List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Any interest in Peter Wright? We were into him when he left GCS but Bombers offered more.

KPF that can support Ruck. Be good combo w TDK. Allows Charlie not to be big man target and more mobile and would allow Jack to go back

Wouldnā€™t cost much and still only 27. Best ahead of him
Nah, I think anyone who has a question mark over commitment and effort should be avoided at all costs.
Our list for the past 10 years has been about recycled players and the maybes they might present. Acres and Saad have been great but I would rather go after someone who wants to come to the club to play rather than just turn up and collect their pay check.

What did he do?

Go watch games against GWS and others around that time. He was very impressive. Marking, tap outs, possessions etc Better than I ever thought he could produce. Surprised me

His last few weeks have been pathetic. Is it injury or form? I donā€™t know but I have seen him play some very good footy. Issue is he also has a lot of poor games

So youā€™re not sure itā€™s just or only the recruiting either?
It is all of the elements: fitness, list managment, assistant coaching that resulted from the failure of the last review, which did not address them. The last review only addressed the senior coach. It is the same behaviour at Carlton for 23 years. The solution is a football oriented board, with some modern football nous.

It is all of the elements: fitness, list managment, assistant coaching that resulted from the failure of the last review, which did not address them. The last review only addressed the senior coach. It is the same behaviour at Carlton for 23 years. The solution is a football oriented board, with some modern football nous.

Fair. But before you were blaming recruiting

I donā€™t know the answer but I struggle to put it all on recruiting

Fair. But before you were blaming recruiting

I donā€™t know the answer but I struggle to put it all on recruiting
Rating recruiting is carlton's relative performance with late picks compared to the side that beat us last week, as we had late picks. Hawthorn's success relative to our failure is just a fact. The Carlton list was unbalanced lacking run and carry, burst from stoppage prior to the review 4 years ago and it still is today. I just don't think you can win a flag today in a 25 week season, purely with contest and pressure.

If we can't find a good key defender but could find a key forward. I wonder how we would go next season if we moved one of McKay or Curnow to CHB? Either would be immediate elite defenders. Just a thought if say Peter Wright is gettable.

I'm not sure how this works out, just a thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick Austin at the Williamstown - GWS game today at Willy.

Obviously keepinā€™ on eye on our man Haynes. Be interesting if a player like Callum Brown would be on our radar? Gifted athlete, only just turned 24 and adds another dynamic to our forward line. Heā€™s a talent & a very difficult match up for opposition defences. Out of contract end of next year.

P.s - thereā€™s some individual talent in that Giants reserves team. Xavier Oā€™Hallaran, Leek Aleer (now thereā€™s a player youā€™d love), Wade Derksen etc. Aleer is into his third season now - wonder how impatient he might be gettingā€¦

Last edited:
If we can't find a good key defender but could find a key forward. I wonder how we would go next season if we moved one of McKay or Curnow to CHB? Either would be immediate elite defenders. Just a thought if say Peter Wright is gettable.

I'm not sure how this works out, just a thought.
No

Rating recruiting is carlton's relative performance with late picks compared to the side that beat us last week, as we had late picks. Hawthorn's success relative to our failure is just a fact. The Carlton list was unbalanced lacking run and carry, burst from stoppage prior to the review 4 years ago and it still is today. I just don't think you can win a flag today in a 25 week season, purely with contest and pressure.
You can't claim as fact because you can't argue the counterfactual

Not sure about that, he's the best 1v1 defender in the comp by a margin which the stats show. He has been for a few years. Suggesting his intercepting is better would have him as the best intercepting backman by a long way.

But your overall point I agree with, I'd like him to be allowed to play a little looser and more an intercepting role, it's something we miss. I know McGov and Kemp notionally play the role but I'm not convinced by either.
Very few that have class and ability to actually beat the competitions best opponents 1v1

If Kemp or McGovern are our CHB next season or we get Haynes. Whichever. Say Wright is a 4th rounder, cheap as...

Which is better?

B: Weitering
HB: McKay
C: Cripps
HF: Wright
F: Curnow

or

HB: Kemp or MCGovern or Haynes
HF: McKay

It's a tricky one. I've seen lesser forward lines of both win flags. I think we are a bit scared because we know how weak our small/medium forward are.

If Kemp or McGovern are our CHB next season or we get Haynes. Whichever. Say Wright is a 4th rounder, cheap as...

Which is better?

or

It's a tricky one. I've seen lesser forward lines of both win flags. I think we are a bit scared because we know how weak our small/medium forward are.
McKay is way too good ahead of the ball. Donā€™t move him after a career best (or at worst second best) season

Which is better?

or

The best option is just getting a half decent key back from somewhere and keeping our 2 biggest weapons on the list where they've played 99% of their careers. Shifting either of them would be madness

McKay is way too good ahead of the ball. Donā€™t move him after a career best (or at worst second best) season
So was Stephen Silvagni.

His brother is a gun key defender, Harry is a better player in general. Depends what is best for the team. Depends if we can get a good key defender or a good key forward.

Here'a a question. We go into next season and Haynes is not the answer. Neither are Kemp or McGovern. But Lemmy is kicking 3 or 4 each week but can't play back.

What do you do?

The best option is just getting a half decent key back from somewhere and keeping our 2 biggest weapons on the list where they've played 99% of their careers. Shifting either of them would be madness
and if we can't?

We should have all our options open.

So was Stephen Silvagni.

His brother is a gun key defender, Harry is a better player in general. Depends what is best for the team. Depends if we can get a good key defender or a good key forward.

Here'a a question. We go into next season and Haynes is not the answer. Neither are Kemp or McGovern. But Lemmy is kicking 3 or 4 each week but can't play back.

What do you do?

and if we can't?

We should have all our options open.
Isnā€™t the rhetoric on here always along the lines of ā€œwhy are we playing x out of positionā€?

Nick Austin at the Williamstown - GWS game today at Willy.

Obviously keepinā€™ on eye on our man Haynes. Be interesting if a player like Callum Brown would be on our radar? Gifted athlete, only just turned 24 and adds another dynamic to our forward line. Heā€™s a talent & a very difficult match up for opposition defences. Out of contract end of next year.

P.s - thereā€™s some individual talent in that Giants reserves team. Xavier Oā€™Hallaran, Leek Aleer (now thereā€™s a player youā€™d love), Wade Derksen etc. Aleer is into his third season now - wonder how impatient he might be gettingā€¦
Future first for leeky...yeah baby

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back