List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Cody Walker will be just as good as Cripps.
The team is a changing dynamic, use the draft and trade sensibly, everything doesn't hinge on 1 or 2 players.
Not suggesting everything hinges on Petracca at all. I'm saying he provides the extra 10% we need to make us premiers. That's why we all follow this isn't it, to watch this club win flags?

He might add 10%, but we lose more than that by trading one of our gun keys.
Yeah that's the part where I don't quite agree. But that's ok.

Collingwood last year proved you don't need all these great talls to win. They won with Cox for goodness sake. We've got so much salary cap invested in areas that can't help when our midfield gets overrun.

Yeah that's the part where I don't quite agree. But that's ok.

Collingwood last year proved you don't need all these great talls to win. They won with Cox for goodness sake. We've got so much salary cap invested in areas that can't help when our midfield gets overrun.
They fluked it.
Got given an armchair ride by the umps two weeks in a row to win by 1 and 4 points.
And now they've missed the finals.

That's not a list build that you want to be emulating.

Curnow has been playing poorly on a bung ankle. Falling over constantly, playing behind his opponent demanding his teammates kick the ball 70m+ so he push them off and run back into goal. He's not tradable when he's fit.
Thats curnow when fit ! Thatā€™s just the way he plays .. awkward , looks lazy but somehow gets it done but agree not tradeable

They fluked it.
Got given an armchair ride by the umps two weeks in a row to win by 1 and 4 points.

dogs are only relevant because of JUH and Darcy and Collingwood because of N Daicos. There is so much luck involved in building a list and when you see 90% of people completely misread Hawthorn it shows how hard it is.

They fluked it.

So which list do you want to be emulating? Geelong possibly (Cameron/Hawkins)? Richmond certainly didn't have two big key forwards, neither did Melbourne.

It's nice to have, it's not a necessity to be successful.

So which list do you want to be emulating? Geelong possibly (Cameron/Hawkins)? Richmond certainly didn't have two big key forwards, neither did Melbourne.

I'd ask you the question - Would we still have a midfield issue in terms of pace, defensive pressure and delivery inside 50 if we added two quality high half forwards instead of Trac?

Petracca is one of those superstar talents that would make it hard to be upset about, but I don't think he's necessary to fix our problems through the middle and if we were to trade Harry, if Charlie goes down at all we're totally fked.

I must have imagined Jack Riewoldt and Tom Lynch.
And Richmond's 2nd and 3rd flags in 4 years.

There's not a player in the comp that doesn't have flaws to their game.
It's up to the coaching staff to blend skillsets to achieve the desired balance.
I'd be more open than some to trading out some of our existing players with similar skillsets in order to acquire players or picks that can be utilised to provide better balance - this is not a slight on the player at all though.
If I were being critical of our LM teams, I'd suggest that SOS went for the boom/bust option too often & Austin's approach has been somewhat reactionary.
There are arguments to be made for and against both.
Yep. Agree completely. We're very averse to trading anyone of value. There seems to be a consensus that we've got gaps in our list. We either give up something of quality to get quality in, go to the draft and develop our own or look for an undervalued player ala Newman, Acres, Eli.

How brave are we? I completely get why people wouldn't want to consider trading our A and B grade talent, especially where we've come from. But we're not the Carlton of a decade ago, we've got heaps of quality on the list. What we're probably lacking is the right balance and skillset to dominate.

We're good enough for top 4 and probably should have been. But if we want to be a bonafide premiership contender, what are we missing? 2nd lockdown KPD? A genuine intercept defender? Players that can take the ball from inside to outside? Flankers with genuine pace? A capable 3rd forward?

What are we in surplus of? Contested ball players is the obvious area. Who are the players that we might get overs for from opposition players? Can we use these assets to better balance the list?

Yes this is something I've considered... The way I'd look at it is as such. Blue is the goal kickers, green is the pressure and link up play, yellow is a bit of a hybrid. To unlock the best of the goal kickers I think we need better players ahead of them who can get higher up the ground and be dangerous there so it widens the field for our core goal scorers. Go into 2025 with

Fogarty Curnow Switkowski
Berry Mckay Williams

E.Hollands

Then you have Moir, Kemp, Durdin and others as depth/trying to break into that team.

Would you get enough goals from that group? I can't say for sure but I certainly prefer it to our currently very limited group up forward who really don't get involved up the ground at all outside of Fog.

you want to bring in a 27yo Switkowski who averages 0.6 goals a game?

For reference, a 27yo Matt Owies averages more than double this.

You can have as much pressure as you want but the small forwards you have around Curnow & McKay are simply not regular goalkickers.

Richmond had Riewoldt and Lynch

Collingwood played Frampton and have Cox because itā€™s a winning structure even though theyā€™re shit trucks.

Melbourne had a firing Tom McDonald and a young Luke Jackson in 2021

West Coast had Kennedy and Darling and others

We have 2 guns for tall forwards, itā€™s up to the coaches and the players themselves to maximise that clear advantage, not move one on

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I love Harry and would be quite sad to see him traded but with the rise of TDK and the return of JSOS a lot of what Harry gives us can arguably be covered. Having Tracc in Navy Blue alongside Crippa would be such a scary prospect for opponents. Its something to consider šŸ¤”

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you want to bring in a 27yo Switkowski who averages 0.6 goals a game?

For reference, a 27yo Matt Owies averages more than double this.

You can have as much pressure as you want but the small forwards you have around Curnow & McKay are simply not regular goalkickers.
Switkowski is shit.. just classic over valuing opposition players that 'may' be available.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's "reminded the club of his desire to leave" wowee, can anyone copy any quotes from the attached discussing this?
Any potential trade is far from being determined. Indeed, it remains unlikely at this stage as Carlton have not even raised the prospect with McKay.

The Blues declined to comment.
ā€œI havenā€™t heard from Carlton and Harry is very happy there,ā€ McKayā€™s manager, Dave Trotter, told this masthead when contacted about a potential trade.

Sounds like a Demons' fantasy

Sounds like a Demons' fantasy
Disregard the McKay stuff.. this is wild to me:

"The Norm Smith medallist reiterated to his teammates on Saturday night, and the club during his exit interview on Monday, that he wants to play for a rival Victorian club in 2025".

This is actually happening?

Disregard the McKay stuff.. this is wild to me:

"The Norm Smith medallist reiterated to his teammates on Saturday night, and the club during his exit interview on Monday, that he wants to play for a rival Victorian club in 2025".

This is actually happening?
There's a hell of a lot of smoke.

Hun on it too.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back