Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Then you would have to seriously consider it. Would we rather have one of say Smillie/FOS/Smith/Draper/Trainor vs. two of Langford/Travaglia/Berry and Shanahan/M.Whitlock/Gerreyn/Faull.

I'll take the second option thanks

July - Twomey
1​
Levi Ashcroft
2​
Josh Smillie
3​
Finn O'Sullivan
4​
Harvey Langford
5​
Murphy Reid
6​
Jagga Smith
7​
Luke Trainor
8​
Sam Lalor
9​
Sid Draper
10​
Bo Allan
11​
Leonardo Lombard
12​
Taj Hotton
13​
Tobie Travaglia
14​
Harry Armstrong
15​
Isaac Kako
16​
Xavier Lindsay
17​
Joe Berry
18​
Jack Whitlock
19​
Cooper Hynes
20​
Tom Gross
21​
Samuel Marshall
22​
Christian Moraes
23​
Alex Dodson
24​
Alix Tauru
25​
Harrison Oliver
26​
Matt Whitlock
27​
Jobe Shanahan
28​
Jonty Faull
29​
Thomas Sims
30​
Noah Mraz

Looks like like we'll have some quality talls available at our 2nd pick.

Interesting, no Camporeale twins, no Tyler Welsh and no O'Farrell.

If Trainor is still rated 5-9 by draft night, for the love of god Brady please split the pick.

Gold Coast will 100% need to get in early for Lombard.

its literally there for us on a platter.
Assuming we want him that badly. We could be dead keen on O'Sullivan or Smillie.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

O'Sullivan is the likely one the club would be keeping the pick for imo.

He trained at the club over the summer, they had a good look at him for two weeks, would have athletically measured, tested etc him, observed him in far more detail than they would in all the post season interviews.

He fills a need and compliments our midfield mix.

Trading a top 5 F1 wasn't really a consideration for me but it might be a little more palatable if Freo pick 7 or GC pick 8 is part of the deal and we get another asset inside 25 and bring two kids in 12 months earlier.
I'm sure a few teams might be weighing up the same thing as well as sliding back if there's a trade partner.
I guess we'd have to really want one of Trainor/Travaglia/Armstrong/Lalor/Draper/Whitlock/Berry/Lindsay etc.

Sid Draper a very token selection.

21 disposals, 1 tackle a game and didn't kick a goal.

Bo Allen another, he was impressive, but one of the starting mids? No.

The AA team is usually a joke, this is no exception.

Smillie deserved to miss, but he was arguably as good as Draper and Allen.
Urquhart, Artemis and Ivisic very very stiff.

If the draft policy is best available...again who is the best available? Judging Twomey, ESPN and Centralme's ranking's, aside from Smith, Ashcroft and Lombard; one can make a case for any of the players in the top 10 to be our first pick?
We probably won't know until all junior leagues are finished to get clearer picture - which rep footy started now as oppose to early in the season...finishing in July is very anticlimatic be great if it started in July and finished off in mid August before all the U18 finals, then we'll get proper representive talent .

What year can Tassie start pillaging the draft ?
2027 since they are joining in 2028.
Quote from The Age "The Tasmanian team will have four or five first-round draft picks in three drafts from 2027, but will have to trade some of those picks to bring in experienced talent".

A couple of questions for those who've watched this crop closely. At first glance at Twomeys top 30, and the stats and highlights I've seen of various players who've popped up with excellent games at various stages, seems to be a very deep draft. Do people think that is actually the case, or is it more of a case of being even without a really clear #1 and top echelon of players separating themselves from others? Be that as it may be, thoughts on taking best available (probably a mid with our first) vs splitting which could possibly net us the best rated key forward AND small forward in this draft to address needs (given Clarko's comments re key forward).....or be happy to take a key forward at our second pick, in that not enough seperating Armstrong, Sims, Whitlock, Faull etc?

If the draft policy is best available...again who is the best available? Judging Twomey, ESPN and Centralme's ranking's, aside from Smith, Ashcroft and Lombard; one can make a case for any of the players in the top 10 to be our first pick?
We probably won't know until all junior leagues are finished to get clearer picture - which rep footy started now as oppose to early in the season...finishing in July is very anticlimatic be great if it started in July and finished off in mid August before all the U18 finals, then we'll get proper representive talent .

2027 since they are joining in 2028.
Quote from The Age "The Tasmanian team will have four or five first-round draft picks in three drafts from 2027, but will have to trade some of those picks to bring in experienced talent".

Can't you just see Geelong moving on someone like Collarjazzknee to Tassie and getting back pick 5.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jagga Tigers bound?​

SMITH TO GET VFL TASTE

TOP DRAFT prospect Jagga Smith will play for Richmond's VFL side over the next month after a stellar under-18 campaign for Vic Metro.

Smith was named skipper of the All-Australian team after captaining Vic Metro to its title win and has averaged 35 disposals for the Oakleigh Chargers this season.

DRAFT HUB Click here for the latest draft news

The 18-year-old finished year 12 at Scotch College last year so is able to play for the Tigers' VFL side for a block of time in coming weeks in a measure to help prepare him for the step up to AFL level.

He is expected to play with the Tigers' VFL side for three games over the next block and then return to the Chargers' side late in the year.

Smith is a local to the Tigers, playing at the Richmond Junior Football Club as a youngster, and clubs see him as a top-10 selection among an even top group. – Callum Twomey

Last edited:
RankCal Twomey AFL July RankingsJasper Chellappah ESPN July Rankings
1Levi AshcroftSid Draper
2Josh SmillieJagga Smith
3Finn O'SullivanLeonardo Lombard
4Harvey LangfordFinn O'Sullivan
5Murphy ReidJosh Smillie
6Jagga SmithSam Lalor
7Luke TrainorLevi Ashcroft
8Sam LalorTobie Travaglia
9Sid DraperLuke Trainor
10Bo AllanHarvey Langford
11Leonardo LombardXavier Lindsay
12Taj HottonJoe Berry
13Tobie TravagliaTaj Hotton
14Harry ArmstrongIsaac Kako
15Isaac KakoBo Allan
16Xavier LindsayMurphy Reid
17Joe BerryAlex Dodson
18Jack WhitlockJobe Shanahan
19Cooper HynesChristian Moraes
20Tom GrossHarry Armstrong
21Samuel MarshallBen Camporeale
22Christian MoraesKayle Gerreyn
23Alex DodsonJack Whitlock
24Alix TauruSamuel Marshall
25Harrison OliverJonty Faull
26Matt WhitlockTom Gross
27Jobe ShanahanHarry O'Farrell
28Jonty FaullMatt Whitlock
29Thomas SimsCooper Hynes
30Noah MrazHamish Davis
Is there a name on those lists where both judges have consensus? It looks like a crap-shoot.

A couple of questions for those who've watched this crop closely. At first glance at Twomeys top 30, and the stats and highlights I've seen of various players who've popped up with excellent games at various stages, seems to be a very deep draft. Do people think that is actually the case, or is it more of a case of being even without a really clear #1 and top echelon of players separating themselves from others? Be that as it may be, thoughts on taking best available (probably a mid with our first) vs splitting which could possibly net us the best rated key forward AND small forward in this draft to address needs (given Clarko's comments re key forward).....or be happy to take a key forward at our second pick, in that not enough seperating Armstrong, Sims, Whitlock, Faull etc?
I'm no draft expert but it looks deeper than last year. I like a lot more of the talent in the 15-40 range than last year.
I think a lot will depend on what the offers are to slide back and if its worth it.

I'm no draft expert but it looks deeper than last year. I like a lot more of the talent in the 15-40 range than last year.
I think a lot will depend on what the offers are to slide back and if its worth it.
Could it also be that this draft class just ain’t that good. I hope not, and don’t think that, but worth pondering. There’s always underwhelming years when looked back on

Could it also be that this draft class just ain’t that good. I hope not, and don’t think that, but worth pondering. There’s always underwhelming years when looked back on
or could be 30 top 5 picks! ill reserve my judgement till 3 games into their career

The more I watch him, the more I really like Langford.

Could he become a Vlastuin or Shannon Hurn type roos_fanatic08 ?

O'Sullivan is the likely one the club would be keeping the pick for imo.

He trained at the club over the summer, they had a good look at him for two weeks, would have athletically measured, tested etc him, observed him in far more detail than they would in all the post season interviews.

He fills a need and compliments our midfield mix.
Yep, and people sometimes forget that clubs have been watching these players for years. Players tend to drop due to bad injuries or personality concerns or if their initial ranking was more speculative and it doesn't play out.

They probably won't drop FOS down their orders based on the last two games.

It would be good, but I think they try to get it out of the way relatively early so that 1. It doesn’t disrupt the kids focus towards end of year 12 exams and 2. Doesn’t disrupt the Coates league finals.

The more I watch him, the more I really like Langford.

Could he become a Vlastuin or Shannon Hurn type roos_fanatic08 ?

I was thinking Will Day. Looks a player

Have seen him play across half back in the Coates league and he looks more than comfortable across there. In fact he probably has the most versatility of the top midfielders as he has shown he can play deep forward or on a wing (his academy game earlier in the year was fantastic and he predominantly played wing that game).

LB2Snake nailed it, little bit of Will Day with how he goes about it, probably doesn’t quite have Day’s agility though. Will end up more of a physical specimen compared to Day too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back