List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You're dreaming if you think money is a reason for that decision. We happily would have offered whatever he wanted, as would have a few Vic clubs.

He got a very good deal to stay, and the vast majority of players would do the same in his position.
He did get a good deal from the lions, but what if a club blew that out the water and he was leaving $2-$3 million on the table say..where does the line between loyalty and economic prudence get drawn

That 2021 draft of Rachele, Soligo, Taylor, and Nank could be the one that sets us up for contention in a few years. Assuming Taylor comes on all 4 look potentially elite.
The Phil Harper impact :) and don’t forget Captain Fantastic in a very cheap trade also.

2022 with our best player for the remainder of the decade taken at 5 and then Max later first round. Plus Dowling who looks promising.

And 2023 yet to be proven but may be the best of the lot

Hamish has had an excellent last few years. It was the 5 years from around 2015 onwards where things are bleak.

There is every chance we will end up with no one of note coming in, maybe a fringe player from somewhere we never heard about - all the better free agents won't be coming here me thinks.. But to me thats ok if it means we retain our draft capital and get in the talent that way
What good free agents are even left? Bugger all IMO unless talking ridiculously overpriced Battle and Perryman.

Perhaps we target Callaghan, or similar, with a 6 years x 1m (or more) type deal and finally get an elite non SA guys to choose us. Will need to then pony up a couple of first rounders (ideally 25 and 26) and take Draper this year.

Callaghan, Draper, Dawson, Rankine, Soligo - with Rachele and Pedlar hopefully - would be near leagues best

What good free agents are even left? Bugger all IMO unless talking ridiculously overpriced Battle and Perryman.

Perhaps we target Callaghan, or similar, with a 6 years x 1m (or more) type deal and finally get an elite non SA guys to choose us. Will need to then pony up a couple of first rounders (ideally 25 and 26) and take Draper this year.

Callaghan, Draper, Dawson, Rankine, Soligo - with Rachele and Pedlar hopefully - would be near leagues best
Isaac Cumming is probably our best bet now.

Isaac Cumming is probably our best bet now.
Yep.. throw $900k a year for 5 at him..

I couldnt give a fxxk if thats too much.. what else are we to spend our spare cap coin on?.

Front load it.

$900k this year is what $700k a year was last year before the salary cap increase.

Just pay it..

He was one of their better players against us on Saturday night..
I reckon he’d make a good CB mid.. but no matter what.. hes a better HB than Laird, jones, smith or milera..

Get tex to present him with the crows number 13 guernsey..

I heard a rumour on SEN this morning that St Kilda is happy to release Phillipou at end of season to come back to Adelaide & to be traded to the Crows!
Any truth behind this rumour?

The Phil Harper impact :) and don’t forget Captain Fantastic in a very cheap trade also.

2022 with our best player for the remainder of the decade taken at 5 and then Max later first round. Plus Dowling who looks promising.

And 2023 yet to be proven but may be the best of the lot

Hamish has had an excellent last few years. It was the 5 years from around 2015 onwards where things are bleak.
Excellent? Bit of mayo there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps some Mayo lite

How would you rate 2021 (4 draftees and Dawson and Murray early 21) and 2022 (Rankine, Max and Dowling and Keane Jan 23)?

Give me a scale of 1-10 old mate? I am giving it a 9 or excellent (Mayo included)
2021 was an excellent year, but Dawson is a trade not a draft pick, Dawson was a sure thing.

2022 Rankine again trade, sure thing. Max F/S and Dowling looks good.

2023 too early but question marks.

So you weren’t including 2020 and 23.

2021 was an excellent year, but Dawson is a trade not a draft pick, Dawson was a sure thing.

2022 Rankine again trade, sure thing. Max F/S and Dowling looks good.

2023 too early but question marks.

So you weren’t including 2020 and 23.
2020 ultimately depends on TT and Pedlar, so perhaps strangely a little too early to tell. I have high hopes for both though - and yourself mate? Cook also could be a player and Berry a solid second tier midfielder. Also got Hinge for free around this time.

2023 - clearly far too early but Curtin was deemed the steal of the draft at the time.

2020 ultimately depends on TT and Pedlar, so perhaps strangely a little too early to tell. I have high hopes for both though - and yourself mate? Cook also could be a player and Berry a solid second tier midfielder. Also got Hinge for free around this time.

2023 - clearly far too early but Curtin was deemed the steal of the draft at the time.
I’m having real concerns about Pedlar, don’t think he will end up a long term mid and his kicking is sus.

Riley was pick 2, he has to be a gun, hopefully he gets there.

Cook I like but his development has been stalled and struggles to get the ball.

Berry I’m not a fan, can’t kick.

Curtin was but don’t reckon we will use him properly, Edwards not showing a lot but like Ryan.

Ultimately though we need Hamish to draft us an elite midfield and he hasn’t even with all these first rounders.

Apologies if you are being sarcastic, but it was only 2 first round picks and that was stretching the truth.

It was something like Shane McAdam and pick 20. It was the pick the club picked up as Tom Doedee compensation
Sorry, I agree.

I was being sarcastic about how everyone seemed to immediately accept the two firsts idea without the slightest questioning.

I think we probably got as far as 10 and McAdam, which was very generous and they said no.

I heard a rumour on SEN this morning that St Kilda is happy to release Phillipou at end of season to come back to Adelaide & to be traded to the Crows!
Any truth behind this rumour?

Doubt it. We didn't chase him super hard in his draft year and the Saints would want a fair bit for him.

Last edited:
Sorry, I agree.

I was being sarcastic about how everyone seemed to immediately accept the two firsts idea without the slightest questioning.

I think we probably got as far as 10 and McAdam, which was very generous and they said no.

Will be interesting to see if the club continues to chase him this trade period. No idea what his value would be.

Definitely not a top 20 pick.

Sorry, I agree.

Wasn’t generous for a very important player to them who had 2 years on a contract, if that’s all we offered it would have been dumb of us to think it would happen and waste our time.

But you’re wrong anyway

They have a distinct advantage over us though - they are a Victorian club and of the 4 that came to them, 3 are victorian with one being an ex champion of theirs in Gunston so they didn't have the state relocation factor to have to deal with and thats huge today

Players will move for opportunities and money.

We never had trouble getting guys to move in the 1990’s back when the cash was way less

You're dreaming if you think money is a reason for that decision. We happily would have offered whatever he wanted, as would have a few Vic clubs.

He got a very good deal to stay, and the vast majority of players would do the same in his position.

100%

He got enough money and enough years to make it an easy decision to stay.

No reason for him to do anything else

100%

He got enough money and enough years to make it an easy decision to stay.

No reason for him to do anything else
We talk about salaries like we're talking NBA money, but we're not. The difference in real terms between an offer from your current club (if they want to keep you) and opposition clubs is rarely big enough to be worth moving.

We talk about salaries like we're talking NBA money, but we're not. The difference in real terms between an offer from your current club (if they want to keep you) and opposition clubs is rarely big enough to be worth moving.

I’ve said that for a long time. The money is too small for one offer to really be sizeable enough for a really good player to be anywhere but where he wants to be

Exactly. Berry isn't going home and eating 2-minute noodles because he re-signed with Brisbane instead of a rival club.

Back