Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon There would be significant cross over with those in development (Barlow) and those in recruitment. I'd imagine that Barlow may even be involved in draftee interviews and so forth, I know that's the case at other clubs.
But this is North Melbourne we don't even interview our draft picks. ;)

The move of Travaglia into the middle continues with reasonable success. His intense competitiveness leads to him applying significant defensive pressure around contests and stoppage, and his high work rate allows him to find plenty of the footy on the spread. He's not as clean with his hands and incisive with his movement as other top line mids in the pool at this stage though, which leads to most of his work at stoppage being scrappy.

Wtf is sheez doing
He’s been that ridiculous our admin team can’t be bothered even updating the page, by the time they update it and make it go live he’s broken another 5 records..

May as well wait until he’s retired and spend a month entering all his records in.

Going back to catch up on an early season game that I'd skipped. This was probably Jagga's weakest game of the season, which is remarkable to say given he still stuffed the stat sheet like few others are capable of.

For the first block of game this season Jagga and Oakleigh were experimenting with him more as a forward, so watching this will give viewers an idea of what that might look like at AFL level if he plays in a similar role early in his career. I think its fair to say that he never really settled as a forward this season. He really started to hit peak form once that experiment was largely abandoned in favour of him moving back into the midfield full time, and he didn't really start to motor in this particular game until moved into the midfield in the second half.

Harry Armstrong is building a strong case to be the first key forward to have his name read out on draft night. Here we see his first game back in the Talent League after an injury layoff and a break to play school footy. Not a prolific outing possession wise, but he showed how dangerous he can be with the opportunities that come his way slotting 4 goals including the game winner on the siren after a typical demonstration of his lead/mark craft.

Watched the replay of the GWV Rebels and Gippsland Power game last night. The game was overall, very scrappy with lots of turnovers/rushed disposal and plenty of fumbles. I obviously wasn't at the game, but it looked as though it was pretty cold and windy conditions.

Couple of my favourites were really influential on both sides notably, Jonty Faull (GWV), Jack Ough (GWV), Xavier Lindsay (Gippsland). While other potential draftees like Alix Tauru, Rhys Unwin, Olly Hannaford, Floyd Burmeister & Ricky Mentha also had an impact.

Jonty Faull confirmed to me why he is one of my favourite key forwards in this draft pool. All day he presented and attacked the contest with real authority. Broke packs, brought the ball to ground, but also clunked a couple of nice contested marks. Showed his natural forward craft by getting on the end of a few nice inside 50's on the lead. Ended up kicking 3.3, 12 disposals and 5 marks. He is going to be a big bodied key forward once he develops, and I just love his appetite for the contest. I'll happily say that I'm not at all worried about his athleticism and he more than makes up for it with his footy IQ and forward craft.

Jack Ough, continues to go from strength to strength this season, with his athleticism and running capacity a real highlight. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he ends up pushing into the top 30 come draft night as he is a real unique prospect at 193cm. Additionally, despite not having much of a impact at the championships, he has had a really consistent Coates League season and has hardly played a bad game all season in a variety of roles. On the day though, he was the best player on the ground, playing more through the midfield rather than his traditional role across wing and half back. All day he was one touch, and clean around the stoppages, while also providing run and carry on the outside. His ball use was clean and his decision making was sound. Ended up with 25 disposals, kicked 1.1 and 4 inside 50's.

I won't go into too much detail about Xavier Lindsay's game as noobermensch covered off on it really well with his highlights video on the previous game, but I just wanted to touch on his physicality and leadership. Earlier this year he was considered more of an outside distributor/classy ball user type, but over the course of the year he has really developed a harder edge to his game particularly around the stoppages. Has a lot of repeat efforts, knocks on, bumps that create space ect. I really like seeing those team things develop in a draftees game. Also, on his leadership, he really tries hard to get players up and about, and tries to lead from the front with his effort around the contest. Always a good trait in a draft prospect.

Was hoping to see Alix Tauru play as a key defender on Jonty Faull, but for whatever reason he played the game purely as a deep key forward. Dropped a couple of marks, but showcased his excellent ground level with some clean pick ups and a few snaps on goals. He really leaps at the footy too and gets some serious height. Ended up kicking 2.3 from 13 disposals and 4 marks, which is a pretty good effort considering it was his first crack in the forward line.

Hannaford and Unwin for the rebels were a big reason why they ended up winning the game, their defensive intensity across half forward was a real highlight in tough conditions, their ground ball efforts, intensity and cleanliness below their knees resulted in numerous shots on goal.

Watched the replay of the GWV Rebels and Gippsland Power game last night. The game was overall, very scrappy with lots of turnovers/rushed disposal and plenty of fumbles. I obviously wasn't at the game, but it looked as though it was pretty cold and windy conditions.

Couple of my favourites were really influential on both sides notably, Jonty Faull (GWV), Jack Ough (GWV), Xavier Lindsay (Gippsland). While other potential draftees like Alix Tauru, Rhys Unwin, Olly Hannaford, Floyd Burmeister & Ricky Mentha also had an impact.

Jonty Faull confirmed to me why he is one of my favourite key forwards in this draft pool. All day he presented and attacked the contest with real authority. Broke packs, brought the ball to ground, but also clunked a couple of nice contested marks. Showed his natural forward craft by getting on the end of a few nice inside 50's on the lead. Ended up kicking 3.3, 12 disposals and 5 marks. He is going to be a big bodied key forward once he develops, and I just love his appetite for the contest. I'll happily say that I'm not at all worried about his athleticism and he more than makes up for it with his footy IQ and forward craft.

Jack Ough, continues to go from strength to strength this season, with his athleticism and running capacity a real highlight. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he ends up pushing into the top 30 come draft night as he is a real unique prospect at 193cm. Additionally, despite not having much of a impact at the championships, he has had a really consistent Coates League season and has hardly played a bad game all season in a variety of roles. On the day though, he was the best player on the ground, playing more through the midfield rather than his traditional role across wing and half back. All day he was one touch, and clean around the stoppages, while also providing run and carry on the outside. His ball use was clean and his decision making was sound. Ended up with 25 disposals, kicked 1.1 and 4 inside 50's.

I won't go into too much detail about Xavier Lindsay's game as noobermensch covered off on it really well with his highlights video on the previous game, but I just wanted to touch on his physicality and leadership. Earlier this year he was considered more of an outside distributor/classy ball user type, but over the course of the year he has really developed a harder edge to his game particularly around the stoppages. Has a lot of repeat efforts, knocks on, bumps that create space ect. I really like seeing those team things develop in a draftees game. Also, on his leadership, he really tries hard to get players up and about, and tries to lead from the front with his effort around the contest. Always a good trait in a draft prospect.

Was hoping to see Alix Tauru play as a key defender on Jonty Faull, but for whatever reason he played the game purely as a deep key forward. Dropped a couple of marks, but showcased his excellent ground level with some clean pick ups and a few snaps on goals. He really leaps at the footy too and gets some serious height. Ended up kicking 2.3 from 13 disposals and 4 marks, which is a pretty good effort considering it was his first crack in the forward line.

Hannaford and Unwin for the rebels were a big reason why they ended up winning the game, their defensive intensity across half forward was a real highlight in tough conditions, their ground ball efforts, intensity and cleanliness below their knees resulted in numerous shots on goal.
Nice write up. I'm going to have to do that Jack Ough game, and I'd be lying if it wasn't at least partly because the commentator kept on calling him "Off" which gave me the giggles throughout.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting to get your read on a couple of small forwards:
Patrick Said from the Canons.
Noah Tullio from Falcons.
Not sure if you were asking me or roos_fanatic08. I'll admit that I haven't paid much attention to Tullio at this stage, at least partly because the Falcons don't have a lot of top end prospects this year so I just work with their game footage less than other teams.

Said has been building really nicely into his season. Seems to do a few eye catching things every game. Definitely on my radar. I think he gets overlooked a bit because he plays a similar role to Kako (mid/forward) but he's just not quite as ballistic or exciting... which isn't his fault of course.

Not sure if you were asking me or roos_fanatic08. I'll admit that I haven't paid much attention to Tullio at this stage, at least partly because the Falcons don't have a lot of top end prospects this year so I just work with their game footage less than other teams.

Said has been building really nicely into his season. Seems to do a few eye catching things every game. Definitely on my radar. I think he gets overlooked a bit because he plays a similar role to Kako (mid/forward) but he's just not quite as ballistic or exciting... which isn't his fault of course.
Both actually and any Coates League watchers!!

Interested in Tullio l've seen him being lively and quite clever use of his height when watching Jacques and River but at 170cm, could be his downfall.

Patrick Said..yeah l'm thinking this kid could be a smokie/mid 3rd rounder/maybe high 2nd that could be as good or dependable is a more appropriate word, than Kako. Also, Damien Hollow more a mid than small forwardish?
Cannon's have a such a mosquito fleet up forward!!

Both actually and any Coates League watchers!!

Interested in Tullio l've seen him being lively and quite clever use of his height when watching Jacques and River but at 170cm, could be his downfall.

Patrick Said..yeah l'm thinking this kid could be a smokie/mid 3rd rounder/maybe high 2nd that could be as good or dependable is a more appropriate word, than Kako. Also, Damien Hollow more a mid than small forwardish?
Cannon's have a such a mosquito fleet up forward!!
I was quietly impressed with Hollow early in the season. He works his ass off and can play a really disciplined role. I remember him being directly matched up on Levi early in the season and beating him pretty solidly. He did some nice things in the first Champs game as well from memory.

I think Hollow's difficulty will be whether he has enough of a point of difference or x-factor to really stand out. Its not immediately clear what his AFL level attributes are apart from hard work.

Harry Armstrong is building a strong case to be the first key forward to have his name read out on draft night. Here we see his first game back in the Talent League after an injury layoff and a break to play school footy. Not a prolific outing possession wise, but he showed how dangerous he can be with the opportunities that come his way slotting 4 goals including the game winner on the siren after a typical demonstration of his lead/mark craft.

Geez this kid looks like a player to me.

Beautiful kick, appears to be smart and leads well with decent hands but also very athletic and jumps well at the ball.

at 195cm he would be appear to absolutely perfect for us to take over Toby Pink's current position.

I was quietly impressed with Hollow early in the season. He works his ass off and can play a really disciplined role. I remember him being directly matched up on Levi early in the season and beating him pretty solidly. He did some nice things in the first Champs game as well from memory.

I think Hollow's difficulty will be whether he has enough of a point of difference or x-factor to really stand out. Its not immediately clear what his AFL level attributes are apart from hard work.

I’ve been big on Hollow. I think in terms of a small, he’s pretty quick and a relatively big kick, and has played in pretty much every small position. Captain of Calder too and has played Coates League for 3 years. I find it much easier for he to find a role than some of the more X-factor / boom or bust small forwards. He can be a smaller wingman type, small defender or more likely that high half forward. Reminds me of Dylan Moore a bit but as well a bit of Brad Close, albeit probably not as good overhead.

To comment on RF previous post, Unwin and Hannaford have it in spades for what we need. Hannaford that tough harasser/bashing type of a small (I.e. current Ben Keays), while Unwin brings that energy with real agility and speed (I.e. Brent Daniels (not as good)).

Interesting to get your read on a couple of small forwards:
Patrick Said from the Canons.
Noah Tullio from Falcons.

I haven't watched enough of the Falcons this year to form a solid opinion on Tullio. In the game I watched earlier against the Bushies, he only kicked the 1 goal and didn't seem to stand out all that much.

I really like Patrick Said, in recent weeks I've actually added him to my list of draftable players. He is so clean and is such a good ground level player. He is balanced, uses the ball well and can accumulate the footy up the ground. He is a good finisher around goals too.

Neither of them has received a state combine invite so the likelihood of the getting drafted is on the lower scale.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back