List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kersten went okay in his first season, but for some reason we decided we only need two key forwards with McCarthy and Kersten instead of running 3 talls with Taberner with them, I think they probably would have done okay.

We probably needed a second ruck option in the team and at the time Kersten, Taberner and whoever the second ruck was probably seemed like too many talls when tbh our smaller players were better.

We probably needed a second ruck option in the team and at the time Kersten, Taberner and whoever the second ruck was probably seemed like too many talls when tbh our smaller players were better.

Kersten's first season at Freo (2017):
Sandilands, Clarke, Darcy, Griffin, Apeness, Strnadica

2018:
Sandilands, Jones, Darcy, Apeness, Meek, Strnadica

2019:
Sandilands, Lobb, Jones, Darcy, Meek

Sign until 2030 and suddenly you’re back on the trade table apparently.

Are people forgetting that the reason they’re signed so long is because they’re really good players? And that maybe the reason we’re not getting the most of them this year is because they missed a good chunk of the past year recovering from injuries and surgery?

Only a matter of time before we’re trading out Treacy because of his injuries.
Also creates a strong impression that your contract means nothing to the club.

Also creates a strong impression that your contract means nothing to the club.
Long term contracts are designed for :

1) Stability to the player and the club
2) Ability to allow for up and coming TPP increases
3) Protect the club in the event that the player is traded out early so they get fair compensation (ie Barrass, Bolton)

Long term contracts are designed for :

1) Stability to the player and the club
2) Ability to allow for up and coming TPP increases
3) Protect the club in the event that the player is traded out early so they get fair compensation (ie Barrass, Bolton)

Sometimes the opposite of 3 happens if the player has underperformed. We’re not even close to therewith Darcy but just saying.

i just assumed they gave Tabs a farewell game last week for his years of service. Not sure why we are debating on whether he should have ever been drafted or played a game for Freo. We now have the most talented set of 3 tall forwards in our history and all around 21yo. Thanks Tabs, now enjoy retirement and take care of those discs in your back.

i just assumed they gave Tabs a farewell game last week for his years of service. Not sure why we are debating on whether he should have ever been drafted or played a game for Freo. We now have the most talented set of 3 tall forwards in our history and all around 21yo. Thanks Tabs, now enjoy retirement and take care of those discs in your back.
He was a transition KPF make no mistake but by cripes he gave us hope and something to cheer for in a rather bleak time. I still have my Tab on a Crab Carlton Draft shirt, he was a cult hero whilst we restumped, realised that was a croc and then properly rebuilt.

I hope he gets what he needs from the remainder of his career and retirement. Hopefully he can be a part of a Peel Premiership this season to cap off his career. If he continues on then I can absolutely see him working with Voss on his contested marking and giving him confidence by his own example that he can take the next step.

I'll take off my Freo hat for a moment. Bolton is taking the absolute piss with his upcoming trade request. 4 years still on his contract and he wants out? This isn't good for the competition in my opinion.
Also wasn’t the extension signed last year? Like he already had a young family and I’m sure would’ve taken into account growing his family sometime in the next 6 years. To then turn around and say you need family support when that was something you should have considered when signing the last contract is a big cop out.

Seems like there’s a lot of players signing these long term contracts and then wanting out. They don’t mean much these days

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll take off my Freo hat for a moment. Bolton is taking the absolute piss with his upcoming trade request. 4 years still on his contract and he wants out? This isn't good for the competition in my opinion.

Two children without your mum around to help, because your partner is a 24/7 athlete who needs to prioritize themselves, is really difficult. I understand why they would want to come home.

Two children without your mum around to help, because your partner is a 24/7 athlete who needs to prioritize themselves, is really difficult. I understand why they would want to come home.

So what? He entered into a legal contract and the ink is barely ****ing dry.

Imagine if Bolton had to work a 8-5 Monday to Friday job for minimum chips. I bet he'd find that real difficult.

You don't even need to earn Free Agency status anymore. Everyone is practically a FA now.

Imagine if Bolton had to work a 8-5 Monday to Friday job for minimum chips. I bet he'd find that real difficult.

You don't even need to earn Free Agency status anymore. Everyone is practically a FA now.

Do you think Richmond will let him go? Is it possible that Richmond list management let it be known that they wanted to rebuild pretty hard before they run out of opportunity as Tasmania and AFL20 take all the talent?

It's not like Richmond can come out early in a new coach's career and tell their members not to bother showing up.

Club can always make him stay.
It’s been done before: Papley, Luke Parker spring to mind.

I also think Richmond are quite aware of where they are, and bringing guys through at the same time like we and Hawthorn have done is quite handy.

They will be willing participants to this not anguished bystanders

I think there's way more egregious examples of players requesting trades. 4 years in contract is never really a good look, but it's the right trade for Richmond to do anyways, Shai probably signed that contract assuming that Richmond were gonna be contending (Richmond clearly thought they were gonna contend with the Taranto + Hopper deals) and I guess a fair amount can change in 2 years family-wise (though there will probably be skepticism on Shai's true motives). Plus, clubs have been treating these long-term contracts like they're cancel any time for years (notably Collingwood with their salary cap stuff), so if players do it too I'm not hugely fussed.

I find it crazier when players sign their deals knowing what's up and when circumstances don't really change, they reneg and potentially screw their club over. Especially when it just tears up previously safe assumptions, particularly when it comes to draftees. JHF is probably the biggest example: a #1 pick leaving because the garbage Vic club that finished last to get the pick for him...turned out to be a garbage Vic club? I think unless draftees are having a harder time than expected breaking into a team, they should stay at their club until the end of their 1st non-rookie deal at minimum.

Or when players sign deals and then moan about being underpaid and so they **** off to Brisbane. Allegedly. Blame your manager, not the club.

Signed in December 2022, so ink is pretty damn dry

People can negotiate their way out of contracts in the real world too

I don't see a massive problem with it as long as either
a) The club is compensated enough to let them go
b) If not, then the player stays and completes his contract

I don't see a situation where one of these aren't hit with Shai, we clearly have enough to compensate the tigers

Or Bolton's partner is an absolute weapon who's got their parenting locked down and doesn't need parents to help them, but they still want their kids to have a good relationship with their grandparents.

(Making a concentrated effort here to celebrate Mums coz hot damn they take on a massive mental load)

Or when players sign deals and then moan about being underpaid and so they **** off to Brisbane. Allegedly. Blame your manager, not the club.
Surprising that people still believe this to be true

Neale saw more in Brissy than money, he has been proven right, we made finals once in the time he has left, he has challenged every year, made a GF and come away with 2x brownlow medals

Bells "Feather" was to dump a bag of money in Neale's lap, it didn't work, he had his eyes set on other things.

Signed in December 2022, so ink is pretty damn dry

People can negotiate their way out of contracts in the real world too

I don't see a massive problem with it as long as either
a) The club is compensated enough to let them go
b) If not, then the player stays and completes his contract

I don't see a situation where one of these aren't hit with Shai, we clearly have enough to compensate the tigers
I'd also add you shouldn't be able to trade your way out of a front-ended deal once the front-end years have passed (which isn't the case here). Like I'd want the AFL to pass a trade rule that goes something along the lines of "if your contract is more than X% front-ended and you try to trade your way out of the lesser paying years, you can't get paid more than that for those years once you're traded."

I'd also add you shouldn't be able to trade your way out of a front-ended deal once the front-end years have passed (which isn't the case here). Like I'd want the AFL to pass a trade rule that goes something along the lines of "if your contract is more than X% front-ended and you try to trade your way out of the lesser paying years, you can't get paid more than that for those years once you're traded."
Serong and Young are here because they rightly held Brad Hill to a high value as he was effectively doing what you're saying, swings and roundabouts really if you can make it work

I think you just factor it into the compensation

If a club has a player tied up on the cheap due to front paying, then a club should pay more to extract them as the club losing the player can't just walk out and buy a replacement at that lower price

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back