List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Cooper Simpson says hi. šŸ‘‹

One thing I havenā€™t read on the last 12,000 posts is what this guy might become. Is he another Bolton or Sonny? Probably not. But those guys donā€™t grow on trees. Super cooperā€™s got potential to be another solid contributor. Maybe we get either Pickett or Bolton but not both. Could cooper take the next step in year two?

Given 2024 we looked a decent side. I think weā€™re top 4 picking Mannagh instead of Simpson. With hindsight we grab that mature player. I donā€™t mind Simpson, but weā€™re probably entering 2026 when heā€™s truly contributing. He needs a big offseason. Hopefully he can rocket into the best 22.

Given its the Dees who told him to look around this is likely just posturing from the Dees re Oliver.

Letting Geelong know their plan of offering a second rounder or two isn't going to fly

Last edited:
Given 2024 we looked a decent side. I think weā€™re top 4 picking Mannagh instead of Simpson. With hindsight we grab that mature player. I donā€™t mind Simpson, but weā€™re probably entering 2026 when heā€™s truly contributing. He needs a big offseason. Hopefully he can rocket into the best 22.

I would love for us to target a mature ager, with our picks after 27.

I think it makes so much sense for any club looking to contend.

I also don't understand on the decision to keep potentially offer Emmett a rookie spot. I think their are better 2nd tier player available.

One thing I havenā€™t read on the last 12,000 posts is what this guy might become. Is he another Bolton or Sonny? Probably not. But those guys donā€™t grow on trees. Super cooperā€™s got potential to be another solid contributor. Maybe we get either Pickett or Bolton but not both. Could cooper take the next step in year two?

Despite my posts on him towards the end of the season, he oozes class. He could certainly be a low possession high impact player at AFL.

The thing is weā€™re in that awkward phase of beginning to ā€˜contendā€™ so, opportunities are limited.

Heā€™s a pick 36 when all is said and done, we need to set expectations accordingly.

While we may get lucky with him, itā€™s not a good strategy to just assume he will become a star.
The most likely outcome is that he will become a solid role player. That would be a decent result.

I thought he showed some promising flashes at peel but had a long long way to go yet.

The best strategy for freo is to assume he will produce average or par for what a pick 36 will, and that means we need to recruit more talent in the half forward/small forward position with earlier draft picks.
That can be a combination of Bolton via trade, and ideally pick 10 and 27 also used on small or medium forwards.

The ball is then back in coopers court - if heā€™s good enough to beat out those guys for a spot (along with existing B22 players like Frederick and Switta) then good for him.

If he turns out to be a bust, well then at least we havenā€™t put all our eggs in his basket.
Same applies for Jack Delean but I reckon heā€™s further away TBH.

At the end of the day there is only 22/23 places on the team and if you arenā€™t good enough youā€™ll be moved past fairly quickly.

As a member and a fan thatā€™s exactly what I want, unsentimental, hard competition for places to drive higher standards and performance and ultimately team success.

I reckon heā€™s probably the only voice of reason.

Highly doubtful, the captain has allowed the standards to drop so far and players to turn on each other. Angus Brayshaw was probably the leader and voice you are looking for, no coincidence the wheels fell right off when he left the club. Think about how much of a leader Andrew is for Fremantle and what our culture would be like without him and Caleb. Gawn and Goodwin are thick as thieves.

Heā€™s a pick 36 when all is said and done, we need to set expectations accordingly.

While we may get lucky with him, itā€™s not a good strategy to just assume he will become a star.
The most likely outcome is that he will become a solid role player. That would be a decent result.

I thought he showed some promising flashes at peel but had a long long way to go yet.

The best strategy for freo is to assume he will produce average or par for what a pick 36 will, and that means we need to recruit more talent in the half forward/small forward position with earlier draft picks.
That can be a combination of Bolton via trade, and ideally pick 10 and 27 also used on small or medium forwards.

The ball is then back in coopers court - if heā€™s good enough to beat out those guys for a spot (along with existing B22 players like Frederick and Switta) then good for him.

If he turns out to be a bust, well then at least we havenā€™t put all our eggs in his basket.

At the end of the day there is only 22/23 places on the team and if you arenā€™t good enough youā€™ll be moved past fairly quickly.

As a member and a fan thatā€™s exactly what I want, unsentimental, hard competition for places to drive higher standards and performance and ultimately team success.

Cooper Simpson should be trialled at Peel as a running half back to start 2025, I can see him turning into a Daniel Rioli type from the back half.

If I was Oliver, I would get absolutely poleaxed at the BnF. A total no ****s given type of night.
I think thereā€™s enough photos and gossip about him by now. He is 2nd rounder territory. Peter Bell was dumb enough to think Hogan was pick 50 odd after his off field stuff..they are probably in the same bracket at this point. Just shows you why Bell was fired from his position.

A few in our front half were very low selections.
Yes, curb expectations, but weā€™ve all seen his class.
Whatā€™s the knock on him? He doesnā€™t get enough of it.
No one says stuff like ā€˜he canā€™t kick. He lacks vision. Heā€™s too slowā€™

He has great attributes, but he just doesnā€™t touch it enough.

This is why I raised the concern at the back end of the WAFL season. He was getting 6 touches a game. Why? Is he running completely poor patterns? Are his teammates ignoring him? (This is what many were saying - I donā€™t buy that)

Perhaps heā€™s the sort of player that would play better with class around him, but I also donā€™t buy that. 6 touches a game for about 5-6 weeks?

Heā€™s certainly one to keep watching. Whenever I watch him and he gets it, you just think ā€˜Man this guy is classā€™ then you can literally not see him on screen for over a quarter.

I think thereā€™s enough photos and gossip about him by now. He is 2nd rounder territory. Peter Bell was dumb enough to think Hogan was pick 50 odd after his off field stuff..they are probably in the same bracket at this point. Just shows you why Bell was fired from his position.
Have a look at the Hogan video in the Former Players thread. There were no other takers even for no picks at all...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paperwork lodged for Tom Campbell as a DFA.

Walls has a good record with these kind of picks.

Think get another pre season into Simpson he will only get better.

I still hold out hope for Delean too. I think he could pop.
Only have to look at how far someone like Draper come in 12 months.
Takes times to get use of everything.
Delean played league SANFL at 17 he definitely has enough talent hopefully it clicks over summer

Delean played league SANFL at 17 he definitely has enough talent hopefully it clicks over summer
He would bloody want to

Reason for disliking the thought of Simpson moving to a half back role to start 2025? Surely it would be a good way to at least get him more of the football in the WAFL, worst case he gets moved back to the high half forward role. Genuinely interested in your thoughts.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back