List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure how we're going to bring in ANB, Luko, Cumming plus pick 4, Welsh and a 3rd draftee (ruck?) with all these re-signings.
You'd think we'd keep Bond. McHenry, Gollant, Sloane are all definitely gone. Burgess, Hberg and Keane maybe. Dropping 2 Smith, Tex, Sberg etc) to the rookie list might be the only way. Hamill I'd keep and delist Parnell off the rookie list which means 2 of Burgess, Hberg, Keane have to go.
Seems like we're hamstringing our ability to get deals done / bring in players if they become available. Or we've decided the price for Luko is too high already and/or have some players we're trading out eg Laird (might make sense to keep berry in this case)

Not sure how we're going to bring in ANB, Luko, Cumming plus pick 4, Welsh and a 3rd draftee (ruck?) with all these re-signings.
You'd think we'd keep Bond. McHenry, Gollant, Sloane are all definitely gone. Burgess, Hberg and Keane maybe. Dropping 2 Smith, Tex, Sberg etc) to the rookie list might be the only way. Hamill I'd keep and delist Parnell off the rookie list which means 2 of Burgess, Hberg, Keane have to go.
Seems like we're hamstringing our ability to get deals done / bring in players if they become available. Or we've decided the price for Luko is too high already and/or have some players we're trading out eg Laird (might make sense to keep berry in this case)
Trading Laird would be fantastic.

Schoenberg and Strachan are the most likely candidates IMO. No risk that another club would be remotely interested in either of them.

Disagree with Schoey, has shown a bit and a club might think they can get more out of him than us. Don't know enough about other club's ruck depth to comment on Strachan, but it is a niche position. The most obvious is Smith because he's now putrid. Tex less obvious due to still having something in the tank and could turn games when right, but who'd take him knowing he's not moving and will just retire?

Isn't it minimum 3 draftees?
Or would we delist Bond and redraft him.
It's a minimum of 3x ND selections - though rookie upgrades count towards the total.

While it's conceivable that Turray and/or Borlase could be upgraded, I'd say it's highly unlikely.

Assuming we have no rookie upgrades, we need to take the minimum 3x ND selections.

Shoenberg moving to rookie list makes plenty of sense. Quickly getting passed by younger players. Him & Smith possibly? Max of 6 rookies and we already have Hamill, Borlase, Keane & Toby Murray. Assuming Parnell gets moved in

Highly likely we're pushing 2 players from the senior list to the rookie list. Strachan, Schoenberg & Smith being the most obvious candidates.

It's a minimum of 3x ND selections - though rookie upgrades count towards the total.

While it's conceivable that Turray and/or Borlase could be upgraded, I'd say it's highly unlikely.

Assuming we have no rookie upgrades, we need to take the minimum 3x ND selections.
Yeah no way Turray and Borlase get upgraded. You'd rather the draft pick.
Guess we will just have to wait and see, I wouldn't be surprised if a Schoenberg, Strachan or Smith get demoted to the rookie list.

I am curious as to what happens with curtins knee. Since that injury his movement has always looked hampered, some days worse than others. Even when walking. Will he get surgery or is this something he’s had for a while? Surely we would have done our due diligence?
Noticed Dan wasn't wearing any strapping on his knee vs Sydney and he appeared (to me anyway) deceptively faster than I expected on a couple of occasions

Isn't it minimum 3 draftees?
Or would we delist Bond and redraft him.
I wouldn't be delisting/re-drafting Bond. The odds of another club gazumping us are just too high.

You do that with players you don't mind losing, and who are unlikely to be of interest to another club - Strachan, Schoenberg & Smith are ideal.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be delisting/re-drafting Bond. The odds of another club gazumping us are just too high.

You do that with players you don't mind losing, and who are unlikely to be of interest to another club - Strachan, Schoenberg & Smith are idea.
I agree. He's shown too much late this year to risk that. I have him as straight up best 22 next year even if we get 3 seniors in.

Shoenberg moving to rookie list makes plenty of sense. Quickly getting passed by younger players. Him & Smith possibly? Max of 6 rookies and we already have Hamill, Borlase, Keane & Toby Murray. Assuming Parnell gets moved in
When you say it's a maximum of 6 - that's dependent on the number of players you have on the main list.

Drafting Turray in the MSD took us to +1 relative to the overal maximum list size.

Delisting Hamill & Parnell, but retaining Borlase, Keane & Turray, only leaves us with 1 usable vacancy on the rookie list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Minimum of 3 changes to the senior list

I think technically we could take ANB, Cumming and Luko and not draft anyone
No, trades do not count towards the total.

It's a minimum of 3x selections at the ND, though rookie upgrades count towards the total.

All good everyone, I have it sorted.

Our Future 1st to Gold Coast for Lukosius and Pick 20.

Go to draft with Pick 4, Pick 20

Draper/Lalor with Pick 4, Dodson with Pick 20, Welsh with points.

Easy.

I'm confused as to how we actually get ANB, Lukosius, Cumming, 3 draftees in.
Presumably Bond would have to be delisted and rookied.
Keane is a rookie isn't he? So even if he was traded we'd still have the same spots available.
Smith or Strachan moved to rookie list?
In: ANB, Luko, Cumming, 4, 2nd, Welsh; Turray*, Smith, Strachan
Out: Sloane*, McHenry, Gollant, Burgess/Himmelberg, Smith, Strachan; Hamill, Parnell, Keane

Highly likely we're pushing 2 players from the senior list to the rookie list. Strachan, Schoenberg & Smith being the most obvious candidates.
So if we do that, plus McHenry, Gollant, Sloane, Parnell are delisted / retired, re-sign Bond, how many of Burgess, Hberg and Keane do we have to get rid of to have room for 3 x ND picks, ANB, Cumming and Luko (assuming those things happen)? Is it 2? Or all 3 if we keep Hamill as well?

Like good on Bez for adding two more years to his AFL career, but I don’t like this

1) one less list spot
2) he’s obviously rated as one of our best 26 or so players by Nicks (despite his obvious flaws), so will continue to get games over those with higher ceilings

Maybe 1 of Laird or Crouch being nudged. Just kidding, I'm sure we'll hear the 'good' news about their extensions soon.

Down to just five uncontracted senior list players

McHenry
Gollant
Burgess (probably)
Bond
Himmelberg

Plus Sloane retired

Not exactly keeping a lot of list spots open to turn over the list and bring in new players

Why would we want to turn over our list, they reckon we're in contending phase. Just a couple of additions + organic growth and we're back competing for the bottom part of the 10. We need to hold onto as much depth as possible.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back