Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree in theory but no need to be reckless with picks when it’s clear we have some leverage. Richmond need to reload on youth before Tas and they see this as an opportunity to do so.
Yes, I think we have a reasonable position to negotiate from.

If Richmond aren't looking at their list and this draft and seeing the opportunity to to go hard at a rebuild before Tassie, then they are going to dwell in the cellar for a decade.

You don't build around Bolton.

By the way, if Bolton isn't coming, Berry and Winder in this draft to go with Simpson is fine by me. Plus another 2 first rounders to play with.

Yeah but the post was mainly about picks. Picks are our least valuable commodity for the future, capspace is king, I think that's a different discussion.

I think reading between the lines if you trust what Daniels is saying. Bolton did approach us and now we've had to re-assess with how much work has been put into Warner. It does sound like Freo are saying "yes, but not at the expense of The Chad"

if we don’t compromise next year/Chad to get him I’m ok with it.

We can also trade into the future a bit more for Chad if we need to.

I really hope Collingwood and Port smash through 40 mirrors, while shafting a black cat under a ladder, because if we end up with two top tens and our own pick which could be anywhere from 15-18, I’d love to offer Richmond one of the top tens, our First and St Kilda’s second for Bolton and Baker.
**** em. That’s good value. More than we got for Lachie Neale, plus Baker's actual worth.
If Warner wants to come now: top ten and future first.

If not, draft Joe Berry.

Next year we have a full deck to play with and Warner is now out of contract.

Last edited:

Will be interesting if Sydney see our very realistic interest in Bolton as a threat to them receiving the big haul for Warner. Ie This is the year we have all the picks to give away, so if Warner is indeed coming home, this is the year to lose him, rather than next when we have relatively little to offer (and he is out of contract next year, thus removing any leverage they have).

They don’t want us giving all our sweet picks to Richmond.

Could we see a reverse bidding war between Sydney and Richmond chasing our picks this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will be interesting if Sydney see our very realistic interest in Bolton as a threat to them receiving the big haul for Warner. Ie This is the year we have all the picks to give away, so if Warner is indeed coming home, this is the year to lose him, rather than next when we have relatively little to offer (and he is out of contract next year, thus removing any leverage they have).

Could we see a reverse bidding war between Sydney and Richmond chasing our picks this year?

Taylor alluded to this earlier, put two bundles on the table, pies pick and our F1 vs ports pick and our pick this year. Whichever club puts their hand up first gets to choose, the second club gets left with “this is all we have, you had your chance”

We aren’t going to be contending for a full decade. People need to be realistic.
The comp structure is specifically designed to ensure that doesn’t happen.
If we did manage to do that it would be with an entire different team by the end of that decade bar a handful of stalwarts and a heck of a lot of traded in free agents and academy picks (which we will be paying more for than Sydney did).
I’m all for bringing in Bolton in to try maximise the next 5 years. Once out core players hit age 30 or so we will be in the same conversations that Melbourne and Richmond are in now. That’s totally fine too.
We just need to win a flag in the next 4 or 5 years. Draft picks in 2024 won’t help as much with that as Bolton will.

Last edited:

This could be what Ryan Daniels told " things are complicated as Freo chasing multiple players"?

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baker and Bolton's best is behind them. Currently polished t*rds in a wooden spoon team. Need to be priced accordingly not sell the farm.

Let's not be Richmond, who recently bought Taranto and Hopper and late picks from GWS for 12, 19, 31 and a future F1. This was a disaster, and we do not need to copy their example.

Baker and Bolton's best is behind them. Currently polished t*rds in a wooden spoon team. Need to be priced accordingly not sell the farm.

Let's not be Richmond, who recently bought Taranto and Hopper and late picks from GWS for 12, 19, 31 and a future F1. This was a disaster, and we do not need to copy their example.

I’d actually say they’re the opposite of polished turds. I think there’s clearly a cognitive bias (that is pretty much unavoidable) where individual players look better or worse depending on how good or bad their team is performing

That hurts

Our age profile is very different to those teams. Topping up at the bottom with top end draft picks will extend this longer than those examples. With the primary talent all around 21-22, we could be strong for another 7 with this squad.

Culture and drive will be the difference, which we currently have. We can control this better with the drafted kids, not sure Bolton brings that. I hope for our sake he does (if we get him)
Not saying it's not possible. I'd love 10 years of really competing for flags but it's just not likely. We could be good for a decade like Geelong were in the 20 teens but they were never a serious threat to win it all and were lucky to pinch one in 2022 before the wheels fell off.

Realistically we have 4 or 5 years and then have to retool around the group that are young now but will be the senior players for another run.

It's very difficult being the top dog where you are getting every teams best every week trying to knock you off.

Last edited:

Don't think it would affect them at all. They're in the window and would rather have Chad for the extra year to try and win.

This is all just smoke and mirrors. We don't really want any of these guys. IT'S ALL ABOUT GETTING RORY LOBB!!!

Not saying it's not possible. I'd love 10 years of really competing for flags but it's just not likely. We could be good for a decade like Geelong were in the 20 teens but they were never a serious threat to win it all and were lucky to pinch one in 2022 before the wheels fell off.

Realistically we have 4 or 5 years and then have to retool around the group that are young now but will be the senior players for another run.

It's very difficult being the top dog where you are getting every teams best every week trying to knock you off.
Is this the same Geelong sitting 2nd on the ladder as we speak?

They are pretty much the club for us to emulate, and that is probably why our club recruits off field staff from them

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back