Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like the question for this draft isn't whether there's anyone that you want, but rather, is there anyone that you wouldn't want at our pick?

I think that I'd be happy with any of the players being mentioned.

Maybe Trainor is a stretch at pick 2, but if we think that he's worth it then we could use that type of player who can defend and have clean disposal. We saw that today.

Maybe Draper is a bit one dimensional and could have an interstate flight risk. But I wouldn't be mad if we took him.

From reports and vision his strengths are IQ, finding space in tight, good field kicking and hitting the scoreboard.

We have most of that. What we need is another manic competitor with class, run and athleticism to fill the gaps. The only players in the mids that consistently apply good defensive pressure is Phillips (who is still building a tank) and Wardlaw (who is still building a tank). Having another player with Sheezel and Kerch who can continue to remain the game and compete on any line will be huge.
l have no doubt that Bo Allan fills your requirements but it's unlikely we'll take him at 2 or 3...need to really split pick 2!.

Personally, if we could manufacture somehow to grab Trainor and Allan, it gives us a KPD and 190cm mid/def/fwd with burst,power and physicality...two talents that you can be versatile with.

Last edited:
Have to take smile if available.
Can't see us taking another 180cm mid.
Need that Bont/Cripps type who can rest forward and be a real threat on field
After watching Carlton and the Dogs I agree, i know he's not a contested bull but he can work on that + Bont isn't really aswell

After watching Carlton and the Dogs I agree, i know he's not a contested bull but he can work on that + Bont isn't really aswell
Is he just not a bull in terms of style, or is he soft and scared of contact? And is he strong?

Does he just not push others around, or does he also get pushed around?

Not rhetorical questions. I haven't watched him enough.

Clubs who had access to a player who was NGA academy eligible couldn’t match bids on academy players inside the top 40 picks. Meaning if a player was expected to be in the top 40 they’d essentially be in the open pool of available players.

AFL changed it a few weeks ago that clubs can match NGA players no matter where the bid comes in. So Isaac Kako for example, who is expected to go top 15, is now gauranteed to go to Essendon rather than being in the open pool.

So the draft is more compromised again.

Conspiracy theory: there must be some good talent coming available to an AFL pet club.

Is he just not a bull in terms of style, or is he soft and scared of contact? And is he strong?

Does he just not push others around, or does he also get pushed around?

Not rhetorical questions. I haven't watched him enough.

For a kid his size he gets pushed off the footy pretty easily. He is still growing into his body, but at the champs he often had his colours lowered at the coal face to other kids who he was giving away 10cm and 10+kg too.

He just isn’t that strong over the ball, and when he gets tackled he struggled to dispose of the ball. Guys like Cripps, Green, Bont rarely don’t get their hands free to dispose of the ball,

He just isn’t an overly contested/physical player, plays more of a 1st receiver role.

So the draft is more compromised again.

Conspiracy theory: there must be some good talent coming available to an AFL pet club.

Just a coincidence that Kako is available to Brad Scott’s team and Laura Kane (the rule maker) and Scott have had a pretty solid working relationship in the past….

Kayle Gerreyn with 29 disposals, 2 marks, 2 goals, 34 hitouts in the colts today. Would love to see him get a crack at senior level before the end of the year.
Same here...it's not like West Perth is flying at the moment and competing for a flag, they're dead last!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it correct that in any other year except last, we could and should have been able to snag Riley Sanders ?
I don't think it was just last year. They changed for 2021 or 2022, so the last two or three years. Melbourne missed out on Mac Andrew because of it. Gold Coast ended up with him . They got their own and someone else's academy players. LOL.

I thought so too, smilie is too big a weapon to pass.

He is great for mismatches so lets take him.

Smilie atm doesn't have good overhead ability, so something to be trained on intensely once he has arrived at the clubyou would think...

Is there some buddyness here or am I off base?

Nah, I’ll happily admit that he is one of my favourites from this draft mainly because I think he has huge upside potential because of his frame/athleticism combination and kicking a skill.

Was checking the WAFL colt stats and out of all the WA draftees he had the most dominant performance (purely based on stats)

Nah, I’ll happily admit that he is one of my favourites from this draft mainly because I think he has huge upside potential because of his frame/athleticism combination and kicking a skill.

Was checking the WAFL colt stats and out of all the WA draftees he had the most dominant performance (purely based on stats)

lol, i meant are there some similarities with lance buddy Franklin? Ie frame, athleticism and kicking skill (and overhead marking being a work in progress)

lol, i meant are there some similarities with lance buddy Franklin? Ie frame, athleticism and kicking skill (and overhead marking being a work in progress)
Nah Buddy was an athletic and aerobic freak, Gerreyn is a young Jono Brown body shape - more power game but has some agility

Can we please select a couple of people with exquisite foot skills.

I don’t care if they usually get the pill 100 times a game, if they can’t pinpoint a stab pass to get us out of our backline then FRO..

Harry Sheezel can’t be running from the forward pocket to the backline everytime we have a kick-in.

That would be great..

Far out I’m a flop sometimes! Completely misinterpreted that one.

Not the same type of player! Despite being an excellent athlete so don’t think he has the crazy dexterity and movement of Buddy.

Think he ends up a big bodied Charlie Dixon type as a he develops. Can be competitive in the ruck but a real physical presence forward of centre.

Can we please select a couple of people with exquisite foot skills.

I don’t care if they usually get the pill 100 times a game, if they can’t pinpoint a stab pass to get us out of our backline then FRO..

Harry Sheezel can’t be running from the forward pocket to the backline everytime we have a kick-in.

That would be great..

You're describing Gavin Urquhart. Hard pass.

For a kid his size he gets pushed off the footy pretty easily. He is still growing into his body, but at the champs he often had his colours lowered at the coal face to other kids who he was giving away 10cm and 10+kg too.

He just isn’t that strong over the ball, and when he gets tackled he struggled to dispose of the ball. Guys like Cripps, Green, Bont rarely don’t get their hands free to dispose of the ball,

He just isn’t an overly contested/physical player, plays more of a 1st receiver role.
That's a bit more of a worry. I was hoping that he was strong but just not applying it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back