Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Pickett, Bolton

Votes: 63 16.8%
  • Pickett, Warner, Winder and Richards

Votes: 4 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Jesus Jon Ralph is gone full Richmond trade talk nuffie on Twitter.
Split Pick 3 for Liam baker.
Has he got rocks in his head?
would be funny if they do so i approve

No real downside to getting Martin for cheap, certainly not worth melting over
I put myself through the torture of watching our last game versus Port. After that I hope we do everything possible to bring in players who can get the ball and dont fumble. Provided he comes for free ((eg delisted free agent or SSP) I think Martin's worth a shot.

The biggest likelihood for Martin is that he comes in, is never fit, and wastes a year (or two) trying to get fit playing no games. Meanwhile he's getting paid money that could have gone to someone else who we will inevitably lose because they got a better offer elsewhere.

Sure at his best he would be a good pick up, but the likelihood for that is very low. Unless he's dirt cheap salary wise and on a rookie list I don't really see the benefit in it all.

The biggest likelihood for Martin is that he comes in, is never fit, and wastes a year (or two) trying to get fit playing no games. Meanwhile he's getting paid money that could have gone to someone else who we will inevitably lose because they got a better offer elsewhere.

Sure at his best he would be a good pick up, but the likelihood for that is very low. Unless he's dirt cheap salary wise and on a rookie list I don't really see the benefit in it all.
Rookie list is prob his go. Similar to Sharp via SSP. Otherwise my concerns as a DFA on primary list I share all your concerns.

We do seem rather tight on list space at the Rookie list. We have 7 when we are only allowed 6 (due to Voss replacing Corbett)

Worner - contracted
Sharp - contracted
Reidy - reportedly contracted
Voss - reportedly contracted
Stanley - seems in trouble
Kuek - seems in trouble
Jones - ??

The injury concerns are obviously very real, though I'd suggest that if they were in the realm of "likely to play 0 games", it's an issue that we'd detect and we wouldn't sign him. The 2 seasons before this one he did play a fair amount, and there's a level of Carlton medical team tax.

I think the idea that signing Jack Martin would result in us losing a player we want to keep due to money spent is a bit absurd. We're the only bidder, and while it seems the club likes the idea of Jack Martin, we won't exactly be approaching this like he's a star signing. The worst thing that can happen is he costs us a list spot that we'd probably otherwise use on a pick in the 60s/a rookie draft selection/an SSP selection/reserve for the almighty MSD.

If it's a 1 year deal with at most pretty difficult triggers for a 2nd and the medicos tick it off, I don't mind it (don't love adding another medium fwd with iffy pressure whose best attribute is marking, but he's at worst a real best 22 contender when fit). If it's guaranteed 2 years, I think that's overkill.

Was it you that said Merrett was a spud? I know one of the long term draft watchers did.

The way its reported it sounds like he's one of the few that are chasing the childhood dream. He has the luxury because he's already won flags.

No doubt the money helps though.

Which Merrett? At any rate I don't think I have ever discounted any Merrett but here is a brief list of ones in no particular order that I got wrong over the since 2005 that spring to mind:

2005 Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls: A tall (I think he was 188cm) guy that could kick (I thought) and had good pace would surely make it...wouldn't he? Was really hoping he would fall to Freo's pick (that we ended up taking Marcus Drum with).
2006 Scott Gumbleton: Went around telling everyone that as a 198cm forward that was kicking goals at WAFL seniors that he was going to be a generational forward. I also thought Clayton Collard was going to be the next Jason Akermanis.
2009 John Butcher: Wasn't too upset with Morabito, but I had spent a lot of time talking up John Butcher as a super key forward. I thought he could kick....from this draft I also thought Jack Trengrove (pick 2) could play and I did think we might have got Fyfe over Bastinac wrong, even though I liked Fyfe as a player.
2012: Josh Simpson - though he was an amazing talent....
2013: Did not rate Jeremy McGovern, did not think he had a position at AFL level, was not fit enough.
2015: Sam Durdin was the latest in a string of talls I thought would make it big time...
2016: Sam Petrevski Seton but also Will Setterfield were going to be amazing midfielders in my book. Also Harrison MacCreadie yet another tall I thought was going to be a world beater and a Top 10 pick.
2017: Adam Cerra - would have picked him as no.1 for this draft, was massively impressed by his abilities. Is not anywhere the player I thought he could be though in reality.
2018: Max King - Some people will be confused with this, but argued at the time that I didn't rate him, couldn't kick, would probably break down a lot (that bit is probably true) and didn't think he was that fast. Not worth a Top 10 pick. Also didn't rate Bobby Hill, too small, kicking was erratic and not dedicated enough for AFL level.
2019: Chad Warner - not that many did but I didn't rate him, didn't think he could kick and didn't look that mobile and didn't think he was AFL quality. On flipside, I also really rated Liam Henry; absolutely thought he should go where he went draft wise and could be a Top 5 of this draft.
2020: I never spoke much about it, but I did not rate Errol Gulden, again didn't think he had the capability to be anything more than a bit player. Also did not think Josh Treacy would amount to anything.
2021: (Whilst I was a big advocate for Jye Amiss) Neil Erasmus was in my Top 3 for this draft (I picked him in the BigFooty Draft with a pick as such. Next coming of Nat Fyfe. Van Rooyen has played a lot better than I thought as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you notice how there was no fumbling from Geelong. Clean, one touch, and burst from stoppage with support a handball away.
Our blokes need to lift in a large way to be taking on Geelong in a final. Freddie etc just fumble way too much to be contenders
I noticed Port’s pressure wasn’t there. It dropped between our game and the final. Makes it easier to be clean.

Clean is clean.
If Freddie was clean he'd be about the most damaging mid size forward in the game.
He needs to believe, and work hard.
Could say that about at least half the list, but they don't have the natural gifts that Freddie has got

Clean is clean.
Mind Blown GIF

On this. Martin has just failed to get up for the Blues final tomorrow due to an ongoing hamstring injury. So Fremantle’s medicos flew over to Melbourne and tested Martins fitness while he is still injured? What did they do exactly, count his fingers and toes to make sure he had 10 of each?

Did you notice how there was no fumbling from Geelong. Clean, one touch, and burst from stoppage with support a handball away.
Our blokes need to lift in a large way to be taking on Geelong in a final. Freddie etc just fumble way too much to be contenders

Did you notice Port? I mean literally, did you notice them? They didn’t turn up.

Sure, Geelong were great but it was like watching us v Melbourne in Alice Springs.

Can only play as well as opposition allow.

Port were putrid.

Did you notice Port? I mean literally, did you notice them? They didn’t turn up.

Sure, Geelong were great but it was like watching us v Melbourne in Alice Springs.

Can only play as well as opposition allow.

Port were putrid.
Kinda infuriating (for their fans too I'm sure) watching them pressure out of their skins in what was essentially a dead rubber for them and then come out in a home final and serve up that shit.

I initially wasn't opposed to the idea of Martin. Obviously has talent, just constantly injured. But now I'm just not sure we have the list spots.

Currently we're linked to:
Bolton - must get.
Pickett - seemingly caught us off-guard, get if no Warner.
Warner - only an option this year if Swans win the flag.
Baker - would only grab if two of the above three fall through, but you'd take him for the right price.
Rosas - probably a back up option, worth keeping an eye on.
Richards - seemingly Port bound.

Currently out of contract we have:
Emmett - would be a ruthless call to cut him. Has some nice attributes, but his disposal is a killer. If he can't at least tidy it up, he won't make it. I'm hoping it's fatigue based and will settle as he gets fitter, but we'll see.
O'Driscoll - must sign. Huge upside and a Freo supporter, I'll be gutted if we lose Driz.
Hughes - goneski, would expect us to look for a medium defender in the draft.
Taberner - goneski, thanks Tabs.
Corbett - bless this guy trying to make it back from a hip replacement, but it's not the time for us to be carrying nice guys.
Knobel - the elephant in the room, unsigned and my pick for shock trade request.

Potentially tough calls to make:
Fyfe - think he has one more year if he is fit for a good pre-season.
Walters - I think it's time for Sonny, unfortunately. Shame, but can any of us see him having a Rocky-montage pre-season?
Brodie - could be dumped, any sides need a mature inside mid?
Delean - obvious talent, but is he putting in the work required?

Just going off the obvious delistings we've got:
Taberner - Bolton, most certain trade imo.
Corbett - Warner/Pickett/Baker/Rosas/Martin
Hughes - Draft pick A

We need to take three Draft picks, but we can also upgrade rookies, so potentially:
Knobel - Draft pick B
Emmett - upgrade Sharp

Potentially trade Brodie if we want to cut harder, but I don't expect us to have enough worthwhile Draft picks if we trade in two players.

A lot to consider before we even get to our rookie list:
Sharp - could see him upgraded if we don't think it's worth taking a third Draft pick, although we're usually inclined to.
Worner - keep where he is for now.
Jones - hopefully keep him but concussions are a concern.
Voss - keep where he is.
Reidy - hopefully keep where he is, but could be tempted home.
Kuek - I think we all like the feel-good story, he's obviously very popular amongst the group, but I wouldn't be surprised if we cut him.
Stanley - I like him but I'm worried injuries might have robbed him of his chance, hopefully we persevere.
Draper - keep him on the B list another year, nice bonus for the list.
Williams - could definitely see us cutting him, with or without the rumoured third spot.

Port's forward line was putrid.
Georgiadies - 1 goal
Rioli - 1 goal
Ratugolea - donuts
Dixon - donuts
Considering their midfield dominance Ports forwards were really bad against us too I know Rioli got 3 goals but one of them was from a terrlble umpiring decision and one other was from a lucky miss kick he marked. Outside of those two goals
Georgiadies, Ratugolea, Visenti and Rioli's (1 non lucky goal) combined for 4 goals against us too.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets

Back