Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm pretty confident Adelaide will be into Draper. They need quality mids, and it will be mighty embarrassing for them if Sid turns out to be the best kid in the draft.

2 for 4, f2 is doable.

Maybe we could package up 2 x f2 for a mid 1st?

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes it may be doable.

But to what end?

As I said, FOS and Draper may be the best fits of what might be the top 8.

You trade out of contention for those two list fits for a R2 pick?

FOS is definitely the best list fit of the top picks.

Smith probably the safest pick, not the best fit though. I don’t know how Simpkin, Phillips, Powell and Smith all work long term.

Langford is a bit of a POD, but probably similar to Tom Powell in a very general role way.

Smillie would be an ideal POD and the slam drunk pick if he was a Cripps style 6”5 contested beast, but he’s not. He’s more Brodie Kemp than Cripps.

Trainor at 2? No.

Reid at 2? No.

Draper is probably the one player other than FOS that provides a POD that you definitely can’t have enough of, that’s foot speed around stoppage. I hate that he’s SA and that he’s managed by Williams, but he arguably makes the most sense for us outside of FOS.

Everyone keeps saying “trade back, trade back, trade back”. But to ****ing who? And you realize you are going to be eating a shit sandwich of a deal in this draft? I.e Pick 2 for 12 and 14 or something.
100% agree. Top 3 on our board should be FOS, Draper, Smith. FOS is the best fit, but I think the Tigers would also have him at the top of their board, so most likely not going to happen. Draper is a jet, depends on the go home factor. Slightly less risky now with the initial 3 year contract. I think the only way we trade back is if the Crows are big into Draper and they can somehow acquire another first rounder from somewhere, say in the range of 12-15.

Yes it may be doable.

But to what end?

As I said, FOS and Draper may be the best fits of what might be the top 8.

You trade out of contention for those two list fits for a R2 pick?
I don't want, nor think we need another top 5 mid. I would like to trade down whether it be with GC/Freo or a couple of times with teams like Adl/StK who do want mids and dine out on kpp's...

Any combination of Trainor, Armstrong, Sims, Shanahan, Whitlock/s, Tauro please.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Anyone suggesting Smilie over Draper is kidding themselves. Just watch the clip from 2:27. Makes Smilie look like Jared Polec.

Anyone suggesting Smilie over Draper is kidding themselves. Just watch the clip from 2:27. Makes Smilie look like Jared Polec.
The power out of the contest is delicious!

Sent from my SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

FOS, Smillie Draper, would likely make life difficult for Jy and Will.

Powell needs to keep his great development up that his shown this year to make sure the injection of pace doesn’t leave him in Jy’s awkward limbo.

We still need good players and lots of them , obviously will het a ripper at 1 or 2

But need to nail our later picks and if possible find a way to get 3 inside 30 i think.

Teams will no doubt come for our 1 next year in one form or another

Whats it worth ? And would many of us consider it to get maybe a better balanced haul this year?

There was so much anticipation and expectation of what Finn would produce coming into his top age season, but up to now he's struggle through a series of set backs and never really come close to resembling the footballer of last year and years prior. He again started slowly here in the first quarter, but when he started dancing in the second quarter, showing some of the tricks he can pull out of his bag, things that few other footballers can match, there was a palpable sense of relief and excitement among watchers that finally the real Finn O'Sullivan might be about to stand up. There are still reasons why you might not choose to take him at pick 1, but at least we've again started to see why you just might.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not the only example either. Bo Allan & Luke Urquhart out bodied him on a number of occasions against WA, then Langford & Ivisic did the same in the VC/Metro game.

I hate to be too hard on him but he is 95kg but at times he plays like a kid who who is 70kg.

Why? Changed your mind?
His plodding in those clips. While i like the attributes he brings, i cant stomach much more being torched on the outside. Its bloody tight at the top end and we have to get it right. Ive had Draper in my top 4 so it really only a switch of a position.
Besides it would be fun watching McKercher and Draper leaving some scorched earth in their wake. If we want bigger body then perhaps Langford, he at least moves pretty well and strong overhead.

His plodding in those clips. While i like the attributes he brings, i cant stomach much more being torched on the outside. Its bloody tight at the top end and we have to get it right. Ive had Draper in my top 4 so it really only a switch of a position.
Besides it would be fun watching McKercher and Draper leaving some scorched earth in their wake. If we want bigger body then perhaps Langford, he at least moves pretty well and strong overhead.

Wardlaw is quicker than Colby and Draper over 10m.

If I was trading with Adelaide then I'd be trying to have an established player as the incentive to move back. But it also might be Richmond pick at 3, as well. So the crows might be comfortable that Draper will get to pick 4.

If there's a way to trade back and get Lalor or Langford + Trainor, and then draft a KPF with our 2nd rounder, then I would like that.

But if we're staying at 2 then FOS intrigues me.

Draper would spell the end of Phillips game time anfter the initial settling in period (anlthough his SANFL form suggests he’s just about ready to go) and Simpkin as a midfielder.

Powell’s CBA’s will go right down by extension in 18 months and he’s pretty much dog dirt playing 80% of the game on a flank. Unless he really spends a preseason at half back (which I’d like to see).

I’ve been pretty clear on this, I think if we take Jagga or Draper and they turn into young stars, Phillips and eventually Powell will end up on the trade block.

If we are settling on either of them in October, I think you will see Phillips shopped as early as this offseason. Which will make us look like idiots imo at a new club with genuine opportunity.

Who are some good mature aged players we should be looking at with our later picks?
I mentioned him a few pages ago, but Riley Bice from Werribee would be a good candidate, dashing half back flanker with a stack of speed.

Ex North VFL ruck Cooper Keough would be a good rookie list and ruck depth if Free is delisted.

Kobe Ryan is 20 years old and is one of the best performed mids in the SANFL, in the top 3 for possessions, tackles and ranking points. Plenty of upside with him in an AFL environment.

It’s not the only example either. Bo Allan & Luke Urquhart out bodied him on a number of occasions against WA, then Langford & Ivisic did the same in the VC/Metro game.

I hate to be too hard on him but he is 95kg but at times he plays like a kid who who is 70kg.

Hasn’t he had win contested ball during his junior career - how hasn’t he improved this part of his game.

Hasn’t he had win contested ball during his junior career - how hasn’t he improved this part of his game.
He is more than capable of winning his own ball, his highlights show it, he just doesn’t have that real desire to get his head over the ball and compete for those 50/50’s.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back