List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Our first pick will be lucky to be in the top 20 once all the academy picks come in.
Plus we just don't develop players. Nearly a decade worth of drafting has mostly just amounted to Walsh who came pre-developed.

I don't want another kid to play VFL for 5 years before being fobbed off on St Kilda / North, or given the mercy of being cut from the AFL completely.

Plus we just don't develop players. Nearly a decade worth of drafting has mostly just amounted to Walsh who came pre-developed.

I don't want another kid to play VFL for 5 years before being fobbed off on St Kilda / North, or given the mercy of being cut from the AFL completely.
Yeah our development of Cripps, Weitering, Curnow, McKay, Docherty, Newman, Kennedy, Fogarty, Boyd etc has really sucked!

We need a Meade type from Port Adelaide. Or a Jones type. Need for speed and skill.

Leek Alir, Jones and a Mead type would be incredible. Not saying we will get them but this is what we should be targeting.
Joe Berry is the best chance we have of one of those types of players. He may take a year or two to really start impacting games at a high level but he is as sure a thing as Nick Watson, Kozi Pickett, Cody Weightman imo.

Lightning fast, top level for pressure, lovely skills and just kicks goals every game he plays, consistently.

I can't see us being able to trade for one given how valuable they are once developed.

Yeah our development of Cripps, Weitering, Curnow, McKay, Docherty, Newman, Kennedy, Fogarty, Boyd etc has really sucked!
We traded in Docherty, Newman, Kennedy & Fogarty...

Cripps, Weitering, McKay & Curnow were drafting either over a decade ago or nearly a decade ago, which is why I said "nearly a decade".

Why not read the post first before replying? I understand the knee-jerk reaction to aggressively defend the club, but surely it's hard to argue we haven't wasted a lot of young potential since 2015.

We traded in Docherty, Newman, Kennedy & Fogarty...

Cripps, Weitering, McKay & Curnow were drafting either over a decade ago or nearly a decade ago, which is why I said "nearly a decade".

Why not read the post first before replying? I understand the knee-jerk reaction to aggressively defend the club, but surely it's hard to argue we haven't wasted a lot of young potential since 2015.
And we developed every single one of those players. Did they come in the players they are today? Most came in in their teen years to us

And we developed every single one of those players. Did they come in the players they are today? Most came in in their teen years to us
Newman was 26. Any other club could point to a player they've drafted and developed within the last couple of years, not going back to the 2013 draft and traded in 26 year olds to say they have good player developement.

The draft is wildly overrated gamble that I hope we never embark on again.

Youā€™ve got to be really shit for a really long time to accumulate enough players for 1/3 of them to turn into good footballers.

And then thereā€™s no guarantee that it amounts to anything.

Iā€™d rather we adopt the Geelong approach, never bother with early picks, endlessly top up with mature age talent, and be competitive every year.

Seems a lot more enjoyable than this rollercoaster weā€™ve been on for two decades.

If we're being aggressive, need to give up quality to get quality. Provided we can get something of genuine value back, I'd be open to trading:
  • Owies, had a great 2 years but has struggled in big games
  • McGovern, very talented but questionable mentally
  • Hewett - love him, but we have a surplus in this area. Banking on Cerra getting right, Eli and Kennedy playing more midfield minutes, Lord pushing for selection
  • McKay. Would need to be something exceptional. Could absolutely help us balance the list. Don't need two genuine star KPFs to win it these days, but we would need depth in case Charlie goes down.

Interesting article in herald sun re Petracca.

Theyā€™d obviously ask for Charlie or Harry BUT hypothetically could This work!

Cerra/Kemp and our first this year,next and the following.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm not in favour of selling the future for a 29yo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he was still 25 maybe. For his age the max I'd offer is Cerra and a future first, take it or leave it.

Let's give some credit to Austin and co - long way to go in their careers but Moir and Lord are really promising.

Binns can get there, and at worst is nice depth.
I am huge critic of Austin. I still think his total list management is flawed but at least there some light with drafting
It is early days and Lord, Binns and Moir's weaknesses have not been exposed
I have watched 5 VFL games and I could not predict the 3 could project into AFL this early
Their performance has blown my mind, just the fact that all 3 contributed, did not make the errors and took their moments.
There were times Binns and Moir were awful in the VFL
Supporters who are questioning why they did not play earlier. You can make the case for Binns but he looked out of his depth in his qtr against Collingwood, Lord was only drafted 3 months ago and Moir seemed so far off it in terms of fitness, application and output. Moir has a 2 qtr maximum afl tank, the future will test his mental application. The 30 minute cameos as a sub suits his current mindset and fitness levels

So if we are going for a mature kpp who would you take out of Nick Haynes or Sam Day

If he was still 25 maybe. For his age the max I'd offer is Cerra and a future first, take it or leave it.
They'd 100% leave that.

It also wouldn't work because the salary given up wouldn't match what's coming back.

Only way I can see it working for our salary cap is one of our big stars (McKay/Curnow/TDK - assuming we've got money stored away for a big deal for him).

I'm not against getting Petracca. I think he could help win us a flag. I'll back the club in if they decide to do it.

If we're being aggressive, need to give up quality to get quality. Provided we can get something of genuine value back, I'd be open to trading:
  • Owies, had a great 2 years but has struggled in big games
  • McGovern, very talented but questionable mentally
  • Hewett - love him, but we have a surplus in this area. Banking on Cerra getting right, Eli and Kennedy playing more midfield minutes, Lord pushing for selection
  • McKay. Would need to be something exceptional. Could absolutely help us balance the list. Don't need two genuine star KPFs to win it these days, but we would need depth in case Charlie goes down.

lolā€¦ good luck upgrading on these guns.

All required players and best 18.

Not sure why people are still advocating this, selling out so much for a player nearing 30, be very different conversation if he was 25, absolutely won't happen.

Not sure why people are still advocating this, selling out so much for a player nearing 30, be very different conversation if he was 25, absolutely won't happen.
Completely disagree.

We are in a win now mode. Petracca helps us do that. Whether he's 25 or 29, we need to win a premiership now while Cripps is still able to be the bull he is.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management Part 2 šŸ“ƒ

Remove this Banner Ad

Back