Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

A day to remember for Jobe Shanahan as he made his VFL debut and managed to mark the occasion by slotting 4 goals to help his team get up for a win. His second goal was an outstanding solo effort with a contested mark, follow by a quick and decisive play on and long running shot from outside 50s to an empty goal square. His third and fourth goals showed his lead/mark craft as well as lovely set shot goal kicking from near the 50 meter arc.

A day to remember for Jobe Shanahan as he made his VFL debut and managed to mark the occasion by slotting 4 goals to help his team get up for a win. His second goal was an outstanding solo effort with a contested mark, follow by a quick and decisive play on and long running shot from outside 50s to an empty goal square. His third and fourth goals showed his lead/mark craft as well as lovely set shot goal kicking from near the 50 meter arc.

I genuinely think this year there will be 2 superstar forwards come out and about 6 to choose from and at the moment it’s tough to figure out who they are. How do you rank the crop?

4 goals at VFL level is impressive.

I really like the way he leads at the ball carrier.

Agree with the above post this draft has a number of good KPFs, our recruiters need to pick the eyes out of it.

I genuinely think this year there will be 2 superstar forwards come out and about 6 to choose from and at the moment it’s tough to figure out who they are. How do you rank the crop?
I am still worried about Shanahan's competitiveness. The kind of things he showed in this game are not what I'm worried about. I just feel like you don't see many elite key forwards at AFL level that aren't contested beasts who love to hit bodies.

I prefer Armstrong I think. He's not a crazy beast either, but he's a little better than Jobe at everything that Jobe is good at, and he's a little better in 1v1s.

Most people have gone off Jonty Faull, I think mostly due to lack of athletic traits, but I love his all around game, ability at ground level and willingness to scrap for everything.

Ranking them, I'd probably go:
Armstrong
Faull
Gerreyn

Then

Jacklock
Matlock
Sims
Shanahan

But the last 4 are close enough I wouldn't be confident picking among them.

Draft strategy this year will be interesting.

Do we grab a Draper, Smillie or O'Sullivan and say well this is our last chance to grab an elite mid at the pointy end?

Alternative - it's an even draft and there are no massive standouts so better off spreading the risk by trading down to grab genuine need (Trainor) + a good key forward of interest?

Second alternative - try to do both by trading F1?

I am still worried about Shanahan's competitiveness. The kind of things he showed in this game are not what I'm worried about. I just feel like you don't see many elite key forwards at AFL level that aren't contested beasts who love to hit bodies.

I prefer Armstrong I think. He's not a crazy beast either, but he's a little better than Jobe at everything that Jobe is good at, and he's a little better in 1v1s.

Most people have gone off Jonty Faull, I think mostly due to lack of athletic traits, but I love his all around game, ability at ground level and willingness to scrap for everything.

Ranking them, I'd probably go:
Armstrong
Faull
Gerreyn

Then

Jacklock
Matlock
Sims
Shanahan

But the last 4 are close enough I wouldn't be confident picking among them.
Gerreyn isn’t one I have had with that top group as much but a lot on the boards seem to love him. It seems that he would get drafted deeper in the draft than the locks. Could be steal

Gerreyn isn’t one I have had with that top group as much but a lot on the boards seem to love him. It seems that he would get drafted deeper in the draft than the locks. Could be steal
In this years draft I really don't think we can lose, I'll explain why. If we do the "traditional", then we'll get our last top line mid and a key forward with our 2nd round pick, other picks will be for need and talent mixed in with each other. If we were to trade down, then regardless of who we get, you've got to be excited for the reason Will and Brady will have targeted two players they believe can help our up & coming team with more talent and class.

I've said it a few times and I'll say it again, this years draft and trade/ free agency is not only the most important in our history {since the draft began back in 1986} but we have to get this right and everything I've seen has me believing that if last years draft was an "A" for manoeuvring picks and picking the talent we got then I SUGEST GET VERY EXCITED WHAT PICKS WE END UP WITH AND THE PLAYERS WE HAVE TARGETED IN THIS YEARS DRAFT!

So the draft is more compromised again.

Conspiracy theory: there must be some good talent coming available to an AFL pet club.
It's more to do with getting or identifying more talent (indigenous or multicultural) before the Tassie team comes in. Need to find another 45 players to add to the system.

It's more to do with getting or identifying more talent (indigenous or multicultural) before the Tassie team comes in. Need to find another 45 players to add to the system.
If Wags is playing for a side that'll probably be second or third on the ladder in about 40 minutes then there are probably already 45-50 players in state leagues that could make the step up as well.

Draft strategy this year will be interesting.

Do we grab a Draper, Smillie or O'Sullivan and say well this is our last chance to grab an elite mid at the pointy end?

Alternative - it's an even draft and there are no massive standouts so better off spreading the risk by trading down to grab genuine need (Trainor) + a good key forward of interest?

Second alternative - try to do both by trading F1?
If we are passing up the opportunity for FOS, then:
1) KPF
2) Crumbing forward
3) Genuine HB talent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep never gone.
Beat me to it by this much.....;)
So Close Nbc 90Th Special GIF by NBC

You're describing Gavin Urquhart. Hard pass.
But a bread McKenzie clone in the other hand

They should allow each club to have 3 extra players for the next few years till Tassie come in. Then cut it back to normal size lists - you’ll have a lot of delistings that Tassie could pick up that have experience in an afl environment

But a bread McKenzie clone in the other hand

They should allow each club to have 3 extra players for the next few years till Tassie come in. Then cut it back to normal size lists - you’ll have a lot of delistings that Tassie could pick up that have experience in an afl environment
That makes too much sense for the AFL to contemplate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back