Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

A huge step forward for Jack Whitlock in this game, answering a lot of the questions that draft watchers had been pondering. He clunked the big contested marks that he had been struggling to hold on to, he was clean at ground level and he hit the scoreboard. He proved that when he gets to run and jump few key defenders can reach high enough to disrupt him.

No shade on the kid, but yeah, isn't that close to every tall forward? They don't get the opportunity at AFL level too often.

No shade on the kid, but yeah, isn't that close to every tall forward? They don't get the opportunity at AFL level too often.

Not too many 199cm kids have the ability/coordination to not only jump but extend their arms and take the ball at the highest point.

Both the Whitlocks are capable of that, and so is Sims for that matter.

Not for me. Its a playstyle thing. Some key forwards are gorillas that love to wrestle and win tests of strength. Others like the King boys and Jack Whitlock want to run and jump, they have the arm length and athleticism to reach a point that 99% of defenders can't get to for a spoil.

You might suggest that this is why Max King has struggled at times, because defenders know his 1 wood and work to take it away from him... and you might use that knowledge to knock Jack Whitlock down a little as a prospect. I wouldn't disagree with that.

They really only have Amiss and Treacy. Compared to their defence which has Cox, Pearce, Ryan, Draper, Chapman, McDonald, Murphy and Davies

Taberner is just about on his last legs too. If they take those picks to the draft I guarantee they'll take a key forward.

I guess I was counting Taberner but also Jackson, especially if Darcy remains on their list.

Not for me. Its a playstyle thing. Some key forwards are gorillas that love to wrestle and win tests of strength. Others like the King boys and Jack Whitlock want to run and jump, they have the arm length and athleticism to reach a point that 99% of defenders can't get to for a spoil.

You might suggest that this is why Max King has struggled at times, because defenders know his 1 wood and work to take it away from him... and you might use that knowledge to knock Jack Whitlock down a little as a prospect. I wouldn't disagree with that.
You're spot on imo. But then on the flip side the Gorillas can struggle too when they cant throw around mature AFL defenders. If my memory serves even Hawkins struggled a lot early with Duck even going down the road to help out.

These days im very much of the mindset that its less about the key forward and more about the quality of i50s. Teams are just to good at flooding back numbers. Even the fast break plays it doesn't take a 200cm forward, any of the mediums or smalls can find space on those.

I look at the Swans, Collingwood and Melbourne of recent years and they haven't had much in the way key forwards i rate highly. Sure they have good work rates and dont get beaten to often and chip in with a goal or two most weeks.

For me its getting those numbers back and then swarming forward that matters. Transitioning well and having the players who can hit targets i50. If we look over North's team how many quality users do we really have for those i50s? Sheezel, Wardlaw and Powell with McKercher a maybe and Phillips pretty good when playing. But he along with Wardlaw are usually the eyes down guys hitting shorter leading targets. Then LDU of course, but its only his kicking stopping him from being at the very pointy end of AFL mids atm.

Thats why for mine North would be foolish passing over FOS if available to us. To find out means we keep our pick, but Smillie would be a good get too for other reasons anyway.

Basically im far less stressed about key forwards than many others are. Elmo has shown good hands and set shot, hopefully with more time as a forward learns to get himself to more contests and structurally he's good for us.

You're spot on imo. But then on the flip side the Gorillas can struggle too when they cant throw around mature AFL defenders. If my memory serves even Hawkins struggled a lot early with Duck even going down the road to help out.

These days im very much of the mindset that its less about the key forward and more about the quality of i50s. Teams are just to good at flooding back numbers. Even the fast break plays it doesn't take a 200cm forward, any of the mediums or smalls can find space on those.

I look at the Swans, Collingwood and Melbourne of recent years and they haven't had much in the way key forwards i rate highly. Sure they have good work rates and dont get beaten to often and chip in with a goal or two most weeks.

For me its getting those numbers back and then swarming forward that matters. Transitioning well and having the players who can hit targets i50. If we look over North's team how many quality users do we really have for those i50s? Sheezel, Wardlaw and Powell with McKercher a maybe and Phillips pretty good when playing. But he along with Wardlaw are usually the eyes down guys hitting shorter leading targets. Then LDU of course, but its only his kicking stopping him from being at the very pointy end of AFL mids atm.

Thats why for mine North would be foolish passing over FOS if available to us. To find out means we keep our pick, but Smillie would be a good get too for other reasons anyway.

Basically im far less stressed about key forwards than many others are. Elmo has shown good hands and set shot, hopefully with more time as a forward learns to get himself to more contests and structurally he's good for us.
Pretty much 100% agree on all of this. We don't need the second coming. If we could get a KPF that complements Larkey at a similar level or even a little lesser that will be enough in the immediate term. When we've generated parity in entries this year we've been in a position to win most games.

A very early guess at my dream draft.
Fos
Whitlock (not saying which one I'm hedging my bets)
And a small forward.
Only reason I would prioritise the small forward last is I think it's probably cheapest to pick up an experienced one over the next few years.

I think we have Comben and W. Dawson to deal with the 198+cm key forwards.
Yep I know that. Just pointing out Trainor would be more a replacement for Corr long term if we took him.
Still think we need another 198cm plus kpd on the list to go with Dawson and Comben.
Might be Noah Mraz at the 3rd rounder perhaps if we get a bit of luck.

Yep I know that. Just pointing out Trainor would be more a replacement for Corr long term if we took him.
Still think we need another 198cm plus kpd on the list to go with Dawson and Comben.
Might be Noah Mraz at the 3rd rounder perhaps if we get a bit of luck.

Logue still has at least another 5 years in him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whatever position he plays, you’d expect next year to be Logue, Comben, Corr…..which may morph into Logue, Comben, W Dawson down the track. Then there’s K Dawson there as well.

Yeah, that's pretty much my thoughts. Not sure where KD fits long term though, along with Fisher.

Post championship rankings

Few comments;

• Langford and Travaglia's body of work this season just couldn't be denied any longer
  • Draper's senior form pushes him up onto the edge of the top 3
  • Smillie drops a few places due to his championship form
  • Hamish David enters the top 35.
  • Armstrong jumps the cue of many of the other talls off the back of his excellent recent form
  • Xavier Ivisic rightfully enters the top 50.
  • Added a couple more profiles.

PickNameHeightPositionClubComments
1Finn O'Sullivan182cmMidfielderOakleigh ChargersCourageous midfielder who is strong over head, powerful runner who runs hard both ways.
2Levi Ashcroft179cmMidfielderSandringham DragonsAccumulating midfielder that powers from contest to contest. Balanced inside and outside game.
3Harvey Langford190cmMidfielderDandenong StingraysTall and versatile midfielder who is strong overhead and has a booming left foot kick.
4Sid Draper180cmMidfielderSouth AdelaideClassy midfielder that has some speed and evasieness. Well balanced with excellent vision.
5Leo Lombard178cmMidfielderGC AcademyCombative contested midfielder who has some real zip around the contest.
6Josh Smillie194cmMidfielderEastern RangesTall midfielder that finds posession at will and has a long penetrating kick.
7Luke Trainor194cmKey DefenderSandringham DragonsIntercepting general defender who can play on smalls and talls. Composed and balanced.
8Jagga Smith181cmMidfielderOakleigh ChargersWell balanced accumulating midfielder who is at home on the inside and outside the contest.
9Sam Lalor187cmMidfielder/General ForwardGWV RebelsPowerful midfielder, who is explosive and damaging. Can roll forward and have an impact.
10Tobie Travaglia187cmGeneral DefenderBendigo PioneersIntercepting defender who can provide run and carry. Excellent defender with leadership potential.
11Matt Whitlock198cmKey DefenderMurray BushrangersOne on one defender who can also swing forward. Strong overhead but equally adept on the ground.
12Isaac Kako175cmSmall ForwardCalder CannonsDynamic and exciting small who can kick goals from anywhere. Also pushes into the midfield.
13Murphy Reid180cmMidfielderSandringham DragonsSmart and classy midfielder who makes good decisions with ball in hand. One touch.
14Harry Armstrong193cmKey ForwardSandringham DragonsHigh workrate key forward who is at home on the lead. Excellent set shot routine.
15Xavier Lindsay183cmMidfielderGippsland PowerLeft footed midfielder with a damaging kick. Has some speed to break the lines.
16Joe Berry180cmSmall ForwardMurray BushrangersLively small forward who can crumb but also present an option on the lead. Classy goal kicker.
17Jack Whitlock200cmTall ForwardMurray BushrangersRangy key forward that marks at the heighest point but can also find the ball at ground level.
18Taj Hotton182cmMidfielder/General ForwardSandringham DragonsClassy midfielder forward who has plenty of X-Factor. Unfortunatly done his ACL.
19Bo Allen191cmGeneral Defender/MidfielderPeel ThunderPhysical left footer who leads from the front. Uses his speed and long kicking to launch offensive attacks.
20Alex Dodson203cmRuckSturtAthletic ruckman who covers the ground well and can find the ball. Very balanced for a tall.
21Jonty Faull195cmTall ForwardGWV RebelsGoal kicking key forward who works hard to provide an option. Competitive in the air
22Jobe Shanahan194cmKey ForwardBendigo PioneersContested marking key forward who times his leads and jumps aat the ball to perfection.
23Harry O'Farrell196cmKey DefenderCalder CannonsLockdown competitive defender that uses his reach and closing speed to advantage.
24Christian Moraes183cmMidfielderEastern RangesAccumulating midfielder that can roll forward and impact the scoreboard. Strong overhead.
25Tom Gross181cmMidfelderOakleigh ChargersTough, contested midfielder that has a real competitive streak. Solid overhead.
26Ben Camporeale186cmMidfielderGlenelgBalanced midfielder who works hard between the arcs. Can find the ball inside and outside the contest.
27Tom Sims199cmKey ForwardNorthern KnightsLead up key forward who has good workrate. Solid at ground level for a kid his size.
28Cooper Hynes190cmMidfielder/General ForwardDandenong StingraysTall midfielder who is a goal kicking threat when playing forward of centre. Strong over the ball.
29Kayle Gerryn199cmKey Forward/RuckWest PerthUnique athletic prospect that has a tonne of potential upside.
30Sam Marshall185cmMidfielderBrisbane AcademyElite runner who motors from contest to contest. Creates seperation from the contest with his pace.
31Tyler Welsh191cmKey ForwardWoodville WestUndersize key forward who is a strong lead/mark type. Neat set shot goal kicking.
32Hamish Davis190cmMidfielderClaremontElite runner who can play as a genuine mid or as a lead up half forward, good kick and decision maker
33Malakai Champion172cmSmall ForwardSubiacoFlashy small forward who can kick goals from anywhere. Provides good defensive pressure.
34Noah Mraz198cmKey DefenderDandenong StingraysIntercepting defender, who has excellent disposal and decision making. Good closing speed.
35Luke Urquhart189cmMidfielderEast FremantleTall midfielder that can also play across half back. Uses his body well in contested situations.
36Lucas Camporeale185cmMidfielderGlenelgNatural wingman who keeps his width and can accumulate the ball on the outside.
37Lachie Jacques184cmGeneral DefenderGeelong FalconsDefence first defender, who can intercept and provide drive off half back. Reliable ball user.
38Alix Tauru191cmGeneral DefenderGippsland PowerAthletic defender who can play on talls and smalls, excellent closing speed and leap. Sound decision making.
39Archer Day-Wicks186cmGeneral ForwardBendigo PioneersX-Factor player who can mark, and be damaging at ground level. Creative and classy ball user.
40Zak Johnson185cmMidfielderNorthern KnightsClassy midfielder, who moves well, accumulates the ball and makes good decisions.
41Pheonix Hargraves182cmMidfielderSouth AdelaideAccumulating midfielder who have high work rate. Can also impact the scoreboard
42Charlie Nicholls197cmKey ForwardCentral DistrictStrong contested marking key forward who provides a leading option up the ground.
43Evan Bradley174cmSmall ForwardNorth AdelaideClassy small forward who is creative and damaging by foot. Natural goalkicking with plenty of X Factor
44Ben Barrett174cmSmall ForwardSouth AdelaideLightning quick small forward who has a bucket of tricks and high impact per posession.
45Harrison Oliver181cmGeneral DefenderSandringham DragonsRebounding defender who uses his composure and good decision making to good effect.
46Luca Grego183cmGeneral Defender/MidfielderWestern JetsWorkman utility who can play a variety of roles across the ground. Reilable type.
47Josh Murphy190cmGeneral ForwardMurray BushrangersImpact player who has plenty of x-factor. Contested marking threat who is dangerous at ground level.
48Xavier Ivisic180cmMidfielderGeelong FalconsReliable inside midfielder who can also find the ball on the outside. Good vision in the contest.
49Jesse Dattoli179cmMidfielder/Small ForwardNorthern KnightsHigh footy IQ, who can play a variety of roles around the ground. Dangerous and smart around goals.
50Jack Ough193cmGeneral DefenderGWV RebelsHard working and athletic half back/wing who can play a variety of roles across the ground.
50+Cody Anderson181cmMidfielderEastern RangesRelentless midfielder that tackles hard. At home inside the contest, can also hit the scoreboard.
50+Nathaniel Sulzberger184cmMidfielder/General ForwardSandringham DragonsStrong contested player who offers a point of difference with his power around the contest.
50+Pat Retschko188cmMidfielderOakleigh ChargersHard working midfielder who can play inside and outside the contest. Strong runner.
50+Jaxon Artemis187cmWingSouth FremantleHard running outside type who can also create off half back, good decision making and skills
50+Oliver Depaoli-Kubank178cmMidfielder/Small ForwardTasmania DevilsConsistent type who can play a variety of roles. Reliable disposal and sound decision maker.
50+Jayden Nguyen177cmGeneral Defender/MidfielderCalder CannonsSmall defender who can push up the ground. Creative ball user who uses his speed to impact the game.
50+Zaydyn Lockwood198cmKey DefenderBendigo PioneersRaw and athletic key defender who has plenty of upside. Solid defensive craft and in the 1v1's.
50+Oliver Warburton185cmMidfielderMurray BushrangersVersatile type who can play inside and outside the contest. Consistent with good defensive intensity.
50+Jasper Alger182cmSmall ForwardOakleigh ChargersClassy small forward who makes the most of his oppurtunites. Good defensive intensity.
50+Lucas McInerney180cmMidfielderNorthern KnightsRangy winger who keeps his width and can be damaging forward of centre. Good disposer.
50+Noah Howes196cmKey ForwardSouth AdelaideOverage key forward with strong workrate. Good ground level game and has natural forward craft
50+River Stevens176cmSmall ForwardGeelong FalconsClassy half forward that makes good decisions with the ball. Creative left footer.
50+Charlie West195cmKey ForwardWoodville WestStrong marking and physical key forward. Flies aggressively at the ball in contested situations.
50+Zac McInnes196cmKey ForwardGeelong FalconsMobile key forward with good forward craft. Uses workrate to present multiple times.
50+James Barrat193cmKey ForwardBendigo PioneersLeading forward with good leap and excellent timing. Elite forward craft and workrate.
50+Louie Montgomery184cmGeneral DefenderNorth AdelaideComposed defender who uses the ball well. Solid 1v1 player who can also create off half back.
50+Bailey McKenzie191cmGeneral ForwardSandringham DragonsMercurial 3rd tall type that can impact the game at ground level or in the air. Classy in front of goal.
50+Gabriel Stumpf196cmKey ForwardNorthern KnightsAthletic key forward who is at home leading at the ball carrier. Strong workrate.
50+Lucas Tovey198cmKey DefenderOakleigh ChargersIntercepting key defender, who uses his body really well in the contest. Reliable ball user.
50+Ben Hopkins190cmGeneral DefenderDandenong StingraysOverage accumulaing defender who can also push up to a wing. Quick and hard running.
50+Kobe Ryan183cmMidfielderWest AdelaideMature age inside midfielder that wins contested posessions and has manic defensive effort.
50+Joe Pike203cmRuckGeelong FalconsOverage ruckman who competes at ground level. Solid tap work and follow up effort.
50+Oliver Dean201cmRuckTasmania DevilsNeat tap ruckman that can impact forward of centre.
50+Waylon Davey-Motlop171cmSmall ForwardNorthern TerritoryClassy small forward who has plenty of X-Factor and upside. Can kick goals from anywhere inside fwd 50.
50+Tallan Rozenweig197cmKey ForwardCentral DistrictTall forward who uses his leap and long limbs to take the ball at the highest point. Neat kick.
50+Xavier Kardarchi186cmMidfielderWestern JetsAccumulating midfielder who is strong around the contest. Composed with a solid long kick.
50+Oliver Hannaford180cmMidfielderGWV FalconsAgile midfielder who uses his side step to create space around the contest. Good defensive intent.
50+Damon Hollow180cmMidfielderCalder CannonsAccumulating wingman who can be damaging with his disposal. Long kicking a real feature.
50+Kade Herbert184cmMidfielder/General ForwardWoodville WestHigh footy IQ, who can play a variety of roles around the ground. Sound decision maker.
50+Harry Charleson182cmGeneral DefenderGWV RebelsReliable defender who is composed and can provide some drive off half back.
50+Liam Kershaw194cmMidfielderGeelong FalconsOverage wingman who offers a point of difference with his height, marking ability and running capacity
50+Joel Cochrane195cmKey DefenderSydney AcademyIntercepting defender who can find the ball and provide rebound from the back half.
50+Loch McTaggert183cmGeneral DefenderPerthNeat defender who has good balance between his defensive application and rebound
50+Max Rohr197cmKey ForwardClaremontOverage key forward who has natural forward craft. Dangerous in the air and neat with ball in hand.
50+Hugh Boxshall187cmMidfielderClaremontStrong running midfielder who can play inside and outside the contest. Good decision maker.
50+Lucas Impey197cmRuckWestern JetsElite tap ruckman who is useful around the ground. Comes from a basketball background.
50+Keighton Matofai-Forbes188cmGeneral ForwardWestern JetsPowerful half forward type who is a threat both aerially and with ground balls.

Whatever position he plays, you’d expect next year to be Logue, Comben, Corr…..which may morph into Logue, Comben, W Dawson down the track. Then there’s K Dawson there as well.
Spot on. It will be interesting to see what combination Clarkson goes with for his talls. The KPD back 3 you nominate is pretty strong, and suggests Kal Dawson might be pushed back as depth - I actually take this to be a good sign, as it suggests someone who is developing into a handy player has to go back to the VFL in the competition for spots.

But the same puzzle surrounds the tall forwards - if Comben stays back, there's an ongoing spot for one or both of Pink and Teakle. Like K. Dawson, they are showing signs of being handy players. So if either of them - or a player who tips them out on form (maybe Wil Dawson?) - goes to another gear, the team will really be going.

Somebody posted that "a rising tide lifts all boats", which I reckon is also spot on. If we can get a set of talls on both lines that take some contested grabs we will improve substantially.

Last edited:
Hi Merlin, Laura here, thank you for your inquiry.
I see you are a North supporter. We at the AFL are still working on how to screw the smaller less supported clubs in this draft so as to benefit the bigger clubs. This will ensure big crowds and mammoth t.v. ratings going forward and of course massive $ bonuses for AFL execs.

Rules for this weekend games are yet to be finalised, but l can confirm we have spoken to the umpires patrolling the Carlton forward line on Sunday to ensure that cuddly Harry & that little mop haired Charlie receive fair treatment in any one on one contests.

Your Sincerely and losta love Laura ♥️
Now I know why I love Laura so much! :laughv1:

Post championship rankings

Few comments;

• Langford and Travaglia's body of work this season just couldn't be denied any longer
  • Draper's senior form pushes him up onto the edge of the top 3
  • Smillie drops a few places due to his championship form
  • Hamish David enters the top 35.
  • Armstrong jumps the cue of many of the other talls off the back of his excellent recent form
  • Xavier Ivisic rightfully enters the top 50.
  • Added a couple more profiles.

PickNameHeightPositionClubComments
1Finn O'Sullivan182cmMidfielderOakleigh ChargersCourageous midfielder who is strong over head, powerful runner who runs hard both ways.
2Levi Ashcroft179cmMidfielderSandringham DragonsAccumulating midfielder that powers from contest to contest. Balanced inside and outside game.
3Harvey Langford190cmMidfielderDandenong StingraysTall and versatile midfielder who is strong overhead and has a booming left foot kick.
4Sid Draper180cmMidfielderSouth AdelaideClassy midfielder that has some speed and evasieness. Well balanced with excellent vision.
5Leo Lombard178cmMidfielderGC AcademyCombative contested midfielder who has some real zip around the contest.
6Josh Smillie194cmMidfielderEastern RangesTall midfielder that finds posession at will and has a long penetrating kick.
7Luke Trainor194cmKey DefenderSandringham DragonsIntercepting general defender who can play on smalls and talls. Composed and balanced.
8Jagga Smith181cmMidfielderOakleigh ChargersWell balanced accumulating midfielder who is at home on the inside and outside the contest.
9Sam Lalor187cmMidfielder/General ForwardGWV RebelsPowerful midfielder, who is explosive and damaging. Can roll forward and have an impact.
10Tobie Travaglia187cmGeneral DefenderBendigo PioneersIntercepting defender who can provide run and carry. Excellent defender with leadership potential.
11Matt Whitlock198cmKey DefenderMurray BushrangersOne on one defender who can also swing forward. Strong overhead but equally adept on the ground.
12Isaac Kako175cmSmall ForwardCalder CannonsDynamic and exciting small who can kick goals from anywhere. Also pushes into the midfield.
13Murphy Reid180cmMidfielderSandringham DragonsSmart and classy midfielder who makes good decisions with ball in hand. One touch.
14Harry Armstrong193cmKey ForwardSandringham DragonsHigh workrate key forward who is at home on the lead. Excellent set shot routine.
15Xavier Lindsay183cmMidfielderGippsland PowerLeft footed midfielder with a damaging kick. Has some speed to break the lines.
16Joe Berry180cmSmall ForwardMurray BushrangersLively small forward who can crumb but also present an option on the lead. Classy goal kicker.
17Jack Whitlock200cmTall ForwardMurray BushrangersRangy key forward that marks at the heighest point but can also find the ball at ground level.
18Taj Hotton182cmMidfielder/General ForwardSandringham DragonsClassy midfielder forward who has plenty of X-Factor. Unfortunatly done his ACL.
19Bo Allen191cmGeneral Defender/MidfielderPeel ThunderPhysical left footer who leads from the front. Uses his speed and long kicking to launch offensive attacks.
20Alex Dodson203cmRuckSturtAthletic ruckman who covers the ground well and can find the ball. Very balanced for a tall.
21Jonty Faull195cmTall ForwardGWV RebelsGoal kicking key forward who works hard to provide an option. Competitive in the air
22Jobe Shanahan194cmKey ForwardBendigo PioneersContested marking key forward who times his leads and jumps aat the ball to perfection.
23Harry O'Farrell196cmKey DefenderCalder CannonsLockdown competitive defender that uses his reach and closing speed to advantage.
24Christian Moraes183cmMidfielderEastern RangesAccumulating midfielder that can roll forward and impact the scoreboard. Strong overhead.
25Tom Gross181cmMidfelderOakleigh ChargersTough, contested midfielder that has a real competitive streak. Solid overhead.
26Ben Camporeale186cmMidfielderGlenelgBalanced midfielder who works hard between the arcs. Can find the ball inside and outside the contest.
27Tom Sims199cmKey ForwardNorthern KnightsLead up key forward who has good workrate. Solid at ground level for a kid his size.
28Cooper Hynes190cmMidfielder/General ForwardDandenong StingraysTall midfielder who is a goal kicking threat when playing forward of centre. Strong over the ball.
29Kayle Gerryn199cmKey Forward/RuckWest PerthUnique athletic prospect that has a tonne of potential upside.
30Sam Marshall185cmMidfielderBrisbane AcademyElite runner who motors from contest to contest. Creates seperation from the contest with his pace.
31Tyler Welsh191cmKey ForwardWoodville WestUndersize key forward who is a strong lead/mark type. Neat set shot goal kicking.
32Hamish Davis190cmMidfielderClaremontElite runner who can play as a genuine mid or as a lead up half forward, good kick and decision maker
33Malakai Champion172cmSmall ForwardSubiacoFlashy small forward who can kick goals from anywhere. Provides good defensive pressure.
34Noah Mraz198cmKey DefenderDandenong StingraysIntercepting defender, who has excellent disposal and decision making. Good closing speed.
35Luke Urquhart189cmMidfielderEast FremantleTall midfielder that can also play across half back. Uses his body well in contested situations.
36Lucas Camporeale185cmMidfielderGlenelgNatural wingman who keeps his width and can accumulate the ball on the outside.
37Lachie Jacques184cmGeneral DefenderGeelong FalconsDefence first defender, who can intercept and provide drive off half back. Reliable ball user.
38Alix Tauru191cmGeneral DefenderGippsland PowerAthletic defender who can play on talls and smalls, excellent closing speed and leap. Sound decision making.
39Archer Day-Wicks186cmGeneral ForwardBendigo PioneersX-Factor player who can mark, and be damaging at ground level. Creative and classy ball user.
40Zak Johnson185cmMidfielderNorthern KnightsClassy midfielder, who moves well, accumulates the ball and makes good decisions.
41Pheonix Hargraves182cmMidfielderSouth AdelaideAccumulating midfielder who have high work rate. Can also impact the scoreboard
42Charlie Nicholls197cmKey ForwardCentral DistrictStrong contested marking key forward who provides a leading option up the ground.
43Evan Bradley174cmSmall ForwardNorth AdelaideClassy small forward who is creative and damaging by foot. Natural goalkicking with plenty of X Factor
44Ben Barrett174cmSmall ForwardSouth AdelaideLightning quick small forward who has a bucket of tricks and high impact per posession.
45Harrison Oliver181cmGeneral DefenderSandringham DragonsRebounding defender who uses his composure and good decision making to good effect.
46Luca Grego183cmGeneral Defender/MidfielderWestern JetsWorkman utility who can play a variety of roles across the ground. Reilable type.
47Josh Murphy190cmGeneral ForwardMurray BushrangersImpact player who has plenty of x-factor. Contested marking threat who is dangerous at ground level.
48Xavier Ivisic180cmMidfielderGeelong FalconsReliable inside midfielder who can also find the ball on the outside. Good vision in the contest.
49Jesse Dattoli179cmMidfielder/Small ForwardNorthern KnightsHigh footy IQ, who can play a variety of roles around the ground. Dangerous and smart around goals.
50Jack Ough193cmGeneral DefenderGWV RebelsHard working and athletic half back/wing who can play a variety of roles across the ground.
50+Cody Anderson181cmMidfielderEastern RangesRelentless midfielder that tackles hard. At home inside the contest, can also hit the scoreboard.
50+Nathaniel Sulzberger184cmMidfielder/General ForwardSandringham DragonsStrong contested player who offers a point of difference with his power around the contest.
50+Pat Retschko188cmMidfielderOakleigh ChargersHard working midfielder who can play inside and outside the contest. Strong runner.
50+Jaxon Artemis187cmWingSouth FremantleHard running outside type who can also create off half back, good decision making and skills
50+Oliver Depaoli-Kubank178cmMidfielder/Small ForwardTasmania DevilsConsistent type who can play a variety of roles. Reliable disposal and sound decision maker.
50+Jayden Nguyen177cmGeneral Defender/MidfielderCalder CannonsSmall defender who can push up the ground. Creative ball user who uses his speed to impact the game.
50+Zaydyn Lockwood198cmKey DefenderBendigo PioneersRaw and athletic key defender who has plenty of upside. Solid defensive craft and in the 1v1's.
50+Oliver Warburton185cmMidfielderMurray BushrangersVersatile type who can play inside and outside the contest. Consistent with good defensive intensity.
50+Jasper Alger182cmSmall ForwardOakleigh ChargersClassy small forward who makes the most of his oppurtunites. Good defensive intensity.
50+Lucas McInerney180cmMidfielderNorthern KnightsRangy winger who keeps his width and can be damaging forward of centre. Good disposer.
50+Noah Howes196cmKey ForwardSouth AdelaideOverage key forward with strong workrate. Good ground level game and has natural forward craft
50+River Stevens176cmSmall ForwardGeelong FalconsClassy half forward that makes good decisions with the ball. Creative left footer.
50+Charlie West195cmKey ForwardWoodville WestStrong marking and physical key forward. Flies aggressively at the ball in contested situations.
50+Zac McInnes196cmKey ForwardGeelong FalconsMobile key forward with good forward craft. Uses workrate to present multiple times.
50+James Barrat193cmKey ForwardBendigo PioneersLeading forward with good leap and excellent timing. Elite forward craft and workrate.
50+Louie Montgomery184cmGeneral DefenderNorth AdelaideComposed defender who uses the ball well. Solid 1v1 player who can also create off half back.
50+Bailey McKenzie191cmGeneral ForwardSandringham DragonsMercurial 3rd tall type that can impact the game at ground level or in the air. Classy in front of goal.
50+Gabriel Stumpf196cmKey ForwardNorthern KnightsAthletic key forward who is at home leading at the ball carrier. Strong workrate.
50+Lucas Tovey198cmKey DefenderOakleigh ChargersIntercepting key defender, who uses his body really well in the contest. Reliable ball user.
50+Ben Hopkins190cmGeneral DefenderDandenong StingraysOverage accumulaing defender who can also push up to a wing. Quick and hard running.
50+Kobe Ryan183cmMidfielderWest AdelaideMature age inside midfielder that wins contested posessions and has manic defensive effort.
50+Joe Pike203cmRuckGeelong FalconsOverage ruckman who competes at ground level. Solid tap work and follow up effort.
50+Oliver Dean201cmRuckTasmania DevilsNeat tap ruckman that can impact forward of centre.
50+Waylon Davey-Motlop171cmSmall ForwardNorthern TerritoryClassy small forward who has plenty of X-Factor and upside. Can kick goals from anywhere inside fwd 50.
50+Tallan Rozenweig197cmKey ForwardCentral DistrictTall forward who uses his leap and long limbs to take the ball at the highest point. Neat kick.
50+Xavier Kardarchi186cmMidfielderWestern JetsAccumulating midfielder who is strong around the contest. Composed with a solid long kick.
50+Oliver Hannaford180cmMidfielderGWV FalconsAgile midfielder who uses his side step to create space around the contest. Good defensive intent.
50+Damon Hollow180cmMidfielderCalder CannonsAccumulating wingman who can be damaging with his disposal. Long kicking a real feature.
50+Kade Herbert184cmMidfielder/General ForwardWoodville WestHigh footy IQ, who can play a variety of roles around the ground. Sound decision maker.
50+Harry Charleson182cmGeneral DefenderGWV RebelsReliable defender who is composed and can provide some drive off half back.
50+Liam Kershaw194cmMidfielderGeelong FalconsOverage wingman who offers a point of difference with his height, marking ability and running capacity
50+Joel Cochrane195cmKey DefenderSydney AcademyIntercepting defender who can find the ball and provide rebound from the back half.
50+Loch McTaggert183cmGeneral DefenderPerthNeat defender who has good balance between his defensive application and rebound
50+Max Rohr197cmKey ForwardClaremontOverage key forward who has natural forward craft. Dangerous in the air and neat with ball in hand.
50+Hugh Boxshall187cmMidfielderClaremontStrong running midfielder who can play inside and outside the contest. Good decision maker.
50+Lucas Impey197cmRuckWestern JetsElite tap ruckman who is useful around the ground. Comes from a basketball background.
50+Keighton Matofai-Forbes188cmGeneral ForwardWestern JetsPowerful half forward type who is a threat both aerially and with ground balls.
List wise we prob dont need him but ill be more than happy with Josh Murphy at pick 39

Spot on. It will be interesting to see what combination Clarkson goes with for his talls. The KPD back 3 you nominate is pretty strong, and suggests Kal Dawson might be pushed back as depth - I actually take this to be a good sign, as it suggests someone who is developing into a handy player has to go back to the VFL in the competition for spots.

But the same puzzle surrounds the tall forwards - if Comben stays back, there's an ongoing spot for one or both of Pink and Teakle. Like K. Dawson, they are showing signs of being handy players. So if either of them - or a player who tips them out on form (maybe Wil Dawson?) - goes to another gear, the team will really be going.

Somebody posted that "a rising tide lifts all boats", which I reckon is also spot on. If we can get a set of talls on both lines that take some contested grabs we will improve substantially.
Listening to the commentary of the last game ‘Shifter’ said Armstrong’s coach said he’s the best contested mark he’s ever seen.

A KPF who takes contested marks for fun and kicks goals would be pretty handy.

Listening to the commentary of the last game ‘Shifter’ said Armstrong’s coach said he’s the best contested mark he’s ever seen.

A KPF who takes contested marks for fun and kicks goals would be pretty handy.
Mathew Lloyd is his coach at Haileybury I think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back