Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Bolton would be a good addition. Dangerfield at the same age effectively cost Geelong 9 and 28. I would suggest Dangerfield comparatively a more valuable player.
Bolton will be 26 next year and most AFL players don't go much past 30 and if they do they generally are on the decline. Mundys are the exception not the rule. Our list is youthful and strong - we don't need to squander picks in desperation. No way should we go more than one first plus trimmings.
Dangerfield was a free agent and Adelaide accepted that deal because it was better than the free agency compo.

Bolton would be a good addition. Dangerfield at the same age effectively cost Geelong 9 and 28. I would suggest Dangerfield comparatively a more valuable player.
Bolton will be 26 next year and most AFL players don't go much past 30 and if they do they generally are on the decline. Mundys are the exception not the rule. Our list is youthful and strong - we don't need to squander picks in desperation. No way should we go more than one first plus trimmings.
Seems ridiculous that we always pay overs rather than market value.
Rory Lobb kicked 36 goals in 2022, yet we did the deal to the Bulldogs for
I think pick 30 and a future second?
So we have the players to fix the forward line, trade them instead of holding them
to a contract, or even try to talk them out of it.
At that stage we had Amiss who is still only a boy, Tabs with a back injury or some
other ailment and another lad in Treacy.
Sturt, Freddy, Switta, not the finished product and somehow this is not the clubs
fault?
Then you had the forward/mids, without Mundy and we decide to bring in JOM.
Jackson who has a lower output than Lobb, and has to play main ruck due to
Darcy.
You couldn’t make this stuff up, and now the missing piece is Bolton.
Inexperienced or poor management, development is why we are forever
rebuilding or chasing dream trades.

You know when your watching Cameron, Stengle, Pickett one out with defender and you just think, yeah, that defender is ****ed? Have you thought about anyone in our team since Ballas? We need another forward threat. Bolton is going to be massive for our transition and forward threat.

Depth is also the easiest position to fill out, half of it is coaching and using players properly.
Cameron, Stengle and Pickett all 700k or less and won’t cost 2x firsts and 1M per year.

You know when your watching Cameron, Stengle, Pickett one out with defender and you just think, yeah, that defender is ****ed? Have you thought about anyone in our team since Ballas? We need another forward threat. Bolton is going to be massive for our transition and forward threat.

Depth is also the easiest position to fill out, half of it is coaching and using players properly.
Except for when Walker is playing on them. You hardly notice that they are playing.

Gold Coast have 6,13 and 20
Freo 9,10 and 17
Richmond Bolton and Rioli

Here I go:

GC give 6, 20 get Rioli and 17 left with 13,17 values Rioli at ~8

Freo give 9,10,17 get Bolton, 20 and Richmond’s future 2nd values Bolton at ~4

Richmond give Bolton, Rioli future 2nd get 6,9,10

Sprinkle all sorts of later round picks or later round future picks around.

We still have a pick in the first round albeit the last one.

The alternative is sub out 10 for our future first, which would clearly be preferred but I think Tigers will go hard at 9 and 10.

Maybe swap 17 with our future first.

Thoughts?

For us - it means giving up 9 and 10. A 3 pick downgrade late in the first round. Getting Bolton and Richmond’s future 2nd.
Yuck.

I'd like to present Richmond with an array of options;
#15 & #26 = help out Bolton and take his whole contract
#10 & #26 = help Bolton and Richmond pay $300k for four years
#10 & #15 = Richmond pay $500k for two years
#9 & #10 = Richmond pay 750k for four years

Longmuir and to a lesser extent the administration have very little to lose by selling the farm this year. On the hand the club and members will have to bare the pain for another decade.

If no reasonable deals can be done. I would try to move one of 1st into the following year. Look to add a fringe forward to the list with a late pick and stick with a youth policy.

As i see it, worst case we end up being a fringe finals side with still one of the youngest lists in the comp. If we are conservative and patient I still have confidence we can be a top 4 team by developing youth.

I just really hope we don't end the offseason with:

In: Bolton, Martin, 2nd and 3rd round Pick
Out: 9,10,17, Switkowski and Sturt

It would kill us and I don't think it's that unrealistic.
It’s very unrealistic. Switta has a contract so not sure why we are giving him away while losing 3 first rounders?

We will be using one of them if we are only getting Bolton in.

I'd like to present Richmond with an array of options;
#15 & #26 = help out Bolton and take his whole contract
#10 & #26 = help Bolton and Richmond pay $300k for four years
#10 & #15 = Richmond pay $500k for two years
#9 & #10 = Richmond pay 750k for four years
There will be many moving parts, no doubt. It'd be fun to be able to sit in on all those negotiations.

I would compare Bolton most to Brad hill. Brad hill was traded for pick 10, future second at age 26 and with 2 years remaining on contract. I recall at the time we all wanted heaps more but this was the crux of the trade. I’d be happy with this years pick 10 and 27 as fair price for him.

Why is he all of a sudden pick 4 or higher equivalent?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would compare Bolton most to Brad hill. Brad hill was traded for pick 10, future second at age 26 and with 2 years remaining on contract. I recall at the time we all wanted heaps more but this was the crux of the trade. I’d be happy with this years pick 10 and 27 as fair price for him.

And I think we all thoughts we got overs.

And in hindsight, we turned Brad Hill into Caleb Serong. What a massive win.

To get Richmond to pay shitloads of his salary for us so we can get warner

Call me crazy, but with Bolton wanting to come back to specifically play for Freo, why are we contemplating loading up a swag of our first rounders? Yes, he’s a very good player and in a position we desperately need, but I look at the Cerra trade where he selected Carltank, was a high performing very early draft pick and we gave him away for a single first rounder and chips. Why is Bolton worth so much more than that?

Under contract plus salary cap relief. I've been a broken record on this in this thread, but so many continue to ignore it.

Let's say the trade is 9 for Bolton himself. It's not crazy compared to all these other examples people are bringing up. Then whatever else we pay depends on how much salary cap relief we get.

Very difficult to fit in Bolton and Warner alongside the big contracts for Darcy, Jackson, Serong, Brayshaw, Young, Cox. Still have to pay Treacy, Amiss, Pearce, Ryan, Clark and 30 other players.

27 will become something in the 30’s.

2019 trade period: Brad Hill, F3 > 10, F2, F4, Blake Acres

I’ve said all along it will be something along the lines:
9,16-18 > Bolton (exchange of later picks in our favour - something like F3 Fremantle for pick 39). Richmond have a large hand of picks already and won’t draft that deep. They will get picks also for Baker and Rioli as well as compo pick for Graham (going to West Coast) so will want to start adding to their 2025 hand.

Baker if he chooses Freo I’d go something along the lines:
27, F2 > Baker F3 (bit similar to Lobb deal)

If Switta goes - get an F2.
If Brodie goes upgrade Saints 63 > 58 for example.

We then hold:
2024 ND: 10, 39, 58
2025 ND: F1 (Freo), F2 (Another club), F3 (Richmond), F4 (Freo)

2 in and 2 out

3 ND picks for Tabs, Hughes & Corbett. Some list change needed in the Rookie list and we may open up a spot. Personally and I know I got shot down - I’d delist and rookie Delean if we need to shuffle things around a bit. Delean from what I’ve seen is a long shot picked up at pick 60 and I don’t care in his case if he has lifetime free agency status.

Are we really a chance to get Warner whether this year or next. My money would be on him staying in Sydney if I had to guess one way or the other. It's not as common for big name WA players to want to come home as it is for the VIC metro types to leave Perth.

Are we really a chance to get Warner whether this year or next. My money would be on him staying in Sydney if I had to guess one way or the other. It's not as common for big name WA players to want to come home as it is for the VIC metro types to leave Perth.

Some in the know people are saying he is a good chance to come back.

Others have said recently, that he is likely to stay. Maybe he will extend for 2 or 3 years, to get himself to free agency and then head back home.

Some in the know people are saying he is a good chance to come back.

Others have said recently, that he is likely to stay. Maybe he will extend for 2 or 3 years, to get himself to free agency and then head back home.
Be good to know what he wants to do rather than sitting in hope. If we put all our eggs in the Chad basket and he doesn't come it would be bad. If he is staying in Sydney we should be loading up for this draft and getting them in now rather than next year. Trade for Bolton and trade next years picks for more picks this year and get them developing ASAP.

The fox footy people think we will trade 2 firsts for Liam and Shai and will use at least 1 first. They say Bo Allen ... may be good idea as we lack grunt in midfield and strengthen backline after Young's move to midfield?

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Allan is just lazy journalism, assuming the the WA club will draft WA players. We rarely do.

The rest is pretty spot on. The ground ball gets stats is not surprising, and when you combine it with our forward 50 pressure stats, it highlights a big hole on our list.

Draft picks: 9, 10, 17, 27, 63

List chasm: The frustrating thing for Freo fans this year was that so much went right, before a nasty injury run in the final month of the home and away season ultimately was their undoing. It’s pretty difficult to identify too many major areas of list improvement for Justin Longmuir’s side, but the Dockers did struggle to cover the loss of Lachie Schultz inside forward 50. Fremantle ranked 15th in the competition for ground ball gets inside 50 in 2024. Michael Frederick and Sam Sturt combined for 44 goals, but with Michael Walters retiring in the near future, is it time to cast an eye towards a replacement?

Ideal draft prospects: It’s looking more and more likely that the Dockers attack the trade period, rather than the draft this season and you can see why. They’ve been heavily linked to Tigers stars Shai Bolton and Liam Baker and both would add plenty to Longmuir’s side, who are bound to challenge for the finals once more in 2024. If they do manage to keep one of those early draft picks, then local prospect Bo Allan could be a nice pickup. Allan was an All-Australian this year having averaged 20 disposals, 6.3 score involvements and six tackles per match in the National Championships. The West Australian captain is a great athlete with a strong footy IQ and could slot in both as a midfielder or defender. Vic Country small forward Joe Berry is an exciting prospect as well and could be considered early on.

Be good to know what he wants to do rather than sitting in hope. If we put all our eggs in the Chad basket and he doesn't come it would be bad. If he is staying in Sydney we should be loading up for this draft and getting them in now rather than next year. Trade for Bolton and trade next years picks for more picks this year and get them developing ASAP.

I doubt we will know at all. I would assume Fremantle would have a decent idea.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back