List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprising that people still believe this to be true

Neale saw more in Brissy than money, he has been proven right, we made finals once in the time he has left, he has challenged every year, made a GF and come away with 2x brownlow medals

Bells "Feather" was to dump a bag of money in Neale's lap, it didn't work, he had his eyes set on other things.
And he has won as many premierships as Fyfe in that time.

Neale saw more in Brissy than money, he has been proven right, we made finals once in the time he has left, he has challenged every year, made a GF and come away with 2x brownlow medals

Bells "Feather" was to dump a bag of money in Neale's lap, it didn't work, he had his eyes set on other things.
Shane Kersten says Hi 👋

And he still had a year to go on his contract.

We didnt have to trade him. It was a dumb move from Bell/Club.

We clearly had no confidence as a club we could to change his mind 12 months later.

Would Brisbane still be keen 12 months later they might have found another scalp somewhere else.

I think Tom Papley was out the door with the Swans but they refused and he ended up staying.

I would have rolled the dice with F/A if he left then so be it unless we were getting 2 x 1st Rounders

Freo (Motlop, Edwards), Melbourne (Mac Andrew) & West Coast (Collard) should all be going to the AFL for compensation for missing the opportunity to draft the Academy prospects due the knee-jerk decision to block access, only for that to be revoked in a year that Essendon stand to benefit.

Melbourne especially, Losing their Academy prospect to a team that was unaffected by the changes is disgusting.

Freo (Motlop, Edwards), Melbourne (Mac Andrew) & West Coast (Collard) should all be going to the AFL for compensation for missing the opportunity to draft the Academy prospects due the knee-jerk decision to block access, only for that to be revoked in a year that Essendon stand to benefit.

Melbourne especially, Losing their Academy prospect to a team that was unaffected by the changes is disgusting.

The Crows missed out in Izac Rankine as well. (Drafted the same year as Thomas for North, but SA and WA clubs did not get access to NGA players)

They don't care abou the non vic clubs

Very, very keen for the trade period to start. Have 100% confidence we'll bring in Bolton.
I want to be excited for trade period but I really really want us scraping into finals however we can. Feels a bit bleh if we cant get there

If that happens I'd be way more keen on trade period ending than starting tbh. It's going to be painful listening to all the rubbish until the trade is actually done which I assume will happen quite late.
I expect the tug-of-war trade for Bolton to last the whole trade period. Will make for an interesting roller-coaster of emotions

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Clarko going after an experienced leader

One Jaeger O'Meara coming right up

Pretty sure Neale was on particularly low money by the time the end of his contract was approaching.
You could say, well he signed it, but it goes a bit both ways - we could have approached his manager and said “Hey Lachie - you’re performing way above your pay grade, how about we restructure and extend your contract to factor in your improvement.” This is what we did with Treacy recently.

Back then Bell and co thought it was clever cap management to have players on way unders - not factoring the inevitable whispers in the ears from other clubs. But yeah, from all reports there was other cultural stuff at play around that time as well.

Last edited:
Signed in December 2022, so ink is pretty damn dry

People can negotiate their way out of contracts in the real world too

I don't see a massive problem with it as long as either
a) The club is compensated enough to let them go
b) If not, then the player stays and completes his contract

I don't see a situation where one of these aren't hit with Shai, we clearly have enough to compensate the tigers

Of course people can negotiate their way out of a contact. The point is we have an elite player leaving a rebuilding team to a contending team. It just seems very convenient that these family issues have arisen after:

1. It was reported that Bolton approached the Tigers for a trade and was rebuffed.
  2. It became quite apparent the Tigers were up for a significant rebuild.
Obviously if both parties are happy to call it quits, then no worries, everyone is a winner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I think the AFL and probably Australian sport in general and it's fans need to grow up a little bit.

Players getting transferred mid contract in most other major sports is just normal. It probably is in the AFL tbf but fans seem to think it shouldn't be. Why exactly?

Personally I think the AFL and probably Australian sport in general and it's fans need to grow up a little bit.

Players getting transferred mid contract in most other major sports is just normal. It probably is in the AFL tbf but fans seem to think it shouldn't be. Why exactly?
I get your sentiment, I think however there needs to be some maturation in how clubs manage trades as well. Having watched a bit of NBA trade periods (I am no expert mind you), it is a given that if you want a player of significant value the club trading for him has to give up something of commensurate value, whether it be several players on equivalent salaries and draft capital. It always seems there is a d*ck measuring contest where clubs try to 'win the trade' without being prepared to give up something of equivalent value.

As much as I’d love to draft some kids this year every fan is getting impatient as we see after every loss. No kid this year will help us win a flag in the next 2 years which every fan wants. Bolton and baker are our best chance at doing that and hopefully can add some depth guys like cumming

As much as I’d love to draft some kids this year every fan is getting impatient as we see after every loss. No kid this year will help us win a flag in the next 2 years which every fan wants. Bolton and baker are our best chance at doing that and hopefully can add some depth guys like cumming

We are in such a unique position, we have a squad that is good enough to be competing for a flag AND 3 first round draft picks. It would be such an incredible waste if we went to the draft with all 3.

Should add that the core of our squad are all super young, makes no sense not to be using the draft capital on trading in established players.

Last edited:

The only thing you need to ask is which decision will get us closer to a flag?

Which decision gives us the best chance of a sustained top 4 run?

Fan can be inpatient, list manager can't afford to be. They need to know the list back to front, and know when we are truly ready to top up and when we need to hit the draft.

With 4 top 25 picks, we can do some of each but I want us to use two top 25 picks this year in the draft. We will probably end up with 13 and a 1/2 wins this years, which is 7th to 8th most years.

PS - still in love with Winder. Who mentioned we were talking to people from South's ?? (Edit: Found it) Hopefully we are still taking to them.

Sherriff Incorporated - Do have any news?

Last edited:
Closer to a Flag?

If prime years of AFL footy are between twenty four and twenty nine then that's our window. Five years of career where our players perform their best, and overlapping as many of these players as we can will lead to best results.

Current squad profile has sixteen players between twenty four and under thirty, but this includes Hughes, Aish, McDonald, Corbett, Brodie and Reidy who aren't best twenty three players currently.

Players in that window are Alex Pearce, Luke Ryan, Sam Switkowski, Corey Wagner, Bailey Banfield, Sean Darcy, Brennan Cox, Andrew Brayshaw, Sam Sturt and Michael Frederick.

Next season we gain Jordan Clark, Caleb Serong, Hayden Young, Jeremy Sharp and Luke Jackson and don't lose any key players off the top end.

In 2026 we have Alex Pearce and Luke Ryan falling off the top end, with Pearce also out of contract. Josh Treacy, Heath Chapman and Nathan O'Driscoll coming into that window.

If you can draft players who will impact in the next two years, then that would be preferable.

Alternatively, trading for players who are ready to go in 2025 and 2026 and potentially onward if they also fit within the early part of the twenty four to twenty nine years old window would make our current group better.

Chad Warner enters the window in 2025.
Shai Bolton entered the window last season.
Liam Baker entered the window two seasons ago.

Players won't become consistent AFL players until they have around fifty games or four years on the list. Anyone drafted shouldn't be expected to be a reliable AFL player, outside of a small forward or a half back in my opinion.

If you're building your team around Alex Pearce then you have next year and the year after, maybe the year or two after that so securing any talent that can contribute for four seasons would fit the goal of a flag.

You've got a year of Fyfe left contracted. May as well hit 2025 hard.

Nup, it was all coin. His wife told my daughter several months earlier that they were going to Brisbane and it was for the big money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back