List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Berrys Manager:

"This year, we'd said from the start that Sam was probably just going to play the year and see how it goes and where he fits in and everything. That hasn't changed," Seccull said last month.

"We've been in constant dialogue with [Adelaide list manager] Justin Reid going through where he sits. They're really happy with how he's progressing and can see a future there. It's just a matter of timing for Sam. We'll go through that a bit later on."

Soooo its pretty clear Berry understands our clubs selection policy, i say run and dont look back Sam.
Although you've been in the team alot this year, more than likely you will be out of the team next year to accomodate Crouch and Laird.
When he wasn't picked at all last year pretty clear Berry started looking around.
Probably found a suitor 12 months ago and waiting until trade week to announce it

Sam Berrys Manager:

"This year, we'd said from the start that Sam was probably just going to play the year and see how it goes and where he fits in and everything. That hasn't changed," Seccull said last month.

"We've been in constant dialogue with [Adelaide list manager] Justin Reid going through where he sits. They're really happy with how he's progressing and can see a future there. It's just a matter of timing for Sam. We'll go through that a bit later on."

Soooo its pretty clear Berry understands our clubs selection policy, i say run and dont look back Sam.
Although you've been in the team alot this year, more than likely you will be out of the team next year to accomodate Crouch and Laird.
I was a big fan of Berry from his rookie year, right up until about this time last year. He was my avatar. Loved the way he went about it.

It’s clearly established now that he is incapable of actually getting the ball enough to be an effective AFL midfielder, and that this is never going to improve to the required level. Not only is he incapable of ever getting the ball 25-30 times in a game, but when he does get it, he’s an absolutely horrendous kick. Poor decisions by foot, AND poor execution.

He’s also slow and if he played a full 23 game season I’d expect around 8 goals and less than 10 goal assists.

His best trait by far is tackling. I’d have him comfortably in the best 5 tacklers in the league. Not just in terms of numbers of tackles, but quality of tackles.

To put it bluntly, if your only AFL-level skill is tackling, you probably shouldn’t be a regular in anyone’s 22.

If any club offered a pick around 30-35, we should take it and run.

Side note - if any club offered that for Laird we should take that and run too.

Crouch absolutely shits all over both Berry and Laird from a great height as an AFL player in 2024 and beyond.

in 2020 we didn't win a game until round 17 and were thrashed most games. We played young players in the middle and rarely got the ball out thus we always seemed to have the ball in the backline. The forwards hardly saw the ball and we rarely scored more than a goal a quarter. I doubt the forwards such as Fogarty developed much that year. We gave games to McAsey, Jones, McHenry and they lost confidence. Getting thrashed each game is not a great formula for development so there needs to be a balance of experienced and young players. I've played for teams that have been beaten by 20 plus goals and its not much fun and difficult to get the ball.
????

2020 midfield
Rory Sloane
Brad Crouch
Matt Crouch
Rory Laird
David Mackay
Paul Seedsman
Rory Atkins

TRADED or FREE AGENT
Elliot Himmelberg - free agent GWS
Sam Berry - traded
Mark Keane - traded

RETIRED
Brodie Smith
Rory Sloane

DELISTED
Ned McHenry
Lachlan Gollant
[Patrick Parnell (R)]

MOVES TO ROOKIE LIST
Keiran Strachan (or whoever)

FIRED
Scott Burns
Michael Godden
Adam Kelly

Seven main list changes

ARRIVALS
Harry Perryman/Isaac Cumming - Free Agent
Caleb Daniel - nothing pick
Developing Ruckman - future second
Three top 30 picks
Tyler Welsh - scraps from draft

Hayden Skipworth - Head of Football
Ben Rutten – Senior Assistant Coach
Brett Montgomery - Forwards Coach
Neil Balme - Claude the Crow

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was a big fan of Berry from his rookie year, right up until about this time last year. He was my avatar. Loved the way he went about it.

It’s clearly established now that he is incapable of actually getting the ball enough to be an effective AFL midfielder, and that this is never going to improve to the required level. Not only is he incapable of ever getting the ball 25-30 times in a game, but when he does get it, he’s an absolutely horrendous kick. Poor decisions by foot, AND poor execution.

He’s also slow and if he played a full 23 game season I’d expect around 8 goals and less than 10 goal assists.

His best trait by far is tackling. I’d have him comfortably in the best 5 tacklers in the league. Not just in terms of numbers of tackles, but quality of tackles.

To put it bluntly, if your only AFL-level skill is tackling, you probably shouldn’t be a regular in anyone’s 22.

If any club offered a pick around 30-35, we should take it and run.

Side note - if any club offered that for Laird we should take that and run too.

Crouch absolutely shits all over both Berry and Laird from a great height as an AFL player in 2024 and beyond.
Here is a question - why not try Berry in the Murphy role?
Make him a defensive forward. Tackle like a mad man in the F50. Occasionally be pushed up the ground etc.
Would his main attribute be useful in that role? It's not like he would be less effective than Murphy.

Surely it would be worth a try?

TRADED or FREE AGENT
Elliot Himmelberg - free agent GWS
Sam Berry - traded
Mark Keane - traded

RETIRED
Brodie Smith
Rory Sloane

DELISTED
Ned McHenry
Lachlan Gollant
[Patrick Parnell (R)]

MOVES TO ROOKIE LIST
Keiran Strachan (or whoever)

FIRED
Scott Burns
Michael Godden
Adam Kelly

Seven main list changes

ARRIVALS
Harry Perryman/Isaac Cumming - Free Agent
Caleb Daniel - nothing pick
Developing Ruckman - future second
Three top 30 picks
Tyler Welsh - scraps from draft

Hayden Skipworth - Head of Football
Ben Rutten – Senior Assistant Coach
Brett Montgomery - Forwards Coach
Neil Balme - Claude the Crow
Remember when we had a really good record of finding quality players through the rookie draft?
Why did we stop doing that? Why has it become a half way house to delisting? Such a stupid and weak thing to do. Either delist the player or don't.
Use the rookie list as a free shot at strengthening your squad.

It baffles the mind how stupid we are.

Remember when we had a really good record of finding quality players through the rookie draft?
Why did we stop doing that? Why has it become a half way house to delisting? Such a stupid and weak thing to do. Either delist the player or don't.
Use the rookie list as a free shot at strengthening your squad.

It baffles the mind how stupid we are.
That's not fair. The number of contracted players being delisted across the entire league is tiny. That's not just us, and frankly I'd rather move a contracted player to the rookie list and take another main draft pick than take a rookie.

Make him a defensive forward. Tackle like a mad man in the F50. Occasionally be pushed up the ground etc.
Would his main attribute be useful in that role? It's not like he would be less effective than Murphy.

Not fast enough. Running defenders would have a field day.

Berry just isn't good enough. Slow, fumbly, poor accumulation and can't kick for shit.

It's time we moved past guys like him, McHenry, Schoenberg and Murphy. Jones is borderline but at least is fairly versatile.

But we all know Nicks loves his scrappers.

I feel like we probably could have developed Berry into a more reliable accumulator but have failed to do so after four years, and it's now too late
I think Berry is an old school rover that thrives on work and being around the ball

The goal against Carlton highlighted (to me) his need to be around the ball

I feel like we probably could have developed Berry into a more reliable accumulator but have failed to do so after four years, and it's now too late
Talk about pushing shit uphill. He's never shown any ability to accumulate possessions, let alone become a "reliable accumulator". You might as well try turning Lachlan Murphy into a lead ruckman - you'd have the same chances of success.

By all means blame the coaches for their failures, but what you're proposing here is next to impossible.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back