List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

What is the maximum (walk away point) you would pay for Bolton.

• 9 OR 10

Votes: 13 7.5%
  • 9 & 25

Votes: 33 19.0%
  • 9 & 17

Votes: 85 48.9%
  • 9 & F1

Votes: 18 10.3%
  • 9 & 10

Votes: 22 12.6%
  • 9, 10 & 17

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
we've been unusually lucky with injuries this season, and haven't needed these top up players

We’ve used 33 players this season compared to 36 for the whole year last year.

Let’s look at the twelve players we haven’t used:
  • Corbett - been listed as ‘season’ all year
  • Kuek - as above
  • NOD - Has he even played any footy since pre season?
  • Stanley - Not far behind NOD in terms of unavailability
  • Williams - Second year Category B rookie that’s got talent but would be knocked over by a gust of wind. Injuries haven’t helped.
  • Reidy - Ruck we haven’t had room in the team for but named emergency most weeks.
  • Knobel - Second year ruck that needs more time.
  • Davies - Second year KPD who’s probably been one injury away for weeks.
  • Murphy - first year player
  • Delean - first year player
  • Jones - first year player who’s been injured/concussed a lot.
  • Brodie - 26 year old inside mid who can’t play elsewhere and hasn’t been an emergency all year.

Don’t know about anyone else but to me one of those players really stands out.

JL hasn’t shown the first sign of wanting to pick Brodie. I think he’d pick Erasmus if we needed another inside mid in the team but last weekend he picked an extra forward instead of replacing Johnson with an inside mid and it worked quite well. Don’t see where Brodie’s next game is coming from - feels like we’d need one of the longest injury lists in the AFL for him to get a look in.

Think our list is better off without next year tbh. Allows us to use all our useful draft picks and retain other players that play roles where the depth is actually required.

We’ve used 33 players this season compared to 36 for the whole year last year.

Let’s look at the twelve players we haven’t used:
  • Corbett - been listed as ‘season’ all year
  • Kuek - as above
  • NOD - Has he even played any footy since pre season?
  • Stanley - Not far behind NOD in terms of unavailability
  • Williams - Second year Category B rookie that’s got talent but would be knocked over by a gust of wind. Injuries haven’t helped.
  • Reidy - Ruck we haven’t had room in the team for but named emergency most weeks.
  • Knobel - Second year ruck that needs more time.
  • Davies - Second year KPD who’s probably been one injury away for weeks.
  • Murphy - first year player
  • Delean - first year player
  • Jones - first year player who’s been injured/concussed a lot.
  • Brodie - 26 year old inside mid who can’t play elsewhere and hasn’t been an emergency all year.

Don’t know about anyone else but to me one of those players really stands out.

JL hasn’t shown the first sign of wanting to pick Brodie. I think he’d pick Erasmus if we needed another inside mid in the team but last weekend he picked an extra forward instead of replacing Johnson with an inside mid and it worked quite well. Don’t see where Brodie’s next game is coming from - feels like we’d need one of the longest injury lists in the AFL for him to get a look in.

Think our list is better off without next year tbh. Allows us to use all our useful draft picks and retain other players that play roles where the depth is actually required.
it's a good problem to have when you look at the injury lists for other clubs

4 picks in the top 25 as things stand. Trade the middle 1st for someones F1 and gamble they drop.

last 1st round for baker.

I see no real need to fill holes in the team apart from a small forward.

Yep agree with this. Brodie will likely be moved on. Probably a fourth round pick. A Melbourne club like North could be beneficial for both parties. If we can’t ship him off then he will likely be another Blakely - Delisted and moved to Rookie list.

If one area of North’s list is strong it’s their midfield.

Richmond (steak knives in Baker trade?) or St Kilda might be a better fit, as could be far better sides that lack a big bodied inside mid.

Most likely scenario is we place him on the trade table and no one takes the bait. Like Blakely he’ll only play if we’re really hit by injuries. Looks like he’s our eighth best inside mid in JL’s eyes atm and JL has signalled his intent to play one less inside mid on occasions.

4 picks in the top 25 as things stand. Trade the middle 1st for someones F1 and gamble they drop.

Good idea to continually turn over the list imo.

I might be in the minority but I wouldn’t mind the club strengthening at half back. Might not look like we need it now but Aish is 30 next year and Wagner isn’t far behind him. Having someone with 2-3 years development to come in a few years down the track would be useful. The player I’d suggest wouldn’t be switching WAFL sides if we drafted him - really liked the look of Allan but it seems more draft watchers are starting to come around.

Last edited:
Most likely scenario is we place him on the trade table and no one takes the bait.
I think if we put Brodie on the trade table (and we should), someone takes the bait. He got 11 Brownlow votes in 2022 and was 1 of the best contested ball winners in the league. There's a team which will take a fly on that (the 2 you mentioned for starters should be interested).

Brodie is contracted for another 2 years, he's not being delisted lol. We will probably keep him for one more year after this one, if he doesn't break into the team next year he might be moved on

Brodie is contracted for another 2 years, he's not being delisted lol. We will probably keep him for one more year after this one, if he doesn't break into the team next year he might be moved on
I feel like he is our security in case Fyfe gets injured or needs a break - he's looking pretty fit at Peel

No one has said that. It was suggested that he rot on the rookie list like Blakely did. That’s the closest we’ve come to suggesting delisting him.

The discussion has been around potentially trading him for a useless draft pick - something I and a few other posters seem to think is worth looking at. He’s too far down the pecking order for me and I’d rather keep others on the list.

Last edited:

I believe we need 2 good small forwards this year. Taking 3 would give depth

Why trade for a future pick? Unless it is a big upgrade and we get a 2nd as well.

Walters will be slower next year v

I’d rather keep Brodie as insurance given we seem to be just going into our window. He is good enough to be the difference to not drop games in a pinch.

Fyfe surely no more than one year left, then it’s just Ras who is ready to go inside. So one injury away from playing kids in a role which very few kids can do well early.

Even if we get Warner, I’d still have Brodie there as cover. He also puts pressure on the b22 mids to play well, I doubt the players in the team feel like they can cruise with Brodie at Peel.

If a Nod or Stanley gets some continuity and look like they could play inside that may change, but that’s not where we are today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have seen a few comments saying Erasmus is the Fyfe replacement.
No offence to Ras but it’s a bit like saying Matt Taberner would have been a good Buddy Franklin replacement.
Not peak Fyfe, current Fyfe. That role Fyfe is doing Ras could do well already I suspect.

Not peak Fyfe, current Fyfe. That role Fyfe is doing Ras could do well already I suspect.
Replacing the current iterations of Fyfe and Walters should not really be coming into our list management thinking, which should have a much more long term angle to it.
The question that should be asked of Erasmus is can he play 200 games of high quality AFL footy for us between now and 2034. That’s what we should expect from a top 10 draft pick aged 20.

Replacing the current iterations of Fyfe and Walters should not really be coming into our list management thinking, which should have a much more long term angle to it.
The question that should be asked of Erasmus is can he play 200 games of high quality AFL footy for us between now and 2034. That’s what we should expect from a top 10 draft pick aged 20.
I don't see any reason why not.

The old “putting off contract talks for role players” approach again.
Snuffaluphagus was onto this quite early this season from memory. Recent history says freo drive a hard bargain with players like Banfield that are mid career, role players who would not be paid at the elite level. See Blake Acres.
They must be preserving money for a big fish.

I believe we need 2 good small forwards this year. Taking 3 would give depth

Why trade for a future pick? Unless it is a big upgrade and we get a 2nd as well.

Walters will be slower next year v

Think that Emmett and Sturt would be fine as depth tbh. It’s not like many other clubs have first round draft pick small forwards running around in the state leagues. I’m certainly fine with waiting a year to add another small forward. Maybe rookie draft, SSP or 2025 MSD if we have the space to use that method.

Honestly think the other two picks should be used to either improve other areas of the best 22 (i.e. trading for Liam Baker) or drafting players we might need in 2-3 years time rather than now. The latter is what we normally do (see all the KPDs we’ve drafted) - we’ve just continually overlooked small forwards for some reason.

Remember when I asked how people felt about Banfield getting three years?
It doesn’t matter a damn what we feel.
It’s what the list manager at the club feels is what matters. Blake acres found that out the hard way.

The reality is a lot of players are signed relatively long term at freo and there is probably a limit to the amount we can extend to 2027 and beyond now. Four draft picks inside 24 means there will be some reasonable list turnover again at the end of the season. (Minimum 6 or 7 players to be moved on in some shape or form I reckon).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back