List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve said that for a long time. The money is too small for one offer to really be sizeable enough for a really good player to be anywhere but where he wants to be
It seems to be length of contract that is the major selling point at the present.

We're the kind of club that would double down on burning pick 6 on McAsey by trading pick 5 for Petty to replace him.

It makes no sense to trade in Petty this year, aside from if we're desperate to bring in experience.

In KPD's we have Butts and Murray
I put Worrell in his own category as KPD/3rd tall
Then Borlase and Keane as 3rd talls

Even Borlase has been more than serviceable as a KPD, and was excellent on the weekend against Liam McBean.

And we want to add Petty to that mix?

You'd feasibly only want to play with two KPD's and a 3rd tall, but successful teams have done it before with essentially 2 x 3rd talls and one KPD... (Richmond and Geelong)

Borlase IMO could seek an opportunity elsewhere, same as Keane, strike whilst the iron is hot and they have some value?

Melbourne have no reason to release Petty at all, unless of course they bring in a KPF this year. My guess is that we might be able to grab him this year at Melbournes own 2nd round pick that we got from them last year...

I think a great scenario would be to end up with Petty, Butts, Worrell, Murray, and even then you'd imagine one misses out on game day...

What's worrying is that Nicks came out and said the list doesn't need wholesale changes come the end of the year, when clearly we do..., especially if we are still looking at points for Welsh. At this stage we will surely be looking to move on at least one defender, and Berry. IMO there's scope for a massive clearout, and to collect some decent trade value.

Can you imagine going into 2025...

• Harrison Petty for Adelaide's 2nd rounder (tied to Melbourne)
  • Pick 5 - Best available mid in the draft, Lalor or Draper?
  • Isaac Cumming as an UFA
  • Bring in our 2025 draft pick for another 1st rounder before a Welsh bid (if it doesn't arrive), but don't bet on anyone taking interest until about pick 10 onwards...but just keep offering it to every club, as long as a player is still there that we like.
  • Welsh for points (makes sense to bring in 2025 for this draft if we're going to go into points deficit heading into next year)
  • Get rid of a heap of deadweight below.
  • Balme in an advisory role

= Essentially 3 x premium players from the draft and 2 x experienced players. That would be rebuild over.

NameYears ServiceStatus
4​
RE-SIGN
14​
RE-SIGN
1​
RE-SIGN
8​
TRADE
2​
DELIST
4​
TRADE/DELIST
5​
TRADE/DELIST
6​
RE-SIGN/TRADE
6​
RE-SIGN/TRADE/DELIST?
4​
DELIST
16​
RETIRED
4​
TRADE
17​
RE-SIGN
6​
RE-SIGN

It's adorable the way you say that as if you actually believe it has anything to do with whether this club would do it or not :p
I think there’s a chance that both Keane goes (if the rumours are true) and Borlase looks elsewhere for more opportunities then he’ll get here -I’d like to keep him personally as I think he’s great depth and has shown he can be a solid depth player at worse.

Then we are again looking light on for KPD and Petty becomes a more attractive prospect, at his best in defence I think he’s an upgrade on Butts, but he’s not worth anywhere near what we were reported to have offered Melbourne last year.

I think there’s a chance that both Keane goes (if the rumours are true) and Borlase looks elsewhere for more opportunities then he’ll get here -I’d like to keep him personally as I think he’s great depth and has shown he can be a solid depth player at worse.

Then we are again looking light on for KPD and Petty becomes a more attractive prospect, at his best in defence I think he’s an upgrade on Butts, but he’s not worth anywhere near what we were reported to have offered Melbourne last year.
If we can bundle up what we get for those 2 and trade it for Petty (assuming Keane has reasonable value and Borlase is marginal so we're effectively trading Keane + steak knives for Petty), I'd be all for it. If it's our first round pick or anything close to it, I'll set fire to the building.

If we can bundle up what we get for those 2 and trade it for Petty (assuming Keane has reasonable value and Borlase is marginal so we're effectively trading Keane + steak knives for Petty), I'd be all for it. If it's our first round pick or anything close to it, I'll set fire to the building.
An out of contract Borlase isn't netting us anything IMO, they just wait for him to be delisted and pick him up as DFA?
However I suspect we'll give him another contract on minimum dollars.

Keane is contracted so the Pies have to give up something decent if they want him.

It makes no sense to trade in Petty this year, aside from if we're desperate to bring in experience.

In KPD's we have Butts and Murray
I put Worrell in his own category as KPD/3rd tall
Then Borlase and Keane as 3rd talls

Even Borlase has been more than serviceable as a KPD, and was excellent on the weekend against Liam McBean.

And we want to add Petty to that mix?

You'd feasibly only want to play with two KPD's and a 3rd tall, but successful teams have done it before with essentially 2 x 3rd talls and one KPD... (Richmond and Geelong)

Borlase IMO could seek an opportunity elsewhere, same as Keane, strike whilst the iron is hot and they have some value?

Melbourne have no reason to release Petty at all, unless of course they bring in a KPF this year. My guess is that we might be able to grab him this year at Melbournes own 2nd round pick that we got from them last year...

I think a great scenario would be to end up with Petty, Butts, Worrell, Murray, and even then you'd imagine one misses out on game day...

What's worrying is that Nicks came out and said the list doesn't need wholesale changes come the end of the year, when clearly we do..., especially if we are still looking at points for Welsh. At this stage we will surely be looking to move on at least one defender, and Berry. IMO there's scope for a massive clearout, and to collect some decent trade value.

Can you imagine going into 2025...

• Harrison Petty for Adelaide's 2nd rounder (tied to Melbourne)
  • Pick 5 - Best available mid in the draft, Lalor or Draper?
  • Isaac Cumming as an UFA
  • Bring in our 2025 draft pick for another 1st rounder before a Welsh bid (if it doesn't arrive), but don't bet on anyone taking interest until about pick 10 onwards...but just keep offering it to every club, as long as a player is still there that we like.
  • Welsh for points (makes sense to bring in 2025 for this draft if we're going to go into points deficit heading into next year)
  • Get rid of a heap of deadweight below.
  • Balme in an advisory role

= Essentially 3 x premium players from the draft and 2 x experienced players. That would be rebuild over.

NameYears ServiceStatus
4​
RE-SIGN
14​
RE-SIGN
1​
RE-SIGN
8​
TRADE
2​
DELIST
4​
TRADE/DELIST
5​
TRADE/DELIST
6​
RE-SIGN/TRADE
6​
RE-SIGN/TRADE/DELIST?
4​
DELIST
16​
RETIRED
4​
TRADE
17​
RE-SIGN
6​
RE-SIGN
smith and ned.... resign.... really?
others i somewhat agree

An out of contract Borlase isn't netting us anything IMO, they just wait for him to be delisted and pick him up as DFA?

Keane is contracted so the Pies have to give up something decent if they want him.

Would he still be under Cat B or has he been elevated?

I think we'll offer him a contract on min chips too, but I think he's proven good enough to get picked up by another club, and if that's the case then he has to be traded for something. Ball's in his court I guess, but if we put a contract in front of him he either signs (and I think he's handy depth) or we get some sort of pick for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at their current list, I think Melbourne's going to be pretty desperate to keep Petty.

Steven May is 32, Jake Lever is 28, Tom McDonald is 32 in September, Adam Tomlinson is 31 in August. If that's the age profile of their current four big defenders, I don't think they have a choice. They have to keep Petty. The only other player listed as a key defender is Jed Adams, who is 20 and has never played an AFL game.

If Keane went to them in return then that could work for them, but that's the only situation I think they would accept.

3 way trade. Assuming rumours are true

Keane to Collingwood
Phillipou to the Crows
Collingwood send something to St Kilda Reef Mcinnes maybe
How does that work, Phillipou has twice maybe 3 x the value of the other two...and Reef McInnes is out of contract season's end?

Max King's price has never been lower.....

Maybe the Kid needs to get out of Melbourne, his brother looks to be excelling on the Gold Coast but poor Max is stuck at one of the shittiest clubs in the league.

Or maybe he really is a bust but a Fog Thilthorpe King Forward line would be kind of Awesome.

Does anyone think North, West Coast, and St Kilda want any of Smith, Laird, Murphy and Ned for experience etc?
West Coast look a little short on small forwards, so maybe they would go for Nedward (I doubt it though).

No team would go for any of the other three.

Back