Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

From today’s showing, we desperately need:

• A smart contested marking CHF
  • A smart mid/wing who can run all day and can make good decisions.
  • A smart full-back with neat skills that can help transition away from Corr
  • A zippy goal sneak who can get 1-4 tackles inside fifty each week.

I think that we need a mid-sized Backman who can quarterback from defense, without being a walk over when defending. Maybe that's Duursma. But I don't know.

The zippy goal sneak might be Hansen by the end of the year.

Today also showed that another premo mid wouldn't go to waste. Particularly one with some physical/defensive presence. Without Wardlaw we struggled.

From today’s showing, we desperately need:

• A smart contested marking CHF
  • A smart mid/wing who can run all day and can make good decisions.
  • A smart full-back with neat skills that can help transition away from Corr
  • A zippy goal sneak who can get 1-4 tackles inside fifty each week.
Colby McKercher can fill this role next season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need more, so that we can pick the form players. We won’t be getting anywhere when our kids perform as they did today. We looked like we did in the first half of the year.
Agree that we need depth but I don’t think that mid / wing role is as big a need as other positions, we can’t fix everything in one trade / draft period.

I don’t think we looked like did in the first half of the year if we did it would have been a 10+ goal loss.

Smillie doesn’t look at all like he plays
like Bont IMO. Other than his height, which I don’t think he really uses to his advantage. Bont is a pretty special player. Rarely makes a mistake.

Smillie is far more Bont than he is Cripps/Green.

In terms of his agility, outside ability etc. he’s quite Bont like on occasion.

Doesn’t have the same disposal, not the same aerially.

But there’s a lot more similarities between Smillie and Bont than others

Today was absolutely a day I though, “Josh Smillie would be good right about now” when Bont and the Dogs midfield were running amok

He’s a physical point of difference that can change games.

Smillie is far more Bont than he is Cripps/Green.

In terms of his agility, outside ability etc. he’s quite Bont like on occasion.

Doesn’t have the same disposal, not the same aerially.

But there’s a lot more similarities between Smillie and Bont than others

Today was absolutely a day I though, “Josh Smillie would be good right about now” when Bont and the Dogs midfield were running amok

He’s a physical point of difference that can change games.
What quality do you see Smillie having to counter Bont today?

I'm not disagreeing. I haven't watched Smillie much. I know that he's tall but I don't think that Bont was beating us with size.

I'm not disagreeing. I haven't watched Smillie much. I know that he's tall but I don't think that Bont was beating us with size.
Bont is the best player in the game, not because of his size IMO….his footy IQ is off the charts.

Bont was beating us with size.

He was walking through every single tackle with ease.

Smillie blows hot and cold with some of his defensive running, but he’s generally a force around the stoppage, even if he sits slightly wide of the pure inside.

A 6”5, 95kg midfielder that is more than quick enough over 5-10 would have been kind of good in situations like yesterday.

I do like others in this draft, but you have to be fair, yesterday was exactly an example of where Smillie fits in this side.

We had no one physically capable of going with Bont, even Wardlaw would have probably bounced off of him. We couldn’t stand or tag him with Phillips.

Smillie is a unicorn midfield type and he does have a Bont like ceiling with some of his plays.

Smillie is ALOT thicker through the core and hips than both Bont and Cripps were at 18, there’s a chance he’s a 100kg mid at 25 years of age, which is about 5kg heavier than Cripps is currently.

Last edited:
I'd have key forward at the top of the needs list. Gerryn and Faull I really like. M Whitlock is such a baby giraffe.
Nichols, Shanahan, Sims options as well. I don't really care. Just want at least one.

A crafty forward out of Kako/Berry/Alger/Champion/Bradley would go nicely along with River later pick I'm guessing.

I like Allan and Langford as taller mids. Unfortunately, Bo Allan's kicking action reminds me a bit of Darcy Tucker's in it's awkwardness/rawness. Urqhuart a bit underwhelming today.

We need that athletic 190-194cm interceptor in the mould of a Travaglia or O'Farrell to replace Corr long term.

Another 198cm plus defender is needed on the depth chart as well. But probably not as urgent this year.

Bit more run on the wings/half back wouldn't go astray either, but can't fix it all in one draft.

Also don't mind that Rodriguez kid in next year's draft. Hayes and Hamish Davis I quite like as well.

I'd have key forward at the top of the needs list. Gerryn and Faull I really like. M Whitlock is such a baby giraffe.
Nichols, Shanahan, Sims options as well. I don't really care. Just want at least one.

A crafty forward out of Kako/Berry/Alger/Champion/Bradley would go nicely along with River later pick I'm guessing.

I like Allan and Langford as taller mids. Unfortunately, Bo Allan's kicking action reminds me a bit of Darcy Tucker's in it's awkwardness/rawness. Urqhuart a bit underwhelming today.

We need that athletic 190-194cm interceptor in the mould of a Travaglia or O'Farrell to replace Corr long term.

Another 198cm plus defender is needed on the depth chart as well. But probably not as urgent this year.

Bit more run on the wings/half back wouldn't go astray either, but can't fix it all in one draft.

Also don't mind that Rodriguez kid in next year's draft. Hayes and Hamish Davis I quite like as well.

If Travaglia keeps going the way he is, he will jump right into the top 10, potentially even higher.

It’s not unprecedented to start in that type of role in defence with stints all around the ground and then in the middle to end up right at the pointy end of the draft.

Callum Mills was similar. Hayden Young another

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back