Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The difference for me is you have inked the dollar value for the top echelon of your list at 1.2

Right now Brayshaw and Treacy's management would be very interested to get that information.
There is no way this stuff happens in isolation. The current players would absolutely know and understand that players coming in would get paid more, that's just how the AFL works.

Do you think Battle is the 3rd or 4th best Hawks player if he goes there? I don't, but he'll be paid as if he is.

And that's leaving aside how exciting it would be for the current players with players of that quality coming in. Still remember all the Tigers players up and about when Lynch went there.

Also, Andy is a winner and probably DGAF about the money. I am sure he's paid plenty well enough. Treacy seems the same.

Not sure Port or Adelaide have a great list. The role we can offer is better than GWS, who have Whitfield and co playing in his preferred role.

If he wants success, and to play half back then it is an easy choice.
Plus he can avoid that sh1thole, adelaide.
The way folks write about Erasmus is perplexing.
I remember lots writing off Mundy early career
Of course they are vastly different players, but surely we give the kid a chance

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we are pushed to overpay for either Bolton or Baker then we should bundle Brodie into the trade. It would more be about list space for us as the squeeze comes on, but a couple of seasons of a mature body during a rebuild may fit for the Tiges.
Good post
Would also like to see Brodie get game time.
I like him & would rather keep him, but if we have to lose him ...

The coaches seem to see his potential for a wing role and they get plenty of data to go on.

I don't think there's anything wrong with his tank that I've seen. How does he go in the time trials?

He's a good size. Dynamic, fairly quick and can roost a ball. Handy attributes for a wing.

He might need another preseason to sharpen to the role, but if the team balance allows for it, he ticks a lot of boxes.
I love me a tall wing
I'd even chase tim English for that wing role

I'd be okay with using our highest first round pick in the draft and hypothetically if Bolton and Baker are available I'd give them the other 2 firsts and next years first. Then try to package the Saints 2nd and our future 2nd for a 2025 1st. That way we have 2 for Warner next year. Get Bolton and Baker and hopefully draft a gun with pick 6 this year.

Gross

Plus he can avoid that sh1thole, adelaide.
The way folks write about Erasmus is perplexing.
I remember lots writing off Mundy early career
Of course they are vastly different players, but surely we give the kid a chance

David could kick the footy

Wouldn't mind seeing Reidy and Knobel in the same team at Peel. In theory we'd get a better look at both up forward and see if they're capable of playing the forward/ruck role at AFL level.
It would stop Peel playing Tragenza in the ruck. He can settle at Full forward whilst the other two rotate and as you say spend some time up forward. Tabs hopefully has his running game up to speed now so he can play CHF.

Tragenza is no good in the ruck.

There is no way this stuff happens in isolation. The current players would absolutely know and understand that players coming in would get paid more, that's just how the AFL works.

Do you think Battle is the 3rd or 4th best Hawks player if he goes there? I don't, but he'll be paid as if he is.

And that's leaving aside how exciting it would be for the current players with players of that quality coming in. Still remember all the Tigers players up and about when Lynch went there.

Also, Andy is a winner and probably DGAF about the money. I am sure he's paid plenty well enough. Treacy seems the same.
Doesn't happen in isolation?

It would be a fairly rare occurrence for any club, let al0ne one sitting in the top 4, to bring in two of the highest paid players in the game,and that's on top of Jackson. Those decisions directly impact the livelihoods of others on the list.

I much prefer the Geelong style of managing player contract levels, and I think it is closer to our current practice.

Your last paragraph was probably what Melbourne fans said about Jackson and Sydney fans say about Warner. I would have said it about Logue. But the reality is football is a business.

Doesn't happen in isolation?

It would be a fairly rare occurrence for any club, let al0ne one sitting in the top 4, to bring in two of the highest paid players in the game,and that's on top of Jackson. Those decisions directly impact the livelihoods of others on the list.

I much prefer the Geelong style of managing player contract levels, and I think it is closer to our current practice.

Your last paragraph was probably what Melbourne fans said about Jackson and Sydney fans say about Warner. I would have said it about Logue. But the reality is football is a business.
Contract negotiations don't happen in isolation.

Contract negotiations don't happen in isolation.
I hope they aren’t chatting to Treacy about what we should be paying Bolton.

In reality Tracy's agent will be on a mission to squeeze every dollar they can from the club for their client. And if they aren’t Treacy should make a change.

In reality Tracy's agent will be on a mission to squeeze every dollar they can from the club for their client. And if they aren’t Treacy should make a change.
There is more on life than money.

Role
success
Enjoyment

Players often leave some cash on the table to get the rest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Treacy's aim is to fill his pockets, I agree.

If his aim is anything else, then the manager is terrible at their job.

You yourself brought up the Cats, who do this exact thing.

If Treacy's aim is to fill his pockets, I agree.

If his aim is anything else, then the manager is terrible at their job.

You yourself brought up the Cats, who do this exact thing.
I expect all players woonce they are established have the aim to set themselves up financially.

I would be amazed if Geelong bring in players on top 10 in the league contracts (Cameron may be an exception).

We are discussing bringing in 2 while having our homegrown 2 who are looking at contract extensions.

I think that is questionable, disruptive and out of character with our recent list management.

I expect all players woonce they are established have the aim to set themselves up financially.

I would be amazed if Geelong bring in players on top 10 in the league contracts (Cameron may be an exception).

We are discussing bringing in 2 while having our homegrown 2 who are looking at contract extensions.

I think that is questionable, disruptive and out of character with our recent list management.
Agree to disagree.

I think it's important to remember the raising of the salary cap not just this year but in future years and how that impacts the average wage and existing leeway in cap space.

A lot of our players will be on contracts at present (most of our crucial young talent) negotiated before the expanding cap was locked in. They also would have been negotiated before those players really hit their straps and likely with more leeway in the cap early in their deals considering how few well performed players we had on the list. There would be a decent amount of front loading to provide more wiggle room for future years in terms of cap space which I have no doubt is why we have been a major force when discussing out of contract players in the last year or two.

I believe we have plenty of room to move not just right now but in the future. Getting both Warner and Bolton is not an issue in terms of salary cap space and doesn't necessitate anyone leaving to make room. The dead wood of Baker is a different story if it stops us getting A grade talent in the door. You need to use your additional cap space wisely and not on players in the 15-30 range of your squad. If you pay big bucks, they need to be top 10 players that influence your starting 22 greatly.

I think I remember reading/hearing that there are only two clubs who don’t factor in salary cap increases into their contracts moving forward - and we weren’t one of them.

Of course there’s still plenty of value in some of the longer contracts, but I’m not sure the increase in TPP suddenly means we have millions extra to play around with.

The salary cap going up is fantastic because expectations of value trail the raise, meaning $600,000 might be worth $800,000 in new salary cap - but $600,000 is still a huge sum of money for someone previously making $400,000 a year.

The agents will quickly raise expectations but for a little while the players will feel like they are on elite money when they are just on the new above average money.

I think it's important to remember the raising of the salary cap not just this year but in future years and how that impacts the average wage and existing leeway in cap space.

A lot of our players will be on contracts at present (most of our crucial young talent) negotiated before the expanding cap was locked in. They also would have been negotiated before those players really hit their straps and likely with more leeway in the cap early in their deals considering how few well performed players we had on the list. There would be a decent amount of front loading to provide more wiggle room for future years in terms of cap space which I have no doubt is why we have been a major force when discussing out of contract players in the last year or two.

I believe we have plenty of room to move not just right now but in the future. Getting both Warner and Bolton is not an issue in terms of salary cap space and doesn't necessitate anyone leaving to make room. The dead wood of Baker is a different story if it stops us getting A grade talent in the door. You need to use your additional cap space wisely and not on players in the 15-30 range of your squad. If you pay big bucks, they need to be top 10 players that influence your starting 22 greatly.
Are you suggesting Liam Baker is dead wood and not an A grade player ?……. That’s ridiculous.

Are you suggesting Liam Baker is dead wood and not an A grade player ?……. That’s ridiculous.
Not an A grader.

Very good role player.

I don't think he would be in our top 10 players at the club, and if you are not that then you can't be an A grader.

Can we just accept that everything we are hearing and all factors aside that we have spoken with him and had a crack (as we should do), is that Baker is going to WC. We always hear the maybe maybe arguments and "we've got more to offer and they're sh5t", but the players coming back pretty much just go to the club they are linked with. I get that it helps push up his WC contract and likely makes the agents for actual targets like Warner and maybe Bolton a bit edgy to push the process a bit for their clients so all plays a role, but really, I would be shocked if Baker dons the purple next year.

Our best 22 in a push for our 2025 flag year has potential for replacement in Banfield and Aish and Aish seems to be closing in on the sub anyway as it is. The Banfield spot is where the trade will happen - Warner or Bolton. Getting both would be unrealistic albeit possible. That's my guess (Rachelle would be my unrealistic dream).

Not an A grader.

Very good role player.

I don't think he would be in our top 10 players at the club, and if you are not that then you can't be an A grader.
I agree. Would be less important than:
Serong
Brayshaw
Darcy
Jackson
Treacy
Amiss
Pearce
Cox
Ryan
Clark

unless we are giving everyone an A cause it's 2024

I think I remember reading/hearing that there are only two clubs who don’t factor in salary cap increases into their contracts moving forward - and we weren’t one of them.

Of course there’s still plenty of value in some of the longer contracts, but I’m not sure the increase in TPP suddenly means we have millions extra to play around with.

Absolutely. Cox extension was made the day after the AFL confirmed officially the salary cap increases. Darcy about a month later. The club would have been aware of this regardless and factored it into the contracts of the other guns.

It is very hard to have more than 6-7 players who would be in the top 100 paid players list that the Herald Sun releases.
We've got Cox, Darcy, Serong, Brayshaw, Jackson, Young who would all be in or near that bracket. There's not much scope for more, and we've got the likes of Amiss and Treacy who play in arguably the most valuable position in the league. We've got AA level defenders as well.

I really don't see how we can pay all these guys top dollar and still get all the targets being talked about. Warner you find a way to squeeze him in. Bolton's contract would have to be half paid for by Richmond. Baker can't be paid too much. He could get way more at Richmond and hopefully he stays there.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back