Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Who do you draft experts anticipate West Coast would take with their second round pick if they were to stick with home grown? What I'm getting at is for them, Gerreyn seems like the perfect replacement for Darling? But who else could they be looking at for that pick?

Honestly, WC have holes all across the field. They already have some developing talls and rucks with Archer Reid, Harry Barnett and Jack Williams who has shown a bit.

Plus they already have Waterman & Allen as their focal points. I reckon with their 2nd rounder they’d be looking at a tall defender (O’Farrell/Mraz) or trade it for Grainger-Barass/Busslinger.

I think they need more depth around the flanks at either end of the ground. I reckon if they are moving on Barass for the hawks pick. They’ll look at more flexible mids like Murphy Reid, Bo Allan, Taj Hotton, Tom Gross or Xavier Lindsay.

No, I'm with roos_fanatic08 on this one. IF we decided to split to go tall, then take the best available forwards with the first two picks and then nab the key defender rather than taking Trainor and then looking for a Kmart key forward in the late 20s. I'm just not convinced that there is much difference on the scoreboard between Trainor and Mraz.

That’s a good point.

Don’t get me wrong, I really rate Trainor but I’m not sure he ends up being a genuine tall defender at AFL level despite his height. A top 6-7 pick for a Jordan Ridley type at this stage of our rebuild isn’t ideal especially when we are crying out for a key forward.

J. Whitlock, Armstrong, Shanahan or Gerreyn are more of a pressing need.

In all likelihood a player like O’Farrell or Mraz will be available at our 2nd, and despite not much fanfare the two of them have a stack of upside.

Just on O’Farrell I know he had a few injury issues this year, but I think he’ll be a gun at AFL level. He is a beautiful kick, strong overhead mark and is a real fiery competitor (not to dissimilar to Dawson). Real natural defender in that Daniel Talia mould.

Ha ha ha ha, this could well be the most watched draft ever, apart from father/sons and Academy players, no one really knows who is going to who, well apart from the recruiters who will know what clubs are keen on certain players.
Don't be surprised if BIGFOOTY does have another meltdown, I can see, how would you say it, a couple of surprise choices or decisions made and the players taken and supporters losing their cool, be prepared and I'm talking first round only.
There is nothing more certain. North Big Footy will be a mixture of; Elated, Shattered, I can't believe, Told ya we should have split / traded back, Sack Brady, What was Dodoro thinking? etc.

One thing I know going off last years draft we will have our targets and we will aggressively try and move up / back in order to get them. We'll get some, we'll miss out others and get our 2nd or 3rd preference but when it all comes out in the wash we will have added 4 – 5 very good players to out list.

As it stands we have the following picks
2, 22, 40, 58, 65

I am assuming we will only take 4 at the ND so we should try and package up the last 3 picks to slide up the order.

With Trainor seemingly on the slide is there a world where we can obtain Trainor, Whitlock and Berry?

2, 22, 40, 58, 65

I am assuming we will only take 4 at the ND so we should try and package up the last 3 picks to slide up the order.

With Trainor seemingly on the slide is there a world where we can obtain Trainor, Whitlock and Berry?

It’s possible.

We’d have to do some serious wheeling and dealing though. Ideally you’d want three picks between 7-18 to end up with those 3 though.

I haven’t seen anything on draft/trade assistance for us this year. We must receive something decent considering we have only won 3 games this year. End of first round pick? Not lose our rookie extension of numbers? We still need help.
We received 2024 assistance last year with the caveat that if we improved this year it could be revoked so we chose to use it last year. Hence we won't be getting any assistance this year and nor should we, this is on us now.

2, 22, 40, 58, 65

one of the last 3 will be used to get River Stevens....

We received 2024 assistance last year with the caveat that if we improved this year it could be revoked so we chose to use it last year. Hence we won't be getting any assistance this year and nor should we, this is on us now.
I think having a caveat over our head last year is not right. We should get an end of first or second round pick to help us. If this was a Carlton or Collingwood situation I wouldn’t think the AFL would say no. They would come up with a solution to help this year like a 2nd rounder or 2.

2, 22, 40, 58, 65

I reckon we only take 3 picks in the national draft

And look to upgrade that 3rd pick

So we have 3 top 30 picks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100%
Bottom 2 now 5 years in a row
Only 3 wins this year

Statistically we should get something without even needing to ask
Like I mentioned previously, if we are one of the big clubs and had a year like we have then the AFL would give us another pick “because we need this big club to become competitive, it’s important to the competition” or some shit like that. Because it’s us we should be happy with a caveat last year and STFU…….well feck them

I think having a caveat over our head last year is not right. We should get an end of first or second round pick to help us. If this was a Carlton or Collingwood situation I wouldn’t think the AFL would say no. They would come up with a solution to help this year like a 2nd rounder or 2.
Whether it's right or not is up for debate but the fact is we were given 2024 assistance and we used it.

100%
Bottom 2 now 5 years in a row
Only 3 wins this year

Statistically we should get something without even needing to ask
What sucks for us is this will be the second year when there no real advantage to finishing that low. Covid draft, enough said and this years being so even. Then of course when we got one, we got played.

As for the compo the AFL has severely underestimated how hard it is for smaller Vic clubs to bring in quality with end of first round picks that must be traded.

Take Langford at 3 (presuming Richmond bid on Ashcroft at 1) and round out the midfield perfectly.

Then start trading and FAing for talls.

Take Langford at 3 (presuming Richmond bid on Ashcroft at 1) and round out the midfield perfectly.

Then start trading and FAing for talls.

As much as I wish it weren’t the case. I’m not sure if that’s a realistic option for us. It’s a hard sell to get any top end free agents coming to North.

Would you do?
North out 2 - in 7,12
Freo out 7, 12 - in Bolton
Rich in 2 - out Bolton

+ a future 2nd from Richmond with our future 3rd going back their way.

I think this outcome is very realistic as I’ve heard Richmond are very keen on a combination of Smith with Smillie/Langford.

As much as I wish it weren’t the case. I’m not sure if that’s a realistic option for us. It’s a hard sell to get any top end free agents coming to North.

Right now, sure.

But the league is already aware of just how good our midfield is.

We have the best ruck in the comp who will be AA in a few weeks, building the best midfield in the comp which will have Sheez AA, we have an AA full forward and our defence is pretty good.

Players will come to good teams playing finals - they did for us in the 90s and we even got high quality guys like Higgo FA a decade ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back