Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree but short of a surprise exit I can’t see how he stays.

We have those four picks and need to have five exits to use them. The first one of those picks we trade for a player a reckon we just use three picks but I doubt we use less than three.

Delisting too many players isn’t a reason for having less depth. We’ve delisted **** all recently. Players being traded out and pushing good picks into the future is why depth isn’t as good as it could be.

Still think our depth is okay in most places bar ruck (I want to see Reidy yo confirm this) and small forwards but it’s keeping younger players nearly best 22 and drafting well that’ll improve it. Using Taberner and Worner last weekend wasn’t a good look for depth. With Worner especially there was 5-6 better options.
You could have that difficult conversation and suggest a few pull the pin.
Tabs, Hughes, Walters and Fyfe, realistically shouldn’t be best22 in 2025.
Who is the player moving back to Victoria?
There’s 5 right there. You put S Mitchell at Freo and the first cut would be JOM.

You could have that difficult conversation and suggest a few pull the pin.
Tabs, Hughes, Walters and Fyfe, realistically shouldn’t be best22 in 2025.
Who is the player moving back to Victoria?
There’s 5 right there. You put S Mitchell at Freo and the first cut would be JOM.
I'm sorry but that's a rubbish call on JOM. Clubs don't pay out two years of contract unless off field issues are involved. I doubt you could find one example let alone an example of Sam Mitchell doing it.

Similarly the club won't talk Walters and/or Fyfe into retirement unless they're the ones starting the conversation.

You're clutching at straws to try keep players that haven't shown anything.

I very much think Hughes, Taberner, Corbett and Kuek are gone. Stanley is that guy we might keep if there's a trade out we don't know about. In reality though I actually think it's more likely we see more delisted than I've said rather than less.

I'm sorry but that's a rubbish call on JOM. Clubs don't pay out two years of contract unless off field issues are involved. I doubt you could find one example let alone an example of Sam Mitchell doing it.

Similarly the club won't talk Walters and/or Fyfe into retirement unless they're the ones starting the conversation.

I very much think Hughes, Taberner, Corbett and Kuek are gone. Stanley is that guy we might keep if there's a trade out we don't know about. In reality though I actually think it's more likely we see more delisted than I've said rather than less.
You do exactly what they did to Brodie, play him at Peel and hope someone comes calling, or the difficult conversation.
Hamling is another example of depth player, best scenario is Sydney came calling.
Zero match payments, and hopefully Peel performances make a case for interest.

You do exactly what they did to Brodie, play him at Peel and hope someone comes calling, or the difficult conversation.
Hamling is another example of depth player, best scenario is Sydney came calling.
Zero match payments, and hopefully Peel performances make a case for interest.
Hamling was a free agent and the KPD market was beyond the point of desperation for some clubs. Bet Sydney are loving that move atm.

For once we weren't generous with the contract and tbh I don't think we're missing him at all. All it's done is get more games into what looks like a very good young KPD.

If you want to win flags, you don’t cut many players.
The list turnover at Fremantle since 2018 has been huge.

Would rather watch Kuek, Voss, Reidy develop as depth and add another dimension.
Stanley has been solid. Rather keep him, but instead may get delisted and duds such as JOM get to stick around
You are conflating best 22 established AFL players leaving with guys that are not good enough for this level.

You don’t keep Stefan Giro around for an extra season just because bradley hill left the club.

You shouldnt give Karl Worner an extra year because Lachie Schultz left the club.

Kuek is heading for his 4th year on the list next season if they keep him around. I know he’s been injured but at no point has he looked remotely close to playing a game of AFL footy, let alone becoming an established player at the top level. He turns 24 years old in a couple of months, the same draft class as Sam Sturt, Ben king, Sam Walsh, butters etc. I.e. not a kid anymore. It’s nothing against Sebit but at some point the opportunity cost of keeping guys like this on the list starts to become too much?

You can apply this same logic to Corbett. Nice guy and all but he’s 100% delist material if we are actually a serious football club.

Even more so this year. We have been all year listening to list managers telling us that the depth of quality players in the upcoming draft is almost unprecedented and indeed kinnear beatson of Sydney said that several players drafted in the upcoming rookie draft will go on to have long AFL careers.

So we need to clear the fringe players off the list and take 4 or 5 new guys in this draft. Otherwise we will be very quickly in a hole in a few years time. We have already missed out on two full drafts effectively.

Oh My God Omg GIF by The Office

He's coming.

Meek isn’t that slow. His willingness to attack the deck once the ball hits the ground, is a big asset.

I’ll give you this:
Since Meek traded end of 2022:

Meek - 33 games (out of possible 44)- 898 hitouts

Darcy - 27 games - 961 hit outs.

Is Darcy really that better? Hard to say.
Yes Darcy is better, he is a Doig medalist. Injuries happen and no preseason is a factor.

The last time we traded a currently better player to give opportunity was Acres so we could play Henry. It didn’t work out since we lost both and Acres had been playing good footy at Carlton.

Not sure why people expect us to make more stupid decisions when even with hindsight, it doesn’t make sense.

Maybe if Darcy wasn’t injured against the Hawks or we played Reidy instead it would have seem fine.

You are conflating best 22 established AFL players leaving with guys that are not good enough for this level.

You don’t keep Stefan Giro around for an extra season just because bradley hill left the club.

You shouldnt give Karl Worner an extra year because Lachie Schultz left the club.

Kuek is heading for his 4th year on the list next season if they keep him around. I know he’s been injured but at no point has he looked remotely close to playing a game of AFL footy, let alone becoming an established player at the top level. He turns 24 years old in a couple of months, the same draft class as Sam Sturt, Ben king, Sam Walsh, butters etc. I.e. not a kid anymore. It’s nothing against Sebit but at some point the opportunity cost of keeping guys like this on the list starts to become too much?

You can apply this same logic to Corbett. Nice guy and all but he’s 100% delist material if we are actually a serious football club.

Even more so this year. We have been all year listening to list managers telling us that the depth of quality players in the upcoming draft is almost unprecedented and indeed kinnear beatson of Sydney said that several players drafted in the upcoming rookie draft will go on to have long AFL careers.

So we need to clear the fringe players off the list and take 4 or 5 new guys in this draft. Otherwise we will be very quickly in a hole in a few years time. We have already missed out on two full drafts effectively.
Yep - four players delisted from the senior list to comply with AFL rules (this could include guys we re-rookie).

Five players delisted to use our four top 25 picks.

Five or more we trade in more players than we trade out.

I'm all for keeping the top 30 players on our list together and trying to add to that through trade. Draft picks hopefully add to that in 2-3 years time but if it's earlier it's just a bonus.

Delist / trade: Corbett, Kuek, Stanley, Taberner, Hughes, Williams

I’d probably move Delean to the rookie list.

Does anyone have an up to date understanding of who’s on the main list, who’s rookie listed?

I know Voss replaced one of our long term injured players, either Corbett or Kuek… does that mean he’s taking up a main list spot?

I think we will turn over 7 or 8 players this off season between trading and delisting. In recent seasons we have been below the average list turnover for the AFL. I think it was 5 or 6 guys last season.

For what it’s worth this is what I think will happen:
Delist
  • Hughes
  • Kuek
  • Corbett
  • Taberner
  • Stanley
  • Williams

Delist but re-rookie post draft
  • O’Driscoll
  • Emmett
  • Voss
(I actually think there is still a chance one of these 3 players may be delisted, probably Voss or NOD. We delisted Taylin Duman in the past after he played several AFL games in their last year).

One year deals:
Reidy (based on last weeks reports)
Banfield (unless he looks for a FA move elsewhere)
Jones.

Two year deal
Sturt (takes him though to 8 year free agency)
Knobel (if they genuinely think he will be an AFL level ruck)

Trade:
Brodie
Erasmus (i hope not but if he requests a trade which appears quite possible it’s a decision to make)

Incoming -
Baker and Bolton
A few draft picks to fill the list with promising kids.
Probably one of the Irish lads

He's 30 next year.

Our defense is actually good. We're number 1. Draper is playing reasonably well as cover.

Pearce, Cox, Draper, Chapman, Walker, Clark, Wagner is a very solid back 7. There's growth in Draper and Chapman to come. I don't see why we would even consider attempting to poach McGovern.
Seems harsh on Luke Ryan

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You do realize we traded 2 firsts and a second for Jackson as we were looking for a premiership.
We are not going to make finals this year.
We better take some of our first rounders to the draft as we haven't finished the rebuild yet 😞
I'd like to take one to the draft ideally but yes, we have finished the rebuild. We have as much talent as anyone, it's about execution and that final 5%. We are "this" close to being a genuine contender

I'd like to take one to the draft ideally but yes, we have finished the rebuild. We have as much talent as anyone, it's about execution and that final 5%. We are "this" close to being a genuine contender

It will be a massive opportunity wasted if we don't use at least 2 of the first round picks on established players via trade.

You do realize we traded 2 firsts and a second for Jackson as we were looking for a premiership.
We are not going to make finals this year.
We better take some of our first rounders to the draft as we haven't finished the rebuild yet 😞
We won’t make finals with that attitude.

I think we will turn over 7 or 8 players this off season between trading and delisting. In recent seasons we have been below the average list turnover for the AFL. I think it was 5 or 6 guys last season.

Delist
  • Hughes
  • Kuek
  • Corbett
  • Taberner
  • Stanley
  • Williams

• O’Driscoll
  • Emmett
  • Voss
(I actually think there is still a chance one of these 3 players may be delisted, probably Voss or NOD. We delisted Taylin Duman in the past after he played several AFL games in their last year).

One year deals:
Jones.

Two year deal

Trade:
Brodie
Erasmus (i hope not but if he requests a trade which appears quite possible it’s a decision to make)

Incoming -
Baker and Bolton
I don't think you can lose both Stanley and NOD. That leaves our wing position very vulnerable.

2 x Cat B (Draper, Williams*)
7 x Cat A (Sharp, Worner, Voss*, Jones*, Reidy*, Kuek*, Stanley*)
36 on main list (including Banfield*, Hughes*, Corbett*, Knobel*, Taberner*, O'Driscoll*, Sturt*, Emmett*)
45 total
*out of contract according to footywire

Footywire lists McDonald as a rookie, but draftguru has him on the main list. I thought we had to start the year with minimum 36 on the main list, so I'm going with draftguru. It gets a bit confusing to me, cause the AFL rules (see Appendix 1 on page 185) say a maximum of 44 on the 2024 list, but we have 45.

Anyway, it seems we could open 2 spots on the main list by delisting cat A rookies. I don't think we will cut as hard as some are suggesting. I think it will be the obvious 3 from the main list (Taberner, Hughes, Corbett), then 2 from Cat A, and Williams from Cat B. I would cut a bit harder personally, but I don't see it happening.

This brings us down to 39 total with 33 on the main list. My guess would be Draper, Bolton and Baker to the main list, meaning 36 on the main list, and 41 total players. Then we have 3 or 4 (depending on main list size of 44 or 45) spots free across the whole list, of which up to 2 can be on the main list. Obviously I am ignoring any trade outs.

2 x Cat B (Draper, Williams*)
7 x Cat A (Sharp, Worner, Voss*, Jones*, Reidy*, Kuek*, Stanley*)
36 on main list (including Banfield*, Hughes*, Corbett*, Knobel*, Taberner*, O'Driscoll*, Sturt*, Emmett*)
45 total
*out of contract according to footywire

Footywire lists McDonald as a rookie, but draftguru has him on the main list. I thought we had to start the year with minimum 36 on the main list, so I'm going with draftguru. It gets a bit confusing to me, cause the AFL rules (see Appendix 1 on page 185) say a maximum of 44 on the 2024 list, but we have 45.

Anyway, it seems we could open 2 spots on the main list by delisting cat A rookies. I don't think we will cut as hard as some are suggesting. I think it will be the obvious 3 from the main list (Taberner, Hughes, Corbett), then 2 from Cat A, and Williams from Cat B. I would cut a bit harder personally, but I don't see it happening.

This brings us down to 39 total with 33 on the main list. My guess would be Draper, Bolton and Baker to the main list, meaning 36 on the main list, and 41 total players. Then we have 3 or 4 (depending on main list size of 44 or 45) spots free across the whole list, of which up to 2 can be on the main list. Obviously I am ignoring any trade outs.
McDonald is a main list, we picked him up after the rookie draft as a DFA but before the SSP (where we go Sharp and Voss)
The reason we have 45 (and 7 rookies) is because we placed Corbett on the inactive list and replaced him with Voss on the rookie list. So we only have 35 main list active players and 7 rookies to take us to 42 plus the two cat b rookies to get us to 44.

Only point in delisting Williams is if we take one of the Irish lads as a cat b or think there’s an NGA who won’t get bid on and we want as a cat b, though none seem to be there this year.

Edit: as for main vs rookie list, we can easily move Wagner and McDonald from the main list to the rookie list as they are both free agents for life anyway

Why?
It’s a shocking contract. Is he really going to fit in the next two years ? He’s 31. How is he going to improve his output?

Club has to admit they tried to quick fix the Mundy retirement with JOM, and it has spectacularly failed.

We need to delist most of those guys just to comply with AFL rules.

I won’t be disappointed if we delist any of the players you’ve mentioned other than Voss. They’re not AFL standard and don’t add to our depth - Reidy might actually, the others don’t.

Stanley has disappointed me this season. If you’ve been watching WAFL you’ve watched different games than I have. The stats don’t tell a different picture either - sub-15 disposals isn’t good enough and what he does with those touches isn’t overly impressive.
To be fair. Stanley has had an ankle injury that took some time to rehab/get over.
NOD is the same. He hasn’t been right for the last two seasons, finally has had some continuity

Delist
  • Hughes
  • Kuek
  • Corbett
  • Taberner
  • Stanley
  • Williams

• O’Driscoll
  • Emmett
  • Voss

One year deals:
Jones.

Two year deal

Trade:
Brodie

Incoming -
Baker and Bolton
Delisting NOD even to rookie would be one of the dumbest things Freo could do. And there have been a lot of dumb things.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back