in jest I agree with you Austen has had enough time to make fixes. Yet we still have no key defence depth, no quality small forwards and too many injury prone players causing a lack of players available generally. All were issues when he started in 2019 and all remain so 5 years on.

Andrew Russell had even longer with no results now heā€™s rightly gone. Lloyd should be next to be called into question shortly. Voss needs more time IMO. At the end of the day these blokes are all rent seekers along for the ride. We the fans will be around long after they are gone.

A combination of the below, plus hitting the draft would be a good off-season:

Stone - Martin
Haynes (FA) - Marchbank
Peatling - Carroll
Konstanty - Owies
McMahon (DFA) - Young
Grainger-Barras (DFA) - Big Durdin

BP: Haynes
CHB: Grainger-Barras
MID: Peatling
HF/MID: Stone
SF: Konstanty
FF: McMahon

Great Post. This is is the type of realistic strategic recruiting + 2 high draft picks required to fill needs. I don't know all the players but Sure beats hail mary's like Petracca
Just seen this post from earlier today and quite staggered that somebody so vocal about Austin and list management doesn't know all the players listed. How can you say its strategic recruiting to fill needs and better than hail mary's like Petracca when you don't know who all the players are ?

Why?

Heā€™s been the number 2 ruck most of the year. I get injuries happen but check his injury record, Austin needs a smack for signing an always injured lumbering back up ruck to a four year deal.

Why? I assume because we lack alternatives.
He was re-signed last year, when he was our number 1 ruck.

Why?

His limited ability and attributes unfortunately donā€™t quite stand up in the way that the game is played, more of a mobile a ruck foward is what the list needsā€¦

Just seen this post from earlier today and quite staggered that somebody so vocal about Austin and list management doesn't know all the players listed. How can you say its strategic recruiting to fill needs and better than hail mary's like Petracca when you don't know who all the players are ?
Because for starter's it fills needs. Austin has not filled our need for pace and a kpd.
Petracca is a pipe dream & unrealistic

At this time of year it's still nothing more than guesstimation.
We know that Owies is being offered more money. We also know that Martin is being looked at by Freo, etc but what we don't know is who might ask to leave.
Has Cerra had enough of injuries?
Will Kemp seek a chance to play a role other than defence?
For all we know someone might offer TDK a big money deal to beat the F/A rush.
These are all the intangibles right up until trade deadline day.

All I know atm is I don't wanna sell the farm for anyone. Not even Petracca.
Keep all our guns. Harry, Charlie, Cripps, Weitering and Walsh.

I think some on our list are decent footballers but not necessarily the types that will take us to a premiership.
Gov and Hewitt are in that category imho.
Kennedy is versatile so I'd want him to stay.

Maybe Geelong make Pitto an offer?

I'd like to get in Haynes. Won't cost fa and still could make a contribution.
Anyone who watched Sydney on Friday would know that Parker still has plenty to offer.
Ash Johnson from Collingwood is another I'd be asking about. All fill a need on the list.

I'd be very surprised if Austin doesn't pick another undervalued gem ala Acres and Hollands.
This time I hope he does it by finding us a chb.

At this time of year it's still nothing more than guesstimation.
We know that Owies is being offered more money. We also know that Martin is being looked at by Freo, etc but what we don't know is who might ask to leave.
Has Cerra had enough of injuries?
Will Kemp seek a chance to play a role other than defence?
For all we know someone might offer TDK a big money deal to beat the F/A rush.
These are all the intangibles right up until trade deadline day.

All I know atm is I don't wanna sell the farm for anyone. Not even Petracca.
Keep all our guns. Harry, Charlie, Cripps, Weitering and Walsh.

I think some on our list are decent footballers but not necessarily the types that will take us to a premiership.
Gov and Hewitt are in that category imho.
Kennedy is versatile so I'd want him to stay.

Maybe Geelong make Pitto an offer?

I'd like to get in Haynes. Won't cost fa and still could make a contribution.
Anyone who watched Sydney on Friday would know that Parker still has plenty to offer.
Ash Johnson from Collingwood is another I'd be asking about. All fill a need on the list.

I'd be very surprised if Austin doesn't pick another undervalued gem ala Acres and Hollands.
This time I hope he does it by finding us a chb.
What does Parker provide to our team that we lack?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You obviously didn't watch the game on Friday.
3rd quarter, 3 goals, 2 centre clearances that directly resulted in goals.
But hey, we don't need goal kicking mids.
My bad.
Yep... We need ANOTHER slow inside midfielder who averages 0.6 goals a game over his career with maybe 1-2 more years left in the tank...

We need speed, spread and footskills across the field to support our own Luke Parker's on the team. We don't need any more of them.

Yep... We need ANOTHER slow inside midfielder who averages 0.6 goals a game over his career with maybe 1-2 more years left in the tank...

We need speed, spread and footskills across the field to support our own Luke Parker's on the team. We don't need any more of them.
Watch a game before you criticise a performance.
When the game was there to be won, he was a huge factor in swinging it Sydney's way, both up forward and from centre clearances.
We need goal kicking mids that can rise to the occasion.

Watch a game before you criticise a performance.
When the game was there to be won, he was a huge factor in swinging it Sydney's way, both up forward and from centre clearances.
We need goal kicking mids that can rise to the occasion.
I watch plenty of games. Parker is not what we need at all.

If you think a midfield of

Cripps
Parker
Hewett
Walsh
Cerra
Kennedy
Carroll

Is going to take us any further next year I can't help you. We'd have the slowest midfield ever assembled.

Just my opinion Soapā€¦

I see Jsos as having the ability to play behind the ball, great footy smarts, what i think he would provide better besides Weitering is the natural reading of defending and spoiling of the ball as well as an interception mark, before he got injured he looked like he had just taking his game up to another level, i was one who really liked him playing the 2nd ruck position even if he couldnā€™t win in the tap outs he was similar to TDK as another tall onballer who gave us another advantage amongst the contested ground contests..

I suggested earlier in the season that Iā€™d like to see Lemmey given a role in defense, thereā€™s been a clear observation from a number of us on here that the kid lacks the aggressive nature within his game that he requires so a shift behinds the ball may help him become more focused and accountable, in a struggling side it seemed that he wasnā€™t able to cope with the role, the past 6 weeks he has definitely improved back in him more natural forward roleā€¦

Oā€™Keefe he seems to be a good young moving natural ruckman, love his aggressive nature, hunts the contest, needs to improve his marking particularly contested, looks good when resting forward an okay kick for goal, not sure he has the overall craft to play as a KPD, maybe resting on the opposition resting ruck, good young player hopefully his hamstrings arenā€™t an issue going forwardā€¦

Grainier-Barrass is a bust, only at best a third tall who been played forward by the Hawks, my brother is a hawks supporter we watch and talk a bit of footy across our teams, if he was any good heā€™d be playing firsts, not good enough unfortunately šŸ‘
Be real Jsos will likely not get another contact after 2025 we would be doing terrible if he is in 22. He will be 27 when season start will likely to be even slower he will play about 5-8 games at best will likely be leader of VFL side along with Lewis Young. Silvagni and Fantasia are likely to be moved on looking at the list coming off contract. Wilson. Lord will be first to sign, Monahan and Lemmey have time both are long term projects. Weitering, Cerra and De Koning the major ones to sign.. Newman and Docherty will probably go another year. Motlop and Kemp will be kept more likely. Hewett and Kennedy likely kept until the young ones take over 2026/2027. Saad and McGovern will go on as well.

These 3 are the most in Danger looking at list while the next 2 are signed for 2026.

Jack Silvagni
Orazio Fantasia
Alex Cincotta
Lewis Young Signed until 2026
Corey Durdin Signed until 2026

Jack Silvagni
Jesse Motlop
Adam Cerra
Matthew Kennedy
Mitch McGovern
Tom De Koning
Orazio Fantasia
Sam Docherty
Brodie Kemp
Jacob Weitering
Nic Newman
George Hewett
Harry Lemmey
Rob Monahan
Billy Wilson
Cooper Lord
Alex Cincotta
Adam Saad

I watch plenty of games. Parker is not what we need at all.

If you think a midfield of

Cripps
Parker
Hewett
Walsh
Cerra
Kennedy
Carroll

Is going to take us any further next year I can't help you. We'd have the slowest midfield ever assembled.
The dogs having Bont, Libba, Dunkley, Macrae, Treloar takes the cake there

Iā€™ve seen the odd poster get shot down for suggesting it, but I still think there is some sort of possibility that Docherty retires this season.

What heā€™s come back from is a tough ordeal. Having to do it over and over again must be taxing. Heā€™s a man with a young family. At what point do you say it is enough?

Maybe he has enjoyed the coaching aspect? It just wouldnā€™t surprise me if he walks away from playing.

Iā€™ve seen the odd poster get shot down for suggesting it, but I still think there is some sort of possibility that Docherty retires this season.

What heā€™s come back from is a tough ordeal. Having to do it over and over again must be taxing. Heā€™s a man with a young family. At what point do you say it is enough?

Maybe he has enjoyed the coaching aspect? It just wouldnā€™t surprise me if he walks away from playing.
I think the fact his rehab from the latest knee injury has gone well I can see him going on for one more year.

If he was any good they wouldn't be chasing both Battle and Tom Barrass
Doesnt he have injury issues?
Precluding him from any consistency.

So it would appear unlike us doubling down, and doubling down again on our version... marchbank...

The hawks are solving their problems by chasing Barass and Battle.

Probably proactively avoiding a "fingers crossed" approach to list mgt.... when it comes to the role grainger barras plays in defence

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

Iā€™d like to see one of Oā€™Keefe Lemmey or Silvagni moved to defence supporting McGovern Cowan Weitering Young Newman plus Haynes as our mid size to taller defenders. As I have said I would look at Grainger-Barrass as a cheap option

Then up forward we have McKay Charlie Kemp TDK (and 2 of Oā€™Keefe Silvagni Lemmey) as our taller forwards. Moir as well
Iā€™d look at Wright or Ladhams as cheap recruits as depth options that can play Ruck/KPD

IMO our list then has good balance around KP/Ruck and we can then focus on runners
I haven't seen enough of them to be able to tell whether they can do it or not. O'Keefe and Lemmey. Watching them the first half of this season I would say they are far too weak in the air. But that can change. For mine it would be a hell of a hail mary experiment and I don't think either would end up better than Young.

Silvagni is a little undersized but sometimes height is not that important. There are good tall defenders around who aren't super tall but they are smart, read it early in the air and have a leap and good body work.

I think the key to our success is DeKoning playing in the middle. He's ok forward. I'm just not convinced that having three really big forwards is a good thing in modern footy with pressure and two way run so important. I'd prefer our third tall forward to be Silvagni who tackles and had a solid ground level game.

You have seen more than me but the bits I have seen, O'Keefe and Lemmy haven't convinced me yet. Still waiting to see if they have a maturity moment and come on.

I think we have our hearts set on Moir being best 22 next season. We will want him as a small and leading option. I think he has some genuine forward craft.

I think relying on a ruckman who is quite some way away from playing AFL and a key forward who hasn't set the VFL on fire yet to fill a key defensive role is a huge stretch. Not impossible but a bit of a stretch.

I think the key defender needs to be athletic and have a bit of pace because Weitering is the bigger slower defender back there and there will be times that our second forward will need to play on someone quicker and taller. Not a big deal if the pressure around the ground improves but that is my preference. MArchbank would have been good, Liam Jones would have been good. McKay is the athletic tall who can mark and read the game but we may see him too valuable in defence. Or maybe we can recruit someone.

I think Lemmy and O'Keefe won't be AFL ready next season. They will be developing and hoping to either push for AFL games later in the season or they will be moved on if they aren't.

McKay in defense makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, if youā€™re looking at repositioning a player, Wright who has the physical traits to possibly be a key defender might be worth trialing in defense to see if he could live up to his overall potential like Lobb has behind the ballā€¦
I remember getting the same replies years ago when I was pushing to try Liam Jones in defence.

We don't have a CHB, it makes a lot of sense if we can't recruit a CHB but can recruit a key forward.

I actually would not be against Wright in defence. Is he quick enough? Possibly. I'd definitely be asking about him. Too much talent to not be playing AFL football.

Isnā€™t the rhetoric on here always along the lines of ā€œwhy are we playing x out of positionā€?
Would not be out of position. Would be an AA defender. Better version of Ben.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back