• Chad Warner

Votes: 163 67.4%
  • Charlie Curnow

Votes: 13 5.4%
  • Shai Bolton

Votes: 9 3.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd also say, McDonald is going fine this year. All of the sydney forwards have been bypassed by the midfield deciding to kick the goals instead.
Yes this gets overlooked a lot. They kick so many goals from the midfield. Logan runs and runs and rarely gets targeted on a lead. He will draw defenders away from the goal square so the mids can kick over the back.

It was actually really surprising when Amartey kicked 9 (and was cruelly benched by Longmire before he could kick 10.)

Last edited:
I'd also say, McDonald is going fine this year. All of the sydney forwards have been bypassed by the midfield deciding to kick the goals instead.
McDonald is fine and will probably end up very good. Would absolutely want us to have targetted him if Treacy didn't breakout this year. But he did and now it is very hard to justify (IMO of course).

Logan McDonald averages:

-0.1 Marks on lead: Treacy/Amiss
+0.6 Marks on lead: Joel Amartey
+0.9 Marks on lead: Luke Jackson

-0.1 Marks inside fifty: Josh Treacy
+0.1 Marks inside fifty: Jye Amiss
+1.1 Marks inside fifty: Luke Jackson

-1.0 Total Marks: Josh Treacy
+1.7 Total Marks: Jye Amiss
+2.3 Total Marks: Luke Jackson

-0.5 Goals: Josh Treacy
= Goals: Jye Amiss
+0.6 Goals: Luke Jackson

Logan McDonald would be our second most useful tall - forward of the half back line.

I think McDonald would become the 2nd forward behind Treacy with both roaming for marks moving the ball out of defense, Amiss would be the medium forward who is genuinely capable of playing tall or small (a nightmare matchup), Luke Jackson will be the one exploiting the extra tall match up.

I expect all four of these players will be better next season and I think a game plan can be built around McDonald, Treacy and Jackson being marking targets outside of the forward fifty when we are trying to move the ball.

It will do wonders for slowing opposition ball movement if we can have the likes of Treacy and McDonald dragging their defenders up field, marking, then moving the turnover position another 50m+ away from defensive goal.

Don't get me wrong, Amiss and Jackson are the talents up forward. Treacy and McDonald will outwork the defenders around them. McDonald makes Amiss and Jackson more dangerous since both are a threat when the ball hits the ground but they will get the 3rd or 4th defender.

Best case scenario for us is that the eagles need extra picks for Baker and busslinger and we can trade two of our first round picks for theirs next year and price them out of getting Warner

I know what picks they currently have. Indicative order is 7, 8 and 20 and you can only go on the current situation. Give up 8 + 20 for Rioli and some late picks/points back, and they will still have to burn 7 (if it isn't also traded for later picks) on Lombard. So they would basically end up trading 7, 8, 20 for Lombard, Rioli and have some later picks left over. When they could have the far better scenario of Lombard, 8, Rioli and not have those late picks. But it is GC after all.

If you are predicting Bulldogs have 10-15, and/or GC rise up the ladder, then that changes the equation considerably.

I think Lombard will go somewhere in the early teens at this stage. The plan would be to get another talented youngster in and then Lombard.

And it’s the Bulldogs I’m predicting to rise. Their form is much better than their ladder position suggests. If they stay where they are Gold Coast might get two players in before Lombard.

Hoping Lombard makes it past pick 7 and then trading pick 8 makes little sense so pick 8 is probably off the table if Lombard isn’t a top ten player and the Bulldogs’ ladder position stays the same.

Reidy would be a 4th round upgrade at best I think and only if we wanted to keep him.

I'd be happy just to let him go if he had another offer.

If we’re not going to use it I’d rather swap St Kilda’s 4th rounder into next year as the trade for Reidy. It’s a fourth round but it’s a pretty good fourth rounder - if a club wants to make a lot of list changes it might not be seen as a useless pick. Whatever 4th rounder we’d end up with could possibly be useless next year as well but at least the option is there.

Best case scenario for us is that the eagles need extra picks for Baker and busslinger and we can trade two of our first round picks for theirs next year and price them out of getting Warner

That would make the 2025 Deathride thread quite epic

I think Lombard will go somewhere in the early teens at this stage. The plan would be to get another talented youngster in and then Lombard.
Yea I wouldn’t be so sure yet.

The kids been dynamite in the champs and his stocks have only risen from the early teens (where he was universally touted start of the season)

I would seriously hope too with all the whinging from clubs about the GC haul at last years draft that they (inc us if in a position to) start taking matters into their own hands and actually start bidding on these kids as early as possible.
**** this “gentlemen’s” agreement thing that seems to have crept into the bidding process.

It’s a blatant leg up for northern academies (and f/s )so if we want clubs paying maximum price then it’s about time clubs did all they could within their power to, instead of just hoping the AFL does something

TL;DR
Theirs no reason a bid for Lombard shouldn’t be coming in the top 5
The kids worthy enough of it on talent

Could easily be the 2025 no. 1 pick if they have an injury run like 2022 or 2023. I don’t think they’re quite stupid enough not to know that either.

We aren’t dealing with St Kilda or Gold Coast here. As much as I hate them and they’re kind of sh*te lately West Coast just aren’t in the same stratosphere of incompetence.

And it’s the Bulldogs I’m predicting to rise. Their form is much better than their ladder position suggests. If they stay where they are Gold Coast might get two players in before Lombard.

Hoping Lombard makes it past pick 7 and then trading pick 8 makes little sense so pick 8 is probably off the table if Lombard isn’t a top ten player and the Bulldogs’ ladder position stays the same.

OK that makes sense if that's where he goes. But I thought Lombard was a top 5 player? Davo-27 has him #4. Smythe has him #5. Chris25 has him #4. ESPN has him #6.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People said the same thing about Treacy at the start of the year. ;)
I stand by all of the section of that earlier comment from the start of the season on McDonald. He’s probably a 200 gamer without ever winning an AA. Happy to take him for pick 15 if the chance came up but not two first rounders.

Clearly Treacys ceiling has increased significantly since the start of the season. However he still has a long way to go to become an elite KPF in the mould of pav/curnow, even Tom Lynch. Definitely very excited by what Treacy has shown this year so far though.

However form swings can work both ways in a team. No one wants to really say this but the truth is Jye Amiss is a shell of the footballer he was last year. I’m still bullish on Jye long term but certainly he’s got some significant work and developing to do before we can be certain he’s going to be a long term gun. Not many of us would be as certain on him being an out and out gun as we were last year.

The long term grind of an AFL career really wears out all but the very toughest of characters. It’s why guys like Pendlebury, and Neale are so impressive - consistently excellent over years and years.

There has been many a false Dawn from young players across the league for a season or two or even three, without ever really truly making it as an elite player of the comp long term.

For me there is only ever about 20 elite players in the comp at any given time. Others will say there is more and definitions of elite vary amongst people. I like Xav Ellis definition though - there is only a small handful of super A+ graders in the comp. Fyfe was clearly one for many years and I think we have just one on our list right now (Serong, and for that matter he’s towards the lower end of that elite current list of 15 or 20) and we have another 8 or 10 that COULD be in that elite group some day in the future. Amiss and Treacy are in that group but it’s a very long road for them both still.

Logan McDonald averages:

Logan McDonald would be our second most useful tall - forward of the half back line.

I think McDonald would become the 2nd forward behind Treacy with both roaming for marks moving the ball out of defense, Amiss would be the medium forward who is genuinely capable of playing tall or small (a nightmare matchup), Luke Jackson will be the one exploiting the extra tall match up.

I expect all four of these players will be better next season and I think a game plan can be built around McDonald, Treacy and Jackson being marking targets outside of the forward fifty when we are trying to move the ball.

It will do wonders for slowing opposition ball movement if we can have the likes of Treacy and McDonald dragging their defenders up field, marking, then moving the turnover position another 50m+ away from defensive goal.

Don't get me wrong, Amiss and Jackson are the talents up forward. Treacy and McDonald will outwork the defenders around them. McDonald makes Amiss and Jackson more dangerous since both are a threat when the ball hits the ground but they will get the 3rd or 4th defender.
Looks like Hawks are now after Logan as well

Logan McDonald averages:

Not sure on the value of including Jackson in this comparison given he’s started half the games this year as the number 1 ruck.

Not sure on the value of including Jackson in this comparison given he’s started half the games this year as the number 1 ruck.

Consider that Jackson playing in the middle should result in more marks then, but it hasn't. Luke Jackson took one mark against the Suns, deep in defense.

It's the biggest frustration for me so far this year.

Consider that Jackson playing in the middle should result in more marks then, but it hasn't. Luke Jackson took one mark against the Suns, deep in defense.

It's the biggest frustration for me so far this year.
It’s relevant for marks.

Marks inside 50, marks on a lead and goals are not a fair comparison, if anything the fact Treacy has played 7 games as a forward ruck but comfortably leads the goals column is testament to the year he is having.

It’s relevant for marks.

Marks inside 50, marks on a lead and goals are not a fair comparison, if anything the fact Treacy has played 7 games as a forward ruck but comfortably leads the goals column is testament to the year he is having.

I believe marks on lead is a different stat to marks inside fifty, and you're right that Treacy is even better because of the time up the field, he takes way more marks there than Jackson does.

Unfortunately Jackson isn't taking marks, I expect it's an opposition KPI. It makes it so hard to move the ball for us.

Ridiculous take. He was a rookie longshot to make it, and worked his backside off to make the most of his limited ability. His injuries are stress related due to overworking his body to give himself a chance. One of the hardest working players we have ever had. The opposite of soft. And he is not disappointing at all, considering he had no right to even play a single AFL game considering his limitations. He far exceeded expectations.
I dunno, I feel like you've expressed the same sentiment that Tabs wasn't a great player but with a positive spin. :)

100%. Would Sydney rather get two top 10 picks for The Chad then likely three in the teens? Sure, but tough t***ies if out of contract, it's still paying a lot and not so unreasonable they can turn it down once he requests a trade
AND we've simply dealt with our fair share of tuff t***ies so time to pay the MFing piper!

Back