List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

The money is irrelevant in my opinion, it's the draft cost that's important. We could pay him $3mil of it next year and still be under the cap.

I'm sick of paying 92% and losing, let's get some good players in.

The money may not be irrelevant. 1.5mil is huge $. If you're LDU looking at that, what are you thinking when it comes to your own negotiation?

We still have to resign some big names/ early draft picks. A lot of players coming out of contract at the end of next year.

Plus it would be nice to have something up our sleeve to offer Balta very good coin at the end of next year.

I'm very keen for Houston, but I don't see this deal getting done now.

The only way I see this working is if Richmond are targeting multiple players in next years draft.
They're supposedly getting all these top end picks in this year from their exodus. Unless we can bring our F1 in to this year and get fair value, we cant hit the draft and get Houston

The point of getting Parker is he actually some you-know-what in him. We haven’t had a decent player with that quality for a long time.

He has also played in heaps of crucial games. Putting aside Sydney’s grand finals, they have played in tonnes of tense H&A games and caused plenty of upsets. We need that experience.

LDU may be 26, but who has he learned from? Higgins predominantly. LDU still plays like a kid despite moving into his prime years. Same with Larkey.

Meh, we hadn’t had anyone to cover McKay, and still haven’t had anyone to replace Boomer. They’ll be fine.

Plus, don’t they have Bergman as someone who plays similar?

Bergman more the 3rd tall with woeful kick but have Farrell Evans Williams wherever he has gone

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I read one article saying that he is contracted on that for next year and how it leaves GoDogs with the upper hand - I thought the opposite. Not convinced he is worth that on an open market, certainly not with a trade involved as well. If anything it devalues him.
It depends which club writes the article for the journalist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So going to the club you barracked for as a kid is a thing... unless it's North Melbourne?

Good to see Collingwood's fluid cap on show.
It requires some quantum physics thinking to understand how Carlton are paying the enormous fees for their players. If we just don’t think about the 800,000 we are paying Zach Williams or the 600,000 we are paying Acres or the 700,000 we are paying Saad, we can just use that money in a bid to lure Houston.

Jokes aside, you do have to feel for our list and recruiting guys.

I am 110% convinced on which clubs are making a mockery of the cap. I mean the AFL retrenched the cap watchdog during Covid!

So unless we can offer incredible opportunity to a player or almost guaranteed odds of contending, there are a bank of clubs in Melbourne we'll never match going head to head.

Look at mid 2010s when we had pushed to contending yet lost every player chase to Collingwood or Carlton who were flopping around low to mid table.

Did the players like their cafes better?
I guess the flipside is that our player retention over the past couple years would have be among the highest in the league.

Would be hard to attract elite talent to a club like ours, but we're doing a lot better at keeping good players than many clubs much higher up the ladder.

I wish the AFLPA would publish the results from the club-by-club player satisfaction survey they do. For all the lack of Cotton On and Hungry Jacks franchises we can offer, we must do pretty well there.

Anyone who watched Brisbane win last week and is still primarily hung up on small forwards as "the" solution to football in 2025 is kidding themselves. Outside of Daniher missing his own boot because the Earth's orbit moved by the time the football went from his hand to his foot the single biggest attribute Brisbane showed all day was an absolute master class in footskills. They torched the ladder leading team with a near on perfect display of weighted kicking and smart, aggressive decision making.

Footskills combined with the gut running to give players the opportunity to use them are where we will win finals.

And by the way I say that as a supporter that has been adamant for a while that we need at least 1-2 small forwards onto the list and arguably in the 23 on the day as well.
It was a masterclass we haven’t seen since the 2006-2009 cats. Cut them to ribbons.

I wish the AFLPA would publish the results from the club-by-club player satisfaction survey they do. For all the lack of Cotton On and Hungry Jacks franchises we can offer, we must do pretty well there.

I guess that carrot of being able to sniff the windows of Nick Theodossi Prestige Cars has to pay off sometime

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back