List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Should the AFC offer Taylor Walker a contract for 2025?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

At this point, I guess we're looking at something like this (assuming the Burgess info is correct):

In: Cumming, ANB, Luko/Rosas (not both), 4, 25 (KPD), Welsh; Turray, Smith, Strachan
Out: Sloane, McHenry, Gollant, Himmelberg, Smith, Strachan; Parnell, Keane, Hamill

This is assuming no payouts or extra trades out (seems unlikely, at this point)

Ideally something like...

Outs:
Sloane - retired
Smith - delist/payout
Burgess - delist/payout
McHenry - delist/trade
Parnell - delist
Gollant - trade/delist
Laird - trade
Hamill - delist

Keane - keep
Himmelberg - keep

Ins:
Cumming - FA
ANB - trade
Lukosius - trade
Rosas - trade
#4 - gun midfielder
Welsh
Next pick

This adds to our depth, unlike last year.

Reid has done some things well but mostly not over the years. We are carrying too many players for a year too long which means we don't have the ability to test out youth. Not sure on reflection what the point of signing burgess was? We had Gollant for kpf depth and Borlase for kpd depth. He is undersized as a ruck/ fwd which we are also well stocked for.
The players we have on the list that can v play mid which really is only 4/5 spots in a game is :
Dawson
Crouch
Soligo
Dowling
Taylor
Schoenberg
Edwards
Laird
Rankine
Sloane
Berry
Pedlar

Very little forward options and no real ruck cover.

How was the afl supposed to know hawthorn would jump up the ladder or Melbourne and Collingwood drop down.
Our draw ended up hard but that’s too bad, the AFL can’t predict that.
We also can’t complain about our draw when we lose to Richmond and Essendon at home

Wouldn’t have mattered if we had an easy draw

If Berg's gone, we'll need to rely on relatively rapid improvement from Turray as that backup KPF/2nd ruck

He's shown good signs, but hopefully he can be at least somewhat AFL-ready next year
Imagine if we lost ROB for the year then our back up ruck in sanfl can get thru about 45 mins of senior footy before he gets tired

Then our next option could be our star key forward

Then the next guy was taken in the mid season draft and is more a forward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair point, we must’ve assumed he’d be either an upgrade, or would produce close to what EH does

We were quite wrong
I guess it's a lesson that VFL form doesn't mean much.

Gollant will probably kick 100 goals in that comp next year.

Imagine if we lost ROB for the year then our back up ruck in sanfl can get thru about 45 mins of senior footy before he gets tired

Yeah, realistically we need to find another one

But again, minimal list spots

You can use a Luko trade to put us in a position to draft Dodson, but he’ll likely get towelled up by most in year 1, too

Yeah, realistically we need to find another one

But again, minimal list spots

You can use a Luko trade to put us in a position to draft Dodson, but he’ll likely get towelled up by most in year 1, too
And wouldn’t be good for his long term

First year players are not built for 1st ruck roles unless they are absolute freaks and even then ….

In our current ruck position we would have to find an experienced ruck that could play if required, piss off Strachan and draft a rookie ruck. Let's be honest if we have a pick available that could get us Dodson we probably should be using it on another mid cause the cupboard is full of home brand. No reason we couldn't find a reasonable ruck late in draft or rookie draft

So, maybe something like this:

OUT:
Sloane (ret)
McHenry (del)
Gollant (del)
*Keane (trade)
*Hamill (del)
*Parnell (del)

Downgrade to Rookie List:
Burgess
Schoenberg

IN:
Cumming (FA)
ANB (traded)
*T. Murray (rookie list)

That gives us pick 4, pick 25 and Welsh (FS). If we want to trade in Rosas or another player, we have to move on another player (Himmelberg?) or trade away our second pick.

I can cop some criticism when I get something wrong but when I said nothing of the sort and get tagged in that I find a bit galling.

I'll stick by what I actually DID say, I can see no reason why Alex Dodson couldn't have input at AFL level in 2026 given at that stage he will have had 2 full pre-seasons to work on his endurance, strength and ruck craft as well as a full SANFL season playing against mature bodies. Alex Dodson is not some stringbean unco-ordinated 200cm kid needing years of development, this is a lad that already has a decent physique and extraordinary ball handling skills for a 200cm+ ruck prospect.
love the look of him we need to get him somehow. and an experienced ruck as well.

It appears so I'd be amazed if Alex Dodson was still there at our 2nd pick, I could see a club pouncing as early as later in the 1st round.
agree - so split out F1 into a late first this year and a late first next year
late first this year for dodson
late first next year to trade for luko

pick 26 - ANB
UFA - Cumming

take 4, late first (dodson), and points to the draft

lets face it - our F1 isn't getting the Vaccum next year anyway

I’m not sure what we expected when we never played him.
Someone playing sanfl every game is not going to be able to AFL ruck solo.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Mismanagement and Trading

Back