List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone watch today’s game and think we don’t need more midfield depth? That’s where the game was won and lost.

And no I’m not saying it’s more important than adding small forwards but having Brayshaw, Serong and Young isn’t enough.
I'm going to have to reassess my opinion that Longmire is in the top 3 coaches in the league.
2022 GF, plays an injured tall forward, gets smashed on the inside and does nothing to fix it besides move Parker on ball too late
2024 plays an injured tall forward, gets smashed on the inside and does nothing to fix it besides move Parker on ball too late.

He got VFLed in 2016 by the umps but that's two shockers he's had

Freo and Sacramento Kings...purple is cool but you gotta put a cap on how much you're willing to hurt yourself (and let umpires hurt you).
It's all good.

I've seen one of my professional teams win a GF (Melb City, been a member 10+ years) so it's not all doom and gloom

I'm going to have to reassess my opinion that Longmire is in the top 3 coaches in the league.
2022 GF, plays an injured tall forward, gets smashed on the inside and does nothing to fix it besides move Parker on ball too late
2024 plays an injured tall forward, gets smashed on the inside and does nothing to fix it besides move Parker on ball too late.

Honestly just thought Sydney was the second best team even on paper in 2014 and 2022 tbh and before today 2016 was the sole Grand Final they should’ve won.

In hindsight though don’t know how I thought Sydney were the better side than Brisbane. Now what’s happened has happened I think I was wrong.

Playing McDonald, who was clearly injured from the start, was a disaster. Anyone who’s blaming McDonald for that needs to get a clue - it’s 100% on their match committee. Without McDonald firing both Amartey and McLean look as useless as they truly are.

There’s at least 2-3 players in Sydney’s team that shouldn’t be playing in a Grand Final as well and at least 10-12 that are decent or good players but let themselves down today. It was a train wreck.

Almost hope we play against a Longmire coached side next time we play in a Grand Final after watching that.

Then who's gonna stalk their socials to see how many Father Sons and Father Daughters we might be eligible for :D
Alright so if anyone's interested - There are 52 players who have played 100+ games for us. I've counted 25 of those who have at least one son. There's a further 8 who I'm unsure of. To my knowledge, there are 9 that are old enough to have qualified for f/s in the past.

There are three 17 year olds (McManus, JL, Headland) though none of them are in the mix for f/s.

Alright so if anyone's interested - There are 52 players who have played 100+ games for us. I've counted 25 of those who have at least one son. There's a further 8 who I'm unsure of. To my knowledge, there are 9 that are old enough to have qualified for f/s in the past.

There are three 17 year olds (McManus, JL, Headland) though none of them are in the mix for f/s.

The amount of father sons and academy selections for Brisbane would be almost a third of their side I reckon.

Andrews, Hipwood and Payne are all academy, whilst Daniher was a free agent - they basically got 4/5 best talls for absolutely nothing and it’s not like they just nailed late picks to do it.

We’ve had one father son - Brett Peake in 2003 - ****ing 21 years ago.

Walker and now Draper are the only academy selections we’ve had that are decent and didn’t screw us both on the way in and way out.

We’ve had one free agent signing in the last ten years and haven’t lost a free agent since Mayne so the AFL’s sh**e formula couldn’t get us a top pick for a sh**e player.

Look at the w**kers down the road and they’re quite similar except they’ve recruited one or two free agents extra but they’ve all been pretty average players.

To sum all that up clubs are getting advantages we don’t but that’s not something we didn’t know. If we win we’ve really earned it - I don’t think it’s impossible with this group if we develop some younger players well and add the right missing pieces.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly just thought Sydney was the second best team even on paper in 2014 and 2022 tbh and before today 2016 was the sole Grand Final they should’ve won.

In hindsight though don’t know how I thought Sydney were the better side than Brisbane. Now what’s happened has happened I think I was wrong.

Playing McDonald, who was clearly injured from the start, was a disaster. Anyone who’s blaming McDonald for that needs to get a clue - it’s 100% on their match committee. Without McDonald firing both Amartey and McLean look as useless as they truly are.

There’s at least 2-3 players in Sydney’s team that shouldn’t be playing in a Grand Final as well and at least 10-12 that are decent or good players but let themselves down today. It was a train wreck.

Almost hope we play against a Longmire coached side next time we play in a Grand Final after watching that.
Don't see them as even top 4 next year.

Warner is a damn good player but a downhill skier. The only games where he imposed himself on the contest were against the Giants and the Bulldogs. Adding him to our midfield would improve us offensively but weaken us defensively. I would definitely prioritise Pickett over Warner unless he can become a more rounded midfielder. Champion players don't run one way.

On the other hand Zorko proved today the importance of having a tough and clean defender to rebound with. He was instrumental in their ball movement off half back. If we can make Baker happen we should.

Such a poor Game Day coach.

Parker is too good to be up forward.

McDonald. Have to argue he’s not worth a top 5 pick.

Warner is a damn good player but a downhill skier. The only games where he imposed himself on the contest were against the Giants and the Bulldogs. Adding him to our midfield would improve us offensively but weaken us defensively. I would definitely prioritise Pickett over Warner unless he can become a more rounded midfielder. Champion players don't run one way.

On the other hand Zorko proved today the importance of having a tough and clean defender to rebound with. He was instrumental in their ball movement off half back. If we can make Baker happen we should.

What about the GF 2 years ago?

Warner is a gun, but we need an offensive minded mid. Young is getting there. Serong and Brayshaw can do the two way running.

Warner would be a brilliant complement to our side. He’s pretty bloody good for the Swans but their midfield were just obliterated.

Rarely do Brayshaw, Young and Serong get beaten. Add Warner to that? Oh my goodness.

Zorko is a strange one in way. The move happened out of necessity when Coleman got injured. Credit where credit’s due - they’ve got quite a bit out someone who looked as cooked as Fyfe and Walters do by changing his role.

Got to say looking at Brisbane’s emergencies I don’t think our depth is actually too far off theirs - five pretty good players out (McInerney, Coleman, Doedee, McCarthy, Gardiner) but there really isn’t much left after those guys imo. Reville showed a bit this year but after their emergencies I don’t really see much. There’s guys like Lyons who were good two years ago but haven’t offered much for a bit now and a bunch of youngsters barely tried at AFL level but are likely inferior to our blokes in a similar spot. Feel like they’ll need to recruit well to back this up - if rumours about Daniher are true he’s a massive loss. Can see players like Zorko and Lester having second thoughts about playing next year too.

Last edited:
What about the GF 2 years ago?

Warner is a gun, but we need an offensive minded mid. Young is getting there. Serong and Brayshaw can do the two way running.

Warner would be a brilliant complement to our side. He’s pretty bloody good for the Swans but their midfield were just obliterated.

Rarely do Brayshaw, Young and Serong get beaten. Add Warner to that? Oh my goodness.
Sydney got beaten by 81 points in that game lol. Warner got his 2 goals and 12 disposals in the last quarter when Geelong took their foot off the pedal. Still a top 20 AFL player but Pickett is a much better fit.

Sydney got beaten by 81 points in that game lol. Warner got his 2 goals and 12 disposals in the last quarter when Geelong took their foot off the pedal. Still a top 20 AFL player but Pickett is a much better fit.
He also helped pull Sydney out of the fire against GWS just a few weeks ago.

Fair.
I just hope there’s some additions this off season. Bolton minimum would be great but there’s been other links and any more of Baker, Pickett or Chad would be monumental.

I actually want to get another look at Johnson, Erasmus and NOD next year but I’ve got the feeling you’re right, especially if our forward pressure stays as bad as it is. Pickett would add a gun small forward but also an impact player in the midfield when required. Bolton will probably on our list by then so that’s two of them. If you’re okay with a half forward that doesn’t kick many goals but does everything else really well then Switta makes it three.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back