Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Outside of that, he looks like an unbelievable prospect.
Absolutely.

No one knows if the go home factor is even a thing....watching the highlights, he looks like the one to me. If not him, O'Sullivan. Didn't get it much yesterday, but he looked classy when he did.

Both seem like they enjoy laying a tackle too.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Can anyone explain to me why Draper isn't top our board?

He quite possibly could be.

As others have stated, North's intentions are like fort knox at the moment.

I think go home factors are a larger consideration than they were 5 years ago for draft boards.

3 year contracts help, but JHF was contracted (with the same manager).

There's some knock on effect considerations to our list as well with his recruitment.

Whilst there's no doubt in my mind Draper will be a better AFL footballer than Powell, given his physical profile, is the difference going to big enough to justify not spending the pick on an area which would be an even bigger upgrade?

Where does Draper fit in our midfield mix? In my mind he's a break from stoppage first receiver type that a young Dylan Shiel was at GWS. It would certainly be incredible to have him sitting with LDU off of Sheezel or Wardlaw.

I don't think he's a winger and whilst he think he's much more suited as a half forward than Powell with his pace, agility etc, It would also be a waste taking one of the best clearance mids in the draft with the intention of playing him half forward.

I've watched a lot more vision on him in the last 3 weeks and he's been elevated much higher on my board after his SANFL form, I'd be pretty happy picking him, but the elephant in the room is what that means for Phillips and Powell, and even Simpkin.

Perceived go home factor?

Be very dubious on an outstanding prospect from another state. 2yr contract never fazed NCJ, Port & his management. Do we think a 3yr contract would worry them ? Doubt it.

2 prospects on a par ? Grab the Vic.boy.

Last edited:
Be very dubious on outstanding prospect from another state. 2yr contract never fazed NCJ, Port & his management. Do we think a 3yr contract would worry them ? Doubt it.

Draper is a lifelong Crows fan.

But you are right, the plans will be drawn the minute we call his name.

I have FOS above him for this reason, but he's probably my pick to be the best player from the draft if I had one at this point. He's probably got the highest ceiling also with his pace and agility.

FOS isn't far behind, but even as one of his biggest supporters, you can't ignore the form now. He hasn't had 1 massive game this year and we are well past time surrounding being "underdone" with his earlier injuries.

I'd much rather know if he was battling OP or something.

He quite possibly could be.

As others have stated, North's intentions are like fort knox at the moment.

I think go home factors are a larger consideration than they were 5 years ago for draft boards.

3 year contracts help, but JHF was contracted (with the same manager).

There's some knock on effect considerations to our list as well with his recruitment.

Whilst there's no doubt in my mind Draper will be a better AFL footballer than Powell, given his physical profile, is the difference going to big enough to justify not spending the pick on an area which would be an even bigger upgrade?

Where does Draper fit in our midfield mix? In my mind he's a break from stoppage first receiver type that a young Dylan Shiel was at GWS. It would certainly be incredible to have him sitting with LDU off of Sheezel or Wardlaw.

I don't think he's a winger and whilst he think he's much more suited as a half forward than Powell with his pace, agility etc, It would also be a waste taking one of the best clearance mids in the draft with the intention of playing him half forward.

I've watched a lot more vision on him in the last 3 weeks and he's been elevated much higher on my board after his SANFL form, I'd be pretty happy picking him, but the elephant in the room is what that means for Phillips and Powell, and even Simpkin.

Shouldn't really matter. You take the best players you can at the picks available to be the best team possible.

If any of the bolded players become surplus to needs then we will be in an awesome position and they can be moved on.

No room for sentiment when it comes to winning flags

I have a feeling Richmond call out FOS name which means we have to go Draper. There is no one else worthy of a pick 2. Other than his obvious attributes, his leadership stands out. He looks to put his team on his back and make things happen. We need more of that. We need a premiership midfield, if Phillips or Powell or Simpkin or all of them lose their spots to better midfielders, good. The go home factor shouldn't be considered. We back ourselves in and even if he does go, it worked out for the better with JHF, getting Sheezel and Wardlaw. I'll spew if we don't take either of FOS or Draper with pick 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone explain to me why Draper isn't top our board?

Biggest concerns for mine would be the go home factor, his lack of versatility (centre square mid or bust imo) and his kicking consistency. The kicking though, is me just being a bit picky.

I think the go home factor is a genuine concern. His older brother Arlo never really settled in Melbourne and despite his talent never really got going in his two years on Collingwood’s list. I’m sure we’ll be doing due diligence in that space though.

I had concerns about his defensive intensity too, but since he has got his fitness back that hasn’t been a concern at all.

Absolutely.

No one knows if the go home factor is even a thing....watching the highlights, he looks like the one to me. If not him, O'Sullivan. Didn't get it much yesterday, but he looked classy when he did.

Both seem like they enjoy laying a tackle too.

Go home factor becomes a thing when they become established or their manager starts sniffing for a better contract/salary/playing time.
JHF was probably the truly homesick but mostly by coercion then again you had Ollie Henry saying he was homesick when forcing a trade to Geelong.
Just wait, if Tom Powell can go to another level next year, he could suddenly be homesick when contract extension talks start happening.

If we are making the decision to keep our top 3 pick, then we have made the decision to pick a mid.

And if that is the case, Jy, Will and Tom shouldn’t even come into it.

We have quintupled down on only picking mids with our first choice for eight years. We have to see it through.

For mine, I think it’s madness but anyway.

Be very dubious on outstanding prospect from another state. 2yr contract never fazed NCJ, Port & his management. Do we think a 3yr contract would worry them ? Doubt it.

None of us know what sort of kid Draper is.

If it's line ball, you'd be mad not to go for the Vic kid, I agree.

All going to depend on how we rate them.

SID DRAPER (South Adelaide/Cardijn College) Midfielder, 17, 181cm

“Sid has great speed and power and works really hard. His speed from stoppage is elite. The younger brother of (current South and former Collingwood player) Arlo Draper, I expect him to go quite high in the draft. He reminds me a bit of Chris Judd (dual Brownlow Medallist) with the way he goes about things and his work around the stoppages. Sid is very professional and diligent and wants to do everything well. He’s first class. He ticks a lot of the AFL attributes athletically, professionally and personality wise.’’ – South talent manager and under-18s coach Mark Clayton.

SID DRAPER (South Adelaide/Cardijn College) Midfielder, 17, 181cm

“Sid has great speed and power and works really hard. His speed from stoppage is elite. The younger brother of (current South and former Collingwood player) Arlo Draper, I expect him to go quite high in the draft. He reminds me a bit of Chris Judd (dual Brownlow Medallist) with the way he goes about things and his work around the stoppages. Sid is very professional and diligent and wants to do everything well. He’s first class. He ticks a lot of the AFL attributes athletically, professionally and personality wise.’’ – South talent manager and under-18s coach Mark Clayton.

Would be happy to have Draper or FOS with pick 2.

They both tick the main boxes:
  • athletic qualities
  • damaging
  • tackling
  • character
  • footy IQ?

I mean it's not rocket science is it if you've got those things you're going to go pretty far in today's footy.

There was so much anticipation and expectation of what Finn would produce coming into his top age season, but up to now he's struggle through a series of set backs and never really come close to resembling the footballer of last year and years prior. He again started slowly here in the first quarter, but when he started dancing in the second quarter, showing some of the tricks he can pull out of his bag, things that few other footballers can match, there was a palpable sense of relief and excitement among watchers that finally the real Finn O'Sullivan might be about to stand up. There are still reasons why you might not choose to take him at pick 1, but at least we've again started to see why you just might.

:fire::fire::fire:

Draper is a lifelong Crows fan.

But you are right, the plans will be drawn the minute we call his name.

I have FOS above him for this reason, but he's probably my pick to be the best player from the draft if I had one at this point. He's probably got the highest ceiling also with his pace and agility.

FOS isn't far behind, but even as one of his biggest supporters, you can't ignore the form now. He hasn't had 1 massive game this year and we are well past time surrounding being "underdone" with his earlier injuries.

I'd much rather know if he was battling OP or something.

I think if we don’t pick him - the weagles will

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back