List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Liam Ryan would fill a need. But again, he’s a little on the injury prone side so not sure.

Sam wicks, would he be worth a shot?

Whom ever we target, imo must have that point of difference to what we already have.
I don’t believe we need to much to see big change in how we play
Ryan would be the gold standard if we could get him but I do agree, Sam Wicks would be a good get. Though he could miss the first two games next year if the VFL sanction is upheld.

Any chance of us being able to use our first and second round picks before taking them? Or do you think that is too optimistic despite some of the late picks we were able to bring in from last trade period.

I think we can

Another reason I want some more early picks and am happy to trade future picks. If we had picks around 8 & 14 they would be safe and we would get good players. A pick inside 25 would probably be safe as well

May even use picks we get in 30s & 40s for names like Garcia or Wicks as examples

Then we stockpile points for the Twins

Many possibles but I think we have a great opportunity to fill a lot of spots

I don’t know alot about these campo boys(other than what I read on here), but are they going to give us the right type of player we need? Or is it a case of we just have to take them because there a father/son?

Any chance of us being able to use our first and second round picks before taking them? Or do you think that is too optimistic despite some of the late picks we were able to bring in from last trade period.

Most of the ratings have Ben just outside the top 30.
Our current picks are 10 & 30.

Who knows what other trades and moves we make, but at this stage we'd probably have to be a bit unlucky not to get 2 players before Ben, and given the new rules, there's a reasonable chance we'd be able to take Lucas as a Rookie.

Sam Wicks (Syd)
Harry Sharp (Bris)
Lachie Charleson (Port)
Isaac Cumming (FA - GWS)

Id even have a crack at Corey Warner end entice him with game time.

Are the types of cheap running depth we should be targeting to bring in to the club.

The KPD pool is very thin but I’d be zoning in on Elliot Himmelberg or looking at a mobile ruckman who’s not getting game time to be repurposed into a KPD in the same vein as Rory Lobb.

I don’t know alot about these campo boys(other than what I read on here), but are they going to give us the right type of player we need? Or is it a case of we just have to take them because there a father/son?
Ben Camporeale is a perfect Cripps replacement. Won't be as tall but will have a ready made body for AFL.

Ben is really hard nosed, more like a Cripps or Serong - not super skilled or quick

I haven’t seen a ton of his footy however, someone else may know better

Lucas is less likely, he may even go as a rookie

I don’t know how F/S works as a a rookie, can we get discounts there too? Or is just ND?

I don’t know how F/S works as a a rookie, can we get discounts there too? Or is just ND?

They have just changed the rules about this, and it's not entirely clear exactly how it works.
But roughly if there is no bid, you can pick them in the ND, but put them on the Rookie List. It happens past the point in the draft where a discount is relevant.

I think Moir will suprise many with a full pre season. I watched him closely one training session earlier in the year and he just glides across the groud. Will get games next season if fit.
I reckon we’ve got plenty of gliders around the club, but we need some spitfire/mustangs to zip in around them lol

I think there need to be some very, very honest conversations at the club about our prospects over the next, say, 2-3 years. We all assume that we should be contending, hell, winning premierships right now. We've got a bunch of elite players in the sweet spot for age and experience, enough at least to justify that assumption. But as others have rightly pointed out, the list profile on skillsets is imbalanced. Too many mids lacking a step of pace, they're all talented but as a collective they're prone to being outworked around the contest. Small forward cohort have had a few games where they absolutely pop off, but for 80% of the season they're lacking any meaningful impact. Backline is short a decent second KPD, and the guys we rely on for rebound are a touch on the injury-prone side. We're overstocked for developing rucks. We can't keep a versatile third tall forward on the park for more than a fortnight at any given time.

It's not to say we can't win games. Nor that we can't win a premiership. We've shown that our best footy can beat the best sides. But we've also seen that our "brand" is unsustainable for a season, and frankly in most cases it's unsustainable for four quarters, and so we're always going to be at the mercy of a timed form run.

Taking all that under consideration, we come to a fork in the road. Down one path, we see this group as being one or two key pieces away from a flag and then hopefully capable of carrying that on for another 4-5 years of top class footy. Down the other, a flag isn't out of the question, but our best chance lies in resetting the list over the next few years for the "modern" game, and try to cash in with a run of flags when our elite KPP's are in their 30s.

I think we could do a Melbourne. Chase a mature May type, get a bit lucky and have a massive year, peak at the right time and win a flag....then have the wheels fall off and watch as the group fractures and disillusionment sets in.

I think we should set our sights more firmly on the medium term. Draft and recruit with a view to having a more balanced best 22 in 2027. That means committing best 22 spots to guys like Wilson, Cowan, Kemp, Moir. It means deciding whether Kemp is a backman or forward or something else, and playing him in that role consistently. Deciding if Elijah Hollands is a starting forward and mid rotation, or an on-baller, and playing him in that role consistently. Deciding if Wilson is a HBF or an on-baller and playing him in that role consistently. Deciding if we're a one-ruck or two-ruck team, and if the latter whether that's a Pitto/TDK combination or a TDK/HOK combination. It means trading a few on-ballers to create opportunities for young blokes to step in and step up.

Love this playing group, they've genuinely come a long way. But that doesn't mean they're the best we could be. And if we go all-in on a flag in the next two seasons we could miss that goal and set ourselves back for the next 5-10 years.

Not a rebuild, but a reset. 2027 the deadline to be putting out a talented and experienced (enough) lineup to play modern footy, the kind where you can adapt your tempo based on the game, not hope that one quarter of blitzkrieg will generate enough of a lead that three quarters of being a punching bag won't give up the points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They have just changed the rules about this, and it's not entirely clear exactly how it works.
But roughly if there is no bid, you can pick them in the ND, but put them on the Rookie List. It happens past the point in the draft where a discount is relevant.
Thank you, that’s good info

I think Lucas could be overlooked by all clubs as they know we’ll definitely match a bid provided it’s outside of the 2nd round

Ben could go as high as 18

I think we can

Another reason I want some more early picks and am happy to trade future picks. If we had picks around 8 & 14 they would be safe and we would get good players. A pick inside 25 would probably be safe as well

May even use picks we get in 30s & 40s for names like Garcia or Wicks as examples

Then we stockpile points for the Twins

Many possibles but I think we have a great opportunity to fill a lot of spots
Really like the look of Sam Lalor for our first pick. Midfielder who kicks goals. Huge upside. https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_...ories-dustin-martin-shrug-powerful-midfielder

There's not a lot out there trade wise we could nab so we need to invest efforts looking for good foot soldier and potentials from clubs that are good to trade with and have excess in some areas.

Caleb Daniel - a little on the outer at the Dogs, 28 years old and may appreciate the security of a 3 year deal. Put him in his rightful spot on the field and he'd be handy.

Patrick Voss - Yes another tallish forward, but with Martin kaput, JSOS coming back from a knee and no decent support if one of Charlie or Harry go down like our KPD depth we need another prospect forward.

Wade Derksen - a decent KPD (or forward/ruck) prospect sitting with the GWS not getting a game, 23 years old now and just about grown into his body and ready to hit his straps.

Get the boys to spill some grape juice on their clothes, chew on one of those foaming capsules and then have a nap on someone prominant's front lawn for media exposure and we might nab them for 5th rounders.

Ben is really hard nosed, more like a Cripps or Serong - not super skilled or quick

I haven’t seen a ton of his footy however, someone else may know better

Lucas is less likely, he may even go as a rookie

Not a fan of his kicking from the footage I've seen but you are correct in that he seems to work hard and looks to have a body shape that will muscle up a bit.

Not a rebuild, but a reset. 2027 the deadline to be putting out a talented and experienced (enough) lineup to play modern footy, the kind where you can adapt your tempo based on the game, not hope that one quarter of blitzkrieg will generate enough of a lead that three quarters of being a punching bag won't give up the points.

Will 66 games be enough?
;)

Get the boys to spill some grape juice on their clothes, chew on one of those foaming capsules and then have a nap on someone prominant's front lawn for media exposure and we might nab them for 5th rounders.
Surprised this sort of stuff doesn't happen more often tbh especially in the age of social media

I think there need to be some very, very honest conversations at the club about our prospects over the next, say, 2-3 years. We all assume that we should be contending, hell, winning premierships right now. We've got a bunch of elite players in the sweet spot for age and experience, enough at least to justify that assumption. But as others have rightly pointed out, the list profile on skillsets is imbalanced. Too many mids lacking a step of pace, they're all talented but as a collective they're prone to being outworked around the contest. Small forward cohort have had a few games where they absolutely pop off, but for 80% of the season they're lacking any meaningful impact. Backline is short a decent second KPD, and the guys we rely on for rebound are a touch on the injury-prone side. We're overstocked for developing rucks. We can't keep a versatile third tall forward on the park for more than a fortnight at any given time.

It's not to say we can't win games. Nor that we can't win a premiership. We've shown that our best footy can beat the best sides. But we've also seen that our "brand" is unsustainable for a season, and frankly in most cases it's unsustainable for four quarters, and so we're always going to be at the mercy of a timed form run.

Taking all that under consideration, we come to a fork in the road. Down one path, we see this group as being one or two key pieces away from a flag and then hopefully capable of carrying that on for another 4-5 years of top class footy. Down the other, a flag isn't out of the question, but our best chance lies in resetting the list over the next few years for the "modern" game, and try to cash in with a run of flags when our elite KPP's are in their 30s.

I think we could do a Melbourne. Chase a mature May type, get a bit lucky and have a massive year, peak at the right time and win a flag....then have the wheels fall off and watch as the group fractures and disillusionment sets in.

I think we should set our sights more firmly on the medium term. Draft and recruit with a view to having a more balanced best 22 in 2027. That means committing best 22 spots to guys like Wilson, Cowan, Kemp, Moir. It means deciding whether Kemp is a backman or forward or something else, and playing him in that role consistently. Deciding if Elijah Hollands is a starting forward and mid rotation, or an on-baller, and playing him in that role consistently. Deciding if Wilson is a HBF or an on-baller and playing him in that role consistently. Deciding if we're a one-ruck or two-ruck team, and if the latter whether that's a Pitto/TDK combination or a TDK/HOK combination. It means trading a few on-ballers to create opportunities for young blokes to step in and step up.

Love this playing group, they've genuinely come a long way. But that doesn't mean they're the best we could be. And if we go all-in on a flag in the next two seasons we could miss that goal and set ourselves back for the next 5-10 years.

Here's a prediction - in much the same way that the players dropped their intensity when the coaches started making arrogant moves at selection, the bolder path you've outlined would trickle down to a more dynamic and fearless playing group that wouldn't actually drop off in the short term

At this stage that would seem to be incredibly unlucky.
Bids tend to come late, not early, and all the mail is that in this incredibly even draft, he's rated by most in the 30+ range.
Sorry, what I meant was I understood him to be rated as highly as 18th but I doubt a bid comes then - I agree

My understanding of his draft position may be a little dated too
Not a fan of his kicking from the footage I've seen but you are correct in that he seems to work hard and looks to have a body shape that will muscle up a bit.
Yeah! That is my understanding too, I really like him but I don’t think he’s silky per se. Would liken him most to Cripps of any other player.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Back