Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Combine invites:

2024 NATIONAL DRAFT COMBINE LIST

VIC COUNTRY
Jasper Alger (Oakleigh Chargers)
James Barrat (Bendigo Pioneers)
Joe Berry (Murray Bushrangers)
Floyd Burmeister (Greater Western Victoria Rebels)
Harry Charleson (Greater Western Victoria Rebels)
Archer Day-Wicks (Bendigo Pioneers)
Jonty Faull (Greater Western Victoria Rebels)
Cooper Hynes (Dandenong Stingrays)
Lachie Jaques (Geelong Falcons)
Sam Lalor (Greater Western Victoria Rebels)
Harvey Langford (Dandenong Stingrays)
Xavier Lindsay (Gippsland Power)
Noah Mraz (Dandenong Stingrays)
Finn O'Sullivan (Oakleigh Chargers)
Jack Ough (Greater Western Victoria Rebels)
Alix Tauru (Gippsland Power)
Tobie Travaglia (Vic Country)
Rhys Unwin (Greater Western Victoria Rebels)
Oliver Warburton (Murray Bushrangers)
Jack Whitlock (Murray Bushrangers)
Matt Whitlock (Murray Bushrangers)

VIC METRO
Cody Anderson (Eastern Ranges)
Harry Armstrong (Sandringham Dragons)
Levi Ashcroft (Sandringham Dragons)
Adrian Cole (Sandringham Dragons)
Jesse Dattoli (Northern Knights)
Josh Dolan (Sandringham Dragons)
Tom Gross (Oakleigh Chargers)
Taj Hotton (Sandringham Dragons)
Isaac Kako (Calder Cannons)
Christian Moraes (Eastern Ranges)
Harry O'Farrell (Calder Cannons)
Harrison Oliver (Sandringham Dragons)
Murphy Reid (Sandringham Dragons)
Thomas Sims (Northern Knights)
Josh Smillie (Eastern Ranges)
Jagga Smith (Oakleigh Chargers)
Gabriel Stumpf (Northern Knights)
Luke Trainor (Sandringham Dragons)

SOUTH AUSTRALIA
Ned Bowman (Norwood)
Ben Camporeale (Glenelg)
Lucas Camporeale (Glenelg)
Angus Clarke (Glenelg)
Alex Dodson (Sturt)
Sid Draper (South Adelaide)
Phoenix Hargrave (South Adelaide)
Jacob Newton (Norwood)
Charlie Nicholls (Central District)
Charlie West (Woodville-West Torrens)

WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Bo Allan (Peel Thunder)
Cody Angove (Claremont)
Jaxon Artemis (South Fremantle)
Malakai Champion (Subiaco)
Hamish Davis (Claremont)
Clancy Dennis (Claremont)
Kayle Gerreyn (West Perth)
Will Hayes (Claremont)
Aiden Riddle (Claremont)
Luke Urquhart (East Fremantle)

QUEENSLAND
Leo Lombard (Gold Coast Academy)
Sam Marshall (Brisbane Academy)

NEW SOUTH WALES-ACT

Cooper Bell (Giants Academy)
Joel Cochran (Sydney Academy)
Jobe Shanahan (Bendigo Pioneers)
Logan Smith (GWS Academy)

FIRST INTAKE 2024 STATE COMBINE LIST

Benny Barrett (South Adelaide/SA)
Hugh Boxshall (Claremont/WA)
Evan Bradley (North Adelaide/SA)
Charlie Burke (Subiaco/WA)
Zane Cochrane (Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro)
Sam Davidson (Richmond VFL/Vic Metro)
Oliver Dean (Tasmania Devils/North Launceston)
Josaia Delana (Giants Academy/NSW-ACT)
Asher Eastham (Gippsland Power/Vic Country)
Tom Gillett (Brisbane Academy/QLD)
Lucca Grego (Western Jets/Vic Metro)
Kade Herbert (Woodville-West Torrens/SA)
Lennox Hofmann (Sandringham/Vic Metro)
Damon Hollow (Calder Cannons/Vic Metro)
Lucas Impey (Western Jets/Vic Metro)
Xavier Ivisic (Geelong Falcons/Vic Country)
Zak Johnson (Northern Knights/Vic Metro)
Ben Kennedy (Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country)
Nash King (Calder Cannons/Vic Metro)
Thomas McKay (Glenelg/South Australia)
Ricky Mentha (Gippsland Power/NT)
Josh Murphy (Murray Bushrangers/NSW-ACT)
Jayden Nguyen (Calder Cannons/Vic Metro)
Harrison Ramm (Glenelg/South Australia)
Tyler Welsh (Adelaide/South Australia)

Just seen Draper's highlights and I'm shocked more people aren't talking about him! Elite pace, leader of SA and good skills. The only downside is he might need to adjust to AFL level in a different position.
Are people not talking about him? I have him as my number 1 right now.

Are people not talking about him? I have him as my number 1 right now.
More so on our board. I feel like there is a bias against pure mids around these parts because we have plenty of those. However, Sid is clearly a supreme talent who would inject some much-needed pace into the middle as well!

More so on our board. I feel like there is a bias against pure mids around these parts because we have plenty of those. However, Sid is clearly a supreme talent who would inject some much-needed pace into the middle as well!
No theres a bias against SA players.

Can't confirm 100% but it seems like he is, this is from the AFL website.

"St Kilda’s NGA pair Adrian Cole and Lennox Hoffman and West Coast’s Malakai Champion are among the other prospects who could be top-40 players who will benefit from the rule change"
The pool of small forwards is pretty shallow then if that's the case. Shame, as either Kako or Champion would've been perfect complements to our list build.

Zak Johnson not even getting a national combine spot. Wow

Him and Tyler Welsh the most obvious omissions. I don't mind Johnson, just not sure what his best position is at AFL level.

Anyone confirm if Malakai Champion is NGA? If he is that will remove another small forward from the available draft pool.
According to Adam Jones the WA Footy Commission talent manager in the WestOZ
"“Malakai is from Kalgoorlie and is part of the NGA Academy at the West Coast Eagles.”

Last edited:
Just seen Draper's highlights and I'm shocked more people aren't talking about him! Elite pace, leader of SA and good skills. The only downside is he might need to adjust to AFL level in a different position.
He's a gun. A bit scarred from the JHF saga. Draper is right up there with FOS, Smillie and Smith at this stage imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the top end of the draft being so even do you think you guys will consider Trainor at pick 1/2?
You seem flushed with mids.
Not based on what I've seen in the champs but perhaps clubs rate his performances against those VFL team more highly.
We could still use another mid given we lost Taryn Thomas, Simpkin with his concussion history and Phillips fit long term is still in question I think.

With the top end of the draft being so even do you think you guys will consider Trainor at pick 1/2?
You seem flushed with mids.
Someone did mention we were interested in Luke but like I said not to long ago so many players get linked to clubs that only the recruiters and club personnel will know who we are really targeting in this draft. By my perspective I love Luke as a player and his connection to our club but to be professional you must tick all the boxes, in other words they will go over testing results once the combine is over, medical reports, personal things and so on and so on, throw in that they have been watching these boys for four or five years and you get the picture.

At the end of the day you either pick the best talent that is available or you trade down and see if you can get two picks in that 7 to 12 range, if not we will be selecting a midfielder. Lots of opposition supporters have said and will say exactly what I'm about to say that "North have too many mids, that's all they take" or "If North take a mid this draft they should shut up shop cause their cooked"!

What they don't understand is that by getting rid of Tarryn we are one mid short to the point where we will be finished in that department. My opinion, we will not be taking Luke at our first pick, in actual fact if we are going to take a tall with our first pick it would be a position that we badly need, a young emerging key forward and a name that you will be hearing a lot more about is Harry Armstrong, the kid is a gun and has so much potential its bubbling out.

Some recruiters will probably have him middle of the first round, some maybe late first round but I'm very sure their would be quite a few who have him very close to the top of their talent order in this draft and it just so happens that we will be getting a key forward in this draft, the question is, at what pick?

Last edited:

I want him with our first, as I said a few pages back a midfield of:
“Xerri with LDU, George, Sheezel, Colby and Draper is elite.
Good luck stopping that from 2026 and beyond.”

Every year:

"We should split the pick. Too many mids"

(NM mids in AA sides, top 10s of AFLCA, AFLPA, Brownlow etc 2020-2023: 0)

"We should trade our future first"

(NM top 16 finishes 2020-2024: 0)
What are you trying to suggest KC? :think:

I want him with our first, as I said a few pages back a midfield of:
“Xerri with LDU, George, Sheezel, Colby and Draper is elite.
Good luck stopping that from 2026 and beyond.”
That midfield mix is elite. Would have the potential to be one of the best midfields ever.
If Comben goes forward and we could go after Balta as a free agent next year, we would have the spine and midfield to seriously contend from 2026 onwards.

Kayle Gerreyn (West Perth)

Playing in the AFL has been a life long ambition for talented West Perth Colts player Kayle Gerreyn.

Having enjoyed a stand out season and represented his state at the AFL Under 18 National Championships, Gerreyn is in the frame to be selected in this year’s Draft.

“It’s always been a dream of mine to play at the top level since I first started playing footy,” Gerreyn said.

“It was never really a focus when I played junior footy as it was more a dream rather than a realistic goal to play AFL.

“But leading into my draft year, it has been the biggest focus to give myself the best chance possible.”

The 18-year-old has been used in a couple of roles this season, a challenge which may make him more valuable to clubs come Draft day.

“I feel like I’ve had a steady and consistent season so far, starting the year with West Perth as a main ruck with short spurts up forward,” he said.

“Then entering the state system and being a primary forward, learning the craft and the balance between the two positions has been an adjustment I’ve had to make.

“Coming back into a pretty successful side with the Colts has been really good and hopefully we can push for a top three finish.”

Kayle’s Dad Chris, also a forward, played for Claremont and East Perth in the WAFL during the 1990’s.

He was also drafted by Hawthorn but didn’t play a match at AFL level.

“My Dad has always been my biggest supporter and educator through my years of footy,” Kayle explained.

“Growing up and him being my coach probably put a little bit of pressure towards expectation in playing, but now he’s transitioned out of that role and his ability to support me and build a more father son footy relationship has helped enormously.”

Gerreyn’s love of the game began even before he started school.

“I started playing footy at the age of four and then I joined the West Perth Development Squad at 14,” he said.

“Being a late developer has helped me with my height and size, meaning I can compete against bigger bodies.”

Combining his time with the Falcons and the State 18’s program has filled Kayle’s calender this year.

“I thought the WAFC program was a really enjoyable experience, being side by side with the best players in the state every training session,” Gerreyn said.

“I felt exiting the program it really developed me not only as a footballer but as a person.”

In seven Colts games this year Gerreyn has kicked 9 goals, averaged 20 disposals a match, and has had 137 hit-outs, proving his versatility to AFL recruiters.

“At the moment the primary focus has been developing my forward craft and getting on the scoreboard,” Gerreyn revealed.

“So building that second string to go forward has really developed my game.

“If I’m lucky enough to get an opportunity at the highest level, the plan is that I’d be a key forward while pinch hitting in the ruck.”

I like the liking of Murphy Reid.

Very much a Sheezel-lite in terms of his skillset, play-style and even testing numbers.

Similar feelings regarding drafting him to Taj Hotton for me - I think he's a worthy top 3 selection but I'm not sure the club will have the balls to do it. I'd have both Hotton and Reid ahead of other more popular names like Smillie, Jagga Smith, Lalor and Langford.

WHO IS IN THE HUNT TO BE PICK NO. 1?

Talk to recruiters and most of them will give you a list of six or seven names.

There’s no clear standout like Harley Reid this year.

Josh Smillie and Finn O’Sullivan entered the season as the early No. 1 fancies, but haven’t quite lived up to expectations due to form and fitness.

That said, both are still firmly in the mix to be the first player picked in November if they can finish the season strongly.

On form this year, Jagga Smith and Levi Ashcroft (Brisbane Lions father-son) have arguably been standouts, while Sid Draper, Sam Lalor and Luke Trainor also have plenty of fans.

IF RICHMOND HAS PICK ONE:

Chris says:
The Tigers have only had one top-10 draft pick in the past 11 years, that being Josh Gibcus (pick 9, 2021). So, new recruiting boss Chris Toce will need to nail this one. Smith – who has been starring in VFL games with the Tigers in recent weeks – oozes class and has begun doing more damage with ball in hand in the second half of the year. He’s on the smaller side for a midfielder at 181cm, but that won’t hold him back. Errol Gulden’s only 175cm. Standing 194cm, Smillie offers a big-body midfield option in the mould of Patrick Cripps which would suit Richmond nicely, while Lalor has Christian Petracca-like traits.

Verdict: I still think the Tigers would be keen on Smillie. Like all young players, he’s got some areas of his game to work on, but the strengths are clear with his ability to win clearances, contested possession and ground ball.

Dan says: Richmond is crying out for talented young midfielders and fortunately the top-end is stacked with them. Smith has dominated at VFL level for Richmond and would probably be playing in their depleted AFL side if he was on their list, while Smillie’s contested ball-winning and monster frame would fill a glaring need. O’Sullivan has the competitive streak and evasiveness that can break a game open, while Lalor has shown he can be a matchwinner in the midfield and up forward.

Verdict: Tough choice between Smith and Smillie but if I was the Tiges, I’d be leaning towards Jagga. He’s not only bankable but also has shades of Zak Butters with his ball-winning ability and elusiveness in traffic. Some might say he’s got the moves like Jagga.

IF NORTH MELBOURNE HAS PICK ONE:

Chris says:
If the Kangaroos finish with the No. 1 pick, I suspect they might look to trade it and move a few spots down the order. But will there be any buyers? We saw GWS trade up the No. 1 pick in 2022, handing North Melbourne back picks 3 and 12 and swapping some later selections. But with so much uncertainty around the top picks this year, clubs are unlikely to be desperate to move up. If the Roos were able to split the pick and move back to say No. 5, reliable 194cm intercept defender Luke Trainor would be an ideal fit.

Verdict: It’s time to start addressing some other areas of the ground outside of the midfield for the Kangaroos. Hence, Trainor might be the man even if they don’t trade the No. 1 selection.

Dan says: The golden rule of drafting is to pick on talent rather than positional needs early, but North Melbourne can afford to be a little picky given they are well stocked with smaller midfielders. At 194 centimetres, Smillie can complement the likes of Luke Davies-Uniacke, George Wardlaw and Harry Sheezel and can be a marking presence up forward. There isn’t many talls at the very top-end, but Trainor has proven he is a worthy top-10 prospect, while his Sandringham Dragons teammate Harry Armstrong is coming with a rush.

Verdict: Smillie is a worthy No. 1 pick in his own right, and he shapes as the missing piece of the puzzle for North Melbourne’s midfield.

Last edited:
I like the liking of Murphy Reid.

Very much a Sheezel-lite in terms of his skillset, play-style and even testing numbers.

Similar feelings regarding drafting him to Taj Hotton for me - I think he's a worthy top 3 selection but I'm not sure the club will have the balls to do it. I'd have both Hotton and Reid ahead of other more popular names like Smillie, Jagga Smith, Lalor and Langford.
Yeah it was the nutmeg handball to himself on the boundary line in the VICM vs VICC game that got me.

I think his footy IQ is a bit sharper than the rest and that’s why he’s similar to Sheez.

I Hope Radelaide offer us a deal to swap 2 for 4 & F2nd so they can get Draper (would absolutely love him but go home factor) and we can take Reid with 4.

Replicate Sheez’s backline gig with Reid next year and free up Colby to take a wing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back