Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Far cry from the marking he displayed in the academy game and his early season sandringham form. Everything he did in those games was one touch.

I doubt he ends up in North colours unless we split our pick or trade in F1.
Where do you think he will get drafted? (Pick number)

Might depend on what happens with the Dees pick 7 (Houston?), GC 6 (Rioli?) and Hawks 9 (Barass?).
Yeah thinking that too đź‘Ť
Just thinking we may not want to go too far back

Not a personal dig, as I've seen plenty of others saying the same thing, but I really don't like that comparison.

Butters is manic with his attack on the ball and with his defensive pressure...he also has pretty good breakaway/top end speed. Smith isn't a manic contested player and is one of the poorer defensive players in this draft. He racks up his possessions because of high footy IQ and his ability to move from contest to contest. Not sure if his athletic testing supports it, but Smith seems to me pretty one paced.

If you had a Butters type available in this draft they'd absolutely be in the conversation at Pick 2. As it stands I don't think we'd look at Smith as he doesn't offer a point of difference in the same way Butters would. FOS and Smillie definitely do offer a point of difference though.
Hey roos why do you think the Tigers would want him ahead of the others Thats even if they really do want him at 1.

Interesting that the draft watchers on here are pretty quiet about Draper.

Is it simply the SA thing? Or are there knocks on his play.

If we are to take 2 to the draft, Draper is my No.2 to FOS.

If we don’t take one of the two above, I would rather trade down to get 2 of Armstrong, Langford, Berry, Moraes, Lalor, Hotton, Travaglia or Reid.

If we went Smillie, how would h fair in his first year at HF, Wing or HB? I don’t really see him playing in front of the mids we have.

Josh Battle as well. Saints might pull the trigger at 5 if they lose him. Anywhere from 5-10 I think Luke goes.
Only gut feeling at this stage on him signing a new contract at the saints 🤷‍♂️

6-10. That’ll depend on trades though. Club might pull the trigger a dash earlier if it suits their list needs and they don’t require a midfielder.
Let’s say it stays pretty much the same, only we trade down with GC17,
Apart from us, who else would be that interested in a Key Back that early?

Hey roos why do you think the Tigers would want him ahead of the others Thats even if they really do want him at 1.

They are at the start of the rebuild. Adding a real neat, reliable accumulator in Jagga Smith would complement the bash and crash types they already have in their midfield with Taranto & Hopper.

In saying that, with their draft haul they will likely have they could easily risk taking FOS, Draper or Smillie.

Let’s say it stays pretty much the same, only we trade down with GC17,
Apart from us, who else would be that interested in a Key Back that early?

Saints if they lose battle...maybe. Gold Coast @6 if they go best available.

As it stands though, I reckon Hawks would maybe look to pull the trigger @10, but I reckon they’d have a key forward (Armstrong/Whitlock) as a priority over a key defender.

You’d think North, Richmond, WC, Adel, Freo all would be prioritising other parts of the field.

They are at the start of the rebuild. Adding a real neat, reliable accumulator in Jagga Smith would complement the bash and crash types they already have in their midfield with Taranto & Hopper.

In saying that, with their draft haul they will likely have they could easily risk taking FOS, Draper or Smillie.
Yeah when you say risk taking one of those 3 what do you mean. I kinda thought none of them would really be a risk especially FOS and Draper. If you take away the go home factor with Draper which i am not sure there is one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah when you say risk taking one of those 3 what do you mean. I kinda thought none of them would really be a risk especially FOS and Draper. If you take away the go home factor with Draper which i am not sure there is one.

Jagga has had the most consistent year, has hardly played a bad game. Outside of Trainor I reckon he is the surest thing to be a 200+ gamer out of this crop. Only risk with him is that his body won’t build up enough to play his current role at AFL level.

Risks with the rest of them:
FOS - Injuries, no top age form.
Draper - Potential go home factor
Smillie - how does his game transition to AFL footy? Needs to improve his running capacity & intensity.

Jagga has had the most consistent year, has hardly played a bad game. Outside of Trainor I reckon he is the surest thing to be a 200+ gamer out of this crop. Only risk with him is that his body won’t build up enough to play his current role at AFL level.

Smillie - how does his game transition to AFL footy? Needs to improve his running capacity & intensity.
So looking at the potential risks with those 3 would you go Jagga if he was available at our pick.

So looking at the potential risks with those 3 would you go Jagga if he was available at our pick.

Probably not, we are at a different stage of our rebuild. The core of our midfield is just about built with LDU, Sheez, Wardlaw, Powell and McKercher.

If we are going to take midfielders they need to either; be a point of difference to what we have, or have the ability to play other positions. Jagga hasn’t shown much versatility in his game and with his athletic attributes isn’t going to be that damaging on a half back flank or on a wing. Whereas the other mids have some sort of point of difference.

FOS - running capacity, can play wing and half back.

Smillie - Height. Can play forward or back.

Draper - speed. Has shown he can play half forward in the SANFL seniors.

Langford - Height. Can play inside/outside and as a deep forward.

Imo, this is the year to split our top pick if we have a suitor such as GC.

We need to square away our KPPs now so they are coming on and starting to play at a high level when we are climbing the ladder.

The GC could look to trade up for a pick before Lombard is bid on.

Something like 2, 22, 40 for 6, 11, 26

6, 11, 26, 58

6 - Trainor
11- Armstrong
26 - M.Whitlock/Tauru/Faull/Sims/Shanahan/Mraz etc
58 - Stevens

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Imo, this is the year to split our top pick if we have a suitor such as GC.

We need to square away our KPPs now so they are coming on and starting to play at a high level when we are climbing the ladder.

The GC could look to trade up for a pick before Lombard is bid on.

Something like 2, 22, 40 for 6, 11, 26

6, 11, 26, 58

6 - Trainor
11- Armstrong
26 - M.Whitlock/Tauru/Faull/Sims/Shanahan/Mraz etc
58 - Stevens

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I like it, but GC will probably use 11 to entice Rioli from Richmond

Josh Battle as well. Saints might pull the trigger at 5 if they lose him. Anywhere from 5-10 I think Luke goes.
Yeah, if they lose Josh its possible, one thing that Adelaide, St Kilda, and Richmond have in common and the biggest need in history is a gun mid, make no mistake about that! Yes they have other needs as well but their first pick is a gun mid, if either of these clubs don't go a gun mid at their first pick not only will I be surprised but BIGFOOTY will have another meltdown just like that West Coast thread that caused a meltdown when they took Ginbey in the 2022 draft or was it the 2021 draft with Chesser, man that was the greatest thread ever on Bigfooty, if not it certainly goes close.

With Richmond, depending how many players leave and what picks they end up having, their biggest needs in my opinion are a bit like us minus the gun mid and defender but with Tarryn gone we have a spot left for one so its very much the same but in a different order. Ours would be in my opinion, 1/ Key forward 2/ Small forward 3/ Midfielder/winger to replace Tarryn. 4/ A second Key forward, I know we have Fin, but another understudy would be smart play with the midfield we are assembling, this is the draft to do it!

Richmond's needs: 1/ A gun midfielder 2/ Depending on picks maybe another midfielder. If their picks pretty much stay the same then a classy key forward is a must. 3/ I know a few on their board have said a small forward but they drafted Judson Clarke for this very reason , a fast creative small forward who takes his chances as well as Seth Campbell and Maurice Rioli jnr, so I'd say a dashing half back flanker, they have Tom Brown and Kaleb Smith who is a winger/half back flanker who they got from W.A, with their champions almost finished, now is the time to get a couple of nice ones before Tassie come into the comp.

Not a personal dig, as I've seen plenty of others saying the same thing, but I really don't like that comparison.

Butters is manic with his attack on the ball and with his defensive pressure...he also has pretty good breakaway/top end speed. Smith isn't a manic contested player and is one of the poorer defensive players in this draft. He racks up his possessions because of high footy IQ and his ability to move from contest to contest. Not sure if his athletic testing supports it, but Smith seems to me pretty one paced.

If you had a Butters type available in this draft they'd absolutely be in the conversation at Pick 2. As it stands I don't think we'd look at Smith as he doesn't offer a point of difference in the same way Butters would. FOS and Smillie definitely do offer a point of difference though.
Thats cool, happy to see things differently. I look back at Butters pre draft and see how he played then.

However i agree and as i said we'd have to make Smith work where as FOS or Smillie are a better fit for our list imo. I cant help but find myself re-warming to Smillie a 195cm mid/utility brings so many options. The goal below highlights part of it, kicking from 47ish and going through 3/4 post height.

www.youtube.com/clip/Ugkx7tpRNHwAJx4jBOga4DanjFOFMvfRFFeR?si=RgyPm4DmJfom1e02

Looking over Butter's draft year highlights V Smith's i stand by my statement, but respect your thoughts on it. Tbh i feel Smith's pace is fine, look how many times he backs up and other players only corral him knowing they can afford to let him past.

I looked over and posted draft watchers views on Bontempelli in his draft and they we're virtually the same as Smillies.

Draper to me is in a similar boat to Smith imo, both guns but lack the point of difference we need to balance out our list.

2 questions.

Take out the go home factor for Draper, any thing else mark him down?

Would the lack of exposed form for FOS tip the scales against taking him at 2 or 3?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back