Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Gross was pretty good, seems to have a high workrate and gets a lot of it. What his draft range looking like i can see it being as early as 5-10 all the way down to 25.

Kako with another beautiful inside 50 that results in a shot on goal. I’m still surprised that he isn’t being talked about as a top 10 pick.
what do you think is the knock on him that may be leading to this lack of top 10 talk?

We should tell Brisbane we're gonna take Ashcroft with our first pick unless they do a nice pick trade with us.
As Alan said in the Hangover movie "I don't think it's illegal, it's just frowned upon" :p
Levi, would be a worthy pick 1 prospect and wouldn't be surprised if he's number 1 on Will's whiteboard, it would probably be between him and Josh and Finn.

Tom Gross was pretty good, seems to have a high workrate and gets a lot of it. What his draft range looking like i can see it being as early as 5-10 all the way down to 25.
Draft watchers on this forum Davo_27 has him at pick 20 and Smythe has him at pick 19, good midfielder who's a busy little "bee", good work rate, will be surprised if he goes 2nd round, reminds me a bit of Andrew Swallow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A standout performance by Reid and one of the best individual performances so far in this Champs series. He was especially important during a pivotal 3rd quarter stretch which Metro took control of the contest. Murphy was poised and creative with ball in hand, damaging the opposition with involvements in scoring chains as well as kicking goals himself.

Wouldn’t bank on that, particularly if they tweak criteria to allow for contract duration.

Battle I think is very likely, Zurhaar a wait and see.

The requirement is still to be in the top 10% of player contracts, don't think either should be, even with free agency inflation.

The requirement is still to be in the top 10% of player contracts, don't think either should be, even with free agency inflation.

Realize that.

But if contract duration is factored in as part of the formula it erodes even the highest ranked salary players whom are nearing feee agency.

Tim English or LDU might have previously been in that 40, but might not current be due to expiring deals/12 months left.

It’s going to favor someone with a newly minted long term deal.

Tom Gross = Wardlaw lite
Murphy Reid = Sheezel lite

They both play very similarly to our duo, but are less dominant / imposing.

I don’t really see it with Gross, he is combative, strong overhead and can find the footy, but his decision making and disposal is pretty avg. has a tendency to just throw it on the boot around the contest. In saying that he was a lot cleaner today.

what do you think is the knock on him that may be leading to this lack of top 10 talk?

I’m lead to believe it’s because he Doesn’t have crazy top end speed. Recruiters want that speed in small forwards so they can pressure at the top level.

The best performance of the Champs series so far for Moraes who's been solid and consistent without really tearing a game apart. Its probably not surprising that this was also the game in which he had his highest number of midfield rotations and was able to use his running power to burn off his opponents on the spread. He was especially effective in the second half as Metro got well on top in general play, featuring in many of their most productive passages of play and kicking a couple of goals.

I don’t really see it with Gross, he is combative, strong overhead and can find the footy, but his decision making and disposal is pretty avg. has a tendency to just throw it on the boot around the contest. In saying that he was a lot cleaner today.

I think he’s one that has all the traits but floats in and out of games. Why I make the George comparisons is that he shows similar aggression at the footy, with an ability to leap and take overhead marks. He has a similar running gait and even similar kicking actions. As well as being the same size.

I think, though, that oftentimes I don’t leave the games having noticed Gross as much, whereas Wardlaw you can rarely point to a game where he doesn’t catch the eye every time he’s near it.

Ultimately, Gross probably goes from 15-25 and will have to ply his trade as an energizing smaller half forward, in the same ilk as Kai Lohmann, in his first few years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back