Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Could it also be that this draft class just ain’t that good. I hope not, and don’t think that, but worth pondering. There’s always underwhelming years when looked back on
Well only time will tell if the draft class is good or not. The top 4 bracket is not as elite perhaps compared to last years crop but the talent later on looks better to me. Last year had a lot of rucks in that draft, probably says a fair bit lol.

Have seen him play across half back in the Coates league and he looks more than comfortable across there. In fact he probably has the most versatility of the top midfielders as he has shown he can play deep forward or on a wing (his academy game earlier in the year was fantastic and he predominantly played wing that game).

LB2Snake nailed it, little bit of Will Day with how he goes about it, probably doesn’t quite have Day’s agility though. Will end up more of a physical specimen compared to Day too.
Day might be a little quicker perhaps and had a pretty good tank from memory.
Be interesting to see how Langford tests at the combine. I like him though.

A couple of questions for those who've watched this crop closely. At first glance at Twomeys top 30, and the stats and highlights I've seen of various players who've popped up with excellent games at various stages, seems to be a very deep draft. Do people think that is actually the case, or is it more of a case of being even without a really clear #1 and top echelon of players separating themselves from others? Be that as it may be, thoughts on taking best available (probably a mid with our first) vs splitting which could possibly net us the best rated key forward AND small forward in this draft to address needs (given Clarko's comments re key forward).....or be happy to take a key forward at our second pick, in that not enough seperating Armstrong, Sims, Whitlock, Faull etc?

The draft lacks the out and out superstars, of previous drafts, but I think there are more genuine talls, small forwards and other role players in that secondary tier. Means that there is a bit more depth beyond like pick 40.

Honestly, because of the evenness, I think I’d be happy either way to split or keep pick 1/2/3. I just hope we trade our F2 into the top 30 so that we get another bite at the cherrie as there are so many opportunities to add much needed role or structure players to our list.

If you ranked all of these top mids equally, Langford seems like he might be the best fit with our current group.

I'd love to play him in the Sheezel half back role with his additional size.
Agree he looks a ripper.

Give him a couple of years to move into the middle as our big bodied enforcer.

If you ranked all of these top mids equally, Langford seems like he might be the best fit with our current group.

Definitely got Sheeze vibes from the effortless disposal and vision that cut up the opposition.

Is there a name on those lists where both judges have consensus? It looks like a crap-shoot.
Finn O’Sullivan, Isaac Kako and Taj Hotten are the ones that are a place off either way.

I actually think it’s the complete opposite to a crap shoot, it’s so even that a player can go about 5 places + / - of where they’re predicted to go.

I'm not getting a sense from any of the champs games I streamed, or coates league highlights or player reviews that there's generational talent available at the top. So trading out ~2/3 for Freo's ~10 and ~16 to get us our favourite key forward plus Berry would have to at least be an option worth considering.

It would be good, but I think they try to get it out of the way relatively early so that 1. It doesn’t disrupt the kids focus towards end of year 12 exams and 2. Doesn’t disrupt the Coates league finals.
That the more likely excuse cos the old disrupting kids year 12 exams...l've heard that excuse since U19 days:laughv1:
The draft lacks the out and out superstars, of previous drafts, but I think there are more genuine talls, small forwards and other role players in that secondary tier. Means that there is a bit more depth beyond like pick 40.

Honestly, because of the evenness, I think I’d be happy either way to split or keep pick 1/2/3. I just hope we trade our F2 into the top 30 so that we get another bite at the cherrie as there are so many opportunities to add much needed role or structure players to our list.
Agree with ya!! Very even talent pool which is great for the competition but one where l think we look to really bolster the list like last year and if supporters can give up on a FOS or Smille or Trainor for Langford/Allan/Draper/Lalor and an extra 1 or 2x 2nd rounders to nab Shanahan/M.Whitlock/Sims/Tauru/Mraz/ etc etc, we accelerate this rebuild rather than a pick in the 1st, pick in 2nd and pick in the 3rd.🤷‍♂️

I'm not getting a sense from any of the champs games I streamed, or coates league highlights or player reviews that there's generational talent available at the top. So trading out ~2/3 for Freo's ~10 and ~16 to get us our favourite key forward plus Berry would have to at least be an option worth considering.

Who are Fremantle targeting?

They already have a dominant clearance midfield group and don’t need any of Smillie, Smith, Langford etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They already have a dominant clearance midfield group and don’t need any of Smillie, Smith, Langford etc
Toby - better than Aish, could move to the wing?
Trainor - more coverage at KPD and help for Pearce other than J.Draper,?
Draper - added speed, different dimension to an already formidable midfield group?

Personally, they should keep their 1st rounders and plug holes with quailty kids...f'em really ;)

A couple of questions for those who've watched this crop closely. At first glance at Twomeys top 30, and the stats and highlights I've seen of various players who've popped up with excellent games at various stages, seems to be a very deep draft. Do people think that is actually the case, or is it more of a case of being even without a really clear #1 and top echelon of players separating themselves from others? Be that as it may be, thoughts on taking best available (probably a mid with our first) vs splitting which could possibly net us the best rated key forward AND small forward in this draft to address needs (given Clarko's comments re key forward).....or be happy to take a key forward at our second pick, in that not enough seperating Armstrong, Sims, Whitlock, Faull etc?
Its a deep draft! Thoughts on best available, you've answered your own question Ding and one I've pondered, the only three people that know that question is Will, Brady and Alastair, they will be going over different scenarios with draft picks {selections} like you just said. We can pick up one of the guns at our first pick and get a key forward at our 2nd round pick vs lets trade down and get the best key forward and depending what club we trade with, we might get offered a future first as well but only if we have pick 1 or 2 in the draft.

That the more likely excuse cos the old disrupting kids year 12 exams...l've heard that excuse since U19 days:laughv1:

Agree with ya!! Very even talent pool which is great for the competition but one where l think we look to really bolster the list like last year and if supporters can give up on a FOS or Smille or Trainor for Langford/Allan/Draper/Lalor and an extra 1 or 2x 2nd rounders to nab Shanahan/M.Whitlock/Sims/Tauru/Mraz/ etc etc, we accelerate this rebuild rather than a pick in the 1st, pick in 2nd and pick in the 3rd.🤷‍♂️
Nah transition and quality of entry is no1 for mine. Im taking best available.

They will be all over Berry now Kako has been gift wrapped for the *scum.

With Lachie Schultz leaving last year and Walters all but done they need another goal kicking and pressure small forward.

They would probably also look for a damaging running half back to take the place of Hayden Young now that he’s calving it up in the midfield.

They’re actually in an excellent position with their draft picks.

They will be all over Berry now Kako has been gift wrapped for the *scum.

With Lachie Schultz leaving last year and Walters all but done they need another goal kicking and pressure small forward.

They would probably look for a damaging running half back to take the place of Hayden Young now that he’s calving it up in the midfield.

Which is my point.

With their current picks they can potentially get all of Bo Allen, Travaglia, Berry - there’s no obvious target for them to trade up for.

The one attribute that doesn’t make him suitable for us is that he is a little bit one paced. It’s really his only obvious flaw (subject to post season testing)

I’m tipping they are going to go hard at getting Shai Bolton out of Richmond. Makes so much sense with the loss of Schultz and Walters on his last legs.

In saying that they’d probably be more than happy to take those picks to the draft and target a few of the tall forwards and small forward in Berry.

Bit envious of their draft hand if I’m honest.

Yep, and people sometimes forget that clubs have been watching these players for years. Players tend to drop due to bad injuries or personality concerns or if their initial ranking was more speculative and it doesn't play out.

They probably won't drop FOS down their orders based on the last two games.
Good point, parrallels with Wardlaw...missing so much footy is his u18 year.....its like saying he'd be ranking higher in draft order IF he didn't play!

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back