List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Think another list change this year could be Hamill. He was delisted and rookied last year giving an idea where we obviously rated him. Could understand him wanting to move back to VIC if an opportunity arose. I have heard whispers to that affect without knowing for sure. He is also now an unrestricted free agent making him more marketable to other clubs. I'm sure we'll offer him a contract but don't think we know what he'll do until after that free agent window

Think another list change this year could be Hamill. He was delisted and rookied last year giving an idea where we obviously rated him. Could understand him wanting to move back to VIC if an opportunity arose. I have heard whispers to that affect without knowing for sure. He is also now an unrestricted free agent making him more marketable to other clubs. I'm sure we'll offer him a contract but don't think we know what he'll do until after that free agent window
If Hamill gets a two year deal from another club, I’m happy to let him walk, especially with Ryan on the way up. I’d offer him a one year deal, though

How much tall timber will we be prepared to clear in one year?

Keane and Himmelberg potentially going.

Burgess, Gollant, Strachan, Borlase all no guarantee of being there next season. Could be replaced by draftees but you'd think it would be rare for a tall draftee to be able to provide cover in Year 1.

I reckon all 4 of those listed survive next year if Keane and EH do actually go

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

On a positive note. The side that played Saturday - round 1 next year we might be hoping the following list of players are in that team

Rankine
Worrell
Hinge
Milera
Crouch
Pedlar
Curtin
Ryan
Draper
Welsh
Cumming

Which would make our bottom depth (34-40 player)

Jones
Schoenberg
McHenry
Borlase
Hamill
Strachan

Obviously we assume a couple of players will leave but highlights we may actually have some proper depth developing with the squad

On a positive note. The side that played Saturday - round 1 next year we might be hoping the following list of players are in that team

Rankine
Worrell
Hinge
Milera
Crouch
Pedlar
Curtin
Ryan
Draper
Welsh
Cumming

Which would make our bottom depth (34-40 player)

Jones
Schoenberg
McHenry
Borlase
Hamill
Strachan

Obviously we assume a couple of players will leave but highlights we may actually have some proper depth developing with the squad

don't worry about McHenry.... he would be delisted this off season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think we have missed them but we have lost games so its hard to quantify exactly
The problem with this year has been we’ve had a four-week period (R1-4) and a three-week one (R12-14) where we’ve played like dogshit, mostly due to gameplan issues. Other than that, we’ve been just as competitive as last year (which still isn’t good, considering we’d have expected to improve this year), but seven weeks of straight-up bad footy within a season is basically a death sentence

The problem with this year has been we’ve had a four-week period (R1-4) and a three-week one (R12-14) where we’ve played like dogshit, mostly due to gameplan issues. Other than that, we’ve been just as competitive as last year (which still isn’t good, considering we’d have expected to improve this year), but seven weeks of straight-up bad footy within a season is basically a death sentence
But is the lack of those players a factor or not is how I saw the question

But is the lack of those players a factor or not is how I saw the question
Nank basically replaced Milera, and has probably been just as good

Pedlar’s forward impact has basically been filled by Cook and an increased goal from Keays, while I guess Rankine/Soligo have taken the small amount of midfield minutes he would’ve got. Wash in the forward line, upgrade in the midfield

Crouch is hard to say, his void has been filled by an increase in CBAs for Berry, plus the addition of Taylor (and for one match, Max). We’ve gone 2-3 since he got injured, so maybe too small a sample size to make a call?

I'd keep Gollant either way if it's a choice, I don't know how others feel but Burgess I thought would be good depth but he's certainly not been as good as I expected even at SANFL level.
Gollant is no lock for our future 22 but it would have to be a complete list management failure to lose him because we signed a 29 year old reserves player.

I have high hopes for Dowling next year.... Has been given a good taste and block of games, starting to show a bit and will really know what he has to work on and improve over summer with another Burgess preseason.

At least that is hopefully what should happen in theory as long as he doesn't get Nicksed.....

Tex said on AFL360 that he'd most likely want to play again next year now that he's proved his fitness, and that he's in conversations with Reid and Silvers. My preference is definitely to keep him – he still offers a lot when fit and we're in danger of shedding too many talls this off-season as it is. But he can't be the #1 forward target anymore.

The big unknown here is the length of the Burgess contract. The club has never made public whether his contract was for 1, 2, or even 3 years.

Gollant is definitely out of contract, but Burgess may not be - and probably isn't, given that we traded for him, and it's unlikely he would have agreed to the trade if we were only offering a 12-month contract.

If Burgess was given 2 years (as is likely for any player traded in), then it becomes much harder to justify retaining Gollant (even on the rookie list). Having both Burgess & Gollant on the list in 2025 is untenable, given their abject failure at AFL level this year.

I agree that we should keep Gollant if both are out of contract... but what do you suggest if Burgess is contracted for 2025?
Rookie list him.

Have Milera, Crouch and Pedlar been "replaced" by any of the newer guys this year? Do we have room for them now?

Replaced. I don’t reckon. I think a fit Pedlar playing as he did last year walks into this side easily, as does Milera.
Crouch harder one to pick. I would say no but it would be a tight call

Tex said on AFL360 that he'd most likely want to play again next year now that he's proved his fitness, and that he's in conversations with Reid and Silvers. My preference is definitely to keep him – he still offers a lot when fit and we're in danger of shedding too many talls this off-season as it is. But he can't be the #1 forward target anymore.

Given it’s likely Burgess would be the third tall if Walker doesn’t play it makes sense to keep him.

We need to be really careful we don’t treat him as anything more than a third tall though.

Replaced. I don’t reckon. I think a fit Pedlar playing as he did last year walks into this side easily, as does Milera.
Crouch harder one to pick. I would say no but it would be a tight call

We’ve quickly forgotten how good Pedlar looked in 2023.

This year he had his face smashed in in round one, was idiotically played on Stewart in round two, and has had two major layoffs with his shoulder. We need to persist.

How much tall timber will we be prepared to clear in one year?

Keane and Himmelberg potentially going.

Burgess, Gollant, Strachan, Borlase all no guarantee of being there next season. Could be replaced by draftees but you'd think it would be rare for a tall draftee to be able to provide cover in Year 1.

I think Strachan will be on the list in 2025. We just appointed him Ruck Coach for our AFLW team.

That role can easily be replaced but I don't think we would of done that if we weren't expecting him to be around.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back