List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

What is the maximum (walk away point) you would pay for Bolton.

• 9 OR 10

Votes: 13 7.5%
  • 9 & 25

Votes: 33 19.0%
  • 9 & 17

Votes: 85 48.9%
  • 9 & F1

Votes: 18 10.3%
  • 9 & 10

Votes: 22 12.6%
  • 9, 10 & 17

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best case scenario GWS win the flag this year.
Sam Taylor is contracted till 2025. Then wants to come home or is open to discussion.
Who would you target between McDonald or Taylor?
I think we can win a flag with the forward talls we have now.
The reality is that the leading forward will kick 50-60 goals, then the next about
Can you have two leading forwards that gel?
It’s the difference that counts, and why it’s so hard to counter.
Jye is at his best close to goal, brilliant ground ball. Can Logan play outside
the 50m arc?

Best case scenario GWS win the flag this year.
Sam Taylor is contracted till 2025. Then wants to come home or is open to discussion.
Who would you target between McDonald or Taylor?
I think we can win a flag with the forward talls we have now.
The reality is that the leading forward will kick 50-60 goals, then the next about
Can you have two leading forwards that gel?
It’s the difference that counts, and why it’s so hard to counter.
Jye is at his best close to goal, brilliant ground ball. Can Logan play outside
the 50m arc?

Absolutely love Sam Taylor. A little injury prone, but a different level to Logan who is potential. Sam is AA.

Absolutely love Sam Taylor. A little injury prone, but a different level to Logan who is potential. Sam is AA.
Sam only costs draft capital if we lure him as a pre agent the year before he’s a free agent, unless GWS match our offer and force a trade, would he be in their top paid players list to trigger restricted free agent status?

Watching Collingwood they have so many quick, skilful one touch players.

They also don't rate kpfs that highly, especially in finals.

I look at Melbourne try to replicate it, and think we are a mile from that.

I think we use all 3 picks on quick, skilful one touch players and then see how the team looks.

It's not that they don't rate KPFs, its that they don't have any. It's a testament to McRae that he can win without them not a proof they don't matter. Also, Mihocek is better than useful.

But in reality, they won 3 finals by 12 points total last year, any of those could have gone the other way. They aren't a dominant premier the same way Geelong were in 2022, and they had Hawkins and Cameron as a big part of that domination.

I’ll admit that’s probably the difference between just being top four and actually winning a flag.

There were greater gaps in our 2013 side and we were 15 points off one of the best teams of all time on Grand Final day. But we still fell short.

Those 11 players will be a better group in four years than the best 11 players in our 2013 Grand Final. It’s questionable whether there’s as much generational talent as Pavlich, Fyfe, McPharlin and Sandilands were genuinely special (not sure anyone bar Jackson and Amiss are at that level tbh) but I’d argue the next 6-7 are significantly better in this group - not sure there’s going to be players like De Boer, Suban, Sutcliffe and Dawson running around for us in four years either…

I think you might be under selling that next 6-7. We had Walters and Ballantyne as genuinely good small forwards. Johnson, Hill, Barlow, Mundy. That's another 6 players of AA or AA squad ability at their best. Even Mayne for a brief period was elite at what he did. Crowley was also elite at what he did. The current squad has a long way to go to match our top end from that era.

I am doubtful we will ever match that top 10 from 2013, and it will be the bottom half of the team where we need to make up the difference.

If we can get McDonald then you do it. Its a no brainer for mine. He'll kick a few this year i reckon and we will come knocking. But alas Sydney is very well run club so getting him will be difficult and they certainly won't make it an easy choice for him.
If we're into him, its already done or well on the way like Jackson was. This stuff happens miles out.

Interesting that he hasn't signed yet but that's not necessarily final. It's not like we haven't been used by KPFs for leverage before. If it gets to mid year, oooh boy.

Sam only costs draft capital if we lure him as a pre agent the year before he’s a free agent, unless GWS match our offer and force a trade, would he be in their top paid players list to trigger restricted free agent status?

I believe Taylor will be a RFA based on years of service. He's not that old. If GWS are a good side in 2025, even a Band 1 compo might not be that attractive for them, so I think it will need a trade.

Whatever the case, I doubt we can pay both Taylor and McDonald. How can we fit both of them in with all our other highly paid players? I'd choose Taylor out of the two of them, but there is a massive problem because he is managed by Colin Young. I think that essentially rules him out. Which leaves McDonald as the only possibility out of the two.

If we're into him, its already done or well on the way like Jackson was. This stuff happens miles out.

Interesting that he hasn't signed yet but that's not necessarily final. It's not like we haven't been used by KPFs for leverage before. If it gets to mid year, oooh boy.
Round 15.

If it gets to round 15 then we are well and truly in this

I’ll point it this way. If the combination of Darcy, Brayshaw, Young, Serong, Erasmus and Johnson is as good I think they’ll be and the trio of Amiss, Jackson and McDonald is as good as I think they’ll be I really don’t think the rest of our team needs to be anything better than okay to consistently be top four for 4-5 years - Cox and Clark are better than okay players too.
aroused GIF

Tundrawolf wakojako

Any goss on how Collard is tracking with the interstate move?
Have we confirmed he’s home sick and coming back yet
We won't know until the end of the season unfortunately. To be realistic we should probably assume he will be there for a few years so we need to look for other options now.

what is McDonalds elite skills? hes a decent set shot for sure, is he an elite contested mark? athletically gifted and can burn his defender on a lead? agile and quick with ground balls?

ive not watched him a lot so genuine question, he does come across a bit vanilla

in saying that i think trading these first rounders is the way to go, dont see much point in drafting even more youngsters who will be behind quite a few to get a game, maybe trade up the order for 1 talent if not mcdonald

Treacy cannot play in defence until he learns to mark the football.
How can you have a key defender who brings the ball to ground all the time?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whatever the case, I doubt we can pay both Taylor and McDonald. How can we fit both of them in with all our other highly paid players? I'd choose Taylor out of the two of them, but there is a massive problem because he is managed by Colin Young. I think that essentially rules him out. Which leaves McDonald as the only possibility out of the two.
We have around one million dollars spare in the salary cap. Besides Taylor is a Pearce replacement and we aren't getting rid of Pearce. Games are typically won (not always) in the midfield and forwardline so we should invest our picks and cap space into those two areas.

what is McDonalds elite skills? hes a decent set shot for sure, is he an elite contested mark? athletically gifted and can burn his defender on a lead? agile and quick with ground balls?

ive not watched him a lot so genuine question, he does come across a bit vanilla

in saying that i think trading these first rounders is the way to go, dont see much point in drafting even more youngsters who will be behind quite a few to get a game, maybe trade up the order for 1 talent if not mcdonald
I think his marking is coming along very well, could be elite. Very very good tank but not overly quick but his best trait is he is a genuine forward with an elite footy brain. He’s basically Tabs with a little bit more speed and an elite footy IQ.

Come to think of Tabs pK75 Tabs made an AA squad and you think McDonald can’t be in and around AA at any time in his career?

If we can get McDonald then you do it. Its a no brainer for mine. He'll kick a few this year i reckon and we will come knocking. But alas Sydney is very well run club so getting him will be difficult and they certainly won't make it an easy choice for him.

The fact that Sydney went incredibly hard for Larkey, and are apparently still trying to chase JUH, to me means that they are very worried about Logan leaving

Treacy cannot play in defence until he learns to mark the football.
How can you have a key defender who brings the ball to ground all the time?
It's easier to mark a footy when you're not the lead up forward tbh

Defenders can also choose to spoil

Defensive marking is a slightly different skill to forward marking

I think his marking is coming along very well, could be elite. Very very good tank but not overly quick but his best trait is he is a genuine forward with an elite footy brain. He’s basically Tabs with a little bit more speed and an elite footy IQ.

Come to think of Tabs pK75 Tabs made an AA squad and you think McDonald can’t be in and around AA at any time in his career?
Tabs had an outstanding 2020 campaign and if memory serves me correctly was the last player left who had kicked a goal in every game up until about round 13? A lot of teams and KPFs struggled with the Covid hubs and injuries that year. Even then he didn’t make the AA team, just the squad.
Perhaps 2024 is the year McDonald shows that level of consistency but to date he hasn’t.

Tabs had an outstanding 2020 campaign and if memory serves me correctly was the last player left who had kicked a goal in every game up until about round 13? A lot of teams and KPFs struggled with the Covid hubs and injuries that year. Even then he didn’t make the AA team, just the squad.
Perhaps 2024 is the year McDonald shows that level of consistency but to date he hasn’t.
Sure, but we are getting very harsh if this is even a talking point given he's a KPF with only 3 years in the system. If he played for Freo, we'd all be sure he can be an AA forward for at least a year or two in his career. That's not THAT big a hurdle to cross, hell, I think McKay isnt that good (and I think you agreed on the McKay/Curnow comparison) and he's got a Coleman.

Not quite the same class as Kings, JUH or Amiss IMO but I'll be shocked if he's not in the squad for several years and will give the AA team a good nudge

Last edited:
We have around one million dollars spare in the salary cap. Besides Taylor is a Pearce replacement and we aren't getting rid of Pearce. Games are typically won (not always) in the midfield and forwardline so we should invest our picks and cap space into those two areas.

And that war chest, if true, is only good for one of them. To get both we'd need around $2 million free. Taylor is already on $700-800k and for his next contract he will command close to $1 million, maybe even more. McDonald is also going to require close to $1 million to dislodge him if he has a really good season.

And that war chest, if true, is only good for one of them. To get both we'd need around $2 million free. Taylor is already on $700-800k and for his next contract he will command close to $1 million, maybe even more. McDonald is also going to require close to $1 million to dislodge him if he has a really good season.
is that considering the increase in salary cap??

is that considering the increase in salary cap??
I had a look and didn't realise it was going up so much at the end of 2024. But the salary cap increases would surely have been factored into the contracts of the players we recently resigned, so I doubt it would create the necessary space. We also need to give Brayshaw a big pay rise at the end of 2025, plus the Sydney clubs will have factored it in to be able to up their offers to Taylor and McDonald.

I had a look and didn't realise it was going up so much at the end of 2024. But the salary cap increases would surely have been factored into the contracts of the players we recently resigned, so I doubt it would create the necessary space. We also need to give Brayshaw a big pay rise at the end of 2025, plus the Sydney clubs will have factored it in to be able to up their offers to Taylor and McDonald.
yeah im curious how it has been handled - would big names have a clause to reflect their salary as a % of the cap instead of just a figure? not sure

Two points on this:
1. $1 million is not a war chest but a good starting point
2. We need to be financially responsible to ensure sustained success. We should not overpay WA talent to bring them home. Logan should not be paid $1 million.

We have players we can trade/delist to free up cap space. For example Treacy will be on about $300k minimum so that will go straight to Logan. We should not be overpaying to get WA talent back home. If we play our cards right we should be able to land two guns just not those two you mentioned.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back