Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Smilie no doubt for one sec, we don't have his type at all at the club.

He can turn into a crisp fyfe type which will give us a dimension we never had.

He has adam goodes size without being a ruck and will give us a unique edge that other teams don't have.

He has some shortcomings and that's mostly overhead marking, get him developing this area straight away. In 3 years time, he will be a huge weapon as he could go forward or back.

Him along the wing can also work wonder with his size and mobility.

How hard is it to go - total contract $ / years of contract = value of contract per year average

Then have a clear formula of worth more than X per year = compensation B1/2/3

I like the liking of Murphy Reid.

Very much a Sheezel-lite in terms of his skillset, play-style and even testing numbers.

Similar feelings regarding drafting him to Taj Hotton for me - I think he's a worthy top 3 selection but I'm not sure the club will have the balls to do it. I'd have both Hotton and Reid ahead of other more popular names like Smillie, Jagga Smith, Lalor and Langford.
Interesting take Souup, very classy player who showed at the nationals what he can do, I believe that he and Berry at some stage can go into the midfield and be quite damaging because of their skillset and class. We seem to have a similar problem, you don't reckon we will pick him at pick 2/3 and therefore will be gone after our first pick and I'm not quite sure we'll split our first pick, if we did and either Fremantle or Gold Coast wanted to trade up we could get our gun forward {Harry Armstrong} who I think will be one of the big rises up draft boards with Sam Lalor, and in the process we could also get an elite small forward who could play in the midfield in Taj Hotton, Murphy Reid or Joe Berry, that happens and we will have our gun forward and classy small forward and one or two other picks as well as River.

Can you imagine the magic of Taj Hotton in our forward line or the dazzling left foot passing to one of our forwards by the clever and skillfull Joe Berry or the clever positioning and goal kicking by Murphy Reid. The key forwards these days supporters want their players over 195cm and kicking goals now, they don't care about what they will become, they want to see it for themselves before they get drafted! As I always say, like that good movie not to long ago with Denzel Washington "The little things", its the little things that'll get you caught.

Always pay attention to the little things. Finally, some people have said to me over the last five years would you split your first pick and I've said no, I don't just say that for the here and now I look at next years draft as well as the depth in the current draft class and look at our list, other things come into consideration like are we improving, answer is yes, with the AFL this year being very even, could we do a Hawthorn? I know some people are sceptical of this for different reasons but I actually have no doubt we could and I'll tell you why.

All those games we could have won we didn't for a number of reasons namely fitness, not knowing how to finish an opponent off, when on a roll, a little bit of over confidence, even though we kicked pretty accurate in most games that couple of easy points when converted to goals makes a big difference in the outcome of the game as well as momentum and the last one and very important one, giving away very silly free kicks and letting the opposition off the hook and sometimes giving them momentum. Whether we pick our gun mid or pick someone else or even split our pick one thing to me is very clear, with Will, Brady and Alastair talking and prioritizing the right players for our club, like last year we can be certain that they will nail this draft regardless of our personal preferences. ;)

Does anyone think we should split or swap our number 1 draft pick with the Tigs this year ?
I think we did this with the Giants a few years back & it worked out Ok.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always pay attention to the little things. Finally, some people have said to me over the last five years would you split your first pick and I've said no, I don't just say that for the here and now I look at next years draft as well as the depth in the current draft class and look at our list, other things come into consideration like are we improving, answer is yes, with the AFL this year being very even, could we do a Hawthorn? I know some people are sceptical of this for different reasons but I actually have no doubt we could and I'll tell you why.

The thing is, what is 'doing a hawthorn' and is that actually a good thing?

If we just summary hawthorn's trejactory, they were 3rd last, get some crafty trade a few players standing up, they shot up the ladder much quikcer than a team like them should.

Now they go helter skelter to get 2 good key defenders thinking next year will be a linear path upwards into top 8 then top 4, if only things work like that in the afl.

A more realistic outlook for them in 2025 is a much harder draw after going from bottom 3 to the top of bottom 8, hawks player lose form, youngster stagnate they fall right down again to where adel, saints are and this yoyoing effect will continue.

They simply grew by 1 year what other teams took 3 years but in doing so, they pushed themselves into a tough position because their core list isn't ready to get into top 8 where you do things slowly one step at a time, you become far more ready to launch into top 4 and i hope this is where we are going.

The thing is, what is 'doing a hawthorn' and is that actually a good thing?

If we just summary hawthorn's trejactory, they were 3rd last, get some crafty trade a few players standing up, they shot up the ladder much quikcer than a team like them should.

Now they go helter skelter to get 2 good key defenders thinking next year will be a linear path upwards into top 8 then top 4, if only things work like that in the afl.

A more realistic outlook for them in 2025 is a much harder draw after going from bottom 3 to the top of bottom 8, hawks player lose form, youngster stagnate they fall right down again to where adel, saints are and this yoyoing effect will continue.

They simply grew by 1 year what other teams took 3 years but in doing so, they pushed themselves into a tough position because their core list isn't ready to get into top 8 where you do things slowly one step at a time, you become far more ready to launch into top 4 and i hope this is where we are going.
100% agree with you. This is my exact thought on the Hawks The Saints fell for it as did the Crows like you said. Do what we are doing now steady steady until the exact time is right.

Just seen Draper's highlights and I'm shocked more people aren't talking about him! Elite pace, leader of SA and good skills. The only downside is he might need to adjust to AFL level in a different position.
Out of him and Smith, I would be taking Draper 8 times out of ten. He is the complete package.

But I would prefer that we go for versatility if we are picking up a mid.

Without ever seeing him play, not keen on taking a key back with pick 1.
From all reports, more of a reliable, classy, damaging intercepting second or third defender ala Lever.

Melbourne bought Lever with development already on the board and many of the question marks already removed.

Lever was probably in the top 5 reasons why they dominated for two seasons and jagged a premiership.

It’s a risk at 1 or 2 definitely. But at 5 or 6 is probably a no-brainer.

Hawks’ incredible run has to come to an end at some stage. We actually match up with them pretty well.

Whoever is in charge, we have seen plenty of history to not rush things, esp when it comes to formation of the core list.

Future Premierships for us are won right at around now in the formative years of the core list.

With the right list, we can just add others to it.

Is that the last premiership team basically built around draft picks. They got Dew out of retirement, Guerra and Gilham from the scrap heap...

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
Do you think the Demons may have with Petracca Oliver Jackson Kossie Rivers Fritch Brayshaw and a few more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back