• Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds like exciting times

I just want to enjoy the rest of the season and hope our brains trust nails the off season

As much as we love speculation here and finding the 'best' deal or approach, ultimately I don't think there's a clear loss from here. You get Bolton or Warner or Both, maybe Baker who really cares, or you take some high picks to a deep draft.

Either way it'll be fun.

It's funny, the two different boards. You watch Richmond board slowly all come to terms with their actual situation and understand that the draft is where you build from. Picks aren't magic beans, they are lotto tickets when you have time for them to develop.

I think on here we still need to come to terms with how good we are on AND off-field. The club hasn't made a mistake with trades since Bell wasn't able to stop the Hogan trade. We are mostly done with draft picks for the immediate future, as any team in our situation should be.

There must be a point we say no, walk away.

Eagles and Kelly
Crows and gibbs

If we aren't prepared to walk away we are stuffed.

As much as we love speculation here and finding the 'best' deal or approach, ultimately I don't think there's a clear loss from here. You get Bolton or Warner or Both, maybe Baker who really cares, or you take some high picks to a deep draft.

Either way it'll be fun.
Have a great hand. Be hard to lose in this situation. When the worst possible outcome is drafting 4 potential guns in the top 25 we are doing alright.

Eagles and Kelly
Crows and gibbs

They are just completely different situations but yeah, I agree. Some of the claims from Tiggers fans are ridiculous. I'd walk way from more than the best two firsts and that should have some cap and late picks returned.

Eagles and Kelly
Crows and gibbs

This is genuinely different.

We could pay 3 first rounders for Todd Goldstein and have him play at Peel reserves and we’d still have a very solid core of youngsters that grow together. Plus it would only be one year of the draft missed.

Our side is crazy young and it’s actually the vets being lifted by the youth.

None of our vets have carried the team this year.

Completely different situation. We have guys that have literal years ahead of them.

Typical comments from "media pundits" that are very uneducated on the current Freo team, on and off the field.

Most seem to be cheerleaders this "Sell the Farm to Richmond" focus, which is something we would have done in the past.

We have an exciting 5-7 years ahead of us with this young squad, so using the picks will only boost this opportunity.

If no Warner this year, our default position should be that we are using the picks, and the clubs can then come to us with best offers, not the other way around.

Freo need to stand strong, back in our development system and lock in a decade of success from the youth up. Find our own Bolton from the draft!

They are just completely different situations but yeah, I agree. Some of the claims from Tiggers fans are ridiculous. I'd walk way from more than the best two firsts and that should have some cap and late picks returned.

7 and 10 for Bolton and pick 22.

For me that is still too much, unless they pay significant amount of salary.

The most I would pay 7 and 17 with 22 or future 2nd coming back.

This is genuinely different.

We could pay 3 first rounders for Todd Goldstein and have him play at Peel reserves and we’d still have a very solid core of youngsters that grow together. Plus it would only be one year of the draft missed.

Our side is crazy young and it’s actually the vets being lifted by the youth.

None of our vets have carried the team this year.

Completely different situation. We have guys that have literal years ahead of them.

This is a good argument to keep the draft picks. If our window is opening now and may stay open for another 6 years, this year’s high draftees will help us towards the end of that period, when the older players have retired.

Typical comments from "media pundits" that are very uneducated on the current Freo team, on and off the field.

Most seem to be cheerleaders this "Sell the Farm to Richmond" focus, which is something we would have done in the past.

We have an exciting 5-7 years ahead of us with this young squad, so using the picks will only boost this opportunity.

If no Warner this year, our default position should be that we are using the picks, and the clubs can then come to us with best offers, not the other way around.

Freo need to stand strong, back in our development system and lock in a decade of success from the youth up. Find our own Bolton from the draft!
Sounds great in theory but history shows no one can stay at the top for a decade. All the great teams of the past 25 years Brisbane 2001-2004. Cats 2007-2011. Hawks 2012-2015, Tigers 2017-2020. It's very hard to stay at the top and be the hunted team for a long time. I think you're looking at 5 years max of really contending.

It could be 6 or 5 and 10 if Saints win 2 games

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app
It won't be because Melbourne and Gold Coast are cooked. Pies pick will be between 7 and 9 IMO. Don't think they can get into 10th with the runs other teams have.

Seems like Port squeeze into the 8 but hopefully get the snot belted out of them by 5th or 6th.

Very important Swans turn up because Port are annoyingly pushing for the 4 and keep getting unbelievable timing with and teams they play

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It won't be because Melbourne and Gold Coast are cooked. Pies pick will be between 7 and 9 IMO. Don't think they can get into 10th with the runs other teams have.

Seems like Port squeeze into the 8 but hopefully get the snot belted out of them by 5th or 6th.

Very important Swans turn up because Port are annoyingly pushing for the 4 and keep getting unbelievable timing with and teams they play
But pies may lose all game and gold Coast and Dee's win 1 or 2?

But pies may lose all game and gold Coast and Dee's win 1 or 2?

I just dont think they are THAT bad, I'd have then more likely to jam a couple than Gold Coast and Dee's. GC are genuinely pathetic and have absolutely no heart to do anything.

It's funny, the two different boards. You watch Richmond board slowly all come to terms with their actual situation and understand that the draft is where you build from. Picks aren't magic beans, they are lotto tickets when you have time for them to develop.

I think on here we still need to come to terms with how good we are on AND off-field. The club hasn't made a mistake with trades since Bell wasn't able to stop the Hogan trade. We are mostly done with draft picks for the immediate future, as any team in our situation should be.

This is why the optimism thread is based in realism. We are the beginning of something special, right now. All this and our KPF's won't be at their peak for four years or so yet.

I agree we should get Bolton if he wants to come. And if we pay overs, which two firsts would be, we should get some of his salary paid by Richmond.

Bolton and Freddy pushing from wing to forward with Simpson developing around them... Sensual.

When I looked fixture GC have one home game and away games are against Tigers who does not want to win?

I just saw them lose to WC with no Barass and North away a few weeks ago. They just suck so much. Hope you're right though

Yeah but the post was mainly about picks. Picks are our least valuable commodity for the future, capspace is king, I think that's a different discussion.

I think reading between the lines if you trust what Daniels is saying. Bolton did approach us and now we've had to re-assess with how much work has been put into Warner. It does sound like Freo are saying "yes, but not at the expense of The Chad"
Which feels right from the pov that a mid like Chad is ridiculous when paired with our mids.

I have more faith that we can find a small forward or two and that Simpson will develop than we will find someone like 'The Chad'.

Either way it is a ridiculous position to be in.

It just amazes me players not even halfway through there contracts say I want to go home.

Like seriously what's the point of a 6 year contract if 2 years in.

I want to go home.

I get we may be advantage by it now. But still it's why even when we announce big long term contracts now you question is the player really going to stick it out for those 5 or 6 years.

A winnable game by the tiges here we might get the best of Bolton and baker and see what we can recruit for next year

This is a good argument to keep the draft picks. If our window is opening now and may stay open for another 6 years, this year’s high draftees will help us towards the end of that period, when the older players have retired.

But we’re not potentially bringing in 28 year olds.

The guys we bring in are young enough for a solid 5+ year run.

We could still grab guys from the 2025-2028 drafts to create their own story from 2030 onwards.

There does come a point where you want to avoid too much youth playing twos.

We already have Erasmus, Simpson, Worner, Stanley, NOD on top of speculatives like Kuek, DeLean and middle aged players that could cover.

Sure, take the picks to the draft and we land a gun then all good but Bolton is a gun.

I’d give up 5 first rounders if it meant we landed Bolton and Warner this trade period. Who cares what we get back. Give me future 4ths. Couldn’t care less.

Sounds great in theory but history shows no one can stay at the top for a decade. All the great teams of the past 25 years Brisbane 2001-2004. Cats 2007-2011. Hawks 2012-2015, Tigers 2017-2020. It's very hard to stay at the top and be the hunted team for a long time. I think you're looking at 5 years max of really contending.
Our age profile is very different to those teams. Topping up at the bottom with top end draft picks will extend this longer than those examples. With the primary talent all around 21-22, we could be strong for another 7 with this squad.

Culture and drive will be the difference, which we currently have. We can control this better with the drafted kids, not sure Bolton brings that. I hope for our sake he does (if we get him)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back